• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Best of E3 2014 Awards

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I just went out to compare this list to top media sources... and I probably shouldn't have.

IGN's nominations are horrid, holy shit: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/12/igns-best-of-e3-2014-awards

Thank you for being GAF, GAF

Oh wow, Gamespot's is probably worse: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2014-gamespot-s-best-of-e3-2014-winners/1100-6420468/

No Splatoon, Bayonetta, Xenoblade Chronicles X, just... wat

Atrocious. The Nintendo-list over at IGN shows that they barely took a notice of Nintendo at all, which is just the sad state of gaming media these days :(

Lernaean

Banned
Like 90% of the Zelda coverage was a shot of an empty field. No indication of how the game played.

Does not deserve #1 at all.

You do realize that the 1st place is not given by any media press but from the GAF community itself, don't you? When you think it doesn't deserve it, the majority thinks it does.
Additionally the footage is confirmed to be running on WiiU, in-engine, and Aonuma even said in-game. We pretty much know how it plays and now we saw how it looks, that is enough.
Also, and i have to say it, i'm a big, dumb Miyazaki fanboy, i don't know why you think Bloodborne for example deserved it more. The gameplay shown just confirmed it plays the way we already know it would and now we know how it looks, no more no less.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
*writes a list of top 10 games based on gameplay*

*puts as #1 a game that showed no gameplay at E3*

They did show gameplay. 40 minutes of it behind closed doors and we got a few seconds of that footage officially from a Sony stream. And it looked better than anything else I can think of at E3/

Lernaean

Banned
They did show gameplay. 40 minutes of it behind closed doors and we got a few seconds of that footage officially from a Sony stream. And it looked better than anything else I can think of at E3/

Starfox was shown to press too, and we got a photo of Miyamoto playing it. Should we add it to the list?

Zelda is correct but MGSV, what happened gaf? It looks to be one of the greatest games ever made.

Bloodborne only showed a CG trailer but to be fair we have had gameplay leak and shown.

MGSV is a known thing. People are excited for it but its not going to win best of E3 which is usually won by new games.

Top 10 games that SHOWED LIVE GAMEPLAY (tech demo's disqualified too):

1. Bloodborne
2. The Witcher 3
3. Super Smash Bros.
4. Splatoon
5. Batman: Arkham Knight
6. Xenoblade Chronicles X
7. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
8. Bayonetta 2
9. Sunset Overdrive
10. Destiny

That looks much more deserving.

No mans Sky didn't have a gameplay demo?

Hmmmm now I'm getting wary about the game.

Starfox was shown to press too, and we got a photo of Miyamoto playing it. Should we add it to the list?

We have actual gameplay form Bloodborne though. Minutes of it. Here:

bloogborne-1.gif

Can you show me gameplay of Starfox?

If that trailer had not leaked then Bloodborne would not be on that list.

Hindl

Great list, gotta agree for the most part. Zelda just looked too good* and everything the director has said recently is what the fans have been dreaming of so I understand the hype. Happy to see Splatoon up there, and I'm cautious about No Man's Sky, so I didn't vote for it. If it comes out and does everything it says it's doing, I will retroactively vote it into my Top 3 of E3. I'm just worried about it. Procedural planets? Sure, that's not hard. Procedural flora and fauna? Well, ok that needs more talent and work but doable. But what's holding me back is procedural flora and fauna that's interesting and fun. That sounds massively hard, and I'm not sure if they can deliver. If they can, I will eat my hat with a side of crow. Still excited for it though.

Also, people keep talking about the live Bloodborne gameplay demo, can someone link me to it? All I can find is the leaked gameplay trailer (which looks excellent, mind), but the way people are talking about it makes me believe there's another trailer I'm not seeing, and I wanna check it out

*Not that it was the best looking game of the show, it just looked damn good.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I would like to point out that Star Fox was voted on. The reason it isn't in the top 3 is because the voters didn't deem it to be top 3.

Lernaean

Banned
We have actual gameplay form Bloodborne though. Minutes of it. Here:

bloogborne-1.gif

Can you show me gameplay of Starfox?

If that trailer had not leaked then Bloodborne would not be on that list.

Ow come on Mantis, you know my opinion about Bloodborne. What i'm doing now is not debating whether the game is awesome or godlike, but pointing the hypocrisy of taking Zelda off the list even though it was confirmed it was ingame, but keeping Bloodborne based on a leak.

If we are to judge games based on in-game visuals we either keep them all that showed in-game footage, irrelevant of it being edited for the purposes of a trailer, or we only keep uninterrupted gameplay footage.
If we pick the former then we have to include Zelda, if we don't then we have to exclude others too.

I would like to point out that Star Fox was voted on. The reason it isn't in the top 3 is because the voters didn't deem it to be top 3.

Good information but imo it shouldn't be voted.

reminder

Glad to see No Man's Sky in the Top 3. It's up there with a new Zelda game and the spiritual successor to the Souls series. I hope the game will be a huge success for Hello Games, they deserve it.

Ikaruga!

Neo Member
I sure hope all those Zelda votes won't end up badly, cause who knows what kind of game it will end up to be...

Bloodborne is the same, very high expectations, hope it can live up to them.

No Man's Sky is almost destined to fail, but I am sure rooting for it like for no other game this E3!

Ow come on Mantis, you know my opinion about Bloodborne. What i'm doing now is not debating whether the game is awesome or godlike, but pointing the hypocrisy of taking Zelda off the list even though it was confirmed it was ingame, but keeping Bloodborne based on a leak.

If we are to judge games based on in-game visuals we either keep them all that showed in-game footage, irrelevant of it being edited for the purposes of a trailer, or we only keep uninterrupted gameplay footage.
If we pick the former then we have to include Zelda, if we don't then we have to exclude others too.

Good information but imo it shouldn't be voted.

Theres no hypocrisy there.

The title was live gameplay. Zelda and No Mans Sky did not show either to us. While Bloodborne was the same, gameplay was leaked and a bit of the demo was shown.

Eusis

You do realize that the 1st place is not given by any media press but from the GAF community itself, don't you? When you think it doesn't deserve it, the majority thinks it does.
As if we can't criticize the judgement of the majority!

I would think it's worth keeping in mind that maybe a lot more people liked what they saw and put it SOMEWHERE on their list rather than going "OMG GAME OF THE SHOW!!!", but it won both the most points AND the "highest passion" which is being in the top spot, so a lot of people really did go "OMG GAME OF THE SHOW!!!" rather than just thinking it looks promising enough to justify a spot.

gngf123

I just went out to compare this list to top media sources... and I probably shouldn't have.

IGN's nominations are horrid, holy shit: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/12/igns-best-of-e3-2014-awards

Oh wow, Gamespot's is probably worse: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2014-gamespot-s-best-of-e3-2014-winners/1100-6420468/

The more I look at this the worse it gets. I just noticed neither site even mentioned the existence of Zelda. It really is like they didn't even pay attention.

SykoTech

Top 10 games that SHOWED LIVE GAMEPLAY (tech demo's disqualified too):

1. Bloodborne
2. The Witcher 3
3. Super Smash Bros.
4. Splatoon
5. Batman: Arkham Knight
6. Xenoblade Chronicles X
7. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
8. Bayonetta 2
9. Sunset Overdrive
10. Destiny

That looks much more deserving.

Yeah, that's a better list. Batman even made Top 5. Nice.

Still got robbed though.

Lernaean

Banned
Theres no hypocrisy there.

The title was live gameplay. Zelda and No Mans Sky did not show either to us. While Bloodborne was the same, gameplay was leaked and a bit of the demo was shown.

Then allow me to disagree, for a few reasons actually.
Arkham Knight didn't show live gameplay but edited gameplay with scripted events.
No mans sky did show a gameplay trailer and i have to defend it, even though i don't care about the game. No live gameplay.
Bloodborne did not show live gameplay but an edited gameplay trailer, not scripted footage from what i saw, just pieces of footage stitched together.
MGS:TPP showed an in-game trailer, had a closed doors demo from which we had info and just a little footage.
Zelda showed in-game footage, edited and scripted for the purposes of a trailer.

All those shouldn't be in that list by that logic, along with Uncharted and every other game that did not have a demo kiosk or showed live gameplay, and by live i mean live.

For your information, all the games above count imo for having shown gameplay footage and 4 out of 5 i'm getting day one. Just noting there is no bias.

AAK

The more I look at this the worse it gets. I just noticed neither site even mentioned the existence of Zelda. It really is like they didn't even pay attention.

It's not there for the same reason no Uncharted 4 or Scalebound or Crackdown are listed. There was nothing of the game shown. Zelda won number 1 announcement on both ign and gamepot.

MrBadger

....IGN's list

Biggest surprise:

Dead Rising DLC
Mass Effect 4
Conker in Project: Spark
Crackdown
GTA V on Next-Gen
Grim Fandango Remastered
LittleBigPlanet 3
Rise of the Tomb Raider Reveal
Rainbow Six Siege
Bloodborne

...no Splatoon? Not even nominated? Seriously? Wow!

I'll admit that Conker surprised me (but I'm not sure I'd call the reveal a good thing), but a lot of these are incredibly predictable sequels and updates, and some of the ones that aren't got leaked before the conference. I wonder if IGN actually watched Nintendo's showing.

Toxi

Banned
Bloodborne did not show live gameplay but an edited gameplay trailer, not scripted footage from what i saw, just pieces of footage stitched together.
Bloodborne had a demo, though most people didn't see much of it. Check the first link I posted.

Lernaean

Banned
Bloodborne had a demo, though most people didn't see much of it. Check the link I posted.

Sigh, i know it had a demo, a closed doors one that journos watched, along with other games like Metal Gear Solid, which i mentioned and indeed also Starfox.
What i'm saying is that because journos saw it and know it exists it doesn't mean we all saw it. If it wouldn't leak it would be like any game in production that we as non industry folks haven't seen.

Eusis

I was wondering how the FUCK Bloodborne wasn't there for GameSpot's, but then I saw the games had to be playable on the show floor. So that might explain Xenoblade and definitely explains Bloodborne and Zelda, though not Bayonetta or I presume Splatoon.

I do think Splatoon is something of a sleeper hit though. The people there are busy going over the show floor and writing about the games, I think it's possible Splatoon is one of those that can easily slip through the cracks for the time being but start to build momentum and stand out later on.

(Also IGN threw Bloodborne with action rather than RPG despite being clearly marked as an RPG on the Blog, but maybe there's some snobbery in the definition there. Or they missed it for the reason above, whichever.)

CrisKre

AMAZING list gaf. Yes.

I rarely get worked up about things like this, and sadly im not surprised, but those media lists are disgraceful. Really really shady and ridiculous. I guess someone was upset nintendo upstaged their shit with Treehouse Live.

AAK

Then allow me to disagree, for a few reasons actually.

Arkham Knight didn't show live gameplay but edited gameplay with scripted events.

There was a 30 minute HANDS ON demo of Batman at E3.

No mans sky did show a gameplay trailer and i have to defend it, even though i don't care about the game. No live gameplay.

Press got no hands on with the game, they only saw it, and what they saw was just a tech demo outlining the world building mechanics. No game to see there, just technology

There was a live demo being PLAYED in front of the press. It wasn't hands on though

MGS:TPP showed an in-game trailer, had a closed doors demo from which we had info and just a little footage.

The game was being played, that's what's important

Zelda showed in-game footage, edited and scripted for the purposes of a trailer.

In game footage doesn't mean it's a game, Sure we can call it just a graphical showcase or a tech demo. That's not a gameplay demo.

response in bold.

gngf123

It's not there for the same reason no Uncharted 4 or Scalebound or Crackdown are listed. There was nothing of the game shown. Zelda won number 1 announcement on both ign and gamepot.

That makes sense and makes me feel a lot better.

Sadly it doesn't make up for the rest of the games didn't make the list that actually had playable gameplay shown.

Can't believe how tilted the voting was towards consoles. Wow.

E3 is a console oriented celebration of AAA gaming, and GAF is a console centric site.

Eusis

Can't believe how tilted the voting was towards consoles. Wow.
Console games were the most highly marketed and Phil Spencer kind of highlighted that the event wasn't particularly PC friendly or relevant to the platform in this day and age. Seriously, what PC choices DO you have in mind, namely PC exclusives?

EDIT: I also found it funny how TLG got two nominations but the new Harvest Moon got NOTHING. Though this is a show where the biggest unveilings get the most attention, and the only reason that stood out past the likes of Brandish or Persona Q was because it was such an unusual situation, losing the original series but continuing to use the trademark for similar games, and bringing it out of their ass right at E3.

Lernaean

Banned
response in bold.

Except Batman which i didn't know quite frankly, if you check the sum of my post you'll notice that we are saying pretty much the same thing. I believe that what we saw was enough to judge if we got inspired by it or not, and i'm talking for the lot of it.

Btw, is there any footage of the Batman gameplay i can watch?

RooMHM

I m sorry but I think you made a mistake in the OP. You wrote "Sunset Overdrive" multiple times. You must have mixed it with another game.

AAK

Except Batman which i didn't know quite frankly, if you check the sum of my post you'll notice that we are saying pretty much the same thing. I believe that what we saw was enough to judge if we got inspired by it or not, and i'm talking for the lot of it.

Good, so you agree with the list. That settles it.

Top Bottom