• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, what is your favourite starting town in RPG's?

Dark_castle

man starting towns are pretty shit.

Gotta with Midgar, I guess, although that pimp section is dumb. Other than that, cheat answers like Yarnham, South Park, Rogue Port from Paper Mario (aka you're there all the time).

Looks cool, where's the HD remaster?

Starting towns are the best for me. Many examples here were great.

For me, I have the fondest memory of Tristram. Absolutely love the music, the atmosphere and the characters. Rogue Encampment too was amazing.

[Fugo]

latest

So many great examples around, I think Tazmily Village from Mother 3 is worth a mention. Ok I'm biased towards the game, but Tazmily Village is also one of the reasons I'm in love with the game. Not "just" a starting village, it's integral to the heartrending story, it doubles as a location and as a "character"

SomTervo

I love the first town in Dragon's Dogma. It's so bland looking, but it's great to explore. You can actually clamber all over it, almost Assassin's Creed style, and there is cool loot hidden in really out-the-way places

Not too sure if this counts because there are a few little towns in it, but I have really fond memories of the old tutorial island from Everquest 2. I remember staying there as long as I can to complete all the collections and stuff, haha.

The GOAT is Alexandria (FFIX), I think.

After that, it's Midgar (FFVII), Rabanastre (FFXII), and Colony 9 (Xenoblade), in some order that I will never settle on. Arni Village (Chrono Cross) as well, frankly.

Nameless

Not the starting city, but the first you come to I guess. Balmora in Morrowind. So much stuff going on in this city with the imperial fort just outside, the thief guild, the quest guy, the mines, all the rumours about awakening or whatever it was. Simplly makes you incredibly intrigued to continue the game.

CTRL-F : Balmora

My man!!

Theodoricos

Without question or hesitation it's the Citadel from ME1 if it counts as a "starting town". Next on the list would probably be Taris from KotOR.

From JRPGs alone, I'd say Alexandria tops the opposition.

Lanf

mass_effect_1_citadel_dreamscene_by_droot1986-d5sw7hu.jpg

https://youtu.be/9f_CfpCnESA
There aren't many other starting areas that work to introduce you to the world as well as the Citadel in ME1.

This is a great answer! First time in the wards and you look outside... That view gives you a great sense of scale. And the atmosphere was brilliant as well, bustling space port, center of the galaxy stuff right there.

But there are tons of other great ones, Alexandria from FFIX, Midgar,...

This thread makes me want to replay all the games.

Alexandria for me.

Balamb Garden - FFVIII

UwbKAkc.jpg

Not particularly special, but the music is beyond lovely and the concept is all kinds of awesome. VIII was my first RPG as well, so it gets a few extra points there. Honorable mention to Pallet Town.

I don't think a Garden, that's a military base. The town Balamb I think is the first one in the game.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Gonna go with Seyda Neen from Morrowind too. It looked incredible when it launched and it's exciting to wonder what is out just past the town limits. Inside had a Silt Strider, a few shops, a lighthouse. It's a great starting town.

Also Flotsam from Witcher 2 was awesome. It was packed with detail, people running for shelter when it rained, people going about daily tasks, pigs rolling in the mud, cooks cooking and tailors tailoring. It was also surrounded by a huge, gorgeous forest that was fun to get lost in.

Muffdraul

Alexandria for me.

I don't think a Garden, that's a military base. The town Balamb I think is the first one in the game.

Let it go. Balamb Garden had more explorable areas and was generally larger than Balamb town proper. So what it if it isn't technically a "town". It's the place where you live at the beginning of the game.

DJIzana

Since a couple of my favorites have already been posted (Earthbound, Chrono Cross / Trigger), I'll say Pioneer 2 from PSO!

(Still counts because you have the other city in Episode 2 of PSO... while I liked episode 2 more than I did episode 1, I didn't like the other starting city).

Since a couple of my favorites have already been posted (Earthbound, Chrono Cross / Trigger), I'll say Pioneer 2 from PSO!

(Still counts because you have the other city in Episode 2 of PSO... while I liked episode 2 more than I did episode 1, I didn't like the other starting city).

So many memories for this place. I liked Episode 2's Pioneer 2 because there were slightly more things to do (Gallon's Shop with its minigames, for example) but I like Episode 1's for its bigger size, made it feel more like an actual metropolis. Plus the government office in Episode 1 was more iconic and memorable (I'll never forget the first time I heard this music).

DJIzana

So many memories for this place. I liked Episode 2's Pioneer 2 because there were slightly more things to do (Gallon's Shop with its minigames, for example) but I like Episode 1's for its bigger size, made it feel more like an actual metropolis. Plus the government office in Episode 1 was more iconic and memorable (I'll never forget the first time I heard this music).

Definitely. I don't HATE Episode 2's Pioner 2 but I like Episode 1's more (actually, for the exact reasons you had mentioned).

Time to start replaying it! :D

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Base Morrowind runs on everything nowdays.

You would think so, but:

I use to think that, but it still gets crazy hot when running stuff like Volgarr the Viking or Civilization 4(a game that is about as old as Morrowind), but maybe those are just programmed terribly? Best solution would probably be to just get an old pc and hook it up to my tv I guess.

So yeah, I dont know.

CTRL-F : Balmora

My man!!

Nice!

Let it go. Balamb Garden had more explorable areas and was generally larger than Balamb town proper. So what it if it isn't technically a "town". It's the place where you live at the beginning of the game.

First off honey, you don't tell me what to do. I'm just correcting the man.

Taruranto

windurst00intro.jpg

Same game, different city. Oh man do I miss the glory days of this game. Even though it's not the same game these days, I still go back every few months just because I miss some of the locations in the game like some people miss real places in the world. The Federation of Windurst has been my second home on and off for 12 years now.

Soundtrack just for bonus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnP16Ypf4l4

Edit: Damn this slippery slope. Reactivated.

Fuck Windurst!!!

It's a pain to navigate and always been the hardest to reach. Sandy masterace reporting in.

daveo42

Banned
Big fan of Lahan, especially after
you blow it up in the first two hours. Super shocking turn of events when you thought it was a place you'd come back to often and character plot threads would continue during the game. Especially with Alice. Damn...

windurst00intro.jpg

Same game, different city. Oh man do I miss the glory days of this game. Even though it's not the same game these days, I still go back every few months just because I miss some of the locations in the game like some people miss real places in the world. The Federation of Windurst has been my second home on and off for 12 years now.

I was a Sandy sucker when the game came out. The starting area right outside of the city always takes me back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw4IHZT7guM&ab_channel=SupraDarky

Ceravic

Fuck Windurst!!!

It's a pain to navigate and always been the hardest to reach. Sandy masterace reporting in.

Fuck you and your bagpipes! We kept ourselves isolated from the rest of the world because the rest of the world is stupid!

But oh well, at least we're not LASTok!

In all seriousness though I love all three starting cities and have tons of memories that take place in all of them.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
you blow it up in the first two hours. Super shocking turn of events when you thought it was a place you'd come back to often and character plot threads would continue during the game. Especially with Alice. Damn...
Really? Every time I start a new JRPG, I expect
the starting town to get attacked and probably burned to the ground
. I'm more shocked when it doesn't happen. :p

I guess the twist here is that
the protagonist is the one who caused most of the damage

SkyOdin

I'm going to have to agree with this. What makes Lahan stand out is how much effort and detail that went into it. The town has a very likable population, a bunch of unique minigames, and a few secret collectables that pay off much later in the game. It even has a Chrono Trigger cameo!

Bl@de

latest

Khorinis in Gothic 2

Is it a starting town? Yes. It's also the only town in the game :D But I know everything in this city by heart. Positions and daily routines of all NPCs, shops, dialogues ... I spent a lot of time in Khorinis :)

squidyj

I found the citadel to be a disappointingly sterile place that failed to embody any semblence of a lived-in location.

For me it has to be Flotsam from The Witcher 2. The detail and atmosphere and the way it embodies the nature of the world it lives in. A human leader manipulating an impoverished populace with the fear of an outsider boogeyman opposite a cruelly violent extremist terrorist that would almost seem to justify those fears.

In the citadel you went from hollow yet claustrophobic zone to hollow yet claustrophobic zone, devoid of much in the way of life. The Citadel and in fact hubs across the Mass Effect series have been some of the biggest let-downs to me in those games bar-none.

windurst00intro.jpg

This was my pick.

And fuck, now I'm tempted as well.

Other picks:
Alexandria from FFIX
Onett from Mother 2
Midgar from FFVII
Clock Town from Majora's Mask (not really an RPG, but thread's had a few other cheaty answers)

Top Bottom