• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Best of E3 2014 Awards

Eusis

I thought bloodborne was going to win anyway Nintendo should have shown more about Zelda U
I think if more were shown about Zelda it'd be a more unambiguous winner. I'd probably still put Bloodborne above it, but it'd easily be in second place rather than fourth unless I really didn't like what they had to say, with Bloodborne being ahead just because they've not only reliably satisfied me as of late, but satisfied me in the same ways I want to be satisfied with Zelda.

gngf123

Next year we needed a award for the presenter with the most interesting clothes.

My vote for this year goes to that guy who showed up in shorts.

rpufdGn.jpg

There's a few surprises in here, but overall I think this is pretty accurate. I'm surprised that Tomb Raider is so low, for example. I think it just goes to show that if you want to make a big impression, you need to actually show something.

The Lamp

That open-world Zelda.

The trailer was nice, but I hope it actually delivers.

Considering this is a pretty new approach to 3D Zelda (even though it harkens back to the original), I am truly worried about this game. I respect them for innovating with such a large IP, but there is so much room for things to go wrong because Nintendo hasn't done something like this before...at least a traditional Zelda is pretty much guaranteed to be good/decent. There is so much mystery and unknown here...I pray that they know what they are doing. These games don't come out often enough on consoles for me to stomach a bad open world Zelda attempt.

Dolor

It's a retailer event were mostly console games were shown.

PC games were mostly multiplattform titles.

Sure, I guess I just thought it was much more skewed towards Nintendo/Sony exclusives than even multi-plats so much so that it seemed like people were voting for them because they were exclusive to their platform of choice. No idea if that's true though.

E3 is a console oriented celebration of AAA gaming, and GAF is a console centric site.

Sure, but I am surprised how console-centric they both were (both E3 and gaf's voting on it) particularly given the rise of PC gaming recently.

Console games were the most highly marketed and Phil Spencer kind of highlighted that the event wasn't particularly PC friendly or relevant to the platform in this day and age. Seriously, what PC choices DO you have in mind, namely PC exclusives?

Well, Civilization got shown and was nowhere to be found in the voting. That, at a minimum, was surprising. I guess more than anything I was surprised by how high the exclusives were on the list - even over other multiplat console-focused titles like Batman or Witcher 3. I can't really explain the voting pattern other than sort of specific console supporting voting behavior. Again, I don't know that to be the case, but I am guessing there will be a lot more console sales on Gaf for Batman than for either Bloodborne or Zelda Wii U.

Guess I could be wrong...

Lernaean

Banned
Considering this is a pretty new approach to 3D Zelda (even though it harkens back to the original), I am truly worried about this game. I respect them for innovating with such a large IP, but there is so much room for things to go wrong because Nintendo hasn't done something like this before...at least a traditional Zelda is pretty much guaranteed to be good/decent. There is so much mystery and unknown here...I pray that they know what they are doing. These games don't come out often enough on consoles for me to stomach a bad open world Zelda attempt.

Judging by the visual approach they are going for and the gameplay approach of ALBW i actually don't worry one bit.

Eusis

It's basically just doing what Zelda 1, Link's Awakening, and LttP did with modern tech. That's why people ever even pushed for open world and referenced stuff like Skyrim or Dark Souls, because both are in ways closer to the older games than Zelda itself has been as of late. Though in many ways Dark Souls is more Metroid than Zelda, but the two series ARE similar.

But seriously, that's what I want out of this and a 3D Zelda in general, a world like LttP's but done with modern hardware, not just a few corridors or zones stitched together but something that's basically a nearly seamless square to explore. I guess WW was closest before this, but that was loads and loads of ocean with a few islands littered over the place.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I can't really explain the voting pattern other than sort of specific console supporting voting behavior. Again, I don't know that to be the case, but I am guessing there will be a lot more console sales on Gaf for Batman than for either Bloodborne or Zelda Wii U.

Guess I could be wrong...
While there are no doubt some people that only vote for games from one platform, that is not the norm.

Also GAF E3 hype voting or GOTY votings are not supposed to be reflective of sales. We have sales charts for that. This is about what self-identified video game enthusiasts are anticipating.

Edit: Beyond Earth is found in the voting. It's at 30 mentions and 59 points. Even the people that voted for it have a lower average than Zelda which is only found on a badly selling console. :p

J-Rzez

Oh wow, this guy especially here:

AndrewWilsonEA.png

looks like someone in a movie or tv show playing the devil in disguise.

I kinda agree with the GAF list though. Better than the other outlets, that's for sure.

backlot

No mention of Codename Steam on the list? I'm pretty sure I voted for it.

Edit: Oh, it's listed as Project S.T.E.A.M. No wonder searching didn't find it.

benny_a

No mention of Codename Steam on the list? I'm pretty sure I voted for it.

Edit: Oh, it's listed as Project S.T.E.A.M. No wonder searching didn't find it.
Fixed it. Everything was Project this and Project that so I just autocompleted it in my head. ;-)

Kiote

Wow, this is the first Top Games of E3 breakdown that has come out this year that I actually agree with for the most part.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
So I pulled some data...
Nintendo actually killed it this year. In terms of whose tracking best, buzz metrics have them higher than Sony, and well above everyone else. this in terms of consumer sentiment, twitter, Likes, that kind of stuff. Their strategy was a huge homerun in terms of 'shareable content'... I can't speak tho their media impressions from outlets and PR, but they crushed it on twitter and youtube.

Some of their individual game trailers don't stack up super well against the larger AAA, but they got people talking more than most.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
So I pulled some data...
Nintendo actually killed it this year. In terms of whose tracking best, buzz metrics have them higher than Sony, and well above everyone else. this in terms of consumer sentiment, twitter, Likes, that kind of stuff. Their strategy was a huge homerun in terms of 'shareable content'... I can't speak tho their media impressions from outlets and PR, but they crushed it on twitter and youtube.

Some of their individual game trailers don't stack up super well against the larger AAA, but they got people talking more than most.

Can you share your data please?

What do you mean specifically? Maybe make a thread comparing social media data to games media representations of Nintendo? If you have the means, I'd love to see something like this.

gngf123

So I pulled some data...

John Harker
Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
(Today, 09:26 PM)

But seriously, I believe you and would like to see this data. It could make a great thread as well.

Corto

Sunset Overdrive seems a more hectic, varied and dynamic Splatoon. They are the games that would push me to buy a Xbox One or Wii U at this moment, with advantage to Sunset Overdrive. I'll wait for the final releases to judge.

Then tell me, why should Zelda be included as a gameplay demo while, say Uncharted 4 shouldn't?

We don't see any shooting, platforming/environmental traversing or puzzle solving in Uncharted 4.

benny_a

Then tell me, why should Zelda be included as a gameplay demo while, say Uncharted 4 shouldn't?

You guy's discussion is the reason, even though people asked for it in the voting thread, that I didn't do a "gameplay shown only" category. I think GAF isn't the right outlet for that kind of stuff. Let Geoff Keighley with the E3 Judges awards decide what they think the best hands-on game at E3 was. ("What is difference between edited gameplay, simulated gameplay, scripted gameplay, etc.")

The majority here are just remote viewers. The only exception to that this year is probably people's feeling on Destiny and Battlefield Hardline because of the betas.

We don't see any shooting, platforming/environmental traversing or puzzle solving in Uncharted 4.
Lie down -> Stand up. Puzzle solved!

gngf123

Sunset Overdrive seems a more hectic, varied and dynamic Splatoon. They are the games that would push me to buy a Xbox One or Wii U at this moment, with advantage to Sunset Overdrive. I'll wait for the final releases to judge.

Except for both being colourful, I seriously see absolutely nothing in common between Splatoon and SSO. Mechanically they are completely different.

Sendou

So I pulled some data...

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I had a hunch that Nintendo was getting a lot of things right this time around.

Except for both being colourful, I seriously see absolutely nothing in common between Splatoon and SSO. Mechanically they are completely different.

They both also seem very fast paced. No time to rest. Exactly how I like it.

spideydouble

Neo Member
Here are some additional categories I've come up with which provide some context for the final polling results. They are by no means law.

Action:
Zelda WiiU
Batman: Arkham Knight
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Assassin's Creed: Unity

RPG:
Zelda WiiU
Bloodborne
The Witcher 3
Xenoblade Chronicles X

FPS:
Zelda WiiU
Far Cry 4
Rainbow Six: Siege
Halo: The Master Chief Collection

TPS:
Zelda WiiU
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Splatoon

MMO:
Zelda WiiU
No Man's Sky
Destiny
Tom Clancy's The Division

Sports:
Zelda WiiU
FIFA 15
NHL 15

Platformer:
Zelda WiiU
Ori and the Blind Forest
Yoshi's Wooly World
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

Fighting:
Zelda WiiU

Racing:
Zelda WiiU

Survival Horror:
Zelda WiiU

Fishing Sim:
Zelda WiiU

Romance Fantasy:
Zelda WiiU

Dance:
Zelda WiiU

Nintendo Exclusives:
Zelda WiiU
Super Smash Bros.
Splatoon

Sony Exclusives:
Bloodborne
The Order 1886

Microsoft Exclusives:
Sunset Overdrive
Ori and the Blind Forest

EDIT: For Lernaean, I'm making sure Zelda get's its rightful place in every category, including racing. :p

Lernaean

Banned

I never said it shouldn't, you are free to check.
Ofc it should, ND said it was in engine on a PS4 and unlike with other devs i believe them.

The joy on being a multiplatform gamer is that you can never be a system loyalist. I get the best from all worlds.

Eusis

If Sunset Overdrive was on PS4 it would have been number 1.
If Sunset Overdrive were on PS4 it'd have its entrails ripped out and thrown around by Bloodborne still. And Zelda isn't on PS4.

Though there may be SOME merit to this logic, not so much the big highly visible games but some of the smaller games can fall off the radar entirely if XB1 exclusive. But then they probably didn't stand a chance of standing out regardless. It's easy to be forgotten if you're something like Ori, doubly so if we go "oh but I need to spend an extra $400 to play it and this isn't important enough to me."

Toxi

Banned
The majority here are just remote viewers. The only exception to that this year is probably people's feeling on Destiny and Battlefield Hardline because of the betas.
Smash Bros too, though it's difficult to form any sort of impression based on the short times we had at Best Buy.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
So I pulled some data...

Nice to know you have figures to confirm what we can observe on forums. Thanks John for this head up. Nintendo managed to associate positive sentiments to the Wii U, which was mostly labelled as a failure so far. Their highest exploit at E3 was to make their system desirable, at last :)

Someone should double-check to verify as I could have missed a few.

Action:
Batman: Arkham Knight

RPG:
Bloodborne
No Man's Sky
The Witcher 3

FPS:
Destiny
Far Cry 4
Rainbow Six: Siege

TPS:
Sunset Overdrive

Sports:
FIFA 15
NHL 15

Platformer:
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Ori and the Blind Forest
Yoshi's Wooly World

Nintendo Exclusives:
Zelda WiiU
Super Smash Bros.
Splatoon

Sony Exclusives:
Bloodborne
No Man's Sky

Microsoft Exclusives:
Sunset Overdrive
Ori and the Blind Forest

Shouldn't Zelda be in Action?

Not sure that Captain Toad is a platformer, considering you can't jump.

EDIT: Where is Splatoon in TPS?

Top Bottom