• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf to me is the best gaming forum

Humdinger

I've been on several other gaming forums, but I haven't stuck with any of them, because none besides GAF has this mix of qualities:

1. Large enough to have decent game discussion but small enough to not feel crowded
2. Absence of politics; no polarization/alienation of members along party lines
3. Multi-platform site, not heavily skewed to one console or another
4. Good sense of humor
5. Light moderation
6. Diversity of opinion

It's hard to find that mix anywhere else. The only downside is the fanboy types, but you get them everywhere.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
It's really weird to me that many here are accusing ResetEra of being very anti-Sony. I remember last gen, it was the complete opposite where the PS4 could do no wrong and the Xbone was the one taking shit all the time from fanboys.

I don't really follow this console wars stuff all that closely. Has the discourse flipped around this gen because of all the acquisitions MS has been making? Or is it just a case of Era being Era over the recent Jim Ryan stuff?
Just go browse the forum and you’ll see. They’re really being anti Sony to the point the Sony threads are toxic. Constantly posting shitty stuff about Jimbo, insomniac and other Sony related stuff while treating Sony moneyhats as Sony sort of villain stuff while ignoring when MS does it.
They’re also constantly pretending Sony and its games are failing.
It’s not s good place right now for Sony fans.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Honestly though, who gives a shit if some toxic shit hole is negative about a particular console/brand? That other site is a pile of shit. Let’s move on and just talk about why *Gaf* is good and not worry about what goes on in the other place.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Getting better and better due to the moderation and overal vision. Getting rid of politics and in crowd circle jerk injokes etc. You can occasionally see metagaf going into a thread acting like they own the place ,(the usual suspects) Simple thread ignore..Some of those members are very nice for real

🍆🍆🍆

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Honestly though, who gives a shit if some toxic shit hole is negative about a particular console/brand? That other site is a pile of shit. Let’s move on and just talk about why *Gaf* is good and not worry about what goes on in the other place.

To some overall vibe does matter

Perhaps I misinterpreted your post. Apologies

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I think you did. My point is that this is GAF. We dont’ need to worry about who is toxic or what brand is disliked on a racist, transphobic shithole website that is Era.

Yes I do prefer osur nothingburger fake bype rumor filled frontage that mostly served as pretext for weak ass warring =P to hat cancerous site

I kid. Last couple weeks have been very nice

💗💗🔥

Last edited:
Yep. Always has been.

On a separate note, I'm noticing a lot of older accounts are becoming active here again...

suspicious GIF
Say whaaat?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
2022. We survived a pandemic, only to live in a world where there are multiple Era sites now, and they are all completely retarded.

GAF likes to think they’re different then Era, and in a sense you’re right. There’s thankfully no walking on eggshells on GAF.

But GAF clutches those pearls over dumb shit just as much as Era. You’re just the flip side of the coin - but GAF cries about industry shit just as much.

Otherwise this is a fun forum. Most of Reddit’s subs are a stupid collection of memes. Only one subreddit I’ve found invites discussion.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
GAF likes to think they’re different then Era, and in a sense you’re right. There’s thankfully no walking on eggshells on GAF.

But GAF clutches those pearls over dumb shit just as much as Era. You’re just the flip side of the coin - but GAF cries about industry shit just as much.

Otherwise this is a fun forum. Most of Reddit’s subs are a stupid collection of memes. Only one subreddit I’ve found invites discussion.
200.gif

fart town usa

Gold Member
Used to be even better about 10 years ago. Lot's of great contributors making new .gifs, or leaking news or having awesome conversations, but sadly, Trump broke gaf and politics leaked hard into Gaming side. It was a mess for a few years. It's definitely circled back around to being pretty good, but it's not nearly as active as it used to be, or at least, it doesn't feel as active to me. It's still really the only place that I come to though, so I'm here for the long haul.
The hype threads were definitely more robust, unique gifs were a huge part of that. It's a double-edged sword though, there were more people back then but lots of gate keeping going around. I hated that aspect.

I love the vibe here now, I feel like anyone could lurk here and see we're pretty chill and welcoming to whoever wants to shoot the shit and nerd out on games.

Last edited:
Agreed. I did use Reddit for a long time, but it's become such a shit hole the last several years that I'm trying to move away.
I wouldn't go that far. Moderation indeed has become more strict on Reddit, but the only obnoxious subs I really see are the ones that are generally pretty popular or with huge fanbases. Smaller subs are in their majority relaxed.

GymWolf

There is a major difference between being mad and obsessed about something and laughing and trolling something.

No one in here is gonna blitz into blizzard twitter to try to cancel them\they because they/them bend over woke nuts, at best we call the weak spineless cunts for what they are and go on with our lives.

Sure you have some extremist, bu what forum doesn't have a couple of those.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
For me gaf was the best, but in recent months saw several apparently -I assume I don't know the whole story- questionable bans or in my case, during recent days a few deleted posts that I think were respectful and were adding market data related with the topic.

One recently happened, a post comparing sales of GoT and time to achieve them with other exclusive games and trying to find possible reasons in a thread about GoT selling 10M in 2 years. I was editing the post to add additional reasoning but it got deleted, seems because some mod decided we shouldn't talk about TLOU2 or at least it's what I saw later in a mod post that was posted before me, but that I didn't see because I entered to the thread via a notification of a reply.

Another similar happened to me a day or two ago. Again, I enter via reply notification in a thread about FTC regulating the ABK acquisition by MS. We were talking about MS position in PC and comparing it Sony's performance in PC with their recent PC ports, so I tried to provide the available factual data we had to compare: the Steam user reviews (somewhat proportional to Steam LTD sales/users) and Steam top seller ranking position (to have an overal idea of how are they selling today in Steam / if old games still sell). That post took me a lot of time to collect all the data but when I was editing it to add the 2nd half again, couldn't do it because a mod deleted my post.

When a mods deletes you a post there is no message there, so I went to see what happened in the thread because I thought there was nothing wrong on providing factual data numbers to understand better what are we talking about and seems that while I was writing that post a mod asked to stick to the FTC regulation.

To avoid similar future cases I'd suggest to implement something: to highlight the most recent mod post in a thread (if there is at least one) above the "post reply" button, under box where you write/edit a post. And specially to update it in real time, just in case that mod post it while you're writing the post.

These things are frustrating and make people leave to other forums (specially when banned). In the past I was only on gaf after getting permabanned in Resetera for mentioing that the creator of Cyberpunk (who also overviewed Cyberpunk 2077) isn't a white supremacist, but instead a African American folk who has nothing to do with racism. But now I'm posting less frequently in gaf and I'm more active in other forum.

The other place is a pure fucking retarded open cesspool. Glancing at it, you just have all the Sony warriors there shitting on Xbox and PC gamers. Mods themselves ignoring it while talking about respecting each other. Assholes running rampant and circlejerking.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been following GAF for years. Finally decided to jump in because of the moderation is so lenient and not aggressive like it used to be back before 2017.

The other place is a pure fucking retarded open cesspool. Glancing at it, you just have all the Sony warriors there shitting on Xbox and PC gamers. Mods themselves ignoring it while talking about respecting each other. Assholes running rampant and circlejerking.

I will never understand how people can blindly defend companies like that. Seems both silly and really childish. What happened to just enjoying high quality games across all platforms?

2022. We survived a pandemic, only to live in a world where there are multiple Era sites now, and they are all completely retarded.
Which sites are they?

To the best of my knowledge, we only have Gaf and Era... Those are the only big "forum" sites that come to mind.

I think when Era was sold, there were a few people that left / banned because of how the "new" site had betrayed it's "old" roots.

I think there were some murmurings afterwards of people wanting to create an independent "NeoEra" (which is a pretty good name - even by my standards), but I don't think anyone actioned their talk.

Setting up a forum isn't that expensive... Maybe $1000. $3000 if you want all the bells and whistles. But then there's the hurdle of trying to attract users (and building a community). And that takes serious work / commitment.

In some ways, a forum is very much like a social network. And Reddit (it could be argued) is an established forum that also doubles as a social network.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
GAF IS LIFE

Then again, i have a very small amount of threads I visit.

OT's are fine but those industry or what game is better etc I avoid like the plague.

Made my experience here tenfold better - positive

Last edited:
While I do wish there was a way to downvote, I want it so people can see how fucking stupid the post/comment (not necessarily the user) is, not remove it from sight

As is, I think the mods do a good job of letting people argue and voice their opinions, without letting it degrade into baseless shitflinging, while not being pussies and banning people left and right for trivial bullshit (can't even call something retarded without people going up in arms etc)

Good stuff

Last edited:
While I do wish there was a way to downvote, I want it so people can see how fucking stupid the post/comment (not necessarily the user) is, not remove it from sight

As is, I think the mods do a good job of letting people argue and voice their opinions, without letting it degrade into baseless shitflinging, while not being pussies and banning people left and right for trivial bullshit (can't even call something retarded without people going up in arms etc)

Good stuff
I don't like that aspect of Reddit...

I'm ok with upvotes... But downvotes lead to people self-centering (due to the threat of dog piling).

With downvotes, you're in danger of creating another Resetera.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Wait wait wait

There's MORE than ONE?
There are at least a few based on communities they've 'alienated' at various points in time. I think the first sizable one was all the Xbox fan boys.

Much the same way people that get banned here have cried off any made their own forums where they and their 4 Internet friends can talk to each other, Era obviously has the same thing happen, particularly given that they've banned about 80% of registered members over the 5 years they've been up and running.

I don't like that aspect of Reddit...

I'm ok with upvotes... But downvotes lead to people self-centering (due to the threat of dog piling).

With downvotes, you're in danger of creating another Resetera.
I think threat of self-centering is much less an issue if you know that even if you're downvoted your post will have the same visibility as one well received, but I could certainly see there being other unexpected problems

shoegaze

I enjoy the forum too. Visit it every day. Love the difference in opinion, banter, sanity of the space. Good fun and a positive direction after the exodus.

Mods are doing a great job I feel. Just please keep a close eye on them Evilore. Just in case.

I love Gaf, i always followed games news here, decades ago...!

I have nothing bad to say, mods are great, users are friendly, sense of humor with gifs are fun lol, and no cry or ban because of some jokes or opinions about those dictator people on the "bubble" (you know what i meant)...!

It's hard judge a place by its users, because idiots you find on every corner... Thankfully here are just a few!

Can't say the same about fanboys, here has A LOT!

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Last edited:
Top Bottom