• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Best of E3 2014 Awards

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Explains why the OP probably wisely kept to categories that would not be controversial. LOL. A lot of these games are cross-genre and are extremely difficult to classify. Take what you want of my additional categories. Not everyone is going to agree with them. They just provide some additional context the the final polling results.

This is what I said when asked about other genres / categories:
I find categories weird because so many modern games are mixing stuff. Fighting and racing games are the last bastion of clearly defined boundaries so that's why I choose those.

;-)

spideydouble

Neo Member
I have to insist that it is unfair that while Uncharted is in 2 categories except PS4 exclusive, Zelda is in none.
We can't have Uncharted on both action and tps and Zelda neither on action or rpg.

You still have the OP's categories. Are we going to be ok? Mine are by no means law.

This is what I said when asked about other genres / categories:

;-)

Yeah this is very true. Most genres really exist on a spectrum nowadays and usually there are elements of more than just one genre. For instance RPG to not RPG ranges the spectrum from the extremes (THe extreme on the rpg side being the typical turn based rpg) to action rpgs to monster hunting games (Which some might even classify as a type of action rpg) to games with rpg elements that most would classify differently to a game that is clearly not an rpg

benny_a

Yeah this is very true. Most genres really exist on a spectrum nowadays and usually there are elements of more than just one genre. For instance RPG to not RPG ranges the spectrum from the extremes (THe extreme on the rpg side being the typical turn based rpg) to action rpgs to monster hunting games (Which some might even classify as a type of action rpg) to games with rpg elements that most would classify differently to a game that is clearly not an rpg
Yup. And if you get really specific about the sub-genre that two or three games share then by choosing those categories you're influencing what gets highlighted, because you alone can't come up with all the categories that hundreds of readers can.

The add-on award is already a strange category because so few people voted for it.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Wow, I didn't vote because I felt it's not fair considering I spent the majority of the time watching Treehouse. But the list makes me smile.
Same. If I had voted I could have put Splatoon over SSB. :eek:

PoisedSlushyDove.gif

GaseousBlaringBarebirdbat.gif

?oe?oe

Considering how Skyward Sword's reveal didn't spark too much hype even with gameplay. Just a little teaser of an open world and more advanced/slightly futuristic Zelda does a lot more on its promise to change the conventions. Hype is validated.

GAF TOP TEN STATS

6/10 PS4 games ( 3 PS4 exclusives if we are counting No Mans Sky)
4/10 WiiU games ( 4 WiiU exclusives)
3/10 XB1 games ( 0 exclusives)
2/10 PC games ( 0 exclusives)

It must be noted that this is just best of E3 and not most anticipated.

benny_a

Just confirmation, that was a weird glitch(is that a glitch?)
I imagine the very end of the hit animation has the weapon hitbox hit the enemy hitbox and then he dies. It looks awkward because the fidelity of the rest of the game was increased but the animation is still FROM.

GAF TOP TEN STATS

6/10 PS4 games ( 3 PS4 exclusives if we are counting No Mans Sky)
4/10 WiiU games ( 4 WiiU exclusives)
3/10 XB1 games ( 0 exclusives)
2/10 PC games ( 0 exclusives)

It must be noted that this is just best of E3 and not most anticipated.
You wound me by doing the platform breakdown!

I imagine the very end of the hit animation has the weapon hitbox hit the enemy hitbox and then he dies. It looks awkward because the fidelity of the rest of the game was increased but the animation is still FROM.

You wound me by doing the platform breakdown!

lol another interesting thing:

3/10 are RPG's, the most popular genre in the top ten it seems.

benny_a

Was bloodborne officially showing gameplay though? I know they had closed door demos, but I didn't catch any official streams of gameplay or anything
Does it matter? The people that were interested in the game got to see gameplay.

The awards are all about the enthusiast perspective. Splatoon won over Bloodborne as biggest surprise even though Bloodborne's first ever announcement was on stage at the Sony press conference.

Bloodborne was robbed!

We didn't even see Zelda gameplay. -_-

Bloodborne unfortunately had a lack of official gameplay. At least we got leaks of an old build :)

But that was gameplay.

Sure its gameplay like how racing game trailers show gameplay but what I suspect most people expect from gameplay vids is how the game will look when I have a controller in my hand playing as the character.

Neiteio

I don't get it. How can games like Zelda, Uncharted 4 and Xenoblade Chronicles X get into top 10? They only had trailers at the show and those didn't even show any gameplay from what I know.
What they showed of Zelda was entirely in-game. This has been confirmed multiple times.

Crom

I don't get it. How can games like Zelda, Uncharted 4 and Xenoblade Chronicles X get into top 10? They only had trailers at the show and those didn't even show any gameplay from what I know.

A lot of Xenoblade gameplay was shown actually.

The little shown of Zelda was supposedly ingame

An established franchise that has delivered over and over beat No Man's Sky (a game that people don't even know what it is)

Why is that surprising?

Not just established franchise, easily top 3 most acclaimed series in existence. It is not surprising.

Crom

Why does it matter that Bloodborne didn't show official gameplay?

I was responding to someone that said Zelda shouldn't have won because of this implying that a different game should have won.

Someone else replied to me and mentioned that the poster meant Bloodborne and Uncharted 4. I just pointed out that they didn’t show in official gameplay either.

Why would Bloodborne or Uncharted deserve to win if Zelda didn't deserve to? That was my point

benny_a

I was responding to someone that said Zelda shouldn't have won because of this.

Someone else replied mentioning Bloodborne and Uncharted 4. I just pointed out that they didn’t show in official gameplay either.
To be fair, Bloodborne and not No Man's Sky (for which we have I think 7 minutes of gameplay in total) came in second.

Both have more gameplay shown than Zelda.

Bloodborne was robbed!

We didn't even see Zelda gameplay. -_-

How was Bloodborne robbed? People have opinions, and some of us (me) don't like Souls type games. I literally could not care any less about Bloodborne. The voting reflects what people enjoy and look forward to.

Vire

To be fair, Bloodborne and not No Man's Sky (for which we have I think 7 minutes of gameplay in total) came in second.

Both have more gameplay shown than Zelda.

Wait we have 7 minutes of gameplay for No Man's Sky?! Link please.

Top Bottom