• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

jenov4

Oh another thing guys, Running Warehouse is having a huge sale 20% off everything with free 2 day shipping to the USA.. I've used this site many times to get my runners. They always seem to have the best prices online. You have to use the link below as going to the website directly won't work. (No it's not a referral link)

Link to the sale!

Cool to see this thread, as I am a couple of weeks into a Couch to 5K program. I'm using the Get Running app on my iPod Touch and it's really helpful.

I was originally running with some trail running shoes I'd been using for a few years, but since I was starting a new routine I wanted to try barefoot running shoes. I picked up a pair of the New Balance Minimus MT10 and I'm really loving them so far. I made sure to start slow when using them, and after a week or so I've adjusted to them quite well.

I've always thought I hate running, but I've been shocked by how much I am enjoying it. It helps that I live right by Lake Michigan in Chicago so I have easy access to the paths along the lake. Running in a nice setting makes things much easier.

I'd love to run a full marathon at some point, but I'm a long way from that goal right now.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Jugendstil said:
Cool to see this thread, as I am a couple of weeks into a Couch to 5K program. I'm using the Get Running app on my iPod Touch and it's really helpful.

I was originally running with some trail running shoes I'd been using for a few years, but since I was starting a new routine I wanted to try barefoot running shoes. I picked up a pair of the New Balance Minimus MT10 and I'm really loving them so far. I made sure to start slow when using them, and after a week or so I've adjusted to them quite well.

I've always thought I hate running, but I've been shocked by how much I am enjoying it. It helps that I live right by Lake Michigan in Chicago so I have easy access to the paths along the lake. Running in a nice setting makes things much easier.

I'd love to run a full marathon at some point, but I'm a long way from that goal right now.

How is the program a few weeks in? Do you notice yourself feeling better running further? I just started, and I am not a runner at all, so I am wondering if I'll actually end up being able to run 9 miles a week. :p

For my shoes, I got some of the Reebok ZigTech shoes. A bit heavier, but man are they nice for support and "spring."

gcubed

so i absolutely hate running distances, but enjoy running 3-5 miles at a time... so to keep me going and have a goal with running I want to be able to run a 5k in under 20 minutes. I can run ~8min mile averages now, how do i increase my speed?

edit... went to http://www.halhigdon.com that another poster mentioned and it does have a schedule for 5k and speed increases. Thanks!

Deadly Cyclone said:
How is the program a few weeks in? Do you notice yourself feeling better running further? I just started, and I am not a runner at all, so I am wondering if I'll actually end up being able to run 9 miles a week. :p

For my shoes, I got some of the Reebok ZigTech shoes. A bit heavier, but man are they nice for support and "spring."

Well, I am definitely still a beginner (and extremely slow) so I don't have much wisdom to impart but it's already easier. The first few days were kind of rough. After my second day I was extremely sore, but now I feel great after I run as long as I make sure to stretch.

I guess part of it is finding ways to stay motivated. Having the app track my workouts and give me a schedule to follow helps a lot because I work well when I can follow a list or keep things regimented.

The other thing that is really helping me is running in a location I enjoy being in. I love running by the lake in Chicago. It's a pleasure to be doing something outside, especially after a long day at work in front of the computer, and its great people watching too. I think finding a route you enjoy can go a long way to making the run seem like less of a chore. I don't know how much I'd want to try running by the lake when it gets cold out, but for now it's perfect.

Stet

Banned
Jugendstil said:
The other thing that is really helping me is running in a location I enjoy being in. I love running by the lake in Chicago. It's a pleasure to be doing something outside, especially after a long day at work in front of the computer, and its great people watching too. I think finding a route you enjoy can go a long way to making the run seem like less of a chore. I don't know how much I'd want to try running by the lake when it gets cold out, but for now it's perfect.
Yeah, this is a big draw. I haaaaaaate treadmill running, even though your legs don't work quite as hard, and end up quitting way earlier than I do outdoors (often over half the distance/time). It's mostly just because it's so boring and it doesn't feel like I've actually gone anywhere.

Similarly, I always choose a route where I don't have to backtrack over the same path too much because I like to keep my run into segments of distance over a real area. It makes me feel like I've travelled the distance.

I run in a valley in Toronto, which is nice and lonesome. The only problem is that there are a ton of hills and I feel like going down extremely steep hills over and over is what's giving me knee problems.

Kevtones

psychicpsych said:

Thanks!

I've run around 40 miles/week for the past 6+ years I just never really went for something bigger. The longest I've done was 20-21 miles by accident last year. I probably could have done another 5 had I needed to but I was pretty worn down at that point. Still, I'd like to run the race, not just finish it.

Excited nonetheless and thanks again!

red731

I love running, but I haven't run in a while.

You know when you are doing something that you like and then suddenly loose all the willpower and motivation to go on and keep getting better and better?
That is what happened to me and I will start running again starting next week on Sunday(the rest day for muscles and the day for HIIT/running/biking/whatever day).

So this is a remainder for me that I said it and will be holding to my words!

JonCha

Before I went in hospital last year I was up to about 25-30 minutes in the Couch to 5k. I'm not overweight at all, but I didn't realise how bad my cardio was. I was literally knackered after running for 60 seconds.

Gowans007 said:
Thanks,

yeah I thought I would run more on that first run now listening to the podcast but my own songs, didn't work at all.

On Thurs gona listen to the first one and do it to the letter, hopefully with much better results.

This is gona be a tough couple of months.

What kind of terrain are you running on? ie pavement, road, off road. Pavement is the absolute worst for your joints, followed by the road. Also, as you're just starting out, it may help you improve your running form by wearing a minimalist shoe such as Vibram. It's almost impossible to land on your heels with these as it hurts too much so you adjust your gait accordingly. A wee bit pricey in the uk for what they are though.

Gowans

J Tourettes said:
What kind of terrain are you running on? ie pavement, road, off road. Pavement is the absolute worst for your joints, followed by the road. Also, as you're just starting out, it may help you improve your running form by wearing a minimalist shoe such as Vibram. It's almost impossible to land on your heels with these as it hurts too much so you adjust your gait accordingly. A wee bit pricey in the uk for what they are though.
Its a mix of road, pavement n off road.

Not happening today tho, pissing it down.

I'm gona need sone wet wear and plasters for heel blisters, can't miss any more days.

JonCha

Gowans007 said:
Its a mix of road, pavement n off road.

Not happening today tho, pissing it down.

I'm gona need sone wet wear and plasters for heel blisters, can't miss any more days.
My advice would be to run whatever the weather is and stick to it. Once you start being picky you won't get into the habit of a routine. And in winter you can't not go because it's raining.

Cyan

Banned
JonCha said:
My advice would be to run whatever the weather is and stick to it. Once you start being picky you won't get into the habit of a routine. And in winter you can't not go because it's raining.
Hell, my runs during downpours have been some of the most fun runs ever.

Gowans

Just been out for a jog with the dog in the rain, soaked through.

Decided to do that couch to 5k podcast and it worked really well (tho I wish she would have said when half way was) and the music wasn't as bad as I had thought either.

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/15600100

Felt a lot better than last time even tho I did about the same time and distance. Don't think I'll be taking the pup again tho, too many things to consider and he stopped when another dog showed up and I was on the penultimate running section and got one hell of a stich by stopping.

I guess I'm going to also have to look at when and what I eat before running. What do you guys do?

Neuromancer said:
Ran today. Hot as fuck. Day 2 of the podcast. I've decided the British lady is Lara Croft.

haha now you have said it I agree, how you finding it, less stiff today? I was achey the day after.

Gowans007 said:
haha now you have said it I agree, how you finding it, less stiff today? I was achey the day after.
Yeah definitely, I'm more sore from the weights I lifted two days ago than from my run yesterday.

Well in that podcast she said a banana's a good idea.

Gowans

Yeah I'm defo getting some bananna to put in the blender for a post run shake.

She's really pretty comforting in the run, id do anything she says ;)

Gowans

Woke up super early, I would normally be a zombie but feeling spritley.

I'm putting it down to last nights jog ;)

snoopen

Hey guys,
Will look into the thread and get the app when I get more time, just checking in that I'm jogging/running 5km in just under 21 mins on a treadmill... I feel great, I reckon I can cut it back to under 20 mins pretty easily if I'm running track/outside though, i'm 6"3 and treadmill limits by leg reach so it is mostly high pace jogging on it..

Any recommendations for socks? I'm using cotton anklets from a sports store but they're giving me blisters on the side(about 3/4 way) to ankle. I think my feet are getting too wet?

I'm pretty annoyed that it's so cold here, 0c at 8pm and goes negative until 8am :(. Can't wait for spring/summer to go running around the lakes.

Stet

Banned
snoopen said:
Hey guys,
Will look into the thread and get the app when I get more time, just checking in that I'm jogging/running 5km in just under 21 mins on a treadmill... I feel great, I reckon I can cut it back to under 20 mins pretty easily if I'm running track/outside though, i'm 6"3 and treadmill limits by leg reach so it is mostly high pace jogging on it..

You're not jogging, you're running! 21 minutes is a great time for 5 km. Like sub-3-hour marathon pace.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Good thread. I just ran the Peachtree 10k in Atlanta last weekend with my sister. It was my 13th year running it. Crazy.

Bluth said:
I fucking hate running in the summer.
Yah it's pretty awful. This morning was real nice where I live though, about 75 degrees.

Finished week one of the podcast this morning, I'm a little worried about next week and having to run longer.

I've found running with a water bottle helps a lot as you can take small sips during the walking parts.

GiJoccin

subscribed - i love running

i've done a few half marathons, finally broke the 8 minute per mile barrier at my last one. kind of fell out of shape since. now i'm back at training as much as possible, so i'll probably sign up for a race in 3 or 4 months.

methodman

Banned
i subscribed. i've been working out a lot, but my stamina and cardio is terrible. im going to try that 5k thing in the OP, thanks

I been wanting to get into running to get some cardio going in my life. I used to be quite the athlete when I was younger but have just let that all go and I have the worst stamina imaginable. I tried before and literally almost black out after a few minutes. But I think if my lungs(and my calves) can stand it running could be something very good for me physically and mentally.

Any help starting out? I get very discouraged whenever I go out there for a few minutes and take the rest of the day to recover(and no I'm not trying to sprint the entire way).

snoopen

Buckethead said:
So I just got contacts - should I take them out when I run?
they should be form fitting and not falling out with movement.. i wear mine daily while i'm doing cardio/indoor soccer/squash etc and they're fine. keep them in while you run if they will help you see, especially if you have noise cancelling earphones/headphones in.

Any help starting out? I get very discouraged whenever I go out there for a few minutes and take the rest of the day to recover(and no I'm not trying to sprint the entire way).
that couch to 5k thing in the OP looks interesting for beginners.

edit: just joined the endomondo group.. not sure how much i'll use it as my current setup is nike+ (works well too)

Ghost23

What a great thread! I always wondered if we had any runners here. I am more of a shorter distance runner (mile, 5k), but I feel like I can still help a few people out. Here are a few tips for people finding it hard to get into running.

1. Run in the morning! I know it sucks when you wake up and the last thing you want to do is go outside and run. However, I have discovered it is A LOT harder to get motivated in the evening to run. There is not a better feeling in the world than finishing a run early in the morning, opening the rest of the day up for other activities.

2. Stay motivated! Think about your goals. When you first start to run, it is not going to be fun, and it will be painful. Even when you become a good runner, you will still have bad runs/workouts. I feel these are the easiest times to give up and quit. DON'T DO IT! You will get better. Just think about your end goal. If you want to finish a marathon, imagine crossing that finish line as your friends and family all cheer you on. Think about winning your first race and PR'ing at the same time. It's these kind of thoughts that get me through the hard runs. Motivation is everything.

3. Find a running partner! Anybody that has run before will tell you that running by yourself can be boring/difficult. I have found that running with someone will make you feel better on your run. You will have someone to talk to and push you. Try to find a running club in your area. Getting a group of guys to run with every morning will make it an overall better experience.

That's all I have for now, but I will help anybody with questions they have about running. Stay healthy GAF!

snoopen said:
they should be form fitting and not falling out with movement
I think they are - I'll bring my old pair o' glasses just in case.

I suck putting contacts in takes me like 20 minutes.

Someone make a "it gets better ad" for new contact wearers.

Stet

Banned
Buckethead said:
I think they are - I'll bring my old pair o' glasses just in case.

I suck putting contacts in takes me like 20 minutes.

Someone make a "it gets better ad" for new contact wearers.
I accidentally slept in my contacts last night after a night of drinking. This morning my eyelids were completely crusted over and the whites of my eyes were a bright pink, the colour of rage. Every time I blink it feels like someone is rubbing burned toast into my supple flesh.

bIQYe.jpg

Gowans

Argg!!!! Christ! My pain in the arse girl friend is incompatible with my running shedule. My running gear is in the wash n she's being a right pain with me getting the time to run today.

Was just about to head out too, gona have to see what else I can wear, I can't miss anymore days.

Gowans007 said:
Argg!!!! Christ! My pain in the arse girl friend is incompatible with my running shedule. My running gear is in the wash n she's being a right pain with me getting the time to run today.

Was just about to head out too, gona have to see what else I can wear, I can't miss anymore days.
go running ancient greek olympian style

Crucified said:
I accidentally slept in my contacts last night after a night of drinking. This morning my eyelids were completely crusted over and the whites of my eyes were a bright pink, the colour of rage. Every time I blink it feels like someone is rubbing burned toast into my supple flesh.

http://i.imgur.com/bIQYe.jpg
Sounds rough my friend.

If it's any consolation my contact didn't "stick" to my eye this morning so it went to the top of my eye.

T'was fun.

Gowans

Well I managed to get out, nice and hot today.

It fell apart on the last couple of 60secs sessions but I cut a min of my average mile time overall.

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/15763126

My knee went half way through I could get through that it's the stitches that kill me, fells like someone has a dagger in my left hand side.

D6AMIA6N

Runner GAF, I never knew you existed!

Been running consistently for about 2.5 years. Longest race thus far, 13.1, and have registered for the Atlanta Marathon this October. It is a notoriously hilly course, so I have been running as much on hills as possible. Shooting for a sub 4.

So far I've run 4 half marathons right around 1:50, and about 6 10k's at around 49 minutes each. I'm 33, never had any running experience, and definitely do not have a runners build, 5'10 about 185.

Get out there GAF you can do it!

EDIT: To all who ran the Peachtree this past 4th, how f'ing hot was it! GOD DAMN! Ran it in 49:56, which is pretty much right around my average. As always the wife was faster.

Bradlums

Gowans007 said:

It fell apart on the last couple of 60secs sessions but I cut a min of my average mile time overall.

My knee went half way through I could get through that it's the stitches that kill me, fells like someone has a dagger in my left hand side.
Nice job, breh. Hopefully I can start using this website, looks cool. Bout to go put some miles in and it is nice and hot outside. Wish me luck GAF!

Gowans

Bradlums said:
Nice job, breh. Hopefully I can start using this website, looks cool. Bout to go put some miles in and it is nice and hot outside. Wish me luck GAF!
Good luck man.

I'll do some op updating tomorrow if anyone else has stuff to add.

Gowans007 said:

if i remember my advice from my high school coach, stitches happen because your breathing is too rhythmic. we were taught to either speed up or slow down since that will change your breathing, and to always breathe deeply rather than shallowly to avoid stitches.

ruxtpin

Banned
D6AMIA6N said:
Runner GAF, I never knew you existed!

Been running consistently for about 2.5 years. Longest race thus far, 13.1, and have registered for the Atlanta Marathon this October. It is a notoriously hilly course, so I have been running as much on hills as possible. Shooting for a sub 4.

So far I've run 4 half marathons right around 1:50, and about 6 10k's at around 49 minutes each. I'm 33, never had any running experience, and definitely do not have a runners build, 5'10 about 185.

Get out there GAF you can do it!

EDIT: To all who ran the Peachtree this past 4th, how f'ing hot was it! GOD DAMN! Ran it in 49:56, which is pretty much right around my average. As always the wife was faster.

A fellow GA runner! Have fun with the Atlanta. I did the ING in March of 2010 and wanted to kill whoever created that race course. =P

Top Bottom