• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaffers, how likely is it that I got scammed?

So I've been trying to a score a webcam for a reasonable price and that seems to be near impossible right now. Been browsing passively for about week on the typical websites and nothing has changed. So I stumbled upon a website that was offering a deal I couldn't pass up. $80 roughly for the Razer Kiyo.

So naturally, I ordered it and there were some hiccups. I couldn't use my PayPal account to buy it, so I had to use my Credit Card and PayPal as a pass-through. The transaction doesn't show up on my PayPal activity feed, so I can't even dispute it through the site. Anyways, I decided to do some research after I made the order. I know, should have done it before, but...
i-want-it-now-gif-1.gif

Anyway, the site was created about a month ago through Shopify and the support email is a Gmail one. (Email:Middletonfacademick02121@gmail.com ). I purchased the webcam on Saturday and it's still in open order status.

I just needed a place to vent my stupidity. Thank you, NeoGAF for not being judgemental.

Stouffers

Banned
I was about to comment this has nothing to do with Golfing but then re-read the title and discovered my reply would have been inappropriate.

Name of the website is just a whole red flag and the design of it just seems rushed out and pretty terrible. Also, that price difference is to hook you in most likely. Would never order from a website like this imo.

Well, the webcam was on sale for $99 for some time on multiple websites. Not an excuse, but yeah. The site was created using Shopify. Hopefully, I can contact them and dispute it.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I've talked to Shopify about scams before, and their support told me they don't handle support on behalf of anyone using their platform. (Wasn't a scam that got me, dw ;3)
If the product never arrives, try disputing the payment via your credit card company. It's always worked for me.

I've talked to Shopify about scams before, and their support told me they don't handle support on behalf of anyone using their platform. (Wasn't a scam that got me, dw ;3)
If the product never arrives, try disputing the payment via your credit card company. It's always worked for me.

Thanks for the tips. How long did you wait until you disputed the purchase? Their website says it takes about 3 days for an order to be processed and packaged for delivery. Today is day 3 of the workweek.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Thanks for the tips. How long did you wait until you disputed the purchase? Their website says it takes about 3 days for an order to be processed and packaged for delivery. Today is day 3 of the workweek.
In every case where I disputed a purchase (MoviePass & another subscription that auto-signed me up, and didn't have a page for unsubscribing), I spoke with the service's support before disputing the payment. In this case, you should probably give a short allowance for a late shipment, try reaching out to their support, and if you don't get a helpful response, dispute payment.
Your credit card might also require that you attempt communication with an outlet's support before revoking payment.

... also if that email's their only support line, then if they don't have your email already, maybe try a disposable address. Yopmail is my personal go-to, especially helpful since you can easily reuse the same email.

So an update: I received a confirmation the item was shipped and from China no less. I'm assuming it's a bootleg version of the camera. Will investigate when I get it. Managed to snag a proper razer kiyo off their website when stock was replenished so I'm giddy.
cuA30ZP.png

I'm was gona go all "you're (probably) already dead scammed!" before I see they already shipped it. in any case, make sure to check how well it works and the condition of the cam once you get it.

Just go through the proper retailers, I got scammed ordering some Switch games from an online store that was actually listed on google shopping.

I've never filed a chargeback in over 10 years with my bank but when I did the claims department always takes a bias towards the merchants side even if you have proper evidence. It's bullshit really.

Fbh

Given how shady the site looks and how your items shipped from china I'm going to guess there's a 90% chance you'll get some bootleg version that looks very similar from the outside but is some cheap generic webcam on the inside

Given how shady the site looks and how your items shipped from china I'm going to guess there's a 90% chance you'll get some bootleg version that looks very similar from the outside but is some cheap generic webcam on the inside

Well, when I hook it up to my computer and check device settings. Will just refund if it is.

Top Bottom