• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

GAF Photography 2008: Assignment Thread 57: Touched/Untouched

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Oct 10, 2005
www.flickr.com
First: Tf53 : Firstly, love your take on the theme. Secondly, the blue tone and sparse feeling of the picture is amazing.

Second: Tieno : Lovely shot. The imperfect blurriness of it lends it some charm, almost like a fleeting moment.

Tieno

May 6, 2006
Belgium
1st: Kawaii: I like the personal story behind the pic.
2nd: AlteredBeast: cool action shot.
mrkgoo said:
tieno: for some reason, this creeps me out. Or maybe it's just embarrassment. Just a bit too close for my liking - not a slam on the photo, just the subject itself kind of makes me blush (and I have to scroll past it quickly at work).
Yeah, I had the photo a bit more cropped out (not much), but I chose this one because it also made me a bit uncomfortable for the same reasons and had more tension.
Kawaii said:
Tieno: Cool idea, their lips aren't touching, but maybe in other ways they are?
Yeah, that was the idea. Physical vs mental.

Tf53

Jan 25, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Winner: Thrillhouse: I love the idea, and the shot is good as well. It's really cool to see what a little bit of retouching can do.

Runner-up: aidan: I really like this shot. It gives you room to interpret it, and the b/w gives it some edge. I would've cropped it so that both sides have just as much black, though, but that's just my budding OCD.

HMs:

mrkgoo: Great composition, and I prefer the b/w version. The scroll wheel on the classic cover is a bit soft, though.

speedpop: Great shot! The soft focus works well here and gives the flower a dreamy feel.

Kawaii: I like the sparse color here, and the composition is good as well. The photo doesn't connect to the theme without the explanation, though.

Other comments:

Tieno: The blurriness bothers me a bit. There's not that much to focus on (no pun intended). The idea of the shot is good, it just didn't connect with me.

Akim: The basic idea is good, and I like the green plant thingy, but I don't really dig the lighting or composition. The Apple products are a bit too far off to the left.

Papi: More like touchable and untouchable, no? :) The only criticism I can think of is that the focus is a bit too soft. Good idea, good composition.

eznark: Nice idea, and the composition is ok as well.

joshschw: I love the shot, but I can't see the connection to the theme. I really like the tones and the atmosphere, though.

Fletcher: I like the OOF background, but I would've preferred all the flowers to be in focus. Some of the topmost flowers are clipped as well, and you have a lot of room at the bottom, so you could've framed it a bit higher.

-xBerserker-: I like the light shining on top of the clouds, but I don't like the trees and mountains in the forefront. Maybe just a closeup of the edge of the cloud would've been even more impressing?

Lucky Forward: Not a bad shot, but as you yourself stated, we've seen quite a few of these. It also takes some explaining to link it to the theme.

Squirrel Killer: Good composition, not a bad idea, but the leaves in the bottom left bother me a bit.

McSpidey: The windmill looks like a giant ostrich! However, apart from the spinning thingy and the traffic sign forming a humoristic couple, there's not much of interest in the photo.

AlteredBeast: A good action shot, but I can't quite figure out the connection to the theme. Also, a tighter crop might've worked better.

re: mine: Thanks for the comments and kind words. I originally went out to shoot the lovely wintery scenery, but once I saw the smoke from behind the trees, I knew this was going to be my entry.

mrkgoo

Jul 7, 2004
Tf53 said:
Great composition, and I prefer the b/w version. The scroll wheel on the classic cover is a bit soft, though.

re: mine: Thanks for the comments and kind words. I originally went out to shoot the lovely wintery scenery, but once I saw the smoke from behind the trees, I knew this was going to be my entry.
Your shot is so great. The theme jumps at you even if you didn't know it was for such a theme.

What do you mean by cover? You just mean the clickwheel? Yeah, I never get full sharpness in macro shots, the DOF is so narrow, even at relatively high aperture values. i could've gone higher though (and I do little processing, so I don't really sharpen).

Lucky Forward

Jun 7, 2004
First: Tf53 - Definitely my favorite take on the theme, and beautifully executed. I like how the shallow focus seems to put the foreground/background on two different planes.

Runner-up: Tieno - Really eye-catching! Has a nice sense of spontaneity and energy.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Oct 26, 2006
First: mrkgoo - Even though you didn't come up the idea first, your execution was top notch. The 'transparent' screens sends it over the top.

Runner-up: Thrillhouse - As soon as I saw this I wish I'd have thought of it first!

Tf53 said:

Runner-up: aidan: I really like this shot. It gives you room to interpret it, and the b/w gives it some edge. I would've cropped it so that both sides have just as much black, though, but that's just my budding OCD.

Thanks. I noticed the extra black space after I had already submitted it and it's been driving me nuts ever since!

The idea I had was to have the face on the left untouched by emotion and to have the face on the right overwhelmed by it. I went with a more subtle route and think I should have pushed my brother's acting skills a little farther for the sake of the theme. As a photo, though, I like the subtly angry look better.

Oct 8, 2004
...well not really, but I couldn't not reference that song.

23 Tf53
12 mrkgoo
6 Papi
5 Thrillhouse
5 Tieno
4 joshschw
4 Kawaii
3 Fletcher
2 speedpop
1 aidan
1 AlteredBeast
1 Lucky Forward
1 McSpidey
0 Akim
0 eznark
0 Squirrel Killer
0 -xBerserker-

The Top Three:
Tf53

mrkgoo

Papi

Qwik stats:
Winning Margin: 11
Entries: 17
Votes: 17
Vote Distribution: 76% (13 of 17)
New Participants: Akim, eznark, Kawaii, speedpop,Tieno

Random trivia:
- You don't even have to touch someone for it to be "assault."

Congratulations Tf53 on your first win!

NeoGAF Photo Assignment Threads FAQ

McSpidey

Feb 25, 2005
Australia
Congrats!

And thanks for the comments for those that left them. I realise my shot was boring but just wanted to submit something anyway :)

mrkgoo

Jul 7, 2004
McSpidey said:
Congrats!

And thanks for the comments for those that left them. I realise my shot was boring but just wanted to submit something anyway :)
I've had my fair share of boring shots (and much worse than yours). Doing it is half the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.