• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Redux - An introspective dialogue

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
Heya folks!

As you know we've recently got the upgrade in place which required some hard work from our resident admins and got GAF Gold integrated with the new platform. It's no secret that we've got plenty more things on the way, and we're dedicated to reworking how these type of cross platform/interest communities are shaped going forward. For those that stuck around in the early days, to those that came back and to those who just lurk we say 'Welcome' and 'Thanks'. You folks are the quorum of the 'new' Neogaf and we really feel that the principles, behaviours and core values are shared between the members and the team. You may not see us much, but this is a good thing! We are there in the background just trying to keep things on course with light touches every now and again.

The community has a whole has grown in a sustainable and organic way and we feel this will continue over the coming year. The basic concept of a forum - as we've recognised before - has changed. We have forum software, and what we're doing is turning this into a platform that meets the current needs of people engaged in videogames. Monolithic catch-all portals are now largely defunct, but the fractured nature of content makes it difficult to have a one-stop shop to remain current and abreast. This is our challenge going forward.

While the team have our own desires and aims that we believe will overlap with our members needs, it would be remiss of us if we didn't also engage with the community and just see how you folk are all getting on. What are your feelings about where we are now as a community? Are there things you feel we could be doing better? Are there things we are doing well? Do you have any ideas or suggestions to share? We can't promise to take every idea or suggestion, but what we'll do is a move any noteworthy ones to a mod forum to track things we feel have merit or bonus. They won't be instant obviously but if we have early sight of some of them, we may be able to do some quick wins that make a difference to you using the site.

So gather round the bonfire (it is a bonfire, not a pyre) and share your thoughts.

GracefulMajorJunebug-max-1mb.gif

Thabass

I'm very happy this topic came up.

First I wanted to say I think you guys are doing a fantastic job. You all (mods, admins, community members) have been more than welcoming when I came back from the other place. The less hands-on approach seems to be working and letting the users police more about what they want to see and don't want to see.

And it feels like this community has really evolved since the last time I was here. I wanted to ask if you guys had any ideas on getting or hiring a community manager (unless EviLore EviLore already fills this role haha). I know mods manage the community at-large, but, do you guys have any plans to bring NeoGAF to a more social place like Twitter and such things. I think there's a lot of great conversations here and I think a lot of the internet could have a banger time hanging out and I feel like social media could play a bigger role in NeoGAF.

Thanks for listening!

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
My suggestion is to make these kind of threads from the staff highlighted in the top of the forum for a few days in all the forums. Making this all the users can see the news and don't miss the updates. Highlighted from a normal thread so the users know this is a thread from the staff.

That's a great first step :messenger_clapping: . Now make it sticky in the top for a few days in all the subforums so all the users can see the updates. Not all the users read all the forums so this will help the users that only visit one subforum and don't see the others.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've been around for a while and I'm happy to see the direction that GAF is moving. Moderation is a lot more "hands off" than it was in the past and as a result I feel like people are more willing to speak their mind or make their arguments or just be themselves which is a rare thing to find online these days. A lot of us are gaming enthusiasts and many of you collectively have more first hand knowledge in gaming / technology than anyone could hope to find on the net. Just last week I complained about how my Rock Band guitar was breaking down, and multiple people offered up potential fixes as well as products I could buy to remedy the situation with whole-hearted recommendations, and I think that's brilliant and one of the reasons I keep coming back to GAF day in and day out.

The gaming forum gets news really quickly and by the time I see it there are generally a dozen or so replies, often well thought out and well articulated with a huge decrease in the drive by shitposting we used to see on GAF. Love it or hate it, the like button seems to cut back on a lot of the "oh yeah" and "this guy gets it" posts that used to run rampant here. I don't see a lot of the super-politicized threads in gaming, especially compared to the way it was years ago - the ones that do show up here are in a pretty stark contrast with how they go down on other sites. The threads like this one the OP seems to be framing the topic as an argument or rally cry that it's something we should be offended about, yet the overwhelming majority of posters swoop in and say "dude, this is normal and nothing to get worked up over" and steer the thread to actual discussion without the whole thing ending in a doxxing campaign or trying to get the developers fired on Twitter.

While I barely visited Off-Topic before the big GAF exodus so I don't have much to compare it to, now it feels like a great online community where people can just shoot the shit or talk about their interests outside of gaming. Politics I stay away from (for my own mental health) but the fact that they're no longer part of Off-Topic is a big reason why I even frequent Off-Topic nowadays, so in my mind that's working out great and the board seems pretty active from an outside glance. The Discord integration is pretty neat too since logging in after hanging out in Off-Topic for a while almost felt like walking into Cheers.

On the technology side of things, I have no complaints. The site seems really speedy and responsive, the new modern theme admittedly took a bit of getting used to but I definitely prefer it now. We've got Twitch integration, the previously mentioned Discord integration, giveaways, and NeoGAF Gold is now a reality and it's pretty awesome. Its always fun to see stuff like the top trending threads and most recently gifted posts on the home page. The staff seems to be bringing in new features at a pretty rapid pace. Overall, no complaints here - GAF is awesome.

Can't wait to see what's cooking up next.

Nymphae

Banned
I really like the place now and look forward to seeing the forum evolve further. From my experience it feels like forums are becoming a thing of the past, but they're still one of my favourite types of hangouts on the internet, I don't give a shit about tweeting or Reddit or discord or any social media really, none of it has ever felt like a place I wanted to stay and become a part of, you know? I think avatars go a long way towards having an identity and creating a community, part of why I could never get into Reddit, everyone was just a weird name, and that website in general is just cancer, I use it for finding specific stuff and then get the fuck out as fast as possible. Twitter has avatars but I have never been able to get into it, it feels like a place where the biggest names simply speak to their followers who chatter around them, very little actual quality discussion takes place there, and if it does, to me it's a pain in the ass to read. I enjoy reading funny tweets others have found, but as an internet destination I find the app and site not an enjoyable experience.

Forums do it all, I can maintain a profile and be part of a community, shitpost or contribute something large and meaningful and have a proper discussion, it's all just easily searchable and I like various features of forums that these other social media platforms do not have. I've always felt they are the best places for communities online, and this one has been my favourite place for some time now. I hope it sticks around for many more years to come.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm probably relatively new...I think I been here almost a year, but I immediately notice a huge difference in the cumulative brain power in this community when comparing to others. I wasn't here in the beginning, and so it's hard to tell if this is something GAF encouraged or is it something that occurred naturally (and luckily, maybe) as the community grew.

I'd honestly like to see more posts from the mods. Not to the point where it's overkill, and yes, I don't know where that line is. However when I see a mod participating in the conversation it's like a celebrity cameo in some small sense. Not that the community isn't engaging enough, we have fantastic topics and debates. It's just when the mods chip in, it's like a big brother has come home from college out of state. It's a rare enough occurrence to make it special.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
You people are doing a stellar job. No complaints here. Please keep it up.

I too never used to visit Off-Topic on oldGAF as it was a depressing and angry mess. But, now I check it all the time as it is hilarious, educational and welcoming.

Everyone (admin and members alike) are making this place a real community and a fun place to be. Thanks to all.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The community threads can probably be consolidated with the main forum since they have a modest amount of activity right now. Don't think they would clog things up too much.

Either way, keep up the good work. Politics subforum is a godsend and does a lot to take the edge off.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I feel like the staff has been doing a great job. The forums are laid back & easy going and GAF is a great place to be. The forums have also never looked better and the new features like GAF Gold, reacting to posts, etc... have been great as well. I've really enjoyed being a member over the past 10 years and I look forward to seeing where it goes from here.

Humdinger

I don't really have any suggestions, I just wanted to express my appreciation. New-GAF has quickly become my favorite place to hangout and talk videogames. I love the openness and free-wheeling nature of the forum, in contrast to another forum which shall remain nameless. I also really appreciate the cameraderie of the people here.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
I'd honestly like to see more posts from the mods. Not to the point where it's overkill, and yes, I don't know where that line is. However when I see a mod participating in the conversation it's like a celebrity cameo in some small sense. Not that the community isn't engaging enough, we have fantastic topics and debates. It's just when the mods chip in, it's like a big brother has come home from college out of state. It's a rare enough occurrence to make it special.
ag5fj.jpg

No thanks.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
This is the only forum I still visit. I appreciate the changes in both the philosophical and technical aspects of this site. Still, I just can't seem to give up the classic Neogaf theme.

I have one suggestion that I know will be controversial, but with the Exodus and rebirth of this forum, I always thought that the name should have evolved as well. Simply put, new Neogaf is much different than old Neogaf. I would propose NeoNeogaf, but that's just stupid. OK, so I don't have any great name ideas.

I realize that this idea will likely be scoffed at, and even I waiver on this, but if there were a name that both embraced the new while respecting the legacy, I think it could be a positive change.

In my opinion GAF is at a really good place. I really don't have any suggestions for GAF Staff. I like it here. I like the people here.

I like how even when I have a disagreement with someone in Politics or GoT, there isn't a Cold War in other threads or Discord with that user.

I feel like the Staff is responsive and unbiased. I think they treat members here with respect and maturity, and that the vast majority of members here have responded with respect and maturity.

I think the next big update, which I will refer to as "LA-LI-LU-LE-LO" until official announcement, will be a game changer for the community.

I have no complaints.

giphy.mp4

courtesy of strange headache strange headache

DansDans

As one of them "long time members but never posts" kinda people, I have enjoyed the way GAF has recovered and re-established itself in the last year or so. When the big split happened I thought it would be a mass migration over there, but it was obvious that the other place was quickly developing a stance that was at-odds with someone like me who just wants to play damn games and talk about it

All the forum improvements have been great too - from the little things like fonts and colours to the additions of the like/emote buttons and the alerts, its been a great place to re-engage with. My love of gaming was dying thanks to all the ridiculous levels of politics, but this place makes me realise there are still sane people who just enjoy playing games

Saber

Gold Member
I sincerelly don't have much time with this forum. My brother is more familiarized with this forum than me.

But from what it stands now, it looks normal. I mean, discussions flow normally, people can talk to each other normally as well and lot of jokes and funnny moments happens with a simply "like" button. Yeah, we have tension momments and fights, but this happens in every place not just here. Different people, different tastes and different opinions. Perhaps its great not normal, I dunno...maybe my bad experience with other forums in the past makes me in doubt for a bit.

Forums for me means a place where I can kinda return and talk about the things that interest me the most, as well I can inform about whatever thing interests me at the time. It was aways like that and since the beginning of times. And if they keep improving thats great, I welcome good changes with open arms.

Also since this forum is not about "tirany" and "bow to your superior", it feels better to talk. It's good to see some kind of transparency here too, so you have my thanks.

Edit: Oh yeah, something I like a lot in this forum is taking away a member from a thread. I find this great because people who don't wanna discuss certain topics and most of times creates tensions can now stay away from specific threads and let the ones who want do discuss alone.

Last edited:

JSoup

Banned
So far, things seem to be going great. One of the few open, not-private forums you can find that doesn't force a point of view. The staff and community all seem to be on the same page of not letting things get back to how they were before the great REEEing and...yeah, keep on trucking, no notes.

Mista

Banned
What are your feelings about where we are now as a community? Are there things you feel we could be doing better? Are there things we are doing well? Do you have any ideas or suggestions to share?
My feelings are great. A healthy active community that actually make discussions very interesting is always welcomed. There isn’t anything better we can do. Just gotta keep building up on this and keep our community as a family just like how it is right now. No grudges, no toxicity and no nothing. Yes you’re doing plenty of things well! Allowing discussions even if they get heated, watching everything that happens without interfering and the most important thing is making every member here comfortable and never hesitant with what they wanna post. My only suggestion for now is:

1- We gotta find out who’s from the gaf fam are very good with doing OTs

Thank you :)

Norse

Been here for years n years and still enjoy it as always. We talk about games and the industry as a whole in this part of the site and it's always interesting. It's why I still visit each day to see what's going on in the gaming world. Now if only there was a way to calm those rabid Sony sheep and their nintenbots lol. I kid, I kid.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
NeoGAF is definitely better now than it was two years ago because all of the bullshit is gone. You can actually speak more freely and give your honest opinion without the fear of being banned just because my opinion doesn't line up with others who have an agenda which when you think about it makes those people even worse than what they're against because they're pretending to be something that they're not.

So overall, no major or serious complaints.

TLZ

Banned
I've been around for a while and I'm happy to see the direction that GAF is moving. Moderation is a lot more "hands off" than it was in the past and as a result I feel like people are more willing to speak their mind or make their arguments or just be themselves which is a rare thing to find online these days. A lot of us are gaming enthusiasts and many of you collectively have more first hand knowledge in gaming / technology than anyone could hope to find on the net. Just last week I complained about how my Rock Band guitar was breaking down, and multiple people offered up potential fixes as well as products I could buy to remedy the situation with whole-hearted recommendations, and I think that's brilliant and one of the reasons I keep coming back to GAF day in and day out.

The gaming forum gets news really quickly and by the time I see it there are generally a dozen or so replies, often well thought out and well articulated with a huge decrease in the drive by shitposting we used to see on GAF. Love it or hate it, the like button seems to cut back on a lot of the "oh yeah" and "this guy gets it" posts that used to run rampant here. I don't see a lot of the super-politicized threads in gaming, especially compared to the way it was years ago - the ones that do show up here are in a pretty stark contrast with how they go down on other sites. The threads like this one the OP seems to be framing the topic as an argument or rally cry that it's something we should be offended about, yet the overwhelming majority of posters swoop in and say "dude, this is normal and nothing to get worked up over" and steer the thread to actual discussion without the whole thing ending in a doxxing campaign or trying to get the developers fired on Twitter.

While I barely visited Off-Topic before the big GAF exodus so I don't have much to compare it to, now it feels like a great online community where people can just shoot the shit or talk about their interests outside of gaming. Politics I stay away from (for my own mental health) but the fact that they're no longer part of Off-Topic is a big reason why I even frequent Off-Topic nowadays, so in my mind that's working out great and the board seems pretty active from an outside glance. The Discord integration is pretty neat too since logging in after hanging out in Off-Topic for a while almost felt like walking into Cheers.

On the technology side of things, I have no complaints. The site seems really speedy and responsive, the new modern theme admittedly took a bit of getting used to but I definitely prefer it now. We've got Twitch integration, the previously mentioned Discord integration, giveaways, and NeoGAF Gold is now a reality and it's pretty awesome. Its always fun to see stuff like the top trending threads and most recently gifted posts on the home page. The staff seems to be bringing in new features at a pretty rapid pace. Overall, no complaints here - GAF is awesome.

Can't wait to see what's cooking up next.
This guy gets it.

:messenger_beaming:

Fake

So far so good. I wish my avatars fit more well on picture profile. Maybe more resolution or room for picture profiles? I dunno.
Is there a way of guys like D dark10x get a dedicaded tag besides the word below their avatars? Just for people know the place he works. Dunno if John will agree, but kinda cool knowing he still there listening us.
Is the any necessity of having 'two' areas called 'offtopic?
I mean, you click in offtopic for after click in offtopic again. Don't make much sense at all.

I really like the place now and look forward to seeing the forum evolve further. From my experience it feels like forums are becoming a thing of the past, but they're still one of my favourite types of hangouts on the internet, I don't give a shit about tweeting or Reddit or discord or any social media really, none of it has ever felt like a place I wanted to stay and become a part of, you know? I think avatars go a long way towards having an identity and creating a community, part of why I could never get into Reddit, everyone was just a weird name, and that website in general is just cancer, I use it for finding specific stuff and then get the fuck out as fast as possible. Twitter has avatars but I have never been able to get into it, it feels like a place where the biggest names simply speak to their followers who chatter around them, very little actual quality discussion takes place there, and if it does, to me it's a pain in the ass to read. I enjoy reading funny tweets others have found, but as an internet destination I find the app and site not an enjoyable experience.

Forums do it all, I can maintain a profile and be part of a community, shitpost or contribute something large and meaningful and have a proper discussion, it's all just easily searchable and I like various features of forums that these other social media platforms do not have. I've always felt they are the best places for communities online, and this one has been my favourite place for some time now. I hope it sticks around for many more years to come.
This is exactly how i feel about NeoGAF as well. Well said, Nymphae Nymphae

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Is there a way of guys like @dark10x get a dedicaded tag besides the word below their avatars? Just for people know the place he works. Dunno if John will agree, but kinda cool knowing he still there listening us.
I’m not totally against it, but I like the fact that everyone on NewGAF is on equal footing. There is nothing worse than internet celebrity. Nothing against John and not a reflection on him in anyway. I just like the idea that we are all GAF members no matter what we do for a living.

The internet celebrity adulation on OldGAF was cringey.

Fake

I’m not totally against it, but I like the fact that everyone on NewGAF is on equal footing. There is nothing worse than internet celebrity. Nothing against John and not a reflection on him in anyway. I just like the idea that we are all GAF members no matter what we do for a living.

Totally agree. I posted that because in some moment on offtopic thread someone doub if Digital Foundry still post here.

TLZ

Banned

Says the one with the gold-plated nickname :messenger_pouting:

Thabass

Even though I have no problem with him, that's kinda what's happened to Shinobi nowadays.

dolabla

Nothing I can really think of to suggest on my end. This board already has the most important thing to me and it's what a message board should be about: Allowing opinions and the free flow of discussion.

Posters here seem great and have been very fun to interact with. It's more of a loose/fun environment of posters and not the uptight, holier than thou dickwad types that used to be here.

The way things are being run here is fantastic. You mods/admins have done such a excellent job at your jobs. Props to all of you. This thing is even better than anything I could have hoped for.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
It may have been because of the exodus, but I second how much better NeoGAF is now compared to 5, 10 or 15 years ago. No more bans for disagreeing with someone politically (God the 2004 election was bad here) and the level of discourse in OT has much improved.

The staff has been quick to fix, or improve quality of life issues like the massive amount of polls that once plagued us, or adding the new reactions feature and a gold member option, which is simple, yet functional.

CJY

Banned
A few things I’ve noticed since rekindling my love of GAF:

1. There’s an [almost] complete lack of clowns on this forum.
2. The clowns seem to be gone.
3. There a distinct feel of non-clowniness here.
4. No clowns!!

The result is a place that no longer feels like a clown world and threads with massively reduced reeeee-factor. Long may it continue!

Last edited:

Thabass

A few things I’ve noticed since rekindling my love of GAF:

1. There’s an [almost] complete lack of clowns on this forum.
2. The clowns seem to be gone.
3. There a distinct feel of non-clowniness here.
4. No clowns.

The result is a place that no longer feels like a clown world and threads with massively reduced reeeee-factor. Long may it continue!

pr0cs

Been here a very long time, this is the best GAF has been in a really long time. I don't think I have any useful suggestions, for the most part moderation is clear. At this point just time and continued support for reasonable discussion is required. I hope that e3 will grow the ranks a bit and get more in depth discussion.

Thanks to all that grind away on making gaf such a great source of information and community

I am new to NeoGAF but I already feel like a part of a great online community where people seem to be just as passionate discussing a seemingly limitless variety of video game topics. I could have joined resetera but a friend recommended NeoGAF and I feel that I made the right choice. The user traffic alone is a welcome change, with hundreds of people online, it reminds me of the early PS3/Xbox 360 era only now we're getting ready for the PS5 and Xbox Two. I can't wait to see what the next generation will bring.

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well I've been here for... 20 years???? Before the Neo, before UBB code. I think I'll stay a bit longer.

It was getting a bit rough for a bit there as people kept wanting to bring up ResetEra all the time and some cringey threads came about, but I feel we're starting to stabilize now and making a dedicated politics forum to keep it out of the rest was a big part of that. New users are joining and bringing more diverse views. Those naturally accommodating to an atmosphere that welcomes all are finding it a good fit and it is resulting in good (read: honest) discussions. Not everyone is a genius and some may well be considered assholes, but hey, that is part of life and to some capacity people should have the right to be what they are so long as they stay reasonable.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Been here for about 5 years and I still visit the forum regularly. It’s a different place now, to be sure, but it’s also a welcome break from other politically obsessed gaming forums out there that just drain your desire to exist.

If NeoGaf keeps growing and stays on its current course, I see nothing but good times ahead for all of us.

Top Bottom