• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

As I'm not a regular runner and having never done any kind of run training I'm kinda shocked hearing about 80/20 for the first time lol

I've got a question, can I do 80/20 within a run? Example, if I run 10k, 8k would be at a slow pace, and the last 2k at fast pace. Does this even count?

Yep totally. That book has a bunch of training plans for different distances/paces but a lot of the runs are just like that, like 50 minutes slowest pace then 10 minutes fast/sprint finish.

Have a read up on aerobic and anaerobic energy, that is what is mostly boils down to, the slow runs train one and the fast runs train the other.

As I'm not a regular runner and having never done any kind of run training I'm kinda shocked hearing about 80/20 for the first time lol

I've got a question, can I do 80/20 within a run? Example, if I run 10k, 8k would be at a slow pace, and the last 2k at fast pace. Does this even count?

Yep! Basically the gist of it is this: by running slower you're essentially building a stronger aerobic base (how long you can last running fast as you're building strength and letting your body more time to heal between heavy work due to adaptation principles).

Although I knew about it, I'll still admit that I was originally apprehensive as my body was only used to running faster than what my coach/the book says. Still, you get used to it in time. And when it comes to slow running, you'll probably need to run even slower than you think you do if it's you're first time doing it lol.

TTOOLL

Yep! Basically the gist of it is this: by running slower you're essentially building a stronger aerobic base (how long you can last running fast as you're building strength and letting your body more time to heal between heavy work due to adaptation principles).

Although I knew about it, I'll still admit that I was originally apprehensive as my body was only used to running faster than what my coach/the book says. Still, you get used to it in time. And when it comes to slow running, you'll probably need to run even slower than you think you do if it's you're first time doing it lol.

My comfortable 10k pace is like 5:30/km, I did 9k yesterday and felt really good throughout it at this pace. So, my slow pace should be around 7:00/km? That will be hard lol

Yep totally. That book has a bunch of training plans for different distances/paces but a lot of the runs are just like that, like 50 minutes slowest pace then 10 minutes fast/sprint finish.

Have a read up on aerobic and anaerobic energy, that is what is mostly boils down to, the slow runs train one and the fast runs train the other.

Thanks! I'll read about them! =D

My comfortable 10k pace is like 5:30/km, I did 9k yesterday and felt really good throughout it at this pace. So, my slow pace should be around 7:00/km? That will be hard lol

Thanks! I'll read about them! =D

Also you might be interested in this

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

Enter your current pace, so the 10k you did and the time, and the time you'd like to run a 10k in then "Calculate my paces". On the results click the second tab down, "Training Paces", it will give you an idea of what your slow runs should be pace wise "Endurance Paces" and what your fast runs should be "Stamina Paces".

Totally feel you on that. Ideally yes, I can run about a 8:00/mi (about 5:00/km) during a 10k but hang around 10-10:30 pace (about 6-6:30/km) so your calculations are about right on the spot w/ 7:00/km or slower.

Just hang in there and remember that most of the elite runners, if not all, do 80/20 when they train as it helps to remind yourself why you're doing it. Also read up on it, it helps to know exactly why you're doing it in the first place.

When focusing on 80/20, keep in mind that it's about the long-term gains and not short. Which in the end, is much easier said than done lol. I myself switched over in February and took several months for me to start benefiting. It works though (so far)!

TTOOLL

Also you might be interested in this

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

Enter your current pace, so the 10k you did and the time, and the time you'd like to run a 10k in then "Calculate my paces". On the results click the second tab down, "Training Paces", it will give you an idea of what your slow runs should be pace wise "Endurance Paces" and what your fast runs should be "Stamina Paces".

JjhxYi5.png

I'm finding it too slow, lol!! Keeping my HR at 85 max will be very hard. I read a little about aerobic and anaerobic and based on the calculations my max HR is 189 and my rest HR is 51 according to my gear fit 2.

My aerobic rate should be around 148-161 bpm based on this website.

Two very different scenarios, right?

Yes. Those "fast ones" during an easy run are called strides. I usually do strides during my Thursday runs.

JjhxYi5.png

I'm finding it too slow, lol!! Keeping my HR at 85 max will be very hard. I read a little about aerobic and anaerobic and based on the calculations my max HR is 189 and my rest HR is 51 according to my gear fit 2.

My aerobic rate should be around 148-161 bpm based on this website.

Two very different scenarios, right?

My warmup heart rate is below 130. Hell when I walk my heart rate is already in the 90's. During a tempo run my heart rate climbs into the 170s (often going past my lactate threshold). Not sure why it's spitting out all HR's in the 90's

Fisico

I like reading this stuff and it offers a realistic and sensible idea of what might be possible and how soon. Lots of decent club runners I've met will never run an 18 minute 5k. For the few who run 15:xx and 16:xx, there's far more that do well to hit 19:xx (but I mostly chat with others way up in the vet categories like myself, so...).

Thanks.

Recently at my job there's a guy that join which was very very addicted to running.
He's around 50 and the first time we went running together he just told us that 3-4 years ago he never ran at all and because of his daughter he started and decided to dedicate himself to running.
I don't remember the details, but in one or two years max he was able to run 10km in 33mn, his training was very harsh and he was a bit of a nutcase though, having trouble sleeping, being in a terrible mood for himself and his family and always wanting to beat the shit out of every runner in front of him in a race, he also told us how he went in Africa training with an ex marathon world champion.
He was socially impossible to deal with, he always ate what he prepared at home to only have what is needed from a nutritionnal point of view, and his wife was on the verge of asking for a divorce.

Fortunately he broke something in his hip, forcing him to stop running altogether for a few months during which he realized how he went too far in that.
Running with him occasionally he still have some lingering feelings of that time clearly, like when we're running if somehow someone goes past us we just have to speed up to not allow that other runner to do that, bonus point if it's someone young 'look at that youngster he must be bluffing and trying to show off let's show what we've got", and double bonus point if it's a girl "time to show her how big your balls are! We can't let a damn girl be faster than us"
He's also the only one in our group doing some special running session using words we've never heard before ahah.

It's funny but in retrospect I can see how hard it must've been for his family, anyone close to him and even himself back then.

Thanks.

Recently at my job there's a guy that join which was very very addicted to running.
He's around 50 and the first time we went running together he just told us that 3-4 years ago he never ran at all and because of his daughter he started and decided to dedicate himself to running.
I don't remember the details, but in one or two years max he was able to run 10km in 33mn, his training was very harsh and he was a bit of a nutcase though, having trouble sleeping, being in a terrible mood for himself and his family and always wanting to beat the shit out of every runner in front of him in a race, he also told us how he went in Africa training with an ex marathon world champion.
He was socially impossible to deal with, he always ate what he prepared at home to only have what is needed from a nutritionnal point of view, and his wife was on the verge of asking for a divorce.

Fortunately he broke something in his hip, forcing him to stop running altogether for a few months during which he realized how he went too far in that.
Running with him occasionally he still have some lingering feelings of that time clearly, like when we're running if somehow someone goes past us we just have to speed up to not allow that other runner to do that, bonus point if it's someone young 'look at that youngster he must be bluffing and trying to show off let's show what we've got", and double bonus point if it's a girl "time to show her how big your balls are! We can't let a damn girl be faster than us"
He's also the only one in our group doing some special running session using words we've never heard before ahah.

It's funny but in retrospect I can see how hard it must've been for his family, anyone close to him and even himself back then.

I think this applies to any hobby. It's very easy to go into something "hard" and lose perspective. At least running is fairly cheap *looks at Fenix 5 that was just purchased and cries*.

The primary reason I run is because it's fun to set a goal and blow the doors off of it. The second goal is to improve my physical health. The third reason I run is because I have met some pretty cool people. The best part about running is that you don't have to necessarily have my reason or have the same order. Running should be something very personal to each runner.

Salamando

My first half-marathon is two weeks from yesterday. Pretty damn nervous. My training these past three months as been poorer than I'd like, due in large part to my bullheadedness in trying to train with shin splints (instead of resting properly). I finally started resting in mid-March, opting for stationary bike-based cardio instead. Ran for the first time since yesterday, doing three miles without any pain what-so-ever.

Going to try and top out at 5 miles this week, before giving my legs a rest for the week prior. I have no idea if I'll finish, but i'd rather not finish than not start. (before the shin splints, I was able to do a 10k in a little over 60 minutes)

My first half-marathon is two weeks from yesterday. Pretty damn nervous. My training these past three months as been poorer than I'd like, due in large part to my bullheadedness in trying to train with shin splints (instead of resting properly). I finally started resting in mid-March, opting for stationary bike-based cardio instead. Ran for the first time since yesterday, doing three miles without any pain what-so-ever.

Going to try and top out at 5 miles this week, before giving my legs a rest for the week prior. I have no idea if I'll finish, but i'd rather not finish than not start. (before the shin splints, I was able to do a 10k in a little over 60 minutes)

I would suggest having planned "walk portions" for your race if you plan on running. In other words run 2-3 miles, then walk a mile. This way you will lower the stress on your shins and still be able to finish. Your time is going to be slow, but heck everyone should enjoy their first half.

I think this applies to any hobby. It's very easy to go into something "hard" and lose perspective. At least running is fairly cheap *looks at Fenix 5 that was just purchased and cries*.

Lol. I totally feel you on that Fenix purchase. Waiting for the Fenix 3 to price drop so I can go and get one since I want a built-in HR monitor. And once it does, my wallet will cry 🙃.

I'm too damn lazy to wear a strap and will gladly take the inaccuracies of a built in one for the convenience.

Salamando

I would suggest having planned "walk portions" for your race if you plan on running. In other words run 2-3 miles, then walk a mile. This way you will lower the stress on your shins and still be able to finish. Your time is going to be slow, but heck everyone should enjoy their first half.

That's my plan! Roughly 18 minutes at my run pace, followed by 12 minutes at my walk pace. Repeat 5 times, I'll finish in 2:30. Gives me a 30 minute buffer before the half's 3 hour time limit. Figure whatever I complete the course in will be a personal record, so let's not kill myself

That's my plan! Roughly 18 minutes at my run pace, followed by 12 minutes at my walk pace. Repeat 5 times, I'll finish in 2:30. Gives me a 30 minute buffer before the half's 3 hour time limit. Figure whatever I complete the course in will be a personal record, so let's not kill myself

Good attitude! No matter what time you finish in, you'll have a shiny PR to break the next time once you get over your shin splints!

fester

Banned

Curious what you think about the Fenix 5. I got one for my birthday and love the way it looks, but for running the GPS and pace data has been way off. My old FR220 seemed to do a much better job. :(

Curious what you think about the Fenix 5. I got one for my birthday and love the way it looks, but for running the GPS and pace data has been way off. My old FR220 seemed to do a much better job. :(

Best wearable I have bought in years. It was dead on for my half last Sunday. 13.1 measured after crossing finish line. I also use a foot pod to get better instantaneous pace data. If you are relying on your watch for "quick" updating pace that won't work. A good alternate would be to get those Garmin HRM straps w/ full run dynamics. As for GPS, as I said above it's been pretty okay. Can you clarify what you mean by pace data is way off? (BTW with my run group I was within .1 miles and 10 seconds/mile. They all use different watches than me)

Fistwell

Typical hobby jogger. Fucking casuals, can't take anything serious.
lol I grudgingly respect his commitment

Activities where you expend a lot of energy in a very short amount of time like say, full-contact sparring.

Fartlek intervals can help with that but you probably want more functional training for better results (something like tabata pyramids of fencing footwork/shadow boxing.)

Fistwell

Activities where you expend a lot of energy in a very short amount of time like say, full-contact sparring.
Depends how long the sparring lasts, it also depends what you put in "intervals." Shorter intervals (30s/30s, 200m's) are typically used to develop speed and vo2max. Longer intervals (1K or mile on, 2min active recovery) are used to get the body used to repeat (and in fine sustain) intense efforts. If you're looking to sustain long, intense sparring, the latter could be helpful. If you want quick bursts of energy for a cple a minutes and then it's over, the former would make sense. Dunno exactly what you're in for, but probably a combination of the two would cover your needs.

My warmup heart rate is below 130. Hell when I walk my heart rate is already in the 90's. During a tempo run my heart rate climbs into the 170s (often going past my lactate threshold). Not sure why it's spitting out all HR's in the 90's

I think those are %, so 90% of your max heart rate. For the easier runs its 50-60%.

Ended up getting a groin injury a couple weeks before Boston so took a week off and ended up doing the final 2 weeks with only about 30-40 miles in each. (Running is only tolerable with KT Tape on it).

The race started at 70°F and only got hotter as we went on since it started at 10am. Groin was aching already the opening mile. I went out 1:30 first half and just spent the rest of the race being comfortable instead of racing. Wasn't the day. Can try for sub 2:55 when i'm actually healthy

SzFWu0D.jpg

Fast forward 6 days later and i'm in London running another 26.2 since it's my final abbott marathon major. Game plan here was go out decently hard and just run/walk the last 6 miles. i wanted to be able to get back to my Airbnb in one piece haha. Same issue with my groin. First half was 1:29:06. I ended up being surprised by how lively the crowd was. Definitely similar levels to NYC and Tokyo.

cUeRKTh.jpg

Menthuss

Ugh, wanted to do a 50 minute run today but had to stop after 17 minutes due to my garbage knees acting up again. I was hoping a 4 day break would've been enough but it seems my injury is more severe than I thought. Time to book an appointment with a physical therapist again...

Fartlek intervals can help with that but you probably want more functional training for better results (something like tabata pyramids of fencing footwork/shadow boxing.)

Depends how long the sparring lasts, it also depends what you put in "intervals." Shorter intervals (30s/30s, 200m's) are typically used to develop speed and vo2max. Longer intervals (1K or mile on, 2min active recovery) are used to get the body used to repeat (and in fine sustain) intense efforts. If you're looking to sustain long, intense sparring, the latter could be helpful. If you want quick bursts of energy for a cple a minutes and then it's over, the former would make sense. Dunno exactly what you're in for, but probably a combination of the two would cover your needs.

Thanks. Made a note of this since I probably won't be able to do this for a while.

panda-zebra

That's a lot of work in 7 days with that injury. 2:55 won't trouble you when you're fit again, your 5k, 10k and half times all have you plenty under. Well done on bagging an amazing series of marathons.

I'm looking forward to London next year. I'll either do it for fun or train hard/properly for sub-3:00. Taking 21 minutes off my first time wasn't hard, but another 10 will be. Fun option seems favourite.

Shoot. I'm in the market to upgrade from my old Vivoactive but don't know whether to go for a Fenix 3/5 or Forerunner 935; which I just found out exists earlier today. Decisions, decisions :X.

Shoot. I'm in the market to upgrade from my old Vivoactive but don't know whether to go for a Fenix 3/5 or Forerunner 935; which I just found out exists earlier today. Decisions, decisions :X.

I don't think any of them are a bad choice. The Fenix 5 is my first real running wearable so I may a be a bit spoiled now. :)

fester

Banned
Best wearable I have bought in years. It was dead on for my half last Sunday. 13.1 measured after crossing finish line. I also use a foot pod to get better instantaneous pace data. If you are relying on your watch for "quick" updating pace that won't work. A good alternate would be to get those Garmin HRM straps w/ full run dynamics. As for GPS, as I said above it's been pretty okay. Can you clarify what you mean by pace data is way off? (BTW with my run group I was within .1 miles and 10 seconds/mile. They all use different watches than me)

Easiest is to show the graphs. First is my old FR220 that I've had for years:

Now the exact same run a week later with the F5:

Those peaks and valleys are just nuts. One second I'm running 8:30, the next I'm under 6? I don't expect pinpoint accuracy here, but when I'm running with a group of people at a very steady pace, I expect the $600 watch to get me in the ballpark when I glance at down at it. At the very least it should be as good, if not better than my $250 old standby. Wanted to love this watch and so frustrating it's not working out, even with the firmware updates. :(

anx10us

Banned
Hi Gaf, long time running lurker here, i'm based in the UK and am about to embark on my first Marathon on Monday in Milton Keynes, my training suggests sub-4:00 is achievable. I'm part of the GAF running club on Strava, so at least some of you will have seen my near daily Marathon Updates ;-)

Quick question, I want friends and family to be able to follow, track my progress, the organisers dont offer this facility, happy to carry my iPhone, any suggestions on a App that could show my splits, overall time, route and current location, that will work for 4 hours + ?

Glympse - Looks ok, but is only really good for tracking, doesn't help with splits etc ..

Thanks

kottila

Hi Gaf, long time running lurker here, i'm based in the UK and am about to embark on my first Marathon on Monday in Milton Keynes, my training suggests sub-4:00 is achievable. I'm part of the GAF running club on Strava, so at least some of you will have seen my near daily Marathon Updates ;-)

Quick question, I want friends and family to be able to follow, track my progress, the organisers dont offer this facility, happy to carry my iPhone, any suggestions on a App that could show my splits, overall time, route and current location, that will work for 4 hours + ?

Glympse - Looks ok, but is only really good for tracking, doesn't help with splits etc ..

Thanks

According to their facebook, they do have a live tracking site. (won't work before the race starts) http://resultsbase.net/event/3926/tracking

Entropia

No One Remembers
I'm going to need new shoes this year. The pair that I used last year I ran Tough Mudder with, so they aren't in the best shape. I did a run with them a couple weeks ago and they made my right heel blister up something fierce.

I'm flat footed, so I understand that I need a certain type of shoe. Is this list a good start? I'm planning to go and try these (if they're available at the stores near me) and see which one fits best.

panda-zebra

Is this list a good start

The start of the list raises a question for me. I've worn shoes with proper arch supports for flat feet (my brother needs them) and I know what that feels like. I ran in Brooks Adrenaline GTS 15 for a while and there's little in the way of arch support over and above any regular pair of shoes IMO. I only really wear them for dog walking now, same with Brooks Defyance, I switched to zero drop Altras about a year ago. Brooks are also absolute bottom of any ethics/workers welfare lists if that concerns you, scoring a lonely 1/20 on the last one I saw, the others were all at least over 10. Also, those shoes don't feel fast and light, they're clunky af. Rather than go off that list, maybe people here who need arch support shoes can suggest what they've found to be good.

Trying to keep on a running schedule while working a full time job, while trying to do everything else I want without being a sleepy mess is kinda hard huh?

Fistwell

Thanks
No app suggestion, but you're Simon R., right? You'll do much better than 4h. Best of luck!! :D

panda-zebra

Followed that training, it's been incredibly dedicated. Enjoy, keep cool in the first few miles and stick to your plan - that 4 hour target won't trouble you :)

Trying to keep on a running schedule while working a full time job, while trying to do everything else I want without being a sleepy mess is kinda hard huh?

Trying to do everything as well as you'd like can be impossible. I dump some things entirely for periods and binge on them. I found doing that with running isn't such a good idea, unsurprisingly, especially if you then decide not to eat so healthily. Did that last autumn when I had a bit of a PSVR addiction after getting injured/burned out... picking running back up and expecting everything to be as it was was a bit silly, hah. If you ever do find a caffeine-free solution, let lmk.

anx10us

Banned
According to their facebook, they do have a live tracking site. (won't work before the race starts) http://resultsbase.net/event/3926/tracking

Fantastic, my google-foo had let me down, bookmarked and ready to go ...

No app suggestion, but you're Simon R., right? You'll do much better than 4h. Best of luck!! :D

Yes thats me, we will see on the day, the good news is the 20 miles runs have actually felt fine, there hasn't been a point in 16 weeks that i've struggled, however I will caution this with its my first marathon, so I have no idea what to expect for the last 6 miles.

Followed that training, it's been incredibly dedicated. Enjoy, keep cool in the first few miles and stick to your plan - that 4 hour target won't trouble you :).

I decided if I was going to train I might as well treat it as a game, wanted 100% achievement to get my Platinum Medal. Its been hard having a 16 week plan, a full time job and travelling to the US twice, its meant 5:00am runs, 10:30pm runs,15 mile runs with jetlag and plenty of runs with hangovers (Las Vegas), I have done every single run to the correct distance and faster than the pace suggested, not once have I felt like I didn't want to do it.

I'm as prepared as I could be, nervous but excited ...

Paganmoon

Did my first run with the Gear S3 today, and man, having GPS, and music without bringing your phone is awesome.

Ran with the light jog preset in the s-health app, and was very helpful in keeping my pace with voice prompts, though it got a bit annoying when mid run it kept asking me to slow my pace, when I really don't run that fast to begin with (average around 5.30-5.50 per km).

Had me burst out laughing mid run when it blurted out "you are awesome!" as well.

All in all, good run, felt good, I'm sitting here, sweaty as hell and happy :)
Though I'm so dreading the half marathon coming up in 3 weeks. Started feeling my right knee again at around 6km today, no way I'll be able to power through to 21 if it starts that early. ivemadeahugemistake.gif is becoming a reality very quickly I think.

I am going to try to start running a bit more again while attempting slower pace runs more often. I would normally always end up pushing myself but last night I managed to hold back for most of my run until a nice little end push. I have another 5k tomorrow, and I'm going to try to beat my 21:58 from last weekend.

Bluenoser

Guys, I've had a revelation since I got my new watch. I recently purchased a Garmin FR 920XT, and it came with a HRM. This has changed my running mindset completely, as I was never able to see with my own eyes how hard my workouts are on my body, and I seemed to be making very little progress.

In a nutshell, I have epicly failed to train my aerobic system by not running a slow easy pace. I THOUGHT I was running slow enough, but it turns out I wasn't, as my heart rate was still upper zone 4-low zone 5. I find it incredibly difficult to run slow enough to keep my HR in zone 3... it seems almost impossible to me. Anyone have any advice in overcoming this mental/physical barrier?

kottila

Guys, I've had a revelation since I got my new watch. I recently purchased a Garmin FR 920XT, and it came with a HRM. This has changed my running mindset completely, as I was never able to see with my own eyes how hard my workouts are on my body, and I seemed to be making very little progress.

In a nutshell, I have epicly failed to train my aerobic system by not running a slow easy pace. I THOUGHT I was running slow enough, but it turns out I wasn't, as my heart rate was still upper zone 4-low zone 5. I find it incredibly difficult to run slow enough to keep my HR in zone 3... it seems almost impossible to me. Anyone have any advice in overcoming this mental/physical barrier?

Are you sure you have the correct zones/max hr? those are zones for shorter intervals, you have to make a real effort too run that hard

Doesn't that model auto calculate your max HR and set the zones appropriately? Double check to make sure the zones are reasonable. By slow, how slow are you running (pace wise).

Bluenoser

Are you sure you have the correct zones/max hr? those are zones for shorter intervals, you have to make a real effort too run that hard

Doesn't that model auto calculate your max HR and set the zones appropriately? Double check to make sure the zones are reasonable. By slow, how slow are you running (pace wise).

Yes, for this model, you input age, weight, height during setup, and it will determine max HR from there. Zone 5 starts at around 162bpm,

Not sure exactly what range zone 3 is because I rarely get to it, but I would guess under 145bpm. A pace that would keep my HR this low would be maybe 6:10min/km which is way slower than I normally run. Usually I'm very comfortable at a 5:30-5:45 pace, and can generally breathe ok, and carry on a conversation. But at that pace, my HR is elevated to a zone where I'm not effectively doing aerobic training. So I guess I just have to get better at running slower?

Yes, for this model, you input age, weight, height during setup, and it will determine max HR from there. Zone 5 starts at around 162bpm,

Not sure exactly what range zone 3 is because I rarely get to it, but I would guess under 145bpm. A pace that would keep my HR this low would be maybe 6:10min/km which is way slower than I normally run. Usually I'm very comfortable at a 5:30-5:45 pace, and can generally breathe ok, and carry on a conversation. But at that pace, my HR is elevated to a zone where I'm not effectively doing aerobic training. So I guess I just have to get better at running slower?

Depending on your age 162 sounds about right. Yes, you need to slow down. I promise it will seem agonizing at first, but you will see results as your PR's start to drop. You will find you can run faster with the same heart rate over time if you train in that zone. If you mix in 1 day of speedwork a week you will accelerate your capability to run faster with a low heart rate. Think of this way. You need to be efficient to run a long race fast without hitting the wall. Running slower gives your body time to incrementally build that efficiency.

If you want a success story I started formally training with this 80/20 concept last August. Before I started my best half marathon PR was a 2'20. By December I hit 1'48"04. Last Sunday I ran a 1'38"04. So in 9 months of this method I dropped ~32 minutes off my half marathon. I promise it works.

Top Bottom