• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Best of E3 2015 Awards

Well deserved for Horizon.

Hopefully GG takes the enthusiasm from the fans @ E3 and it motivates them to make an even better game and deliver on their promise.

legacyzero

Banned
Good E3 folks. And great list. I'm perfectly OK with No Man's Sky being at number 8 after such a strange presence this year.

Why Sony arguably had the greatest press conference ever. Probably should have worded it differently.
Ahh yes I agree. I stayed away from gaf and saw TLG rumor floating but didn't believe it. Pretty much everything was a surprise for me, though I expected to see something relating to Horizon and the U4 trailer which now I regret that I saw.

Broank

Thank fucking God Guerilla is finally doing a new thing and not lame Killzone. Horizon looks magnificent.

Forgot to vote but would probably have gone with MGSV myself. Way too hyped for that game.

CGwizz

gaf spot on as always, love that list.

Horizon the best ofcourse and final fantasy remake made me so happy.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Imagine if, two weeks ago, you'd said that while The Last Guardian, FF7 remake, and Shenmue 3 would all be unveiled at Sony's press conference, they still wouldn't get nearly as many votes in GAF's E3 awards as the new game from the Killzone guys.

just imagine.

I don't think it's really that shocking, people tend to love new IP's and Horizon was a very anticipated reveal in it's own right. The robo-dinosaur concept art had everyone stoked for the game's potential.

Besides that, if you told everyone Horizon would be revealed with gameplay and Shenmue and FF7 would be CG trailers, it suddenly becomes a lot more believable.

nib95

Banned
What i find oddly amusing is the fact that many posters here (myself included) expected Sony's presser to be a letdown and MS to impress (even more so when you take into account MS's PR department hints/statements) and it turned out to be the complete opposite... funny how things work!!!

I think Microsoft had an excellent show, it's just Sony excelled well beyond most expectations. My only criticism of Microsoft would be that they failed to capitalise on the prominence of some of the games they showed off, by promoting them with fairly weak gameplay demo's. They somehow managed to make interesting franchises like Halo, Gears and Tomb Raider, all look less exciting than they ought to have been.

Fair enough, maybe i exaggerated... still most people expected MS to "win" E3 and nobody expected for Sony to blow us away like it did.

I, personally, and I saw people allude to this on here as well, thought Microsoft was going to bring some megaton announcements in addition to their stable of games we all expected (Gears, Halo, Forza, etc).

When they made the announcement that 3 of their most hyped games, Scalebound, Crackdown and QB were not going to be shown at E3, it just looked like they were making room for some big news. I assumed a 3rd Party Moneyhat or 2.

Most of the hype around Sony's conference was in games we never really thought would happen. They were pipe dreams, and 3 of them came true. Then you add that all of this happened nearly 10 hours after MS conference, when everyone could dissect it and everything, it just really set up well for Sony. When those 3 megatons were dropped, that became the news and overshadowed a lot of earlier news and announcements earlier in the day.

I think Microsoft had an excellent show, it's just Sony excelled well beyond most expectations. My only criticism of Microsoft would be that they failed to capitalise on the prominence of some of the games they showed off, by promoting them with fairly weak gameplay demo's. They somehow managed to make interesting franchises like Halo, Gears and Tomb Raider, all look less exciting than they ought to have been.

The demos weren't the greatest, for sure. I thought Halo looked great and what I expected it to be. Tomb Raider demo looked very similar to the last game, but the play throughs released later instilled more confidence in that game. The Gears demo looked pretty fun to me, but was so damn dark I had no idea what was going on.

GnawtyDog

Banned
#1 and #2 were kind of expected at this point. Cuphead - really nice to see getting votes... the game since the unveil had me hooked.

Exactly, that was their biggest failing.

Somehow Halo 5, Gears of War, and Tomb Raider all looked tired and boring. Like we've seen these presentations a million times before, if not better years ago.

Hopefully that's not going to be a reflection of their true quality upon release.

Yea. Same with Forza. And The way they showed off Halo it was so ho-hum and so brief. I don't recall a shorter Halo reveal E3. This was the game they'd corner a portion of their conference to. Now it was just another game

Great list. And an amazing E3. It recharged my interest in games and the future of gaming. And funny enough this was the E3 I was least excited about. I felt we'd not see any new announcements. Just a tad wrong there.

Imagine if, two weeks ago, you'd said that while The Last Guardian, FF7 remake, and Shenmue 3 would all be unveiled at Sony's press conference, they still wouldn't get nearly as many votes in GAF's E3 awards as the new game from the Killzone guys.

just imagine.

Of those, only The Last Guardian is a game. The other two are CG trailers. I understand the excitement for them but there's no way anybody should be voting those "Game Of the Show". I think Horizon won not just because of what it is but also how it was shown. For a new IP its always important to not just show what the game's about but also how it plays. Guerrilla pulled off one of the all time great E3 reveals in my opinion because of how seamlessly they showed actual gameplay within the more traditional new IP reveal trailer. They've set a bar that other studios really need to look at.

I agree with this. The gameplay Microsoft showed for those three games felt underwhelming. I wasn't as hooked as I was when I saw the gameplay Sony showed, especially Horizon's.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

I'm still shook about how underwhelming Gears 4 looked. To think a brand new Gears would be revealed and rank at #40 on a Best of E3 list is just insane.
wow.png

It's new, it's beautiful.
This means it has a lot of potential to be a good game, and based on everything that has been talked about, it really sounds like GG is doing this right.

The main character is a woman, which isn't done that often, that's room for exciting new development.

The story is mysterious, and manages to contain "pre-"historic and "post-"futuristic qualities, that really brings a lot of appeal.
(I know post futuristic is a silly concept, but I said it.)
Yes, there are lots of open world RPGs. But how many have mysterious gigantic machine dinosaurs?
How many games, period have gigantic machine dinosaurs?

The gameplay looks varied and interesting, and rather crazy.

The visuals look stunning, and there's a lot going on.

I haven't been this excited for a game since The Last of Us.

There's also some serious pedigree behind the game, hiring the Fallout: New Vegas lead writer and a number of Witcher 3 hires, including the designer who designed some of the best quests in that game. It's very exciting stuff.

Fair enough, maybe i exaggerated... still most people expected MS to "win" E3 and nobody expected for Sony to blow us away like it did.

A lot of people expected Sony to have a DRM in 2013 too, even though it was pretty ridiculous if you actually thought about it.

Anyway, I should be surprised that Halo 5 and Gears 4 are so far down the list but after those demos, I'm not. Halo 5 was a pretty poor gameplay demo for a conference and after that, it really seemed like an afterthought at E3. And a similar thing was true of Gears 4, with a boring and super dark sequence that didn't even feature any cover shooting, and lacking the impressive graphics you'd expect from a Gears game. Not a good showing at all for what are Microsoft's two biggest franchises, especially one that was just announced and should've been a big deal.

great e3, really surprised at horizon, the only thing keeping me on check was guerrilla's past work with killzone, that while i kind of liked 2, i didn't like 3. But can't wait to see how this game ends up, looks great. Really pleased to see starfox in the top 25 and mario maker in the top 10, loved these games. Uncharted, the last guardian and mgs v also blew me away. Funny to think that mgs V is its third e3 and it is still in the top 10, while the division, which is also its third e3, ranks at #38.

I know Sony had a packed conference, but I was really surprised that they didn't give SFV more time. Instead of showing a trailer it would've been awesome if they grabbed a few FGC dudes from the mini tourney to play a match with Birdie and Cammy on stage. I think the crowd would've really gotten into it.
Oh man, a few rounds with some actual FGC people? That woulda rocked ;___;

RexNovis

Banned
WOW at the gap between Horizon and Uncharted 4! Well deserved. The game looks absolutely phenomenal. Cannot wait to get my hands on it.

Also ouch at Halo 5 guardians ranking at 29th. That's way lower than even I was expecting. Curious to see what the sales are this time around and whether or not we will see a sizable dropoff from Halo 4.

darkwing

just imagine.

every dream has come true

Yeah, MS had a really good conference, it's just that Sony had an insanely amazing one. It's kinda analogous to the sales of both consoles. The XBOne is selling really well, but the PS4 is selling insanely well and above expectations.

wmlk

I know Sony had a packed conference, but I was really surprised that they didn't give SFV more time. Instead of showing a trailer it would've been awesome if they grabbed a few FGC dudes from the mini tourney to play a match with Birdie and Cammy on stage. I think the crowd would've really gotten into it.

I feel the same way.

SFV is an event and SF itself is iconic, not just in the video game industry. I would have loved to see more focus on SFV just for the good vibes it would bring.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
I agree with Horizon being number one it looked amazing and it's open world too which is even better. But I don't get is UC4 at number 2 it didn't look good it looks like UC 3.5 with more destructible environments that's it. Should of made Last of us 2 instead.

KyleP29

Goes to show how Sony absolutely killed it this e3. Top 3 games were sony exclusives and everything aside from fall out 4 and mario maker have a partnership with sony.

UrbanRats

I didn't put it in my top spot, but still deserving of the title.
---
Now, who are the other 5 good folks that put Just Cause 3 at number 1? They need a fist bump!

NiftyFlakyIndianpalmsquirrel.gif

UrbanRats

Fair enough. I simply think there is an awful lot of praise being heaped on this game after it's been in development hell for 6 years. I hope it's good, but it's dangerous to put so much of yourself into something that's such a huge unknown. Guess we'll see how it shapes up next year.

If you played Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, TLG isn't that much of an unknown, infact, it looks quite familiar.

You go room to room in a big dungeon (like Ico) solving puzzles involving the big creature that is co-dependant (like Yorda) and that you can climb on (like the Colossi).
And the game will likely be 6 to 10 hours on the first playthrough (like Ico and SotC).

HORRORSHØW

ff7:remake is too big for it to be exclusive. there's no way SE is going to limit its sales to one platform. besides, ff is associated with the sony brand now; it's going to sell more on the ps4--there's no reason for sony to try and lock up exclusivity knowing it's going to move negligible xbos.

sony fans get to play it first anyway. who gives a shit if it comes to other platforms later?

Game4life

Banned
Grimløck;169365650 said:
ff7:remake is too big for it to be exclusive. there's no way SE is going to limit its sales to one platform. besides, ff is associated with the sony brand now; it's going to sell more on the ps4--there's no reason for sony to try and lock up exclusivity knowing it's going to move negligible xbos.

sony fans get to play it first anyway. who gives a shit if it comes to other platforms later?

No one does. I think Kagari is hinting that the remake will not come on xbox one this generation. It is coming to PS4 first and then much later on the PC. Atleast that is what I got from her posts.

Top Bottom