• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Plays Rogue Galaxy

Woo-Fu

Banned
Mejilan said:
I'll cheat for real before I ever go through THAT particular hassle.

Was no hassle at all. Achieving my goal of 100% synthesis without using that method, now that would have been a hassle. :)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
It'd be a hassle to me. Or, at least, speeding things up with an Action Replay/Code Breaker code would be a whole lot less of a hassle! ;p

mintylurb

Mejilan said:
Does that only manifest in certain locations? Because so far, so good.
It's been a while so but i noticed them a lot in the jungle planet. Seriously, if you don't notice screen tearing then i envy you.

I would pay money to see Mejilan play Persona 3 or 4, maxing out all the Personas to lv99 then finding a new ability to put on a whole bunch and then levelling them all up to 99 again.

Mejilan

Haha, I've been thinking about playing Persona 3 FES, but I decided to hit up RG instead. I'm kind of burning out on turn-based RPGs, recently, and would like to save some room for Dragon Quest V. That said, I did grind up to level 99 in Etrian Odyssey... twice.

mintylurb said:
It's been a while so but i noticed them a lot in the jungle planet. Seriously, if you don't notice screen tearing then i envy you.

My eyes are not proof against screen tearing, sadly. But I'm still only in the very first area of RG, and I haven't noticed it YET.

Rolf NB

Mejilan said:
Thanks, but I did finish most of DC2, so I know more or less about the synthesis. :)
I haz no Dark Clouds, so I don't know how it compares. I'm just trying to make you approach it with slightly reduced levels of OCD, after reading your story about maxing 20 weapons IN THE FIRST TOWN. Please don't do that to yourself. What you should do is never sell a weapon, always throw leftovers into the crafting system as soon as you can, but don't buy (and max) all those extras. There's no point in doing EVERY combination. Seriously, none. You get a big fat nothing for doing it all. Not even unique synthesis results. Nada, njiente, garnichts.

To make the best weapon for any given character, you can just as well buy two of the most expensive ones in the last town and fuse them. It's the exact same result as fifty hours of meticulous synth grinding :\

Just enjoy your game ?_°

Reilly

I already put over 100 hours into the game. Not gonna play it again. :lol

I even did the overly-repetitive enemy guide/collection.

Mejilan

In the jungles now, and still enjoying myself somewhat. Combat's a pretty big improvement over DC2, so far. Also, less bullshit to dilute the experience.

Mejilan

Oh man. I'm in the office, and all I wanted to do was call out to stay home and play this. Alas.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I've had this since it launched and never touched it. Since Last Remnant is turning out to be a load of horsehit, I might join up...

Mejilan

Do it! Do it! Do it! Join in!

Brandon, once the PC version of TLR hits, start up a GAF Plays thread for it and I'll mercy-join!

Edit - Also, the "rouge" was inevitable, so I thought I'd pre-empt things.

Kauza

Played this and loved it to death when it first came out. It was exactly the game I wanted to play right around that time--loved the battles, the factory, and was OK with the story. I'm pretty confident in saying that I'd still enjoy it if I played it now. I'll be joining you in spirit on your playthru, Mejilan.

Haunted

Mejilan said:
:lol

Oh dear, perhaps starting this game was a mistake.
I've got 2:30 hours on the clock, and I haven't even bothered to leave the starting dungeon/area and take out the first boss. I got to that first shop, and promptly decided to farm money until I cleared him out of all of his non-infinity inventory. This included 5x each of 4 different weapon types.

While I had all of those spare weapons, I figured I'd skill-max all of them, in case I'd be opening up weapon synthesis sometime in the near future. Also, since I already have the Battle Recorder, I decided to clear off the 7 available hunts, each dedicated to one of the monster types that frequent this area. Sadly, some of these bastards are quite a bit rarer than others, and having to farm 20-30 of 'em... Yeah, it took a while. Thankfully, the last of these hunts ended around the same time I finished skill-maxing the 20 purchased weapons (and whatever weapons I started with/found up to this point.)

In the process, I also managed to MASTER two weapons accidentally. I imagine this means that I not only skill-maxed them, but also maxed out all of their elemental attributes! Wow!

So yeah. Woops.
what the hell man

seriously what the hell

stuminus3

For shits 'n' giggles, try running this game on a real PS2 using that Xploder HDTV disk to force the output to 480p.

Game runs twice as fast as it's supposed to. It's kinda funny to see.

botticus

Mejilan said:
Haha, are the mimics that bad?!
Depends on the context. They're a pain in the ass everywhere, but in some of the more difficult dungeons, you start to fear opening chests.

Rolf NB

Mejilan said:
Haha, are the mimics that bad?!
They are much stronger than the normal enemies in any given area, and they get ever stronger as you progress through the game. If you're not ready for a serious battle, they can be quite dangerous.

Aeana

Well, I decided to go ahead and dive in. So far, I'm in Juraika and I just got the power glove... not too far in, but I'm not hating it. Somehow. It has all sorts of stuff I should hate, but I'm not. Pretty weird. I guess time will tell. I really love the story recap when you go to load a game, by the way.

If I had to list one complaint so far, I guess it would be with the interface. It's typical Level-5 "pretty, but barely functional," and certain things about it are starting to get to me. Especially changing equipment through the 'Allies' screen -- there's way too many button presses there.

Either way, it's held my interest so far. We'll see how it goes.

KTallguy

Banned
Horrible game that starts out amazing and becomes mind numbing very quickly.
I say about 75% of you guys quit at the 2 towers :lol

Aeana

I can't believe that you have to use an item from the inventory to initiate weapon synthesis. Why isn't it just an option in the menu? It's not really a big deal, I guess... but the list of 'minor' interface issues is growing by the minute. :\

Aeana said:
I can't believe that you have to use an item from the inventory to initiate weapon synthesis. Why isn't it just an option in the menu? It's not really a big deal, I guess... but the list of 'minor' interface issues is growing by the minute. :\

It's not just that you have to use an item from the inventory, it's that the item is
a frog mutated by magic, that eats the weapons and spits out a new version

Have you unlocked any costumes yet? Unfortunately they are mostly superficial, but it does seem to have been the step towards armour showing up on the characters in WKC.

Red Scarlet said:
I would pay money to see Mejilan play Persona 3 or 4, maxing out all the Personas to lv99 then finding a new ability to put on a whole bunch and then levelling them all up to 99 again.

This. Someone start up a fund.

Mejilan

Just killed my first mimic. Man, some of you are a bunch of pansies! ;p
Punk gave me some weird hunter coin.

Aeana

Mejilan said:

Or they didn't grind for two and a half hours at the start of the game. :eek:

Mejilan

4 hours. After the boss, and before heading towards the pirate ship to further the story, I found that the desert town's original shop restocked, and two more shops. Of course, I had to farm zehn (this time with just Jaster) until I could afford to clean out all three shops.

I have learned my lesson, though. I'm content with maxing (not mastering) 1 of each type of weapon, instead of x number of each time of weapon.

Also, it's not like Kisala and Zegram are overleveled, and that's who I fought the mimic with!

Edit - Nice! Just got into my first 2 challenge battles and won my second and third hunter coins! Finish a bunch of fools in 30 seconds (took me 7) and finish another bunch of fools without taking damage!

I'm sure there are FAQs that tell you exactly how many of each weapon you need to complete all the synths for each character.

Edit: Can't seem to find anything, I'm sure I used one though. Maybe I'm confusing it with another game.

Mejilan said:

It's definitely possible... I've killed a few, I avoid them now though. They are lvl99 enemies and the coins aren't worth it to me for my first run through this sucker. Just wait, they will get harder! :D

Aeana

I've killed a few mimics on Juraika. Illusion Sword is really good against them.

As for my progress, I just
got the Freeze Shot repaired
and I'm done for tonight. The difficulty really jumped up out of nowhere for me... the spider enemies are really tough.

Dave Long

Banned
I started the game last night and I'm on Juraika at the first save point you find deeper into the jungle. Haven't gotten to town yet.

I'm really digging the combat system. There's nothing like numbers flying off everyone's heads to get me excited about a fight! And I say that with all seriousness. I feel like the game is constantly throwing information at me at a lightning fast pace, which makes the times you sit and watch some CG interlude almost relaxing.

I can't imagine anyone not well-versed in RPGs really digging this game, though. Their head would explode after about fifteen minutes of all the popup Hints and the way everyone's shouting at you to help them make decisions during combat.

The game's cast and some of its design have what seem like obvious parallels to Final Fantasy X. It's like Sony said to Level 5, "Hey, can you kind of remake that game but different, and with real-time fights?"

And man, as soon as Steve Blum starts talking it's like I've stepped off the set of Rogue Galaxy and onto the set of Cowboy Bebop. Guy's agent must hand him parts like this ("Pirates! In space! You're the coolest of them all!") and you can just hear him saying, <Blumvoice>"Yeah. This part's for me."</Blumvoice> It's not that he's bad or anything, but man, they have to start casting outside the box once in awhile for this stuff.

Anyway, haven't done any grinding at all and I'm not having any problems with the fights yet. Popping health potions (or whatever this game calls them) like candy when necessary. The first boss fight was cool, and as Mejilan noted, the cutscene when you leave the desert planet is thumbs up stuff.

I think what I like best is the character design and the setting. Space is just completely underused as an RPG setting. I'd love to see a harder sci-fi edge in some new game, and not Phantasy Star style either. It's great to have both swords and guns. The game also reminds me of Skies of Arcadia at times, obviously.

Anyway, good start to the game! I'm definitely going back to it tonight. Looking forward to finding one of these party destroying Mimics.

Mejilan

Good to see you enjoying it. I agree with most of your comments so far. I love the information overload in combat, though it quickly becomes rather manageable, and thank the gaming gods for being able to suppress unnecessary recommendations with L3. JASTER! JASTER! JASTER!!! Hahaha.

Got a bit pwned by the first jungle boss. You know that froggy thing with the tentacle rape fetish. Not so much that it was difficult. I always tend to hand back in such encounters to see if I can determine some kind of pattern. Problem is that my two companions bum-rushed the thing, got caught in two (!) chain lightning attacks, and died simultaneously. As it was already midnight, I just shut it off for the night. Ready to go again once I'm out of work, though!

Aeana

I had a heck of a time with that boss, but the lightning thing is blockable... so I could manage to keep Jaster from taking too much damage, and wasted 2 potions every time instead of 3!

Mejilan

I survived it just fine. The other two morons went down in seconds, though. Which is odd, because doesn't that new chick have a bow and arrow as her primary weapon? She shouldn't be rushing shit! :lol

Dave Long

Banned
That reminds me, the GAME OVER screen and subsequent long delay to get back to playing after various screens and load times is kinda crap... BUT, the fact that it's one streaming world is awesome. There were times when I was going into and out of buildings in the desert town and I'd stand there waiting for the load time transition to an interior room or back to the outside... and it never happens!

That was pretty jarring and I never really got acclimated to it. I'm so used to the load times for new rooms in RPGs that it's turned my world completely upside down! I wonder if White Knight Story does the same thing? It's an incredibly satisfying change the status quo and really keeps things moving.

Also digging the fact that I don't have to talk to anyone inconsequential to the plot and I don't feel like I'm missing anything either. Every now and then someone will look a little out of place or unique and I'll chat with them and get some boilerplate reply, but the more that happens, the less I care about them being there. They do help make the world come alive, though.

I survived it just fine. The other two morons went down in seconds, though. Which is odd, because doesn't that new chick have a bow and arrow as her primary weapon? She shouldn't be rushing shit!

The AI companions do seem like a couple of boobs (haha... pun intended with Kisala) from what I've seen so far. They're fine in a regular fight, but don't seem well-suited to boss fights.

Mejilan

Yep, I've noticed that. But I also haven't played around with their AI parameters yet, so we might be able to mitigate their boss-fight stupidity somewhat.

Yeah, the no loads thing is quite nice. Even better in my case, since I'm running it off the HDD. If anything, I'm kind of annoyed by the story summary when loading a save. It's convenient if you've put the game down for an extended period of time, but it seems like it was created to "hide" the initial load. Unfortunately for me, that load bar is at 100% and done before the second or third line of the summary fades in. And I've still got to wait for the entire screen's worth to fade in before I can start the game! Shame they didn't make it skip-able once the load is completed!

Rolf NB

On the froggy boss I ended up switching to Lilika and needling him to death with bow shots (Lilika has infinite ranged ammo per fight, unlike the others) while telling the other two to stand back. If you stay out of the water, his attacks don't even reach you.

Aeana

Finally got off of Juraika, and I got a silly outfit for Jaster, too.

I'm still not sure how much I like the game, but it's still got me engaged a little bit.

Munin

I've been considering getting the game ever since its announcement for NA. The thing is, I might probably not be bothered too much by a stupid story or superficial characters, but I wonder, how is the atmosphere of the game? It looks like the sort of space opera thing that Star Ocean 3 promised but never delivered. So is it good in that department? Do I get the feeling I'm traveling around this awesome space world on awesome planets?

Mejilan

Too soon for me to tell. But from what I've seen so far, I would imagine that 99.5% of the gameplay revolves around the actual planets. I don't think there's going to be much, if any, actual space exploration. I could be wrong, though!

Top Bottom