• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Votes FOTY 2010 Thread: Fail Of The Year

mr stroke

32b5f66f5cbf7a82e383a8f2da1a148c1edf4943_full-1-1.jpg

Who will dethrone last years winner-PSPGO
2009 Thread-

http://neogaf.net/forum/showthread.php?t=381644

In the tradition of GOTY, we look at the sad side of gaming. 2010 is about over so what was the years biggest Failure?

Rules

Since many people only play quality titles your vote can be any one game or anything related to the
gaming industry-(Infinity Ward/Activision fiasco, NBA ELITE, VGA's, Panasonic Handheld, Final Fantasy 13, ONLIVE, GT5 Release date delay, etc....)

Only one top vote counts(since the list encompasses everything), everything else will be an honorable mention.

voting will close next week

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
For I moment I thought this was about choosing the Feet of the Year :lol

ultron87

NBA Elite. I mean come on, going from being about to come out, to getting delayed due to a god awful demo, to getting out and out canceled? That's a pretty ridiculous failure.

My pick goes to Elemental

Not only did the game ship unfinished, the book wasn't even finished! (ends on a cliffhanger)

Looking forward to finally playing it personally but I'm in no rush, I'll wait till its much better

The launch of GT5, not the game .. while not perfect it is great. But I honestly can't believe people had retail copies before we even got a release date. I fear the patching scenario for actually wanted features and fixes is going to be increasingly long waited.

Final Fantasy XIII, not necessarily because it's a bad game, but they just so under-delivered for what could have been ... and I'm losing hope in Versus.

Kinect's failure to have a compelling library especially compared to what was promised a couple E3's ago. Once again, not the device as it does what it does.

Honestly, not very many games were outright failures for me. I don't really count the Infinity Ward/Activision or the people who leave companies as a "failure" ... forums blow that out of proportion as it's just business and that type of shit happens all the time when you have "talent" and CEO's bumping heads.

It was mostly undelivered promises or just overall expectations for me. But overall this has been an amazing year.

Forkball

NBA Elite. The biggest gaming company, renowned for its sports franchises, has to cancel a game in a series that has been running for 15 years.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Final Fantasy XIII

Was careful not to see what anyone else voted but there is just on question in my mind about what a spectacular failure this game was. So boring, linear. Made only worse by how appalling XIV supposedly was.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Fable III, without a doubt.

I wrote up a little review on it if you want a more in-depth thrashing. Simply put, Fable III is a head-on collision between bad ideas and poor execution. It fails in so many fundamental ways, it's among the absolute worst big budget, "AAA" games that I've played.

Lionhead pushed for extreme accessibility, but only made the game cumbersome and confusing. It took me forever just to figure out how to sell items, switching items takes longer than it should, and the map is nearly useless since you can't even find your own position on it. It didn't feel streamlined, it felt like part of the game was removed.

The combat has always sucked in Fable, but they took it to the next level of suck in III. There are so few enemy types, and absolutely no changes to the formula. During a mission, you precede down a path, fight a group of enemies then move down the path a little more and do the same thing again. It doesn't help that the combat is devoid of challenge and insultingly simplistic, it just feels like a grind as you're hacking away at enemies. I actually started just running from enemies so I could avoid combat all together.

Everything feels so pointless too. There is no real choice, you can hold a button to be an angel, or hold a button to be a devil. It almost feels like a parody of choice driven games. This is a serious problem since it's largely what the game is about. It makes a joke out of the whole King thing since there is no strategy, you just pick A or B. Plus, the King part is very brief and I just didn't give a shit at that point. It ended with a pathetic little whimper and I promptly sold that shit.

Oh yeah, and I should mention that it was a buggy piece of shit. It really did feel like an incomplete game, something that launched in an Alpha state. Fable III is the worst game I've played this year. You can't accuse me of wanting to hate it, because I was pretty excited about it. Enough to demand the OT. It's funny, though, because this long ass post is only the tip of the ice berg, I could go on forever about this turd.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
NBA Elite

When a game is FINISHED, goes GOLD, and even a few retails discs get printed, and yet it gets pulled from shelves, you know you've got an epic fail.

Ashes

Banned
If FOTY can simultaneously also be the best thing for the longest of times than it has to be the Konami conference. If only for the memories... :lol

One million troops. Never forget.

Eric Hall

NBA Elite or APB

FF13 at least sold well enough. NBA Elite didn't even get the chance to bomb and APB bombed harder than anything I can think of recently

Ashes

Banned
HamPster PamPster said:
Will FF13 really get more votes than FF14? 14 seems to have been a huge failure although I won't disagree with those voting for 13

ff14 makes more sense.

ultron87

ZealousD said:
NBA Elite

When a game is FINISHED, goes GOLD, and even a few retails discs get printed, and yet it gets pulled from shelves, you know you've got an epic fail.

Exactly.

Compared to this, any game that came out and sold a few copies was a massive success.

EA felt that getting nothing back for every single dollar they put into developing Elite was less damaging than what releasing this broken ass game would do to their brand perception. Think how bad that game must be.

hatchx

Banned
FF13

Five plus years in development and this is what we got? Awful story, boring combat, painfully linear. A real low-point for the franchise.

ShockingAlberto said:
Game Room.
This is mine, too. And it's mostly down to lack of publishers and the rights to massive swathes of essential arcade gaming after their initial talk that included numbers, like 1,000 titles. Too bad, because there's mostly a lot of great things about it (challenges, realtime leaderboards, trials, etc.

Top Bottom