• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF: Recommend me some of your favourite recent (W)RPG games

Rheon

Looking to get into some RPGs and I need some recs. I've put W in brackets because while I'm not really looking for JRPGs, I'm still open to recommendations for some decent ones.

Recent is released in the last 5 years or so.

About me: I'm usually more into the fantasy/magic side of things. I've played Oblivion, Skyrim, TW3 and DA:I so I guess those can be used as a guide as to what I like.

Chukhopops

The two I would recommend without a doubt are Divinity: Original Sin 2 and Pillars of eternity 2, with a preference for the former if you have to choose.

DOS 2 is pretty much the perfect game in my opinion, amazing combat, deep combat system, insane replayability, fantastic writing and characters, stunning OST, it’s a gift from the gods.

POE2 is a lot worse compared to it but the world building, lore, writing are spectacular and the 2D environments are beautiful.

You can’t go wrong with either.

Rheon

The two I would recommend without a doubt are Divinity: Original Sin 2 and Pillars of eternity 2, with a preference for the former if you have to choose.

DOS 2 is pretty much the perfect game in my opinion, amazing combat, deep combat system, insane replayability, fantastic writing and characters, stunning OST, it’s a gift from the gods.

POE2 is a lot worse compared to it but the world building, lore, writing are spectacular and the 2D environments are beautiful.

You can’t go wrong with either.

I've heard good things about DOS 2 so I think I'll try that next, plus it looks beautiful.

And PoE 2 sounds interesting. All I know about PoE is that it's set in the same universe as Avowed is, which I'm really looking forward to. Might be a good idea for me to play that pre-Avowed to get into the lore.

Thanks for the recommendations.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I second Divinity OS2. You can even play it with friends. Hm what else, ofc Witcher 3 if you haven't played it by now, Pathfinder Kingmaker is nice as well and the next one is releasing in just a few months. Kingdome Come Deliverance for a more realistic type of rpg. If you haven't played Yakuza Like a Dragon(yes I know its not W) you should. Deus EX HR and MD are also incredible. etc.

Guilty_AI

About me: I'm usually more into the fantasy/magic side of things. I've played Oblivion, Skyrim, TW3 and DA:I so I guess those can be used as a guide as to what I like.
If you own skyrim on steam, try checking out Enderal. Its a free total conversion mod that basically works as a complete new game with its own map, story, setting, etc.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I've been reading too much WRPG lately, never seen people refer to most RPG's like that few months back. It was mostly RPG in general and JRPG.

So that puts The Division 2 in that genre, right? Then I recommend that as it's dirt cheap now.

Crpgs are now wrpgs so like, what happens to crpgs? I guess they launch on console and are called wrpgs is what.

I didn't like Outer Worlds. It started good but gradually became a massive chore with very shallow loot/perks/weapon systems.

Divinity Original Sin 2 is fantastic. A marvelous turn based battle system. Can't wait for the sequel Divinity's Gate 3 a.k.a. Baldur's Gate 3.

Aaaaaand that's it.

Time for the real wrpgs...

The Weeb-rpgs:

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Illusive Age
Persona 5 Royal
Yakuza 7: Like a Dragon

Oh you could probably just watch the second half of this informative video covering every major crpg of the last 10 years:

Last edited:

RetroAV

I can vouch for the first one (loved it!), but I've also heard the 2nd one is good as well.

1-KotOR_I_and_II_Boxart.jpg

NVM, didn't notice you said RECENT. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

marcincz

It's not fantasy/magic, but you should try Kingdom Come: Deliverance.
One of the best (w)rpg I've ever played.

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey

Good game. You start as helpless baby. You will have new view of life after you play it.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I haven't played too many RPGs recently, but I did play Biomutant and it's ok. Far from terrible, but not amazing by any means.

Demon's Souls is probably the most recent amazing RPG I've played.

Fredrik

If you have a PC, play through Cyberpunk 2077, it gets shat on here but just ignore that noise, it’s a great RPG and the immersion is top notch, download immersive first person mod as well to take it even further.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
The Elder Scrolls Online is fun to mess around in. You don't have to party up with others for most of the content.

Mozzarella

Based on what you like, I highly recommend Kingdom Come Deliverance, its a slow game at first and at first its really tough but survival at the first was fun for me and figuring out the game mechanics was very enjoyable, it legit caught me by surprise due to how much journalists and casuals ignored it. The game also made me stop playing whatever i was playing and immerse myself into it for straight 3 weeks.
The game has as a said tough start but figuring out its mechanics is the first fun part, the second fun part comes after learning and mastering its combat, the third and last fun part comes from the story and its characters. Those are my stages with the game at least. It's first person and will somehow give you Oblivion vibes, but imo its much better than Oblivion. It also educated me on historical stuff.

If you dont care for a recommendation based on what you like, i highly, highly recommend Divinity Original Sin 2, its one of the best Role Playing games ever made, if you like excellent turn based combat, inspired mechanics, and great rpg elements and mechanics you owe it to yourself to give this game a shot. Also this game is tough at the beginning, but if you stay with it and learn it slowly you will find a great amount of gameplay depth. It is a bit overwhelming at first but after that it will consume your time, its very addicting. It has fantasy setting, style of rpg based on D&D games so its traditional cRPG.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Shadowrun Trilogy is currently free on GOG.

They're basically sci-fi mixed with cyberpunk mixed with fantasy. The combat is turn-based tactics, though.
The characters and the world are very interesting. The music is very atmospheric, especially in Dragonfall.
They're free, so you can't go wrong with it.

bbeach123

Last one is cyberpunk if its count , b4 that is fallout 4 and witcher 3 .

Dunno why I dont like top down wrpg , I can read hundreds fantasy novel but too much words in game make me feel tired .

Looking to get into some RPGs and I need some recs. I've put W in brackets because while I'm not really looking for JRPGs, I'm still open to recommendations for some decent ones.

Fallout 4
Dragon Quest 11
Persona 5

KiteGr

By the W in the tittle I assume you don't want Jrpgs.

Let's see:
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Disco Elisium
Mass Effect
if you haven't played it by now, but avoid Andromeda
Witcher as well.
The Souls games are Japanese, but they don't show it.
There are plenty of good Tactical RPG coming out recently like Tiranny.
If you are looking for something similar to Diablo, there is nothing better than Path of Exile, and it's about to get a sequel.

TaroYamada

Yakuza Like A Dragon. Great game, funny, I'm 30 hours in now and still loving it. Bonus: it's on game pass. Outer Worlds is okay but the constant undertone to the writing kind of sucks.

Arx fatalis (pc, xbox)
Ultima underworld one and two (pc)
Orcs and Elves (ds)
The Quest (android)

Theme here is first person wrpg. I tried to just think of the hidden gems.

KàIRóS

Kinda suprised that no one has mentioned Planescape Torment yet.

Still to this day some of the best storytelling in gaming.

wGi5m9O.jpg

EDIT: Haha never read the "recent" part in the title well I'm going to cheat and recommend the spiritual succesor Torment: Tides to Numenera, not as good as the one above but still a good WRPG.

oUQJJ5a.jpg

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Do you like turn-based RPGs? If so, keep an eye out for the full release of Baldur's Gate III next year. Nothing's going to top that for a long while.

Also, check out Solasta (free right now via Game Pass).

If you're all about real-time action, people here have already given you solid recommendations.

Top Bottom