• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, what’s your favorite console start-up screen ?

What’s your favorite console start-up screen ?

• Total voters

Airbus Jr

Banned
Nothing beats PS1 start up screen. Its so powerfull it sends shivers down your spine, pure legendary.

Last edited:

-hadouken

CD32 was my first, so It'll always hold a special place in my heart despite the mediocrity of the system.

Last edited:

Makariel

Whichever is the fastest. I despise any logo or animation that is between me and the game. The shorter the load time the better.

PS1 ... Dat anticipation, when you wait for the final "shingaling" that tells you, if the game will start or if you have to turn your old hot running grey brick sideways (or on its head)... priceless.

The other ist the Megadrive/Genesis start jingle of Sonic games...

Halo0629

Ps1 was my fav. Also I still remember my ps1 laser was starting to get faulty and I always get that sign of relief whenever I see this.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
My favourite is GameCube for its playfulness. Other greats are Dreamast and PlayStation 1. Xbox is cheesy in a strange way, but I still enjoy it. The best boot up screens are just plain starting the game, though - NES, SNES, N64, Master System, Mega Drive - these are the secret winners.

Raph64

PlayStation and GameCube are currently taking the lead, as expected. :messenger_winking:

Thanks to Shifty Shifty and sublimit sublimit for the kind words, I can guarantee that your support towards me is gonna be worth it :messenger_grinning:

Thanks also to all the members who participated to this poll, and I got to say I’ve been surprised by the positive reception, it was my first attempt at making a thread and I didn’t expect that much replies.

Anyway, expect to see me around more often ! :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

#1 PS1 intro tune is ahead of the pack by at least a few hundred billion nautical miles.

#2 xb360 wasn't that bad either, but not even close to PS1 tune.

bobone

Its tough between Gamecube and PS1.
I still actually remember the first time I turned on a PS1 and heard that sound. What a console.

I've also had the GBA startup sound as my text message tone for years now.

Esppiral

The moment you realize the original Xbox intro is rendered in real time, mind blowing.

But my favorite is the original PlayStation

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
PS2 for me -- it's not just iconic, it adapted based on the content of your memory card. You might not even see the exact same boot visuals on your own console, let alone someone else's.

Original Playstation brings on a rush of feels. Original Xbox 360 start up screen is a close second, that was a top tier generation as far as gaming for me personally, and that startup screen fired me up.

I cant vote for anything but the classic Neo Geo.
I never played the home console version, but I know if I did back in the day, my mind would've been screaming "ARCADE PERFECT!". That was a big deal back then.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
that's too difficult a question to give just one answer. i've owned every playstation so i'll rank them

1. I honestly can't pick between PS1/PS2 so it's a draw
2. PS3
3. PS4

Y2H

The futuristic and eerie sound of the PSX startup can never be beaten. It let you know you were in for an amazing experience every time you booted up the console.

Ok guys, it was a fun thread but there's only one correct answer whether you own one or not:

post 2nd gen CD-I boot up best boot screen period, nice thread OP I'll treat you to lunch.

EDit: In fact first/second gen CD-i is also good so I put it a close second. I'd put PSX second instead, but the PSX only works if you put the system and game bootscreens together, otherwise it's average at best, so it's third.

Last edited:
Man, there's just too much nostalgia for the original PS. But if I were to somehow be able to remove all nostalgia, I think that the GameCube is probably the best for me anyway.

The PS2 is probably my favorite console ever, but even with that bias, it didn't have the best start-up.

Anyway, I had to vote ps1.

Last edited:
Nothing beats PS1 start up screen. Its so powerfull it sends shivers down your spine, pure legendary.

It probably won't ever be surpassed. It's haunting, mysterious, powerful, beautiful. Jump to 16-bit 2D to 32-bit 3D is what accompanied it too, largest leap in gaming experience for me.

PSX is an odd one because the actual main bootup for the actual game system is the second one. The first boot is basically just an on switch boot, and when you play PSX games on anything not the original playstation it never appears.

That's why the PSX is weaker than people here say IMO, you need both boot screens for the full experience which most people will likely never see unless they decided to go buy a PSX off Ebay. Even most emulators skip boot 1 when a game is loaded.

Nymphae

Banned
PS1 and the game startup sound is the best, I use the 20th Anniversary theme on my PS4 just to hear that on startup.

Top Bottom