• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Redux - An introspective dialogue

Neolombax

I don't have much thought to be honest, but I can say that I prefer to be here compared to other forums. I was here before the Exodus (is that what its called?)... there's much less hostility, I feel. You can pretty much speak your mind here about topics and get less flak for it. I like it.

Big ups to all the staff who help keep this place going. Social media sucks and Gaf is the only place (I want to) chat with other crazies and weirdos on the internet. Exploding fist-bump to Tyler for coming through the worst by being the best. Shit is tight yo.

Seriously though, good job all. Long live Gaf.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I have been through many communities over the past few years, many of which seemed to become more and more sensitive to issues and some that outright said they cared more about someone's feelings over the facts of a situation. This was backed by overzealous moderation that would ban people, not because they broke rules, but simply because they didn't care for the person.

GAF doesn't have that level of childish moderation or a community that empowers it and it is a wonderful breath of fresh air. I have met some wonderful people here and had some fantastic discussions, even if it ended in disagreement.

The only thing I would like to see changed is more within the community and less with the mods, and that is an effort to have more community gaming sessions. We need to get a lot more Monster Hunter or Final Fantasy XIV dungeon runs up in here!

You guys are absolute rockstars. I don't have any suggestion, just want to compliment the work that's been put into this great place. I think everyone that's been here for a little while like I have can feel the real sense of comradery in the community that evolved in the past months, it's just a perfect place to shoot the shit and talk games. That's really an oasis today and I truly appreciate being around here.

Nymphae

Banned
The only thing I would like to see changed is more within the community and less with the mods, and that is an effort to have more community gaming sessions. We need to get a lot more Monster Hunter or Final Fantasy XIV dungeon runs up in here!

I was thinking the other day about Gaf fighting game tournaments,, I mean why not really.

Andyliini

NewGAF has become quite a wonderful place in these couple of years. Mods and admins seem to be doing a good job with updates to make forum-dwelling more pleasant than before. Last years E3 was a huge success for more discussions and members, and I hope this year will bring out even more interesting discussions.

I'm a bit of a lurker myself, but I'll occassionally drop in threads to give my stinky opinion on things. Cheers everyone!

My only suggestion is the site would do good to have a short proclamation of the forum's defining principle(s), which I think is to provide a lightly moderated platform for relatively open and relaxed discussions, something scarily rare on the internet these days.

Perhaps if some remnants of the internet survive the Clown Wars our descendants could look back on this and say, "Hey, here's some people that tried to make sense of it all, before the bad, mad times. ."

Otherwise, keep up the good work. Been lurking here for much, much longer than I've been posting and although bumpy roads at first seems the forum is recovering to a more level headed place than it maybe ever was in the first place.

Rodolink

This is the gaming community I like the most, the platform just got better each time since I entered and I'm glad it's going the way it's going, forward, good discussions, and good criticism.
I liked the idea that there was a place where game developers shared their opinions openly at the time I entered one needed a static ip email to register and I was happy the day i got into the industry to be able to. Now it's an open community and that's better!

Giveaways idea is cool. And i also like polls, they're funny.
Only thing I ask if possible is changing my username to Rodolink since thats my real online id. But I wrongly typed that damn s when I registered 🤦🏻‍♂️

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
This is the gaming community I like the most, the platform just got better each time since I entered and I'm glad it's going the way it's going, forward, good discussions, and good criticism.
I liked the idea that there was a place where game developers shared their opinions openly at the time I entered one needed a static ip email to register and I was happy the day i got into the industry to be able to. Now it's an open community and that's better!

Giveaways idea is cool. And i also like polls, they're funny.
Only thing I ask if possible is changing my username to Rodolink since thats my real online id. But I wrongly typed that damn s when I registered 🤦🏻‍♂️

All set.

Hudo

I like the current GAF a lot. I can shitpost (i.e. voice my opinion even if it might be considered "unusual".) without the fear of being banned, which I feel is essential for any sort of worthwhile discussion. In fact, I like GAF so much that I disabled my adblocker for this website. I would rate GAF a good 7.7/11. Ironically enough, when I came back here, it was a bit hard to see less "news activity", in the sense that I used GAF as a news aggregator. However, I found the direction of not regurgitating every bit of news on here contributing to the quality of discourse. It has become a far healthier mixture of people discussing topics they care about and people saying "Hey, this thing just happened.", so to speak. Not that those two things are mutually exclusive, of course. I am even contemplating whether to start an RTS/Command & Conquer community thread or not, which is unsual for me because I eschew responsibility

Most importantly, orange is easier on the eyes than purple.

cireza

Banned
The forum is much better right now in my opinion and all the technical changes have been for the best. The layout is good and the various functionalities work well.

It is easy to discuss about anything and make stupid jokes if we want to, which is also what a forum should allow, as long as you are not directly offending someone in the thread of course. Which is pretty much what you do in real life when talking with friends or other people really.

Internet is such a complicated place that enables all kinds of strange and stupid behaviors from people, from all the big forums I frequent, I find that the current Neogaf has the most natural talking of the internet (as far as video-games are concerned).

Wink

The layout and functions are all good.

After the split I felt like there are some members who thought neogaf has to be the polar opposite of era, but with new people (re)discovering neogaf it's starting to slowly move towards a place where gaming comes first while this silly ideology war clearly was the focus for a good while after the redesign. I think we are primed to be a place that's open and welcoming to everyone with the current policies of laissez faire. I'm just hoping that the community will attract people who will continue having smart discussions when politics come up rather than what often at least felt like diametrically opposed ones to the other place. To put gaf back on the map in terms of thread creation, participation and good content we need more people feeling the vibe of acceptance that mods are going for, not just shouty ones thinking they can take over this place with their own agendas and that's the direction it's developing in so I'm hopeful.

Chittagong

Gold Member
GAF is great right now. I’d say it’s pretty damn close to the best years, having been a member since 2002. The difference is, this time I recognise just how much worse it could be, and cherish every moment of carefree posting, expressing opinions, and reading articulate posts.

That all can change so quickly. Once a forum balloons in popularity you get threads that become 30 pages of ‘yikes’ and ‘oofs’. You get enough critical mass behind certain ideals to dogpile over others, and that’s when it goes sour, especially if mods are in on it. We should consider ourselves lucky that for now, that is not the case.

I am also grateful for how I felt welcome when I returned from Era. I still have an account there, no bans thankfully, just two warnings. So instead of trying to scrutinise my posts each time, I decided that forums are enjoyment and a pass time that’s supposed to be fun for me, and in their current forms, I enjoy more posting and reading here. I remember when I returned in October 2018, it felt so good to have a glass of wine and have a laugh here.

It’s been a remarkable turnaround, and one I think most people wouldn’t have expected.

Hudo

As an addition, I would suggest to add a disclaimer on the NeoGAF Gold page to make clear that a NeoGAF gold membership doesn't in fact come with the golden woman displayed.

Rodolink

As a suggestion I'd say on the member's page: -

I'd be inclined to lose the most posts column as its largely redundant, and either extend the most reactions column to say top 100 and/or add a more dynamic most popular posters of the month column.

Also, we could do with some more reactions like 'Praise the sun' , 'Joy' or 'This is Neogaf'
More reactions! I'd like to have this one as an option too: :messenger_open_mouth:

(edit: wow, amazed face)

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

I'm one of those guys that had an account on here years ago but fell out of gaming. Joined Resetera, was obviously a pile of pants and came back here.

It's by the far the best forum I've been on and more importantly the funniest. I never take anything too seriously.

As a suggestion and you can discuss this and it is a bastard this even needs to be suggested but...

What do you guys think of a "videogame politcs" section on the forum?
It would seperate the regular gaming news and opinions from the other stuff.
I also think the gaming communities section could be merged with the regular gaming chat section. That section seems to be pretty inactive currently.
At least until more postings occur.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I like the community here. It's all about the community. No forum software or staff moderation will result in a great community. It's clear that the central idea of GAF has merit when it can go through a major upset like the REEEExodus and not only survive, but recover.

My only request is for the GAF usernames of assholes like myself to auto-adjust font size so that my name doesn't say

DunDunDunpac
hi

I think the community is okay, but what's in danger is it's going the exact opposite way of that old gaf was going in.

I think Gaf should grow more towards the center which is what made it popular in the first place.

Ascend

I think NeoGAF is in a great state, especially compared to a few years ago. The community seems a lot more mature now, dare I say it's the best community it has ever had.

I do have my controversial opinions, and despite fierce discussions with many users here, no warning or ban hammer has been put into play, which is a great thing.
The website improvements have also been substantial. For now, I am not really missing anything.

petran79

Banned
I think the community is okay, but what's in danger is it's going the exact opposite way of that old gaf was going in.

I think Gaf should grow more towards the center which is what made it popular in the first place.

Politics spectrum changed compared to a decade ago and some ideologies intermingled a little. I think it is fine. Center can also be extreme at times

GAF right now is a blast from the past. I feel like we're in the 00's again. Also moving all the hard-hitting, salt inducing drama to a dedicated politics sub-forum was very clever indeed.

I like the 'like system', I see you guys are emulating kiwifarms in that regard. But they have so many more emoticons to choose from. That's all I'd ask for. More emojis.

Last edited:

Krakin

They best way I can put it is that this place makes me feel like I can breathe. Know what I mean? It wasn't always like that but now I can come in here and speak my mind without fear of the ban hammer coming down. The other place is oppressive compared to here.

I really love the reaction system. That's something I always wanted to see when I first joined and I'm glad it's here.

I'll be happy to stick around for a long time.

Barnabot

One of the better things GAF had implemented was the politics subforum. That subject didn't fit the off-topic subforum and this also act as an additional layer to prevent that bullshit being dripped into gaming section which happens so many times in other forums.

I just wished we could have more Ace Combat fans hanging around here. That franchise needs to be kept alive,.

Last edited:
I would like the forum to be less politically derived in the gaming section. I don't think people realize that gaming writers use click-bait to get hits, and then they spread that here. I don't like how so many games are getting caught up in needless political drama by forum posters here, and I assume on other forums too. I guess that's my one request moving forward. Keep gaming for game discussion, not political agendas.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Things are so much better here now. I really like the more politically moderate moderation and the general mood that fosters in the community. People can now speak their mind freely (well, within reason) without worrying about getting auto banned by some zealot. This also means people make some wacky out there posts and, or, threads but that is just part of having more freedoms of speech. I feel like people now have to defend their views more as well.

mcjmetroid

I would like the forum to be less politically derived in the gaming section. I don't think people realize that gaming writers use click-bait to get hits, and then they spread that here. I don't like how so many games are getting caught up in needless political drama by forum posters here, and I assume on other forums too. I guess that's my one request moving forward. Keep gaming for game discussion, not political agendas.
This is why I was suggesting to split the 2 sections. Gaming and gaming political.

Sometimes I just want to read gaming news and ocassionally delve into the politics.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog

GAF is very center right now. The reason it might not seem that way is because right wing people can actually post now without getting banned. So you are seeing something you are not used too.

Mexen

As a web dev myself, I tip my hat to the devs and admins of this site.

I have been here for over 5 years and saying that makes me feel old. I remember signing up and waiting 8 months. This place has always been my go-to for video game discussions. Here's to another 5 years and more after that. Thanks for your hard work and also thanks to everyone who posts here.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
GAF is very center right now. The reason it might not seem that way is because right wing people can actually post now without getting banned. So you are seeing something you are not used too.

I would argue it is still very much a left leaning forum - but compared to the insanity of the far-left that used to reside here, it feels far more right than it really is. Plus many left leaning posters avoid (such as myself) avoid the politics section and focus our time and energy discussing games and off topic stuff.

Pejo

This place feels like late 2000's GAF again, which is a huge compliment. The community has enough voices with dissenting opinions that it's not becoming the hivemind that drove GAF into the gutter a few years ago. I'm a little tired of hearing "hey guys resetera sucks" stuff all the time, but given the overlap of userbase, I get that people need to vent after they get banned and return here. My hope is that we'll eventually grow out of needing to mention them altogether.

Regarding the site, the only thing left on my checklist is an option to hide images like we could on GAF 1.x, so I can be covert at work. That said, I appreciate new features and once in a while there's something that I really enjoy. Like post reactions. It makes it nice to not have to reply and just say "this!"

Moderation is amazing, and I urge everyone to check out www.neogaf.com/bans once in a while to see the improvement live in action. Very transparent, no ideological pushing, just a a name, a reason and a ban length.

NeoGAF gold has hopefully been a nice new revenue stream, without being too obtrusive, though I don't particularly like the gold threads.

Gaming side, I wish we had more game megathreads. Plain and simple. So many games are coming out at all times now, and with no thread for discussion, I feel like people are turning elsewhere to discuss gaming, which has a self-defeating effect. I know I could be the solution here and make a megathread, but honestly I don't typically know what to do with them. I guess we could tone down all the fancy stuff and just make a regular thread with basic info when a game releases, or maybe GAF can appoint some game threadmakers to stimulate conversation? We're doing better on gaming news now, even if most of it is a link to a twitter/resetera/reddit thread. The source matters less than the content.

OT is doing great, IMO. There are a ton of variety of subjects (even shitpost threads which I'm so glad are back, they make the forum fun), and the politics subforum safely quarantines most of the clickbait controversial trash.

Politics I venture into once in a while when i'm really bored and read through most of the gaming/OT stuff. It's what you'd expect. I'm glad it exists and have participated in a thread or two.

Anyway, thanks EviLore EviLore and all of the staff for keeping us going and making improvements.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Something that slightly annoys me is how the gold-gifted threads are displayed in the main pages. I find them a bit too distracting, and I would prefer a subtler visual approach. Maybe a gold border instead of having the whole rectangle space being gold. I don't know.

I have one suggestion that I know will be controversial, but with the Exodus and rebirth of this forum, I always thought that the name should have evolved as well. Simply put, new Neogaf is much different than old Neogaf. I would propose NeoNeogaf, but that's just stupid. OK, so I don't have any great name ideas.
Interestingly, I think the same, although I have no idea how feasible that change would be.

If you pay attention to this thread, a lot of people already call it 'NewGaf', which feels just right for a place that feels new and refreshing, while the current name is (still) a bit tainted by the past.

The result is a place that no longer feels like a clown world and threads with massively reduced reeeee-factor. Long may it continue!
Instead, we're the Knights who say NEEEEEE.

NeoGAF may be the one place left on the internet where one can express a view outside the current cultural groupthink and not be boiled alive for it.

And yet it’s somehow pretty civil too.
Because people can be naturally civil when relaxed and happy. NewGAF's moderation is an example of 'less is more' in that regard. When moderation becomes excessive, insecure and hysterical, so does the behavior of its community.

My only request is for the GAF usernames of assholes like myself to auto-adjust font size so that my name doesn't say

DunDunDunpac
hi
I agree with you,

DunDunDunpac
hi

:messenger_beaming:

One of the better things GAF had implementes was the politics subforum. That subject didn't fit the off-topic subforum and this also act as an additional layer to prevent that bullshit being dripped into gaming section which happens so many times in other forums.
Politics subforum is one of the best new 'features' and, at the same time, the one that I'll probably never touch. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Mihos

Gold Member
I have no complaints at all. The stress levels are definitely a lot lower than it was a few years back.

Looking forward to more E3 posts, even if this is kind of an off year for that conference.

Skyfox

Long time lurker, joined when ree crowd left.

I feel the gold threads, banner ads and embedded ads are a little too visible for a place that’s trying to recover and regrow.

On a positive note, gaf currently feels as though leadership is extremely attentive.

Thanks for welcoming me here - I hope this community has a long and healthy future.

Top Bottom