• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography 2008: Assignment Thread 57: Touched/Untouched

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Theme: Touched/Untouched

Submissions are due by Sunday January 4, 2009 at 11:59 pm EST

Voting begins Monday, January 5, 2009 and ends on Tuesday January 6, 2009 at 11:59 pm EST.

1) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.

2) Only one photo per person, per assignment.
-- Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
-- Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
-- You can change your submission by editing your post.
-- To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.
-- Photos should be no larger than 800 pixels on the long edge.

3) One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote. Criticism/comments encouraged.

4) The "winner" should come up with a new theme/time period. Ties are broken first by the number of first choice votes, then by longest time since last win/thread start, then by longest amount of time participating in assignment threads, then by the last time you touched yourself or others.

5) Have fun!

GAF Photography Assignment Threads FAQ

eso76

Three is over already ?
damn, i really wanted to participate with the picture of a damage condom.

Papi

Over the last few days I've been trying to come up with some ideas and I can't think of shit. This topic is fucked! :lol

Papi said:
Over the last few days I've been trying to come up with some ideas and I can't think of shit. This topic is fucked! :lol

Well... my immediate reaction is not to be judgemental about other people's sense of creativity when it comes to creating a subject, but it does seem as though "touched/untouched" is, in fact, two subjects lumped together for the sake of contrast. If there's a point to it, I'm all ears :D

Tieno

Edit: it's my first entry!
29kx56g.jpg

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Papi said:

Same here. The only idea I have would take a model and an oscar award winning makeup team. Back to the drawing board, I think.

Jeff-DSA

I blew my chance at a good shot. We got buried in snow and I was too lazy to get up the next morning and get some sweet shots. Here's hoping I can figure something else out quickly.

eznark

Banned
I'm no photographer, and I took this using my iphone but I got a new hat for Christmas and it made me think of this thread.
3148175778_8e0b6403b5.jpg

Left is brand new, right is after three Brewers seasons (and 6 months of a puppy).

mrkgoo

3149368759_31e9f71a4b_o.jpg

Colour version
EFS60mm f8.0, 1/2s, iso800
EFS60mm f5.6, 1/4s, iso800
EFS60mm f11.0, 1.6s, iso400
(and some trial and error brightness settings :D)

Edit: I think I'll go with the B&W version for now. The illusion is better, but it looks less 'real'. (But more REAL).

Double edit: Dammit! I just looked more closely at Akim's shot. Looks like he easily beat me to it. Don't know why I didn't notice it before. Well, I saw the shot, but I thought it was just an iPhone on its own. Oh well, props to him for the idea first!

Triple edit: My original idea was to take my Shuffle, have an image of it on my touch, as an image on my 5G, as an image on my iPhone. I was going to take it on the carpet, but then got the idea of doing a 'transparent background' effect, which I always wanted to try. But to get the sizes all correct was not possible with a picture of each ipod, so I simplified it.

RSZ_4010ps.jpg

Canon 20D, 10-22 at 10mm, ISO 100, 9 sec, f/14

I really had trouble coming up with something for this, so I wound up recycling an idea I've used before...I hung a flashlight in the dark and gave it a push, let it trace out four loops "untouched", then I gave it a sharp poke with my finger.

Camera model: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Lens: EF 50mm f/1.8 MkII
Focal length: 50 mm
Exposure time: 1/60 second
Aperture: f/1.8
ISO: 100
Post Processing: Crop, adjust curves and levels, bump up saturation, unsharp mask, resize in GIMP.
What I was smoking: Siesta Key Beach, Florida. For ecological reasons, Siesta Key has strict controls regarding beach vegetation. So you'll find these incredibly popular beaches (touched) that you have to trudge through thick growth (untouched) to get to.

aidan

brother-800.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT
Exposure: 0.25 sec (1/4)
Aperture: f/5
Focal Length: 35 mm
ISO Speed: 800
Exposure Bias: 0 EV

Ack! This was a tough one.

mrkgoo

aidan said:

Ack! This was a tough one.

It's a vase, right?

McSpidey

Hi everyone, happy 2009 :)

I went back through my photos of the past week and found one I took while traveling. It's an old windmill that's been untouched for quite some time and is used as a round-about centerpiece.
Windaboutmill.jpg

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Something I was fiddling with on NYE, one of those spur of the moment ideas whilst taking the rubbish out in the afternoon.

touched-untouched.jpg

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
haha! Sorry guys, I had ideas of people taking pictures of one set of footprints through a fresh snow, one unwrapped present contrasting a pile of others wrapped (or vice-versa), old vs. new of something, and etc. :p I didn't think it would be such a hard topic and really, there has been some pretty fantastic takes on the topic.

Regardless, here is my entry from my trip to the Bahamas.

Click to enlarge. :)

Kawaii

Are we open to late submissions?
If so, i'd like to add one:

3170617916_ef51c9d879.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi (450D)
Lens: EF-S 18-55mm IS
ISO Speed: 400
Retouching: The Black and White, Cropping and minor Contrast/Sharpening.
What was i smoking?
Besides the obvious Touched/Untouched theme, the B/W, there also is an extra layer.
My girlfriend once gave me this photoframe with a drawing of herself by herself, with the intention of once giving me a photo of her to put in the frame, but somehow she never did. And since then, the frame has been left untouched in the corner of my room, although everytime i see it, it makes me think of her and how happy I am we're still together.

First time submitting to the assignment thread, and excuse my crappy english.

mrkgoo

I'm not sure if it's still handled like this, but we used to accept law entries until entries were collated into a single post for voting.

aidan

Tieno said:

Akim said:

Papi said:
GAFPhotoThread57.jpg

Canon EOS 450D, 1/13 seconds, f/4.0, ISO 200

Thrillhouse said:
3144559245_29ddef7d60.jpg

Touched -- Untouched

Tf53 said:

eznark said:
3148175778_8e0b6403b5.jpg

Left is brand new, right is after three Brewers seasons (and 6 months of a puppy).

joshschw said:

mrkgoo said:
3149368759_31e9f71a4b_o.jpg

Colour version
EFS60mm f8.0, 1/2s, iso800
EFS60mm f5.6, 1/4s, iso800
EFS60mm f11.0, 1.6s, iso400
(and some trial and error brightness settings :D)

Fletcher said:

-xBerserker- said:

Lucky Forward said:
RSZ_4010ps.jpg

Canon 20D, 10-22 at 10mm, ISO 100, 9 sec, f/14

Squirrel Killer said:

Camera model: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Lens: EF 50mm f/1.8 MkII
Focal length: 50 mm
Exposure time: 1/60 second
Aperture: f/1.8
ISO: 100
Post Processing: Crop, adjust curves and levels, bump up saturation, unsharp mask, resize in GIMP.
What I was smoking: Siesta Key Beach, Florida. For ecological reasons, Siesta Key has strict controls regarding beach vegetation. So you'll find these incredibly popular beaches (touched) that you have to trudge through thick growth (untouched) to get to.

aidan said:
brother-800.jpg

McSpidey said:

speedpop said:

AlteredBeast said:

Click to enlarge. :)

Kawaii said:
3170617916_ef51c9d879.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi (450D)
Lens: EF-S 18-55mm IS
ISO Speed: 400
Retouching: The Black and White, Cropping and minor Contrast/Sharpening.
What was i smoking?
Besides the obvious Touched/Untouched theme, the B/W, there also is an extra layer.
My girlfriend once gave me this photoframe with a drawing of herself by herself, with the intention of once giving me a photo of her to put in the frame, but somehow she never did. And since then, the frame has been left untouched in the corner of my room, although everytime i see it, it makes me think of her and how happy I am we're still together.

Have at 'er!

aidan

AlteredBeast said:
haha! Sorry guys, I had ideas of people taking pictures of one set of footprints through a fresh snow, one unwrapped present contrasting a pile of others wrapped (or vice-versa), old vs. new of something, and etc. :p I didn't think it would be such a hard topic and really, there has been some pretty fantastic takes on the topic.

Hah! I had those exact two ideas, but figured I should be more clever because everyone would think of it. In the end, no one did and I missed my opportunity to capture both...

:D

mrkgoo

1st choice: Tf53

Exactly what I had in mind - not as something to do myself, just what sprung into mind when I saw the theme. Just the idea of industry on the natural world (I took some images that were similar in the past week, but not as good). Your shot here captures both very well as a great juxtaposition of elements, in particular the direction of the cloud of smoke opposing the direction of the grass. A great photo.

Runner up: kawaii

This was tough. I think because a lot of theme interpretations are not immediately obvious and require some explanation, and the ones that are more obvious don't immediately catch your eye as great photos. Initially, I had Akim here to give props for having the idea first (even though I wasn't looking close enough), but I changed (see comments).

Comments:

Akim: great take on the theme! ;)

tieno: for some reason, this creeps me out. Or maybe it's just embarrassment. Just a bit too close for my liking - not a slam on the photo, just the subject itself kind of makes me blush (and I have to scroll past it quickly at work).

papi: A good idea - touch flower, untouched thorns? But it doesn't seem that dynamic an image to me.

thrillhouse: Neat take, and solid execution. An honourable mention for sure.

eznark: I like it. simple, and effective. Well done.

joshschw: A great photo! The them isn't all that obvious, however.

fletcher: your shot nearly looks like a painting!

xberserker: A great idea, but somehow missing something. I really like the idea of something being 'touched' by light, but I think there could've been more here.

Lucky Forward: I nearly voted this in runnerup, because I really like the photo.

Squirrel Killer: Nice! I like how you use DOF to highlight the 'untouched'.

Aidan: Very cool shot - Still figuring out if that is a combined shot? And I still don't get the theme. :/. But a very cool photo, nevertheless. I like how it engages me - you think it's a mirror at first, but then it doesn't match. So you keep staring.

McSpidey: Nice. Maybe it's just me being a bit cynical this week, but it seems a bit unexciting. I keep imagining what it would be like closeup...

Speedpop: Nice shot, but it seems a little dark to me.

altered beast: i don't get the theme. But it does capture some energy. :)

kawaii: Actually, I really liked this shot - sure it requires some explanation, but I enjoy how it being 'untouched', touches me. I really probably should've put this in runner up. You know, What the heck, I'm changing my vote (fake edit). I have tons of untouched frames too, not from a girlfriend, just hoping to fill one day, so I know the feeling.

A bit of a slow week, it seems. Maybe the holiday season put a damper on things - I'm not in NZ anymore so I know few people around me and have a bit more time to devote to messing about with photography (though it is winter, and a bit of a dreary one at that). I guess the weather and my kind of combination boredom/loneliness has made me a little bit cynical and negative this week. Apologies. But well done, regardless! Keep those creative juices flowing...(it's more than I have been doing!)

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I don't get Akim's entry. :(

What is it supposed to be?

my votes:

1. TF53 (amazing take on the theme, this is the shot I was hoping for!)
2. McSpidey

Kawaii

First:Papi
Second: Speedpop

Papi: Love the shot, looks great especially the untouchable thorns, cool depth of field
Speedpop:

Runnerups :D :

Tieno: Cool idea, their lips aren't touching, but maybe in other ways they are?

Akim: Nice take, iPod Touch/NoTouch

Thrillhouse: Cool photo, nice retouching

Tf53: Great take on the theme, but for some reason the photo doesn't appeal to me as much.

Eznark: Nice idea for the theme

joshschw; I like the photo, but the border around it not so much.

mrkgoo: Just as Akim an awesome take on the theme with an extra addition of the Touchpad. I don't know if i like the transparency of the screens as much.

Fletcher: I like the photo, although it's a bit noisy.

-xberserker-: I like how the light touches a part of the sky, even though the photo doesn't appeal to me.

Ah, damn, i have to go, i'll make sure to write some comments to the rest of the photos. I'm just a beginner, but i like to receive comments to my own photos too so i'll try to give some feedback to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom