• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Votes FOTY 2016 Thread: Fail Of The Year

LordofPwn

1. Mighty No. 9

if you don't remember that dumpster fire of a game release you should educate yourself
No mans sky hype was your own damn fault and it even looked pretty good.

2. No Man's Sky High Hype

1. Konami

I know No Man's Sky is going to win by a landslide, and it 100% deserves it, but Konami's brand of evil is just refinedly vile, while NMS's seems more pathetic, misguided and delusional. What tipped my hand was the recent news of them locking Kojima in a room for six months. I mean, damn.

Edit: I forgot about Mighty Number 9; it feels like it was released years ago, and I think that is because it was plain to me that it was going to be shit for years. Truly a lesson on how people manage to delude themselves when it comes to holding out hope; NMS's epic fail might have been relatively predictable, but MN9's disaster (and deception) were obvious long before release, yet people kept defending it to the end.

I also forgot about Palmer Luckey, but he's more tangentially related to videogames, and him being a shitty human being doesn't affect videogames all that much. In general terms of scumbaggery, of course, he's up there with Konami if not above.

mr stroke

Someone refresh my memory about No Mans Sky ?

I never played the game and heard it was a little empty...

Is everyone piling on because it was all hype and no substance ?

Feep

Banned
1. Palmer Luckey.

No Man's Sky is, at the end of the day, a video game.

Palmer Luckey funded hate speech directly and actively made the world a demonstrably worse place.

TheMan

No man's sky is poised to make a comeback is a big way, but yes the base game had multiple significant issues.

Stoze

Indeed. People only tend to care about things that only affect them personally. Their 60 bucks is more important than the dirty things that led to that narcissistic asshole getting elected.

The NMS developers and members of the gaming press getting harassed and being sent death threats didn't affect me personally. I don't think most people in here voting for NMS are doing it because they merely thought the game sucked or they felt like they wasted 60 dollars, but rather for the outrageous hub-bub it caused in the community from players, press, developers, etc.

brau

here's to hoping the electoral college pulls thorough in this vote thread.

Shouldn't we have a Fail thread for games and one for world events? seems to me like this one posted in the game area would encourage people to think games.

Skux

1. No Man's Sky

It wasn't just the game that was disappointing. Sean Murray's lies, Sony's ridiculous hype machine, constant delays - and all for what? A barebones indie game masquerading as a universe simulator.

People say it should be Palmer Luckey, but he's just one man with an opinion, and I'm happy to put him at my number 2 spot. No Man's Sky and Hello Games scammed hundreds of thousands of people out of millions of dollars. Without a doubt it's the most far-reaching and most consequential failure of the year regarding the games industry.

anothertech

Okay, at this rate number 1 should be NeoGAF. Mediocre games more upsetting than funding trolls to influence democratic disasters with worldwide impact.
It's probably more that no one gives a sht about the guy or what he says. NMS affected gamers much more directly.

1. Street Fighter V launch

2. No man's sky

I feel like SFV was worse. No single player, arcade mode, terrible sales. The game is fucked. At least hello games can "fix" no mans sky through post launch updates. Lots of people still care about the game and it sold well.

cress2000

The NMS developers and members of the gaming press getting harassed and sent death threats didn't affect me personally. I don't think most people in here voting for NMS are doing it because they merely thought the game sucked or they felt like they wasted 60 dollars, but rather for the outrageous hub-bub it caused in the community from players, press, developers, etc.

Did they? That's terrible for all who engaged in that and they don't get brownie points for it. Though, no one was held at gunpoint to buy the game, unless they were in extremely subjective scenarios.

EDIT: I make no claim as to know conclusively as to how people are making their choices in here. But if you want to get objective then what Palmer Luckey did is far worse from what I know.

Kaji AF16

1. No Man´s Sky.

Honorable mention 1: The inability of the masses to learn from history and keep expectations about No Man´s Sky in reasonable levels.

Honorable mention 2: Street Fighter V.

Someone refresh my memory about No Mans Sky ?

I never played the game and heard it was a little empty...

Is everyone piling on because it was all hype and no substance ?

People were hyped for the game and ultimately let down.

It became popular to hate on it, hence why people think it was a bigger deal this year over Palmer Luckey funding neo nazis and his company covering for him.

It's probably more that no one gives a sht about the guy or what he says. NMS affected gamers much more directly.

That says quite a lot about "gamers" then.

Aesnath

1. Palmer Luckey

He actually seems like he may be trying to make the world a worse place intentionally.

NMS, while a big disappointment, may realize it's potential at some point. It is already a bit better than it was (not excusing the lack of communication/missing advertised features). The potential path for redemption for Luckey is much less likely at this point.

PlayerOne

Banned
1. Palmer Luckey
2. People who pre-ordered No Man's Sky.
3. VR (mostly Vive and Oculus)
4. Not sure how mobile gaming is viewed here, but Samsung Note 7.
5. Palmer Luckey

1. Street Fighter V

Specifically the launch, but in general terms the attitude around it. This game represents everything I find wrong with modern Street Fighter: pure mechanics, no fucking soul. And by "soul" I mean everything around the mechanics: The story, the lore, the motherfucking single player content, etc etc. Good luck trying to stay afloat with just the pro crowd, Capcom.

As far as fighters go... SNK and NetherRealm keeping it real. Capcom and Namco can fuck right off.

:)

StAidan

1. No Man's Sky

The Palmer Luckey thing is way overblown and pretty silly to even consider it gaming related, he's just some rich guy who spent money to achieve a political end. If he were planting pro-Trump memes as subliminal messages inside the Oculus Rift, well, maybe we'd have something to talk about.

Gestault

1. No Man's Sky

Honorable Mention 2. Konami
Honorable Mention 3. Street Fighter V Launch
Honorable Mention 4. Palmer Luckey is Awful

Jmille99

People were hyped for the game and ultimately let down.

It became popular to hate on it, hence why people think it was a bigger deal this year over Palmer Luckey funding neo nazis and his company covering for him.

This is why I voted NMS. I feel like the Luckey thing lasted all of a week because, guess what, shitty people exist. Its not surprising in the least, and people moved on relatively quickly.

NMS received hate (and still does) in a way I havent seen from a single game. On a grand scale its so much smaller than the Luckey thing, but for GAF, I feel nothing beats NMs.

kenta

Has no PEINS
1. Final Fantasy XV -- saw it coming but man I dislike this game. Still playing through it but considering the heritage and legacy, this is my disappointment of the year
2. Mighty No 9 -- again, saw it coming but while the game is disappointing it wasn't crushing. Just bounced off it and went on with life

I never bought into the concept of No Man's Sky so it met my expectations, therefore not a "fail" to me

1. No Man's Sky

The Palmer Luckey thing is way overblown and pretty silly to even consider it gaming related, he's just some rich guy who spent money to achieve a political end. If he were planting pro-Trump memes as subliminal messages inside the Oculus Rift, well, maybe we'd have something to talk about.

"Political end" is a convenient term to under-emphasize White Nationalism.

Top Bottom