• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Votes FOTY 2016 Thread: Fail Of The Year

1. Capcom

For their poor release of SFV, it's season pass, and more importantly, installing a fucking root kit in the pc version of SFV.

Sephzilla

1- Mighty No. 9

No Man's Sky was the victim of too much ambition, plus some over promotion on Sony's end as well I'd say. Mighty No 9 failed at simply being a game that Keiji Inafune had plenty of experience making already.

Megatron

1. Capcom

For their poor release of SFV, it's season pass, and more importantly, installing a fucking root kit in the pc version of SFV.

If all your complaints are sfv related shouldn't sfv be your nominee? Capcom has been incredible with their virtual console support for instance, better than any other company.

DedValve

Banned
I want to give it to 3, all regarding No mans Sky

1. The game itself - I was a defender and still enjoyed my time with it but its clear I was given a game I wasn't sold on and it was the first full priced game in years that I returned. I returned it within a month of release. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it improve and harbor no grudge with it but it was a letdown.

2. The hate culture of NMS - seriously there are haters and then there's whatever the fuck has been on NMS since premiere. Its as if people wanted this game to fail and reveled in the fact that it wasn't nearly as grand. They seemed almost overjoyed that people were upset with the game and made an effort in almost every thread to shit on it even when it wasn't needed or even fair (and you posters know who you are even though you'll never admit it).

3: The radio silence from the developers - this is where I couldn't defend the game any longer and decided to trade it in. I just needed a damn tweet saying "we hear you and are working on a few updates, our messaging was a bit unfocused so we are trying to be more careful but we understand the frustration. Please just be a little bit more patient while we figure out" or whatever. They would have gotten picked out by the haters but that was always going to happen. The radio silence was not appreciated and I would have probably kept my game if they had kept me in the loop. They didn't learn a damn thing from releasing the game which involved the lack of proper and clear messaging and instead went the opposite direction with radio silence for almost 2 months. Thats unacceptable on any level especially for your paying customers. It soured me a great deal when I harbored no true negative emotions towards Hello Games or NMS despite being disappointed.

Dishonorable mention: They hype culture of NMS - Death threats for a fucking delay. I don't know if this is more involved with #2 than its own thing but on the other side of the pendulum you had people who swear this game did nothing wrong, as if to find a single fault in it would somehow remove any and all good things the game did do. Perhaps it was a reaction to the overwhelming hate, either way this extremism paralleled the 2016 elections pretty accurately.

All in all I did enjoy my time with NMS, did not enjoy that I dropped $60 on it and am keeping a curious eye for future updates. Maybe they'll pull a Driveclub in which case, fucking ace.

But please, keep an open line with your fans. If you have problems or delays just rip the bandaid out, don't leave the infection to spread. Keep talking, be more careful with stuff you are working on and planned updates and take a PR class or something. Just keep a line open Hello Games lest rumors run rampant and even your biggest defenders will be left feeling the cold shoulder.

And after typing this I might put swap #3 and #1 as I really hated the radio silence moreso than anything else but I'm too lazy to make the edit :p

theBmZ

1. No Man's Sky

I haven't even played it. But, from the countless articles and videos I've seen on it, how can it be anything other than No Man's Sky?

Melchiah

Konami

And on a more personal level, the removing of supersampling from the Pro version of The Last of Us. That unexplained downgrade just few days after I bought the Pro, and started replaying one of my all time favorites for the third time, felt like a slap in the face.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
1. No Man's Sky

The Palmer Luckey thing is way overblown and pretty silly to even consider it gaming related, he's just some rich guy who spent money to achieve a political end. If he were planting pro-Trump memes as subliminal messages inside the Oculus Rift, well, maybe we'd have something to talk about.

At the end of the day, Luckey is a representative of the video game industry and he absolutely belongs on a list of gaming's biggest fails of 2016.

Anth0ny

This will be controversial, but Street Fighter V

No Man's Sky blew it big-time but it also came from a tiny team of 10 people that had no idea what they were doing

SFV was a colossal fuckup by Capcom after the huge success that was SFIV

Yup. It's SFV.

1. Street Fighter V
2. Konami

Cause that fucking MGS3 pachinko.... FUCK

AndrewPL

1. Nintendo

Guess this won't be allowed but this year has been trash tier for nintendo, Zelda was meant to be out at the start of the year.
E3 presentation was only one game.
Wii u output was horrid, everything was thrown out there to die.
Metroid federation force got the criticism it deserved but they still released it.
Nes mini stock shortages.
Holding back info on the nx forever and we still don't have important info.

If that's too many things to group together, my 1. Would be metroid federation force. It is clear what the fans want but they'll never get it. Sad.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
some people like SFV

1. No Man's Sky
2. Mighty No 9

(large gap)

3. Street Fighter V

No Man's Sky was an indie developer biting off way more than they could chew.

Street Fighter V was a new entry in a million-selling AAA franchise and had no excuse to launch in the state it did beyond greed.

Street Fighter V for me.

This will be controversial, but Street Fighter V

No Man's Sky blew it big-time but it also came from a tiny team of 10 people that had no idea what they were doing

SFV was a colossal fuckup by Capcom after the huge success that was SFIV

Exactly.

EDIT: I completely forgot about the Palmer Luckey thing. Christ, that's pretty high up there.

daegan

1. Palmer Luckey

I will never buy an Oculus anything, and if/when he is gone I won't buy anything from wherever he goes.

spekkeh

Banned
It should be Street Fighter V.

1. Street Fighter V

People can dogpile on No Man Sky like it's the cool thing to do and it definitely caused the largest ruckus, but ultimately it sold very well for an indie game, and the game was pretty much what you should have been expecting.

Street Fighter V though was Capcom singlehandedly killing one of the largest franchises in gaming through a few boneheaded moves. It's a much, much larger fail than No Man's Sky.

joecanada

1. Palmer Luckey
2. CS Go lotto
Que the people exaggerating the mediocre no man's sky as if it gave them cancer - ignoring that the pampered manchild who made VR mainstream is a neo-nazi and a group of people made millions making gambling available to children while stacking the odds in their favor.

Agree with this completely. I have zero love for nms but cmon people is this serious or just supposed to be a joke? Nms may even turn out decent for a bargain bin game if they keep updating.

1. Palmer Luckey

brau

Joke.

(Your head.)

People are voting for No Mans Sky when it wasn't the game's fault but the hype. Plus Palmer Luckey and M#9 are way worse than anything NMS did. the only way to rectify it would be for an electoral college.

oooooooooooooooooooh. i get it now. lol.

Dysun

No Man's Sky always looked shaky from the start. People bought into that willingly

Fail of the year is
1) Street Fighter V

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
What a weak year for failures, if the greatest one is just a bad game that was always obvious to be a bad game.

For me, it's Microsoft's continued failure to announce a Banjo-Threeie, of course.

Some possible nominees, even if I do not necessarily think they should win:

- Dead Rising 4
- Super Mario Maker 3DS
- EA's handling of Titanfall 2
- Nintendo's E3

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
1. No Man's Sky

Honorable Mentions-

Sean Murray
The Game Awards
Street Fighter V
Battleborn
Nintendo's 1st Party output

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
What a weak year for failures, if the greatest one is just a bad game that was always obvious to be a bad game.

For me, it's Microsoft's continued failure to announce a Banjo-Threeie, of course.
it's more complicated than that. from appearing on network television to months of radio silence for your customers is so dramatic a turnaround that it's hard to believe it all happened in such a short amount of time.

Top Bottom