• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Votes FOTY 2010 Thread: Fail Of The Year

Leonsito said:
People saying Kinect is serious ?
I think a lot of people who would nominate it weren't exactly looking forward to it prior to release. Not saying you can't be very disappointed with it, but making it *the* failure of the year seems more than just a little tinged by a very negative predisposition to the concept and/or the platform and/or manufacturer. I mean, there are tons of worse things that happened in 2010...like retail gaming, in general, got even worse (!) for its output of interesting gameplay. But this is just my opinion.

Kinda surprised by all of the APB answers. Didn't really know that many cared about it to begin with.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
APB.

I am picking it over NBA Elite becasue it almost certainly lost more money despite the fact it was actually released.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Papercuts said:
Yeah, breaking sales records over is one hell of a failure. I'd say even if you were personally disappointed with a game, actually getting a studio closed(APB) would automatically be much more of a failure.

I'm still going with NBA Elite though, unbelievable clusterfuck.

I don't care how much it sold, the game was a fail to me.

Ihya

Kinect. The video of the guy playing that racing game where he does not even move his hands and still comes in 4th, along with the shovelware that accompanied its release speaks of a multi-pronged failure effort.

FrankT

Kevin T. Butler.

Edit: Most likely Fable 3 for me. Too many bugs and the story is far short of where the first two have landed.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
For me personally: APB.
Because it was the only one I had high hopes for somewhat...what a travesty.

Ihya said:
Kinect. The video of the guy playing that racing game where he does not even move his hands and still comes in 4th, along with the shovelware that accompanied its release speaks of a multi-pronged failure effort.
Games, not Kinect itself.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Holy shit at trolls and FFXIII :lol As if FFXIV wasn't a much bigger flop and a shittier game altogether. Plus, half of the FFXIII hate is pack mentality, it is still quite enjoyable despite the ending being worst of the generation and being linear (which is not a knock against it since it's an awesome linear experience).

I'd have to say Bobby Kotick (+ Activision) continuing to be a dick and tearing up Infinity Ward from the inside out.

Magnus

Final Fantasy XIII

aktham said:
WTF at the FFXIII votes? :lol The trolls are out at full force. Perfect example of sheep mentality.

The sheep are the ones buying it for its name and loving it because it's visually gorgeous and fast-paced. It's the biggest disappointment of my 20 years of gaming, bar none. Don't call us trolls if we have legitimate complaints with the game and you were satisfied with such a shitty product.

I haven't played XIV (and won't), but from everything I've read, it certainly sounds like it was a much bigger misstep than XIII. The whole brand means almost nothing to me now; would never have guessed that 10 years ago.

enzo_gt said:
Holy shit at trolls and FFXIII :lol As if FFXIV wasn't a much bigger flop and a shittier game altogether. Plus, half of the FFXIII hate is pack mentality, it is still quite enjoyable despite the ending being worst of the generation and being linear (which is not a knock against it since it's an awesome linear experience).

I'd have to say Bobby Kotick (+ Activision) continuing to be a dick and tearing up Infinity Ward from the inside out.

Did we ever find out the full story about this?

ultron87

I had no idea FFXIII was hated enough to deserve this much trolling. If this was Disappointment of the Year I would at least consider someone's case for it, but failure? Cmon now.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody saying FFXIII has the wrong numbered Final Fantasy. FFXIII's shortcomings are nothing compared to the FFXIV train wreck.

Anyway, APB and NBA Elite are really the only legit contenders.

V_Ben

Banned
NBA Elite, FF14 and APB. When all 3 were released, but only one was recalled, you know this industry has somewhat of a problem with quality control. Disgraceful.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
LosDaddie said:
APB or NBA Elite

Anything else possibly falls into trolling category.

Overall, I'd have to agree.

Personally, however, I'd vote for White Knight Chronicles. It just left such a horrible taste in my mouth. I can't think of a single redeeming factor that game had. I really wanted to like it too...

jmdajr

I got FF13 for 18 bucks on Amazon. I feel like I've gotten value...TONS
Plus, it's a good change on pace from most of the games I play. It's RELAXING.
Sort of like the easy listening version of videogames.

but absolutely, I can't imagine people having any patience for this game.

after I'm done I'm going to finally finish 12 (which I have not even started!)

This whole year has been a failure for gaming. Everything has been so forgettable.

The routine sequels and no announcements of "fresh" new games to look forward to.

ZeroRay

XIII was a disappointment but XIV is SE's biggest failure since Spirits Within.

But I'd still give the award to ABP, 100 million down the drain.

Top Bottom