• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Best of E3 2015 Awards

Horizon look so awesome so I am glad to see so many others who are also impressed. Uncharted also looked fantastic and again, many of us felt the same. I wonder if Tomb Raider's gameplay was shown at Microsoft's presser would it score higher? Overall damn good E3.

I see I'm not the only one who thought Halo looked boring, but at least it looked better than Gears.

Skux

A fantastic selection.

In a year with TLG, FF7 and Shenmue, amazing how a new IP pips them all. Horizon was a stunner.

CLEEK

The decline in Halo is real. Whether its due to franchise fatigue, MCC, or just the huge array of awesome games shown this E3 that its competing against.

A few days ago, I searched on Youtube for "E3 2015" to see if there were any trailers or game reveals I'd missed. The view count for the trailers is a good barometer for popularity. Fallout 4 killed all comers, having 14m views. FFVII has a solid show with nearly 8m. Horizon and UC4 a few million each. All of the Halo 5 videos were in the low 6 figure range.

The decline in Halo is real. Whether its due to franchise fatigue, MCC, or just the huge array of awesome games shown this E3 that its competing against.
I think there's a few factors:
  • Franchise fatigue
  • Bad rep from MCC and Halo 4 (at least among some)
  • Other great games shown at other conferences.
  • And most importantly: it was a lackluster demo. You could, in my mind, overcome the first two points, but that would require a standout demo. Halo 5 didn't have that (at least for me). It was a decent demo, but it didn't wow like a game of Halo's caliber should.
Code:
EarthBound
wut
EarthBound Beginnings I assume.

Vyrance

Thanks for doing the list Benny. Really a fantastic job on it!

Not surprised to see Horizon crush the competition. Scrolling through the first few pages and votes and probably every other person was voting Horizon #1.

Excellent top 10 overall though

CLEEK

I think there's a few factors:
  • Franchise fatigue
  • Bad rep from MCC and Halo 4 (at least among some)
  • Other great games shown at other conferences.
  • And most importantly: it was a lackluster demo. You could, in my mind, overcome the first two points, but that would require a standout demo. Halo 5 didn't have that (at least for me). It was a decent demo, but it didn't wow like a game of Halo's caliber should.

EarthBound Beginnings I assume.

I thought Arena and Warzone looked awesome, but single player was poor. And ive always predominatly loved Halo for the single player. It had little resemblance to classic Halo. With all the stuff 343 has added, its forgetten what made Halo so great to begin with.

Lingitiz

I thought Arena and Warzone looked awesome, but single player was poor. And ive always predominatly loved Halo for the single player. It had little resemblance to classic Halo. With all the stuff 343 has added, its forgetten what made Halo so great to begin with.

Yeah the single player demo was really lame and didn't at all follow up on the hype people brought in from the commercials and the Hunt the Truth audio story. Very disappointing.

Warzone looked awesome but yeah it's hard to impress the home audience strictly with multiplayer stuff.

Estival Versus was robbed.
image.php

Horizon pls.
Yup, same for me. I've played multiplayer for sure, but actually I generally enjoyed the campaign more. Especially playing the campaign in co-op. Knowing that co-op won't be in the game, the game really needed to wow me in singe player...and it didn't.

Oh and the revelation of microtransactions probably didn't help either.

Game4life

Banned
GAF gonna GAF I suppose. The hype for TLG is out of this world and there's no way the game can live up to it.

Ueda is one of the greatest developers in the world. Even if he does not fully deliver the game is bound to be one of the most interesting things ever made in the AAA retail space. I cant see him not doing something unique and special with this game.

SFV not even top ten? Injustica!
Glad to see 2 new Ip in the top 3.
It only getting a few minute showing in the Sony presser didn't help it. I was so busy following the other news that I never had time to seek out the other showings or showings from the floor later in the week. But I heard really, really great things from people who played it. It's a shame we didn't get to see more.
Shadow Fall was the only thing holding my Horizon hype back, so this is great news.
I think what reassured me is that they made hires of Fallout and Witcher devs. That to me signaled that they know their weaknesses in writing from Shadow Fall, so they are seeking to resolve that.

nib95

Banned
Mirrors my own list pretty well.

nib95 said:
1. Horizon: Zero Dawn
2. Uncharted 4
3. Final Fantasy VII (no gameplay, but it's my all time fave game. I sort of know what to expect.)
4. The Last Guardian
5. Star Wars: Battlefront
6. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom pain
7. Kingdom Hearts 3
8. For Honor
9. Rise of the Tomb Raider
10. Ratchet and Clank

In any case, what an absolutely incredible show this year. I was struggling to come up with a top ten, and could have very easily done a top 20 or even 30.

Well deserved for Horizon. When you come out on top in a goliath year like this, you know you've presented something truly special, that has resonated with gamers in a big way.

Ueda is one of the greatest developers in the world. Even if he does not fully deliver the game is bound to be one of the most interesting things ever made in the AAA retail space. I cant see him not doing something unique and special with this game.
Fair enough. I simply think there is an awful lot of praise being heaped on this game after it's been in development hell for 6 years. I hope it's good, but it's dangerous to put so much of yourself into something that's such a huge unknown. Guess we'll see how it shapes up next year.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
In any case, what an absolutely incredible show this year. I was struggling to come up with a top ten, and could have very easily done a top 20 or even 30.
Yeah. I had to make hard cuts as well. Very difficult, as are the anticipation lists every year as well.

Kingdom Hearts didnt make top 10 with that amazing new trailer??
ヽ༼ ಠ益ಠ ༽ノ
An hour earlier end to the voting and it would have been!

Horizon deserved it.
i wasnt feeling uncharted 4 really but the new demo made me feel much better
future seems bright. Lets hope all these games deliver.

ヽ༼ ಠ益ಠ ༽ノ

Not the guy you replied to but open world RPGs seem to be a dime a dozen these days (Witcher, Fallout, Dragon Age) and while I can see how the combat stuff is exciting it doesn't seem that big of a draw to me to warrant the hype. That other stuff is also stuff that's like in every open world game these days. Maybe I'm just too jaded but there doesn't seem to be that much to get excited over?

It's new, it's beautiful.
This means it has a lot of potential to be a good game, and based on everything that has been talked about, it really sounds like GG is doing this right.

The main character is a woman, which isn't done that often, that's room for exciting new development.

The story is mysterious, and manages to contain "pre-"historic and "post-"futuristic qualities, that really brings a lot of appeal.
(I know post futuristic is a silly concept, but I said it.)
Yes, there are lots of open world RPGs. But how many have mysterious gigantic machine dinosaurs?
How many games, period have gigantic machine dinosaurs?

The gameplay looks varied and interesting, and rather crazy.

The visuals look stunning, and there's a lot going on.

I haven't been this excited for a game since The Last of Us.

Vire

First off, thank you very much to benny_a for compiling the results and making the awards this year. I know it's a lot of work.

Congrats to Horizon! Definitely was the most impressive gameplay demo and it deserves it in my mind. Also, holy shit at Halo 5 being so low... I knew the campaign demo failed to impress, but jesus.

I didn't think Halo 5 showed poorly at the conference.

What's to account for 29th place? A lot of the design decisions are on point... it looks good. Was it warzone?

Horizon deserved it.
i wasnt feeling uncharted 4 really but the new demo made me feel much better
future seems bright. Lets hope all these games deliver.

ヽ༼ ಠ益ಠ ༽ノ

The KH3 trailer was fantastic, it's just been a huge E3.

pixelation

What i find oddly amusing is the fact that many posters here (myself included) expected Sony's presser to be a letdown and MS to impress (even more so when you take into account MS's PR department hints/statements) and it turned out to be the complete opposite... funny how things work!!!

benny_a

What i find oddly amusing is the fact that many posters here (myself included) expected Sony's presser to be a letdown and MS to impress (even more so when you take into account MS's PR department hints/statements) and it turned out to be the complete opposite... funny how things work!!!
Microsoft did impress. I think mostly everyone impressed.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Well deserved. Horizon came outta fucking nowhere it seemed. Especially following up after TLG which is no easy feat. But GG absolutely delivered and it shows that this has been cooking in the oven for quite some time. I cannot freaking wait to get my hands on it.

So many amazing games this E3, hats off to all the talented devs that delivered!

B.O.O.M

Man Horizon just ran away with it! Well deserved..I wasn't sure picking between that and the UC4 demo which was also fantastic.

This was a really great E3.

Phediuk

Imagine if, two weeks ago, you'd said that while The Last Guardian, FF7 remake, and Shenmue 3 would all be unveiled at Sony's press conference, they still wouldn't get nearly as many votes in GAF's E3 awards as the new game from the Killzone guys.

just imagine.

Phediuk

Microsoft had a solid lineup, it's just that Sony had megatons.

Fair enough. I simply think there is an awful lot of praise being heaped on this game after it's been in development hell for 6 years. I hope it's good, but it's dangerous to put so much of yourself into something that's such a huge unknown. Guess we'll see how it shapes up next year.

Putting so much of yourself into something? It's just hype man. Don't think anyone is naming their kid Trico or anything.

Game looks phenomenal though. And being made by a brilliant designer and the game
hasn't changed so his original vision is still intact. I can see where he is going with the game and it will be exciting to see if he pulls it off.

benny_a

Imagine if, two weeks ago, you'd said that while The Last Guardian, FF7 remake, and Shenmue 3 would all be unveiled at Sony's press conference, they still wouldn't get nearly as many votes in GAF's E3 awards as the new game from the Killzone guys.

just imagine.

Looking back at the E3 prediction thread and talking about GG's upcoming game:
Good thing is that Guerilla Games has absolutely incredible environmental artists. Add to that the technical chops and this title presumably being third person with Euphoria and it's a welcome change from Killzone's FPS.

Looks like based on the reception others feel the same with this welcome change.

(Also I still hope Euphoria is still in, couldn't tell from the footage.)

Fitts

It only getting a few minute showing in the Sony presser didn't help it. I was so busy following the other news that I never had time to seek out the other showings or showings from the floor later in the week. But I heard really, really great things from people who played it. It's a shame we didn't get to see more.

I know Sony had a packed conference, but I was really surprised that they didn't give SFV more time. Instead of showing a trailer it would've been awesome if they grabbed a few FGC dudes from the mini tourney to play a match with Birdie and Cammy on stage. I think the crowd would've really gotten into it.

Top Bottom