• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Votes FOTY 2010 Thread: Fail Of The Year

Mileena

Banned
HamPster PamPster said:
Will FF13 really get more votes than FF14? 14 seems to have been a huge failure although I won't disagree with those voting for 13
It's GAF, so the trolls will say FF13. It's not even close to being as big a failure as 14.

jred2k

The new Tony Hawk. Its hard to pick something other than NBA Elite, but I find it a tad more embarrassing to release a game that only sells so poorly than to just not release one.

When deciding between Elite and APB, keep in mind that EA will crank out another NBA game next year like nothing ever happened, while APB killed a company that was riding high off of their Crackdown debut.

So many good choices makes it almost too hard to decide. Activision loosing IW? The NBA game being flat out canceled? FF13? FF14? In a year full of great games, there have been some incredibly epic failures. If I had to choose something that might rival the fail of the PSP Go then it has to go to:

Heavy Rain - The promise of great DLC that explained the story was ripped out of my hands when the new mandate became move controls. A game with so much potential was snuffed out. I'm not buying a stick with a glowing ball. I'll stick with my analogue sticks.

thomaser

ZealousD said:
NBA Elite

When a game is FINISHED, goes GOLD, and even a few retails discs get printed, and yet it gets pulled from shelves, you know you've got an epic fail.

In that case, it will at least be very highly sought by game collectors in a few years. Those few discs that exist will be worth tons of money :lol

shwimpy

I liked FF13 for the most part.

Alan Wake. As a huge Max Payne fan, what a huge disappointment. I have faith in Remedy though... I'm sure the sequel will be much better.

Evlar

Banned
Luckily I have no first-hand experiences that would qualify- it's been a year of good purchasing decisions for me. But through the grapevine, Final Fantasy XIV sounds like an immense fuckup...

TheUsual

Gold Member
Call of Duty: Black Ops

Single Player story was good, but gameplay was "meh."
Multiplayer just isn't as fun as Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer.
No spec ops equivalent.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Objectively, it has to be NBA Elite. It had a troubled development, had a really bad demo released, was recalled after they started shipping to retail, "postponed," the dev team let go, the franchise moved over to a different team, and then flat-out cancelled.

Everyone saying FFXIII, Fable III, GT5, etc etc...I think disappointment is a different category, but that's just my interpretation.

DasRaven

It is literally impossible for NBA Elite to not win this. Jesus Bynum failed for our sins!

How can you get worse than canceling basically on release week AFTER copies got into retail channels?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Obvious answer is NBA Elite, just end the thread already.

Black Ops, Final Fantasy XIII, Kinect

Quit trolling the thread. All of these things sold MILLIONS. Just because these products didn't live up to your nerd ass expectations doesn't mean it's a failure.

DaBuddaDa

Final Fantasy XIV

Arguably the most spectacular failure ever released by a publisher as large and influential as SquareEnix.

Leonsito

People saying Kinect is serious ?

Same failure as Gran Turismo 5 and Donkey Kong Country :lol

NBA Elite this year, it's not even a contest.

LosDaddie

Banned
DasRaven said:
It is literally impossible for NBA Elite to not win this.

How can you get worse than canceling basically on release week AFTER copies got into retail channels?

You're assuming GAFers are looking at this objectively, rather than injecting their own (fanboy) preferences.

But yeah, it's either NBA Elite or APB.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
NBA Elite, easily. Historic failure.

FF13 trolls are just silly

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
TheUsual said:
Call of Duty: Black Ops

Single Player story was good, but gameplay was "meh."
Multiplayer just isn't as fun as Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer.
No spec ops equivalent.

Yeah, breaking sales records over is one hell of a failure. I'd say even if you were personally disappointed with a game, actually getting a studio closed(APB) would automatically be much more of a failure.

I'm still going with NBA Elite though, unbelievable clusterfuck.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
The only legitimate nominees this year so far I've seen in this thread are:

1. NBA Elite
2. APB

I'd like to know which one lost more money in its creation.

LosDaddie said:
You're assuming GAFers are looking at this objectively, rather than injecting their own (fanboy) preferences.

But yeah, it's either NBA Elite or APB.
APB was probably the bigger financial sink, but they eventually got some sort of deal out of it.

Literally nothing good came out of Elite.

Final Fantasy XIV.

The game caused a huge restructuring, heads were chopped and the game is free to play until further notice. SE's next big cash crop is anything but. SE has dropped the ball a lot lately but none of them compare to FFXIV.

seady

NBA Elite.

Not only did it hurt itself, it also kill off the NBA Live franchise and ruined NBA Jam's marketing.

For me, personally? Looksley's Line-Up. Even when I got the controls to work, it wouldn't be long until they stopped working again.

CozMick

Banned
Kinect,
FFXIV
GT5 launch (NOT THE GAME!),
Halo: Reach (Releasing and not being able to play co-op on the newest sku)
APB

jmdajr

I'm enjoying FF13, but what can I say, it has to be fail. Very few like it at all.

No one has listed Crackdown 2.
Could have been so much more.

DuckRacer

As someone who doesn't follow sports games I never knew NBA Elite actually had a demo and retail discs released, that's embarrassing. :lol

For me, probably Fable 3. The worst part is that it could've been great if it had another year to rethink the stupid design decisions and squash the bugs.

Adam Prime said:
Quit trolling the thread. All of these things sold MILLIONS. Just because these products didn't live up to your nerd ass expectations doesn't mean it's a failure.

If someone spent there money/time on a game that turned out to not be fun I think it's perfectly justified that people consider it a failure regardless if it sold a bunch or not...

Reno7728

APB

If you want reasons look for the blog from someone within the studio outline the giant pile of fail that games development was

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Host Samurai said:
I really wonder of what peoples opinions would have been if Final Fantasy 13 didn't have Final Fantasy in the title.
I'd be more curious on what people's opinions would have been if it had stayed a PS3 exclusive.

Rad-

Nowhere in the rules does it say that you have to pick something that bombed financially. A bad product is still a fail, even if it sells a lot.

What game did I find to be most disappointing this year? I'm not exactly sure. There weren't a lot of bad games I played this year. Nothing I'd consider the worst ever or anything. I guess some games I basically dislike are:

Metal Gear Solid PW-Kojima's chance to save Metal Gear for me, but he probably killed it. I do have some fun with this game, but that is in spite of all its great faults. The terrible unbalanced boss battles are a problem. They are boring and drawn out. It takes like 50 missiles to beat the final boss and it feels like it takes an hour with annoying waiting for supplies and waiting for the chance to strike. Other then that, the controls suck and it turns into me just running up to enemies and throwing them down. That can be fun and the game does have classic stealth parts that 4 was missing, but awkward controls and terrible item management bring it way down. Not a bad game probably, but as a fan it's negatives impact me more.

Nier- A lot of hype and I liked Cavia a lot. It seems like a game I would enjoy. I don't and I kind of hate it.

So I'm going to say MGS Peace Walker is my biggest disappointment this year.

But if we are going for a legitimate choice. I really feel like EA has been pretty bad this year. Nothing they do seems to do as well as they hope.

I mean:
Medal of Honor hardly gave CoD a run for it's money.
ABP was a failure and I'm sure they lost money on that.
Dante's Inferno was terrible, but I'm not exactly sure how well it did.
The entire NBA elite disaster.

stupei

JordanLMiller said:
If someone spent there money/time on a game that turned out to not be fun I think it's perfectly justified that people consider it a failure regardless if it sold a bunch or not...

A failure? Sure.

Failure of the year? No.

Top Bottom