Gafcast Episode 009 10-24-06 - Cords and Sony gamers day

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
May 30, 2004
38,700
0
0
36
saitama, jyapyaon
#1
Hey guys another week another cast. We've got Kohler back and Dcharlie actually talks! Stay tuned next week for our 10th annaversary show with our first interview!

Rapid fire news
1. New "BETTER THAN WII" controller
2. Zoonami has a game coming out!
3. Installing games on ps3
4. Blue dragon special edition preorders sell out in 5 minutes
5. Fox and universal bail out on halo movie


Topics for the week:

Sony gamers day.

Cords Cords Cords!



Direct download link

GAFcast main page



Subscribe to the GAFcast:



 
Feb 10, 2005
27,194
0
0
Edinburgh, Scotland
twitter.com
#9
'Quotes post full of pictures. It's twice as awesome!'

Haha.


EDIT: I'm going to 'keep' that 3000$ minimum especially with Lik-sang and such going down in flames. I'm going to be one of few with a unit in Europe (Norway/Australia to be specific). It's a lot of fun being a part of the hype and first to be there..etc.

Question: Who's the bigger F up, Nintendo or Sony?

Sony miss stepped a lot at E3 and it has been burning for them for months. But things are turning back to normal again and as for my gaming preferences, they're the still the numero uno. Nintendo has done great for themselves and seem to succeed with the goals they have set, unfortunately those goals doesn't appeal to me. Waggle is interesting sure but why ditch everything else like epic gaming, graphics, online..etc. As many have said, it's not necessarily a console meant for the traditional hardcore. (In Norway actually, the Wii is more expensive than the X360 tard, the Wii costing 2300nok and X360Tard 1900nok)
 
Jun 6, 2004
2,735
0
0
www.productwiki.com
#12
About BR and HD-DVD

Kohler has it right. Starting next year every player is going to be hybrid, and the whole Blu-Ray/HD-DVD monikers will probably get fused into one. What kind of movie a particular studio makes will just be up to what they're suited for, what their current infrastructure supports.

From a consumer perspective it won't matter, you'll just be buying an HD-Ray movie that may or may not work on your early adopter got screwed player.
 
Feb 10, 2006
22,757
1
1,290
#13
rastex said:
Starting next year every player is going to be hybrid, and the whole Blu-Ray/HD-DVD monikers will probably get fused into one.
While it may well happen eventually, it's not in the near future. As long as companies like Sony are blocking hybrid players, it's not happening.
 
Feb 10, 2006
22,757
1
1,290
#15
Question: Who's the bigger F up, Nintendo or Sony?
I'm going for Nintendo here.
While Sony may have a lot of problems, they are for a large part due to manufacturing difficulties caused by supply issues, which is something they don't have complete influence over. Nintendo on the other hand has a console that is very cheap to produce and is clearly geared towards the non-gamer with minigame collections and non-games as some of the most prolific genres on the console. Yet what they are doing is selling the thing at a price that, while netting them a significant profit, puts them well outside the impulse buy and mainstream price range.

With such a cheap console it would have been quite advantageous to capitalize on having it at mainstream pricing right from the get go. This, combined with a unit that would be easy to produce in significant numbers, could have given them a massive install base early on. And as we all know, if you get that, there's a domino effect which would give them more 3rd party support, which in turn makes more people interested in the console, and thus makes for more consoles sold.

It's really a missed opportunity if you ask me.
 
Jun 6, 2004
2,735
0
0
www.productwiki.com
#16
Kabouter said:
While it may well happen eventually, it's not in the near future. As long as companies like Sony are blocking hybrid players, it's not happening.
Are they really blocking hybrids from being made? Hrmm... stupid strong arm tactics.

And DC with 2 wanker mentions YES! Sporsk threw one in there as well, but it doesn't count.

Brutal honesty: Sporsk is a dead weight/weaking link in the chain by far. I understand he's instrumental in putting it all together, but hopefully sporsk you recognize what's best for the podcast and run things from behind the scenes, and replace yourself with a more charismatic person. Not Evilore though...
 

bud

Member
Nov 22, 2004
34,569
0
1,530
#17
rastex said:
Brutal honesty: Sporsk is a dead weight/weaking link in the chain by far. I understand he's instrumental in putting it all together, but hopefully sporsk you recognize what's best for the podcast and run things from behind the scenes, and replace yourself with a more charismatic person. Not Evilore though...
sp0rks am cry
 

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff member
May 30, 2004
20,690
6,571
1,450
#18
rastex said:
Brutal honesty: Sporsk is a dead weight/weaking link in the chain by far. I understand he's instrumental in putting it all together, but hopefully sporsk you recognize what's best for the podcast and run things from behind the scenes, and replace yourself with a more charismatic person. Not Evilore though...
N64 comparison still making you cry?
 
Jun 7, 2004
63,747
2
0
#21
www.monoprice.com

Sony be praised, HDMI cable for cheap. PS3 wins.

Oh and Nintendo sux for putting component cables online only. Sony pisses me off too for lack of component in the box0r but I can use my existing PS2 component cable ftw.
 
Jun 6, 2004
2,735
0
0
www.productwiki.com
#22
EviLore said:
N64 comparison still making you cry?
You're actually not that bad, definitely better than sporsk. But I think there's someone better and probably clicks with the other 2. I'd love to see DaCoCoBravo on the podcast, that'd be great. Or even DarienA. Phoenix.

And just so people don't think I'm only into black guys here are some other suggestions
Saint Cornelius (though he's been gone for a while now right?)
Triumph (don't know what the hell his name is now)
Morpheus (admit it, it'd be funny for an episode at least)
Gofreak
BenjaminBirdie
drohne


Though I should add that I do want to see more ethnic diversity in the podcast. We already have like.. 8 podcasts with a group of nerdy white guys.
 

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Apr 24, 2006
30,299
0
0
#27
rastex said:
You're actually not that bad, definitely better than sporsk. But I think there's someone better and probably clicks with the other 2. I'd love to see DaCoCoBravo on the podcast, that'd be great. Or even DarienA. Phoenix.

And just so people don't think I'm only into black guys here are some other suggestions
Saint Cornelius (though he's been gone for a while now right?)
Triumph (don't know what the hell his name is now)
Morpheus (admit it, it'd be funny for an episode at least)
Gofreak
BenjaminBirdie
drohne


Though I should add that I do want to see more ethnic diversity in the podcast. We already have like.. 8 podcasts with a group of nerdy white guys.
pretty rude, man, especially considering all the labor that obviously goes into these. the gafcast is one of the few podcasts i look forward to anymore, and sporsk does a good job of helming the ship.

nine episodes in any you're already calling for a mutiny? christ, let it get out to sea first.
 

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Jun 9, 2004
15,532
0
0
SE DC
#31
Yeah, you need someone like me to participate... You got the nerdy American, distinguished European in Japan...

You need some soul!
 
Jun 6, 2004
2,735
0
0
www.productwiki.com
#39
beelzebozo said:
pretty rude, man, especially considering all the labor that obviously goes into these. the gafcast is one of the few podcasts i look forward to anymore, and sporsk does a good job of helming the ship.

nine episodes in any you're already calling for a mutiny? christ, let it get out to sea first.
Fair enough, and I totally acknowledge the crazy amounts of work it goes into setting something like this up, and I know sporsk was instrumental in creating it. Bigtime kudos to him on that, it's a great accomplishment. It's just his performance that I have issue with.

ways sporsk can improve:
quit it with the long pauses, or at least edit them out in post
don't use stupid phrases like "that's gross", what are you 10?
why do you always sound like you're whining?

Kohler's voice is pretty annoying as well, but he's a good talker so it's ok. And I have a thing for british accents so I'm bias when it comes to DC.
 
Jun 12, 2004
27,156
1
0
fgggd
#43
Sporsk does fine. But as I said last week, the GAF Cast could use another person or two with gaming taste that vary from the current regulars, just so things wouldn't be so civil all the time. But the show overall is good. I make it a point to listen every week which is saying something.
 

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Staff member
Jun 7, 2004
23,294
25
1,480
www.dcharlie.com
#44
But as I said last week, the GAF Cast could use another person or two with gaming taste that vary from the current regulars, just so things wouldn't be so civil all the time.
i'm really not convinced that the cast being civil is a bad thing - although then again, i'm not listening to it that much so i don't really know!

I'm pretty sure a GAF cast consisting of constant bickering or over playing biases would become insanely annoying pretty quickly.
 
Apr 19, 2005
12,668
0
0
#45
oh nice. this one was pretty good

DCharlie said:
I'm pretty sure a GAF cast consisting of constant bickering or over playing biases would become insanely annoying pretty quickly.
yeah, at least if it isn't real. believable characters is nice probably, bad actors not so much. but it could probably use another person or two on there if possible, to change it up
 

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Apr 26, 2006
44,545
159
1,275
California
www.squackle.com
#48
well, just listened to the whole thing...i enjoyed it


i guess for the question of the week, who the biggest ****-up is, i think sony/nintendo are both about equal.

sony wants to promote the "hd"-ness of the ps3, but has no hd cables, but at least you can use the ps2's component cables etc.

with nintendo, you can't even use the same cables, and they're only available online... now that's just retarded to me. what has changed so much in the technology from gamecube->wii that you need to have a different connector? :\
 
Aug 16, 2005
5,938
0
0
30
The Netherlands
#49
YAY

Real gaf heroes is back <3

/edit
:eek: my nick in the show :eek:

Q of the week:
Nintendo didn't f up that much (online is a F up though), price is alright as the console will sell out anyway.

Sony's high price and PAL delay is a f up if you ask me (as a European). And not even talking about the low launch numbers.