• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, what's gour favourite starter town in RPG's?

RPG's typically all have one thing in common a starting town/settlement, in WRPG's it's not uncommon to re-visit these locations for a variety of reasons such as such missions or simply because you feel like going back. In JRPG's typically after leaving this area you do not go back there.

So GAF, which stated town/settlement is your favourite?

For me it's Parm from Grandia

latest

EDIT: Image I posted first time was New Parm, not the original Park, my bad.

Can't pick a favorite, but the worst is easy : starting town in any pokémon game. They're the fucking worst. Empty as shit, two houses, one lab, go get the pokémon and get the fuck outta here son

It really is hard to beat the extended first chapter that is Midgar when that chapter was so meaty and introduced half of the party.

Midgar (FF7), Balamb Garden (FF8), Rabanastre (FF12).

Hmm.

Can't think of anything else right now, but I'm sure there are other good ones.

Oh, Boletaria in Demon's Souls.

Mondrian

If we're including MMOs, then I will say the three starting cities from Final Fantasy XI. If not, then Trinsic from Ultima VII is up there for me.

DMiz

RPG's typically all have one thing in common a starting town/settlement, in WRPG's it's not uncommon to re-visit these locations for a variety of reasons such as such missions or simply because you feel like going back. In JRPG's typically after leaving this area you do not go back there.

So GAF, which stated town/settlement is your favourite?

For me it's Parm from Grandia

image8.jpg

I don't think that's Parm... That's New Parm, no? Parm is more of a harbour city.

For me, it's Burg from Lunar:

El Topo

Baldur's Gate 2 - Athkatla. (I know you really start underground, but I'll take it.)

I agree, but it's maybe a bit of an unfair choice, given that most of the game is set there. It's like choosing Sigil from Planescape: Torment.

Seyda Neen

Until I can think of a better choice, I'll agree with this post. A shop, a few small quests, a direct way to bigger towns, lots of surrounding area to explore.

Durante

I agree, but it's maybe a bit of an unfair choice, given that most of the game is set there. It's like choosing Sigil from Planescape: Torment.
I was about to do just that. It's both my favourite starting city and my favourite city in any RPG. Also my favourite RPG, incidentally.

CHC

Seyda Neen from Morrowind:

I always wanted to retrire here after my adventure was done.

I was about to do just that. It's both my favourite starting city and my favourite city in any RPG. Also my favourite RPG, incidentally.

Hehe yeah I was going to do that too but I would consider it cheating.

Dark_castle

Untitled-113.jpg

Shadow Hearts. Zhaoyang village. While typical RPG starter towns are either peaceful or laborious, this one is inhabited by cannibals.

Midgar (FF7), Balamb Garden (FF8), Rabanastre (FF12).

Hmm.

Can't think of anything else right now, but I'm sure there are other good ones.

Oh, Boletaria in Demon's Souls.

Yeah, those would be my three. Midgar is such a cool location, and man, Rabanastre just impressed the hell out of me immediately. It was the first time a JRPG city felt like an actual city to me.

Top Bottom