• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

-PXG-

TunaLover said:
A good new among the 4.2 disaster.
Wii64 beta1 released http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii64

Wii64-menu.png

-Emulation via Dynamic Recompiler & Pure Interpreter
-Hardware Accelerated Graphics (glN64 ported to GX by sepp256)
-ROM Support up to 512MBit
-Expansion Pak support
-High Level PowerPC RSP
-Interpolated Stereo Sound
-Input via Gamecube & Classic Controller & Wiimote + Nunchuck
-Configurable input combinations
-DVD/USB/SDGecko/Front-SD ROM Loading
-Native Saves
-Save States
-Rumble/Controller Pak Support
-Progressive/Widescreen Resolution

Check compatibilty list on http://emulatemii.com/wii64/compatList/

YES!!!!1

YES!!!!!

THIS IS DELICIOUS!!!!

Anony

looks like a update to HBC as well

# Widescreen support.
If your Wii is set to 16:9 in the system menu options, HBC won’t strech the picture like it did on older versions. Unfortunately the fonts might look a little weird then, it really depends on the used display unit. Blame the lack of true widescreen support on the Wii for that.
# Grid view.
Hit 2/Y while browsing applications to switch between the old and the new view. This shows 4 columns on 16:9 setups, 4:3 users only get 3.

about fucken time

jrricky

Banned
Am I reading the title correctly? If I have HBC installed I can update, but if I dont it will brick my Wii (doesnt make any sense)?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
If you have HBC and update...well...I don't know what to tell you, especially with that warning in the thread title.

(if you update, it'll kill HBC, Bootmii, and other things)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
jrricky said:
Am I reading the title correctly? If I have HBC installed I can update, but if I dont it will brick my Wii (doesnt make any sense)?

No, the risk is updating in general. The update measure for 4.2 is apparently shonky, and could potentially brick your Wii. The update is entirely targetted towards Homebrewers, but it doesn't matter either way; people without homebrew still run risk of bricking.

In otherwords, dont update at all for the time being.

TunaLover

Bluemercury said:
So is there a way to know if updating will brick the console. I do have hbc....

DO NOT UPDATE, there no games that use 4.2 just yet. If you want use Wii Shop Channel use WiiSCU to update the channel, if you are on 4.1 you already have all IOS to run Shop Channel without problems.

TunaLover said:
LOL They just change the tittle ID for HBC, bang!
Nintendo will need a new update for each channel ID change in order to wipeout every release, it's getting funny :lol
I don't know much about Wii's workings behind the scenes--would it be possible for it to use a semi-random ID upon installation?

Wait a sec. So Nintendo is accidentally bricking non homebrew users and ironically, people who have installed homebrew are fine?

lolz if true.

edit:

No, the risk is updating in general. The update measure for 4.2 is apparently shonky, and could potentially brick your Wii. The update is entirely targetted towards Homebrewers, but it doesn't matter either way; people without homebrew still run risk of bricking.

In otherwords, dont update at all for the time being.

Ah.
Still, Lolz.

jrricky

Banned
Well, I just checked and the Nintendo channel is fine for me without doing an update:D ..man the new Nintendo Channel is all kinds of awesome, I love the layout. Which begs the question, why isnt the shop channel as stylish as this?

EDIT:shop channel doesnt work. :/

TunaLover

JoshuaJSlone said:
I don't know much about Wii's workings behind the scenes--would it be possible for it to use a semi-random ID upon installation?

In theory I think it's posible, but the risk is too high, imagine if the random ID created is the same ID as an original VC/WiiWare game, it could overwrite the game channel overwriting the download ticket. That in a low level risk, other things like signed ToS are stored as channel too.

zigg

jrricky said:
Well, I just checked and the Nintendo channel is fine for me without doing an update:D ...

It's the Shop Channel that is blocked unless you update. I don't think any of the others were, in any event.

civilstrife said:
Wait a sec. So Nintendo is accidentally bricking non homebrew users and ironically, people who have installed homebrew are fine?

lolz if true.

edit:

Ah.
Still, Lolz.

I would think that homebrew wiis can be bricked as well.

Azure J

Soooo, in the span of 2 days, Nintendo has really made me re-evaluate how much consumer trust I'm willing to put in their products from now on... Amazing. :lol

Yes, I know updating to 4.2 was optional, but fuck I never expected the possibility of bricking the thing from an official update. *Is scared to turn it on now*

TunaLover

zigg said:
It's the Shop Channel that is blocked unless you update. I don't think any of the others were, in any event.

You can still use the Wii Shop Channel on 4.1, as the channel uses the same old IOS61.

Just download it with WiiSCU -there another more friendly method in wiibrew right now- and update the WiiShop Channel. What the system blocks is dowload the latest Wii Shop Channel if 4.2 is not present, but the channel is still functional under 4.1.

thefro

Sounds like from reading the official Nintendo forum linked in the announcement that it's just a few people whose Wiis have been bricked from this. Some of them admit they powered off the console in the middle of the update.

It's not some massively widespread problem... the update has been out for a couple days.

IMHO, the "WARNING!" on this is way overblown and is more the homebrew community to try and sway opinion towards their side.

Jesus Christ. I don't have any homebrew, so lucky I stopped to actually read the announcement and this thread title. What on earth are Nintendo doing over there? Usually I'd look for a silver lining and think, "Hey, maybe now they'll realize that they need to get their shit together," but then I remember it's Nintendo.

TunaLover

Dragona Akehi said:
They really should just hire marcan and bushing. :p

Nintendo rushed code for boot2 is to blame, working at so depth machine level should have required alot more test, I remember the bootmii team was developing the thing over 1 a half year +/- =/

The writing process on bootmii is too sensible to make an update for it, over WiFi -.-u

CTLance

Oh Nintendo... :lol

What on earth are these guys doing? Hitting their keyboards with their heads until the next update somehow compiles? How did they not notice the faulty boot2 installer?

I'm so happy that I didn't update by accident.

Miau

Neo Member
Dragona Akehi said:
They really should just hire marcan and bushing. :p

What's funny is that they could be working for them right now, specially after the open letter. But that would make to much sense. Nintendo prefers the "I won't address it, therefore it will go away on its own".

I'm happy to see that that strategy is working for them.

wsippel said:
The funny thing is that Nintendo actually developed their own operating system a while ago, and while it's not exactly groundbreaking, it's actually a real and working microkernel-based OS. It was released under the Apache License 2.0 a while ago, so in case anyone is interested: http://code.google.com/p/es-operating-system/

I've been wondering what happened to this. I remember hearing about this and I actually attended one presentation about this subject some time ago here in Portugal.

thefro

EmCeeGramr said:
Jesus Christ. I don't have any homebrew, so lucky I stopped to actually read the announcement and this thread title. What on earth are Nintendo doing over there? Usually I'd look for a silver lining and think, "Hey, maybe now they'll realize that they need to get their shit together," but then I remember it's Nintendo.

If this was a real major issue there would have been a huge outcry already, but it just seems to be the freak accident here and there which will happen whenever something that's practically firmware gets updated. You're talking a few dozen people out of millions of Wii owners.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
On anther topic, is there any tool to check if any of the IOS files are corrupted? My Wii has been locking up and holding up at boot pretty often.

thefro said:
Sounds like from reading the official Nintendo forum linked in the announcement that it's just a few people whose Wiis have been bricked from this. Some of them admit they powered off the console in the middle of the update.

It's not some massively widespread problem... the update has been out for a couple days.

IMHO, the "WARNING!" on this is way overblown and is more the homebrew community to try and sway opinion towards their side.

The warning is a warning. If you don't want to heed it, it's fine by me. Regardless, this update has shown to brick Wiis thanks to shoddy code. On the goddamned boot sector.

TunaLover said:
Nintendo rushed code for boot2 is to blame, working at so depth machine level should have required alot more test, I remember the bootmii team was developing the thing over 1 a half year +/- =/

The writing process on bootmii is too sensible to make an update for it, over WiFi -.-u

It's incredibly sad and pathetic that homebrew coders are more professional than the "official" firmware coders at Nintendo.

marcan and bushing spent over a year making sure that every bit of their boot2 code would be safe for any Wii. They knew how (relatively) dangerous writing there could be.

TunaLover

Drkirby said:
On anther topic, is there any tool to check if any of the IOS files are corrupted? My Wii has been locking up and holding up at boot pretty often.

Every firmware update every IOS in your console, if you made an official 4.1 for example you got every released IOS clean. If you have preloader or other vanilla thing, you could experiment some problems, but I'm not into that thing so I couldn't offer much help.

thefro said:
If this was a real major issue there would have been a huge outcry already, but it just seems to be the freak accident here and there which will happen whenever something that's practically firmware gets updated. You're talking a few dozen people out of millions of Wii owners.
An official update is causing -as a direct result of poor coding- some consoles to become inoperable and forcing owners to call tech support, send in their consoles, and pay money for a repair or new Wii. Even if it turns out to be "a few dozen" cases, that's simply inexcusable.

zigg

TunaLover said:
You can still use the Wii Shop Channel on 4.1, as the channel uses the same old IOS61.

Just download it with WiiSCU -there another more friendly method in wiibrew right now- and update the WiiShop Channel. What the system blocks is dowload the latest Wii Shop Channel if 4.2 is not present, but the channel is still functional under 4.1.

Right, sorry for the confusion. I was speaking in the context of a non-brewed system.

Dynamic3 said:
Then why are you in the homebrew thread?

Because the announcement led him here?

EmCeeGramr said:
An official update is causing -as a direct result of poor coding- some consoles to become inoperable and forcing owners to call tech support, send in their consoles, and pay money for a repair or new Wii. Even if it turns out to be "a few dozen" cases, that's simply inexcusable.

I'd sincerely hope that free repairs are or will be (once they realize their fuck-up) offered.

By the way, count me among the successful non-brewed updaters. The mention of ECC suggests to me this is primarily a problem if there are any Flash errors in the boot2 area; ECC would help guard against this causing a problem on read.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
TunaLover said:
Every firmware update every IOS in your console, if you made an official 4.1 for example you got every released IOS clean. If you have preloader or other vanilla thing, you could experiment some problems, but I'm not into that thing so I couldn't offer much help.
Are you sure? When playing around with some of the homebrew stuff I think a few of the custom IOS didn't install correctly, since thats when my problems started.

CTLance

EmCeeGramr said:
I wonder what the legality of all of this is. An update bricking the systems of a ?significant? number of honest customers sounds like a grand opportunity for lawyers to make some moolah.

Datschge

The "Why are suddenly so many people turning off their Wii during an update" bad press? If there's barely one knowing the cause the issue may not become really public at all. We already have people stating that the warning is exaggerated in this very thread, just because the boot loader updating code randomly fails without discriminating between casuals, homebrewers and pirates. Once the firmware is borken the brick likely looks no different people interrupting an update which may happen regularly on a small scale anyway...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Everytime I see a post explaining why bricks are occurring on their tech forum, it gets deleted right away. Why the cover up? I guess they don't want to assume responsibility

TunaLover

Drkirby said:
Are you sure? When playing around with some of the homebrew stuff I think a few of the custom IOS didn't install correctly, since thats when my problems started.

System menu doesn't work with custom IOS, that's because they are independient, however you could give us more info about your problem. It's only a boot problem?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
From reading post on Nintendo's technical forms, people have said their Wiis are hanging and updating FOREVER. ie; updated the Wii, back in half an hour still updating, when out for dinner, still updating, went to bed woke up in the morning, still updating.. then I turned it off.

I feel bad for these people because this is the exact opposite of what Nintendo had in mind. Only Homebrew guys will know about this and avoid the error while commoners suffer. :lol

Note: If you have already successfully updated to System Menu 4.2, your Wii is safe. The danger is only during the updating process.

So I guess if the Wii updates uninterrupted it's safe? How can I tell if things are good?

Inarius

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
I don't understand what was going through Nintendo's head when they put this patch out. Did they really think that the hackers would hop all over this patch? In my experience in homebrew, custom firmwares, and hacking the number one rule is "If current f/w works...don't update"

It saddens me thinking about the casuals, which were Nintendo's entire focus this gen, having their systems brick and having no clue what to do. Unfortunately from reading on Nintendo's forums it would seem they haven't done any sort of control for this yet and people are just jumping on the whole 'pay $75 to send it in for repair' boat. They need to make some mass e-mail immediately to address this.

Top Bottom