• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF PLAYS: Transport Tycoon Deluxe (or, the free OpenTTD on a GAF server)

jvupg.png

"Transport Tycoon (TT) and Transport Tycoon Deluxe (TTD) are Video games developed by Chris Sawyer and published by MicroProse in 1994 (TT), and 1995 (TTD). They are business simulation games, presented in an isometric view in 2D with graphics by Simon Foster, in which the player is in control of a transport company, and can compete against rival companies to make as much profit as possible by transporting passengers and various goods by road, rail, sea and air. The Deluxe version is an expanded and improved version of the original game."
-- Wikipedia​

eWPso.png

"OpenTTD is an open source simulation game based upon the popular Microprose game "Transport Tycoon Deluxe", written by Chris Sawyer. It attempts to mimic the original game as closely as possible while extending it with new features.
OpenTTD is licensed under the GNU General Public License version 2.0. For more information, see the file COPYING included with every release and source download of the game."
-- OpenTTD website

One of these new features is an online mode with persistent dedicated servers. You can join a server, build some trading routes and when you leave the server those routes will continue to work while earning you money.

I have set up a dedicated server for NeoGAF members to join. You can each make your own company, you can share a company between several gaffers or if you want, just make it private with a password so that you have control over those that join.​

uDavX.png

Because finals are over and Steam sales haven't started yet. Also the game is extremely fun and addictive.
Personally I keep coming back to this game every year I spend a couple of months on it, I usually try to bring some friends but they're not easily convinced, so this time I decided to just get some gaffers to join in on the fun.​

Co9dX.png

Just click the download link on the banner of this OP and choose the OS you want (Windows/MacOS/Linux). There is also an Android that works just fine on the GAF server. You can it here:

The game is saved server side so switching between a PC and a tablet is seamless.

After you install it you can choose to use the original game files to have the same graphics and sound effects/music of the original. If you do own the original simply copy the baseset and gm folders from the original game into the OpenTTD folder. If you don't own the game, no problem, OpenTTD lets you download a remade version of the files.

To join the NeoGAF server simply search for a server of the same name. The server is password protected so simply quote this OP to see the full server details.​

v2rSt.png

The game can be a little intimidating when you first join, but it's actually quite simple once you get the basics. I will put a small tutorial here soon, in the meanwhile I will be ingame to help anyone that needs it.

You can also get a manual for the game here:
http://wiki.openttd.org/OpenTTD

uJFOJ.png

Hope to see many gaffers joining in on this. I never played with more then 3 people, and seeing a server filled with railroads from many different players will surely be a new challenge.

See you on the server, I hope!

KrayzeeGloo

Neo Member
I've actually been pretty tempted to try this out. Only thing preventing me is knowing how much Tycoon games suck all of my time away.

I wasnt aware the tycoon games were multiplayer. How does that work?

The original version did have multiplayer (2 players through direct ip), but OpenTTD expanded on that with dedicated servers up to as many players as you want.

It works pretty much like the singleplayer, except the competitors are real people this time, and one company can be controlled by serveral people at the same time, but they share the same money. The game is stored server side so even if you leave, your vehicles will keep on running and earning you money.

RyanDG

Okay. Set me up. I haven't played TT in forever so I'm going to have a huge learning curve here.

Edit - Just saw the server details. Hopping on in just a few minutes then.

Not sure I'm going to play this again, mainly because I've spent hundreds of hours playing TT and TTD back in the days, frequently until 2005 or so.

But I can vouch for that game. To me it is the best simulation ever. Certainly the most addictive in my eyes.

To everyone that finds the font to be too small, I figured out how to fix it. Open the openttd.cfg file inside OpenTTD root folder and change these options.

small_font =
medium_font = TahomaBold
large_font = TahomaBold
small_size = 10
medium_size = 16
large_size = 20

Choose a font and size that suits you.

I'll join in once you get a tutorial up :)

I'm currently ingame giving personal tutorials to everyone :p

Haha, that city isn't actually that great. I already redirected all my trucks from it to another one.

Current Operating Prophit Growth.

C75Oh.png

Nevasleep kicking all our asses.

StayDead

I may join up tommorow if there's any space left, I played soo much of this game when I was younger and last year I played for like 12 hours straight with having it in the background, it's such a lovely little game.

I may join up tommorow if there's any space left, I played soo much of this game when I was younger and last year I played for like 12 hours straight with having it in the background, it's such a lovely little game.

There's more then enough space. Max companies is 20, and we've haven't even reached 10.

Server will be running 24/7

Jintor

Goddamn... thinking about it. Though it doesn't help every time I've returned to TTD I've fucked up hardcore and run my company into the ground.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
WTF. "Can't build here, site is unsuitable." Despite the fact the area I'm highlighting is plain ground.

cheesetom

To everyone that finds the font to be too small, I figured out how to fix it. Open the openttd.cfg file inside OpenTTD root folder and change these options.

small_font =
medium_font = TahomaBold
large_font = TahomaBold
small_size = 10
medium_size = 16
large_size = 20

Choose a font and size that suits you.

I'm currently ingame giving personal tutorials to everyone :p

These settings don't seem to work? I replaced 10/16/20 with 20/24/30 and see no difference.

Acidote

There are things that could use some improvement, but I guess they just want it to be as much as TTD as they can, but whne I logged in this morning lots of my vehicles had dissapeared (destroyed) just because I went to sleep haha.

Oh, and a few guys have started working in MY cities. This is war.

Am downloading now, it looks cool.

I was playing SimCity 4 the other day, is it kind of similar to that game?

EDIT: its completely different, to youtube to find tutorials!

Top Bottom