• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Best of E3 2015 Awards

Darksol

Damn solid list. Plus, no Call of Yearly Franchise, or Halo to be found.

I would have liked to see South Park and Nier 2 make the top 10, but oh well :)

Horizon & Uncharted 4 takeover!
76103-Youre-Goddamn-Right-gif-Imgur-oEyA.gif

KingK

Thanks for another great thread Benny! Glad to see Horizon up there! Well deserved.

I'll be honest, I'm actually a bit surprised to see Uncharted that high, but I guess that demo was just a really great showing of the game. I know it certainly wowed me!

To be honest, going into E3 I didn't anticipate Uncharted 4 to rank very highly for me personally but that demo just blew me away. I've always loved Uncharted, but was slightly disappointed they weren't making another new IP. The demo changed my mind into being glad they are making one more Uncharted game. I ended up ranking it as 2nd on my list (behind Horizon)

Antioch

I've seen the Horizon demo a couple of times now and I still don't get what's supposed to make it so special, aside from the graphics, which are great. I feel like I'm missing out on something. I would like to be as excited about the game as most of GAF seems to be.

javac

What blows my mind is that a FF7 remake wasn't the biggest surprise this E3.

I mean, I kind of saw FF7 coming from a mile away, but Nier? If anybody told me that it would get a sequel, I'd laugh, hard, but the notion of a FF7 Remake was very obvious, its SE's trump card and always will be.

Best game is best game.

We had giant threads about Last Guardian (Cerny rumour), Shemue (Yu tweeting about E3)and FF7( Siliconera reporting) leaks before the confrence went up. So most people were anticipating them to appear in some fashion.
No one leaked Nier.

If you look at the stats, No Man's Sky definitely lost its luster.

(Total mentions / Total points / #1 votes only)
This year: No Man's Sky (371 / 609 / 2)
Last year: No Man's Sky (721 / 1785 / 113)

While there was a higher participation last year 1269 vs. 1090 it's still quite a downwards trend.

But I just think that is the second year E3 effect. The Division had the same.

I kind of see this E3 as one with more big hitters in the mix to compete with but well that's entirely subjective and the numbers do indeed show a lesser performance than last year. Then again it is the second year.

Hmm

If I cared I would try to compare other games year on year showing but well that sounds like work. :)

Thanks for taking the time to look up last years NMS's showing though. Appreciate that.

In theory it is but it wasn't so much and when I found the second backwards compatibility person then I thought now I also have to add PS Vue.
Drawing lines about excitement is difficult. :p

No worries. I understand. Just was curious is all. Thanks for all the hard work again!

To be honest, going into E3 I didn't anticipate Uncharted 4 to rank very highly for me personally but that demo just blew me away. I've always loved Uncharted, but was slightly disappointed they weren't making another new IP. The demo changed my mind into being glad they are making one more Uncharted game. I ended up ranking it as 2nd on my list (behind Horizon)
I ended up having to stick it at #3 behind TLG, but yeah that's certainly WAY higher than I thought I'd rank it before E3. Even after the PSX demo, I was pretty meh on the game. But you're right, the E3 demo was just something that blew me away. It was just such a well done showcase of the game.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Yeah I would've voted for XB1 BC if it wasn't?
In theory it is. Maybe next year it can be generalized and it can be anything that is related to E3

This time the 4 points are immaterial, but I can remove them if necessary.

Metroid Prime Federation Force is not listed. Was there a hard cutoff of 150 games?
Nope. I made a mistake. I'll update it right away.

wmlk

Nier is my favourite announcement out of the entire show. It's fully deserving and came out of left field.

FFVII remake would have been announced no matter what. It was just a matter of when.

Fitts

Wow. GAF sure does love Horizon. I thought it looked cool and I'm definitely interested in seeing more, (without the inner monologue chatter, please) but it was nowhere near the top for me.

After watching hours of matches, Street Fighter V wins by a mile for me. We already knew going in that the game was beautiful, but now we have confirmation that it's moving away from IV in all the right ways and I couldn't be more excited.

UberTag

I mean, I kind of saw FF7 coming from a mile away, but Nier? If anybody told me that it would get a sequel, I'd laugh, hard, but the notion of a FF7 Remake was very obvious, its SE's trump card and always will be.
Not only did a NieR sequel come out of nowhere but the fact that it got announced at E3 of all places is an even bigger surprise. Clearly deserves that honor.

SeanTSC

Glad to see Horizon dominate, well deserved. Everything about that game just looks and sounds amazing. Killzone Shadowfall was my first GG game and I liked it well enough, but I'm still totally blown away that they can make the jump from that series to this new IP. Hopefully the whole world falls in love with this game as much as Gaf has.

Game4life

Banned
I cant fking believe I am seeing TLG again in a most anticipated games list. Feels so good to have Ueda back. Bring on 2016!

SSReborn

I thought FFVII would be higher on the list... I also do not get the hype for NMS. I will likely buy it day 1, but I don't see why it's in the best of categories. Anyways to each their own.

I think some people it off as it was just looked like a cg teaser and not like a game showing or anything I know I personally did. But it was exciting nonetheless.

Game4life

Banned
Wow. Gaf sure does love Horizon. I thought it looked like it cool and I'm definitely interested in seeing more, (without the inner monologue chatter, please) but it was nowhere near the top for me.

After watching hours of matches, Street Fighter V wins by a mile for me. We already knew going in that the game was beautiful, but now we have confirmation that it's moving away from IV in all the right ways and I couldn't be more excited.

Well the RPG genre has always had a bigger pull than the fighting genre so its not surprising SF V is a bit lower.

So happy GG has such a great showing, not only did it have an amazing demo but all of the info after about not tutorializing the game, persistent damage etc. make this sound like a dream game.

Well deserved for all involved, this was a fantastic E3 overall!

The results match my personal list pretty closely, and man, that #1 spot for Horizon makes me really happy for GG, and really excited to hear more about the game.

KingK

I've seen the Horizon demo a couple of times now and I still don't get what's supposed to make it so special, aside from the graphics, which are great. I feel like I'm missing out on something. I would like to be as excited about the game as most of GAF seems to be.

You do know it's an open world RPG and not a linear hack and slash, right? The combat looks incredible in it's own right even compared to straight up action games (let alone other RPGs), with what look like very smooth controls, varied and interesting enemies, and the promise of a variety of strategies to come up with for each kind (that Thunderjaw thing has some 15 attacks and 90 something individual pieces that can be knocked off, I think is what I read). Add in that you can apparently explore pretty much everywhere you see, resource gathering and crafting for weapons and armor, leveling up and developing skill trees/perks, and a stunning aesthetic. I don't get how you could not be excited :p

But opinions and all that. No game can appeal to everybody, so there's no need to feel bad or feel like you're "wrong" for not being excited by it.

Congratulations Guerrilla Games, finally they get to make a game that seems to be a better fit for the user base than a FPS.

This.

And Uncharted games still hit me with pure joy.
Also, I totally agree Nier 2 and FFVII Remake were my two biggest surprises, either makes for a great winner so Nier 2 is a great choice since it came out of absolutely nowhere, plus Platinum being involved I don't think we could have seen coming.
Super glad to see TLG so high after we all waited for it's return for so long, feels good.

We had giant threads about Last Guardian (Cerny rumour), Shemue (Yu tweeting about E3)and FF7( Siliconera reporting) leaks before the confrence went up. So most people were anticipating them to appear in some fashion.
No one leaked Nier.

Not really though. Sure people were hopeful but generally still partially wrote them off as the usual Pre-Sony E3 conference rumors tradition (outside of Shenmue which I think most didn't see coming at all).

List also shows the difference in having a good demo and a bad demo at a press conference. Halo 5, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Gears of War 4 didn't have great demos at Microsoft's press conference while Horizon: Zero Dawn and Uncharted 4 did at Sony's.

IcyEyes

Is it already up !? Nice work benny!

Sony had a really powerful E3 this year and Horizon deserve the first place, but I really hope can live up to the expectation.
I'm really sure this is one of the best E3 ever (imo of course) and almost every publishers did a good job.

Can't wait to play all these game :D

Game4life

Banned
This.

And Uncharted games still hit me with pure joy.
Also, I totally agree Nier 2 and FFVII Remake were my two biggest surprises, either makes for a great winner so Nier 2 is a great choice since it came out of absolutely nowhere, plus Platinum being involved I don't think we could have seen coming.
Super glad to see TLG so high after we all waited for it's return for so long, feels good.

Not really though. Almost everyone in those threads were hopefully but still partially wrote them off as the usual Pre-Sony E3 conference rumors tradition

Now if only the sequel to the wonderful game in your avatar was announced - This E3 would have achieved perfection. TGS cannot come soon enough.

Enosh

never played a FF game, a team Ico game or Shenmue so my reaction to their reveal and their love is still just
wJSnDLE.jpg

but whatever, I guess I can understand why some people would love it (even through neither FF or Shenmue showed any kind of gameplay and Last guardian looked really underwhelming, but like said personal opinion yada yada)

but I'm happy Uncharted and Horizon took the first two spots, I had them flipped on my list but honestly I just tossed a coin for it since I couldn't decide ^^

Wait where you counting the ballots as posts were added. I started writing mine three days ago but kept editing until tonight because I thought it would ge counted like the end of year awards.

Oh well. No big deal.

Top Bottom