• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, what is your favourite starting town in RPG's?

woopWOOP

Midgar, tho it feels like cheating since it's so large. Those pre-rendered backgrounds are still really neat looking.
Otherwise Crysta, love that town music.

Honorable mention to Toad Town from Paper Mario, super charming town with many little things to do.

Jospina

Banned
Midgard by far. Balamb Garden and Alexandria were great too.

Battery Park in Deus Ex was an awesome gameplay experience but aesthetically it was pretty bland. But you could say that about all of Deus Ex in general.

Shepard

Pallet Town. It's nothing amazing but it's the only one I remember.

hqdefault.jpg
This. Just listen to the music. Feels like the start of a huge adventure.

Adding another vote for FFIX's Alexandria. Filled me with wonder when I first played the game all those years ago. Spent ages exploring and playing that jump rope minigame.

Chastten

Banned
Most of the answers given in this thread would qualify, depending on my mood. There's so many good ones.

Ritardando, Arni Village, Pallet Town, Pirate Isle, Balamb Garden, Vale and so much more. If I had to pick one right now though... probably Balamb Garden. That music still gives me goosebumbs.

Peltz

Holy shit, I need to replay this game. Does anybody know how the xbox-version holds up? I only have a laptop these days, which suck for PC-gaming.
A toaster could run it. I'm sure your laptop would be fine.

The Xbox version is absolutely gross. Many of the textures really aren't even visible on the Xbox version.

P.S. I'd also choose Seyda Neen from Morrowind if Zelda games don't count as RPGs. Otherwise, it's Outset Island from Wind Waker for me.

latest

Clock Town. One of my favorite games of all time so it's no doubt that this is my favorite beginning location. The way all of the NPCs have a story that matters in some way, shape or form is excellent. Plus the music is iconic.

I know it's not an RPG, but Bioshock Infinite's Columbia felt a lot like an awesome RPG town, before the violence kicked in. It was pretty, expansive and filled with tons of NPCs to get lore from and fun mini-games to play. It was like the 2013 version of Chrono Trigger's festival opening.

Onett easily for me.

Midgar and Narshe are both interesting because they're both in direct contrast of the calm peaceful backwater that RPGs usually begun in. Less "ready to grow up and go on an adventure" and more "I gotta get the hell out of this place." Narshe especially for me is depressing, at least Midgar has upper class areas somewhere.

Taruranto

Athkatla from Baldur's Gate 2 has this shit on lock.

There are more things to do in Athkatla then in most full RPG's.

EDIT: Thinking about it, Sigil from Planescape Torment certainly gives Athkatla a run for it's money.

Athkatla and Sigil are fantastic, but they don't feel much "starting towns", given that they are the centralized hub where stuff happens.

If it was just "best town" then I would agree.

Artdayne

I really enjoyed Flotsam in Witcher 2.

1938701-1308310563.jpg

this might be cheating a bit, because it is a city but the first time seeing Stormwind in vanilla WoW was very memorable. The grand structures and statues, the music, it was great.

maxresdefault.jpg

KidB

Onett without a doubt. It sets the tone for the rest of the game really well and its theme is so good...

Misuta

Iselia from Tales of Symphonia

Cebalrai from Baten Kaitos
tumblr_lhyg397s1b1qgvvtno1_500.png

Rogueport from Paper Mario: TTYD
tumblr_new6k2QR5b1rrftcdo1_500.jpg

When I hear their themes I get nostalgia shivers.

I'm going to have to say Easthaven, from Icewind Dale. That quest where you have the spirit singing that wants to contact the one guy
and if you have a Bard it gets easier because they get a special dialog option
really sold me on the game. Need to finish it still.

easth.gif

Failing that, Cyseal from Divinity: Original Sin, since it is big, dense (in terms of quests and content) and takes a while to go through. The map seems small but they really managed to pack in a bunch of stuff so that unlike some other starting towns which wind up being basically places to stock up on potions before you head out, it starts to become familiar and feel something like home.

divinity-original-sin-9-1024x576.jpg

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Not the starting city, but the first you come to I guess. Balmora in Morrowind. So much stuff going on in this city with the imperial fort just outside, the thief guild, the quest guy, the mines, all the rumours about awakening or whatever it was. Simplly makes you incredibly intrigued to continue the game.

This was my first thought as well. Instantly heard the music and everything, man that game blew my mind when I first played it.

My answer would have to Inaba from Persona 4. Technically not cheating because you do visit at least one other town.

Tied with it is Ni No Kuni though, loved Motortown, and the first fantasy town Ding Dong Dell. My only regret is that their budget apparently did not suffice to render Motortown fully in 3D, thus the camera angles are locked.

Griss

1. Balamb Garden (Final Fantasy 8)
2. Colony 9 (Xenoblade Chronicles)
3. Rabanastre (Final Fantasy 12)

No 2D town could possibly compare to those masterpieces.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
A few favourites have already been mentioned (outside of Wild Arms - I consider the giant town of Adlehyde to be the start once all three characters join up) but I'm going to mention one that probably won't get a nod.

The Gilded Vale in Pillars of Eternity is depressing the moment you step in to it. A dozen people hanging dead strung from a tree. A ruined temple dedicated to an outlawed god. The populace constantly biting their tongues in case they're the next one falsely accused and thrown up there as well. The place reeks of decay from drought and the paranoia of Waidwen's Legacy. The people are only just clinging on.

It's a wonderful moody place.

HiroTSK5

I'm very fond of Twilight Town in KH2.

<3 Roxas.

This, a town that is always at the prettiest time of day, with an absolutely relaxing theme (at least Roxas' version) that is a lot of fun to run around in because of how interconnected it is to itself. FF references were on point, and the command menu changing to motifs of the first game in the digital version and chain of memories in the white rooms are amazing details.

Muffdraul

Balamb Garden - FFVIII

UwbKAkc.jpg

Not particularly special, but the music is beyond lovely and the concept is all kinds of awesome. VIII was my first RPG as well, so it gets a few extra points there. Honorable mention to Pallet Town.

That was my answer. FFVIII had my favorite RPG world in general.

Camineet in Phantasy Star 1. 80s space anime to the core. Looks whatever in the overhead view but looks great in first person.

sc342.gif

camineet.gif

Also like this one. There's a lady who will heal you for free an infinite amount of times. Very handy in such a grindy game.

The graphics in firstperson view were really impressive for its time.

Top Bottom