• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Tenbatsu

yoopoo said:
BootMii from Team Twiizers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oAQ9i4FMeg

The very first working test of BootMii. BootMii takes over the boot process of the Wii and lets you run almost anything (even security code, a backup/restore utility, you name it) from an SD card, before most of the system even starts booting. It is a huge step towards "brickproofing" a Wii, as it will still work even if you thoroughly screw up your filesystem. You could even format it entirely and it would still work.

Here I'm testing it with a small program that modifies the boot code (boot2) to boot into the Homebrew Channel instead of the normal system menu. Pop the SD card in, the Wii boots to HBC. Take it out, it reverts to normal boot. Real handy for coders.
Its good that we are able to use the homebrew channel even without installing it. When will this be available?

jrricky

Banned
One problem I seem to have because Im a noob. So I click the Homebrew channel and start it up. What do I do next? THe screen is just blank.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
So I'm on 3.2 would it be safe to upgrade or don't bother? I have the HBC installed already but didnt they fix a ton of stuff?

Linkhero1

jrricky said:
One problem I seem to have because Im a noob. So I click the Homebrew channel and start it up. What do I do next? THe screen is just blank.

1) Create a folder on your SD card and call it "apps"
2) Download Homebrew Browser from here
3) Extract Homebrew Browser folder and place it in "apps" folder on your SD card.
4) Place SD card in Wii, launch Homebrew Channel and Homebrew Browser should appear
5) Make sure you have no GCN Memory card in slot b and then launch Homebrew Browser
6) Enjoy a fine selection of homebrew :)

jrricky

Banned
NVM. I figured out that I deleted the all the files off the SD card and they were needed. This wasnt stated in the instructions post though. It just said I should delete everything off my SD card.:/

jrricky

Banned
Linkhero1 said:
1) Create a folder on your SD card and call it "apps"
2) Download Homebrew Browser from here
3) Extract Homebrew Browser folder and place it in "apps" folder on your SD card.
4) Place SD card in Wii, launch Homebrew Channel and Homebrew Browser should appear
5) Make sure you have no GCN Memory card in slot b and then launch Homebrew Browser
6) Enjoy a fine selection of homebrew :)
thanks.

jrricky

Banned
HOLY CARP Im watching a DVD on my Wii and feelin giddy at the moment.:lol

This is a joy. Now onto to test out the visual boy.:D

*sigh*

Fine! I'll test out Any Region Changer when I get home.

Quick question: if you change the game region, can you still play VC games? Also, how quickly does the region changing process happen?

It doesn't have to download the firmware updates, does it? I just want to play my PAL GC games without having to bust out the Gamecube.

gloone

viciouskillersquirrel said:
*sigh*

Fine! I'll test out Any Region Changer when I get home.

Quick question: if you change the game region, can you still play VC games? Also, how quickly does the region changing process happen?

It doesn't have to download the firmware updates, does it? I just want to play my PAL GC games without having to bust out the Gamecube.

No need to actually change the region of the Wii to do that.

Just use: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/GCBooter

I used that myself to play my NTSC copy of F-zero GX on my PAL Wii yesterday.

Linkhero1

I guess you missed my previous posts. I've tried GCBooter, Menu Loader and GeckoOS and nothing seems to work. I'm trying to play PAL GCN games on a US Wii, by the way.
I'm not sure where I read this but 50Hz only games wont work on US Wii. I remember reading this but I'm not 100% sure. If that's not the case disregard what I said.

jrricky

Banned
Anyone has any tips on which apps uses the usb drive cause I have a external harddrive filled with music and videos right here to take advantage of.

Linkhero1 said:
I'm not sure where I read this but 50Hz only games wont work on US Wii. I remember reading this but I'm not 100% sure. If that's not the case disregard what I said.
I've heard this too. I was trying the OoT bonus disc (which I'm pretty certain is 60Hz only) as well as Metroid Prime, Wind Waker and Super Mario Sunshine. Bupkis. Apparently, certain US Wiis have trouble with compatibility.

markatisu

crazythan said:
Hey guys,

I'm a homebrew noob. Is it possible for me view avi or other format movies off a usb hard drive???

It is possible but you need to use one of the mplayer apps (there are 2-3), it can read off USB and SD Card as well as servers. They can read avi, mkv, and other formats

Also the Hard drive needs to be formatted with some version of FAT for the filesystem, I do not think Wii can read NTFS or Mac OS hard drives

later

markatisu said:
It is possible but you need to use one of the mplayer apps (there are 2-3), it can read off USB and SD Card as well as servers. They can read avi, mkv, and other formats

Also the Hard drive needs to be formatted with some version of FAT for the filesystem, I do not think Wii can read NTFS or Mac OS hard drives

I get loads of slowdown when using the USB drive for movies. To the point that mplayer wii crashes one too many times.. Seriously, it sucks.

markatisu

later said:
I get loads of slowdown when using the USB drive for movies. To the point that mplayer wii crashes one too many times.. Seriously, it sucks.

Have you updated it lately, USB access was one of the things they just fixed or at least tweaked

According to the changelog
v0.07

* fixed screen color depth/banding issues (uses code from dhewg's mplayer port)
* added progress bar osd display during seek/volume on videos

v0.06

* huge speedup on USB devices (thanks to rodries and Hermes)
* added classic controller support to position and scale the video display

later

As far as I know I have v0.07, but I will double check. The slowdown happens in scenes with lots of action and sound, so when there's just too much "bandwidth" needed.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I've just tried watching a video from USB. It was awesome, zero slowdowns and perfect sync.
Then, Mplayer suddenly crashed and started emitting a fucking loud noise. I think I'll wait for a newer version before trying that again... my ears still hurt -_-

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Bluemercury said:
So is there any risk of briking the damn thing? i want to get world of goo for my wii but its a pal wii.....
As long as you don't use obscure apps, and as long as you're careful about every thing you do (and wait for someone else to try before you do), you should be fine.
I've just risked bricking my ears, though -_-

later

Bluemercury said:
So is there any risk of briking the damn thing? i want to get world of goo for my wii but its a pal wii.....

I did this for world of goo as well, I have described the process of how to get world of goo on your pal wii in my latest thread.. Works excellent. You just gotta be careful what you change in anyRegion changer.

crispyben

Thanks to your help, I am now the proud user of the Homebrew Channel and Homebrew Browser... Thank you! What's the Ocarina option in the Gecko OS? I'm not sure I understand all the other options either :lol

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Ocarina is some sort of Action Replay. I haven't installed it, so I have no idea how it works.

Im gonna try out Gecko OS by end of this week by renting out a PAL game for my US console. It shoudl work and finally I get to play some Wii games without me importing

I installed this a couple of days ago and am blown away both by how easy it was to install and how far the scene has progressed.

Genesis Plus for example works a hell of a lot better for me than the VC Genesis Emulator. With VC I would get random hiccups in the signal the controller was sending to the Wii. In something like Ristar, where you're expected to press and hold a button, releasing it at a precise moment, an interruption in the controller signal was interpreted as a button release and meant lots of unfair deaths. After excessive testing, I have not encountered a single 'controller hiccup' on Genesis Plus. Awesomesauce.

Anybody know which PC Engine emulator is better, Hugo or WiiEngine?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
flipping_heck said:
Im gonna try out Gecko OS by end of this week by renting out a PAL game for my US console. It shoudl work and finally I get to play some Wii games without me importing
Gecko OS works awesome with US No More Heroes on a PAL console.
No More Disc-swap, lol.

markatisu

Jocchan said:
As long as you don't use obscure apps, and as long as you're careful about every thing you do (and wait for someone else to try before you do), you should be fine.
I've just risked bricking my ears, though -_-

Well you do have to remember they are on version 0.7 :lol

I would say in general to wait till an app has at least had 1 or 2 revisions, unless its based off a previous app (mplayer for example is a port from the linux program and visualadvance gx is a modified version of a gba emulator)

Haunted

Two things:

Visual Boy Advance doesn't run as nicely as I'd like it to (going to play Mother 3 via the PC).

Any Region Changer is so awesome. World of Goo! unf unf unf.

crispyben

Jocchan said:
Gecko OS works awesome with US No More Heroes on a PAL console.
I thought Warioland: The Shake Dimension had a mandatory update that disabled the Freeloader, so I installed this before I played it, but I got it started without having to update anythin g (PAL-land)... What's the word on this?

TunaLover

crispyben said:
Thanks to your help, I am now the proud user of the Homebrew Channel and Homebrew Browser... Thank you! What's the Ocarina option in the Gecko OS? I'm not sure I understand all the other options either :lol

Ocarina is like an action replay app that reads ''cheat files'' [.gct] on your SD card. For example if you have a cheat for infinite hearths in Zelda, it will stored in form of a gct file.

How get a gct file'
Ocarina bundle comes with a PC app, this PC app allows convert a bunch of codes in a .gct file.

Where are those bunch of codes that you say'
They are in the usbgecko page, the bundle comes with the link to the page.

How enter a code'
This a little annoying process, first save a .txt file for the game you want from the usbgecko page http://www.usbgecko.com/codes/ then open this .txt file with the PC APP bundled with ocarina. This program will let you choose the cheats do you wish activate. Then the program will generate a .gct file, that's the final file that you store in the SD card.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Gecko_OS#Ocarina

YOU REALLY NEED TO TRY THE ZELDA TWILIGHT PRINCESS POOR RENDERING CHEAT CODE :lol

Linkhero1

TunaLover said:
Ocarina is like an action replay app that reads ''cheat files'' [.gct] on your SD card. For example if you have a cheat for infinite hearths in Zelda, it will stored in form of a gct file.

How get a gct file'
Ocarina bundle comes with a PC app, this PC app allows convert a bunch of codes in a .gct file.

Where are those bunch of codes that you say'
They are in the usbgecko page, the bundle comes with the link to the page.

How enter a code'
This a little annoying process, first save a .txt file for the game you want from the usbgecko page http://www.usbgecko.com/codes/ then open this .txt file with the PC APP bundled with ocarina. This program will let you choose the cheats do you wish activate. Then the program will generate a .gct file, that's the final file that you store in the SD card.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Gecko_OS#Ocarina

YOU REALLY NEED TO TRY THE ZELDA TWILIGHT PRINCESS POOR RENDERING CHEAT CODE :lol
When I first heard of this Ocarina app I thought it was a virtual ocarina. :lol

I wish it were :(

markatisu

Haunted said:
Two things:

Visual Boy Advance doesn't run as nicely as I'd like it to (going to play Mother 3 via the PC).

Well last week they updated it and said emulation is nearly full speed so a better release will probably come by the end of the month (they update about every 2 weeks)

V1.02 also is based on a new build completely, not just a port from other GBA emulators.

Too bad there is not some master list of what runs good and what does not

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Okay, I downloaded the Homebrew Browser and I put it in my apps folder but whenever I try to boot it up from the Homebrew Channel, I get an error message. Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

Edit: The error I'm getting goes as follows: 'fwrite error: [1] Not owner.

Rewrite said:
Okay, I downloaded the Homebrew Browser and I put it in my apps folder but whenever I try to boot it up from the Homebrew Channel, I get an error message. Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

It has detected that the Wii you have is stolen. Pack up the Wii, strip off and curl up in a corner while the cops arrive.

EDIT: Serious answer, see the post below.

jrricky

Banned
Rewrite said:

i have no idea since i just started but here goes my troubleshooting step:

-any gamecube mem cards plugged in, plug them out.
-do not delete any files off of the SD card until you are done setting everything up.

I tried........
It has detected that the Wii you have is stolen. Pack up the Wii, strip off and curl up in a corner while the cops arrive.
or this :lol

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
jrricky said:
i have no idea since i just started but here goes my troubleshooting step:

-any gamecube mem cards plugged in, plug them out.
-do not delete any files off of the SD card until you are done setting everything up.

I tried........

or this :lol
:lol :lol It just doesn't work. As soon as I get that message, it just goes back to the Homebrew Channel Menu.

Edit: You're so mean viciouskillersquirrel.
Indifferent2.gif
<3

Linkhero1

EDIT: Serious answer, see the post below.
:lol :lol :lol

would have been great if no one posted after you :p

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I figured out what was my problem. My SD card was locked so it would give me that error. Can't believe I didn't see it was locked. Fucking stupid shit. :lol

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I searched the first two posts, sorry if this is already asked/answered in the thread.

Is there any homebrew workaround for copying SSB Brawl's colossal save to a SD card?

Also, is the OP perm'd?

d+pad

Haunted said:
Two things:

My thoughts exactly. For many games, it does run at full speed, but for others (FFIV, V and VI Advance, for instance) the sound and framerate are all over the place. I'm guessing the people working on updates will get it working eventually, though.

Top Bottom