• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Best of E3 2014 Awards

Batzi

Banned
Best trailer: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Director's Cut)

And according to lucky journalists who got to see the 30 mins private demonstration of the MGSV demo, the presentation was brilliant and mind blowing!

Lernaean

Banned
Best trailer: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Director's Cut)

And according to lucky journalists who got to see the 30 mins private demonstration of the MGSV demo, the presentation was brilliant and mind blowing!

Ofc it was mind blowing. It's bloody MGS :p

gngf123

Someone should double-check to verify as I could have missed a few.

Action:
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Batman: Arkham Knight
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

RPG:
Bloodborne
No Man's Sky
The Witcher 3

FPS:
Destiny
Far Cry 4
Rainbow Six: Siege

TPS:
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Sunset Overdrive

Sports:
FIFA 15
NHL 15

Platformer:
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Ori and the Blind Forest
Yoshi's Wooly World

Nintendo Exclusives:
Zelda WiiU
Super Smash Bros.
Splatoon

Sony Exclusives:
Bloodborne
No Man's Sky

Microsoft Exclusives:
Sunset Overdrive
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Ori and the Blind Forest

- Zelda should probably be in action
- We don't know if No Man's Sky is a Sony exclusive. A PC version is very possible
- Splatoon should be on the TPS list

Xenoblade X should be on these lists.

I think he just did a top 3 of GAF's list in each category. Xenoblade would have come 4th.

spideydouble

Neo Member
Yes, Zelda in it's rightful place in it's corresponding genre.

I consider Zelda as more of an adventure game with exploration and puzzle elements than strictly an action game. Though I'm sure we could find clever ways to put Zelda at the top of most categories, the point of these additional categories was to give other games that didn't make the existing list a temporary spotlight.

Man, if Splatoon got one more vote it could have been over Super Smash Bros.

Anyways, great list. I probably disagree with Zelda, Bloodborne, and Uncharted being so high considering we (At least officially) only got trailers from them even if we already know what their past experiences are like. You never know when a series or developer might drop sharply in quality gamely wise.

I'm glad No Mans Sky is getting some love. I would have had Arkham Knight be a little higher, but that's just me. Also excited to see Captain Toad actually be relatively high up, its my most hyped game of the holiday lol. I loved those minigames in 3D World.

Lernaean

Banned
I consider Zelda as more of an adventure game with exploration and puzzle elements than strictly an action game. Though I'm sure we could find clever ways to put Zelda at the top of most categories, the point of these additional categories was to give other games that didn't make the existing list a temporary spotlight.

I was thinking closer to RPG rather than action tbh.

gngf123

Zelda basically started the action-adventure genre, so it would technically fit either. Sadly, there is no adventure category so action it is.

Zelda shouldn't be in the RPG list, and from what I have seen I don't think No Man's Sky should be either.

Hmm, Toad is more of a puzzle-platformer and Zelda counts as an action-RPG to be more precise.

I know 2 of the 3 will deliver for sure.

There's no real 'RPG' in Zelda though. No leveling, no XP, no stats and figures, etc. Yes, you gain items and abilities but that happens in many other games too.

spideydouble

Neo Member
I was thinking closer to RPG rather than action tbh.

While Zelda certainly has RPG elements, I think the lack of avatar creation and gameplay as other archetypes don't make it a good fit for this category. And again, the point of having additional categories is to give some alternative games a chance under the sun.

AniHawk

So I pulled some data...
Nintendo actually killed it this year. In terms of whose tracking best, buzz metrics have them higher than Sony, and well above everyone else. this in terms of consumer sentiment, twitter, Likes, that kind of stuff. Their strategy was a huge homerun in terms of 'shareable content'... I can't speak tho their media impressions from outlets and PR, but they crushed it on twitter and youtube.

Some of their individual game trailers don't stack up super well against the larger AAA, but they got people talking more than most.

thanks for the insight. really helpful in putting this into perspective.

Kiote

Nintendo officially registers Zelda as an Action game on it's website, but I still believe that it falls in the long lost Adventure Game category.

I would argue that Uncharted doesn't deserve to be in the Action Category as it is a Third Person Shooter and technically all shooters are action games.

Nice categories =)

I am a bit surprised Witcher 3 isn't anywhere in OP. I guess it's not as big as I was hoping it'd be. But yeah, Witcher 3 was game of the show for me.

Is it a Zelda like adventure game? I didn't really look in to it.
Adventure was the first word that came to mind, but I feel like it isn't exactly an Adventure game either from what I've seen, since it seems to lack stuff like items and puzzles in favor of just discovering stuff

Lernaean

Banned
I have to insist that it is unfair that while Uncharted is in 2 categories except PS4 exclusive, Zelda is in none.
We can't have Uncharted on both action and tps and Zelda neither on action or rpg.

spideydouble

Neo Member
Bloodborne looks more like an Action-RPG.

Yes, but you can play as alt archetypes and this does directly effect gameplay variety and world immersion for your chosen role. I actually think it's closer to a dungeon crawler hack and slash, but I think it also fits under RPG very nicely.

That's exactly the impression I got from it as well.

On that note, I get why people are excited for it, but I'm personally a bit skeptical since while the concept sounds great, I feel like it could easily end up being the game that's really fun and novel for an hour or two and then everything just gets samey and boring since the universe is procedurally generated rather than hand designed. And that's also the sort of thing that would be impossible to tell from what we've seen so far since stuff like that is easy to cover up in a trailer where the creator chooses what to show

BY2K

Membero Americo
It's the first time since Twilight Princess that I've seen a Zelda game generate such hype.

A Link Between Worlds was already a step (a good one) toward those promises and if Zelda Wii U delivers on the promises by pushing them even further, then it might just rival with the best of them.

What? You can choose your ship and suit that both directly effect how you approach and progress in the game and how the game reacts to those choices. This game seems to me to be RPG at its core.
RPG as a video game genre really has very little to do with the roots of the term as referring to tabletop role playing games in this day and age

spideydouble

Neo Member
Nintendo officially registers Zelda as an Action game on it's website, but I still believe that it falls in the long lost Adventure Game category.

I would argue that Uncharted doesn't deserve to be in the Action Category as it is a Third Person Shooter and technically all shooters are action games.

Explains why the OP probably wisely kept to categories that would not be controversial. LOL. A lot of these games are cross-genre and are extremely difficult to classify. Take what you want of my additional categories. Not everyone is going to agree with them. They just provide some additional context the the final polling results.

Top Bottom