• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Best of E3 2015 Awards

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I felt the same way about uncharted. But ND outdid themselves again and wowed me. Horizon deserves the top spot. Pretty game with all the right ingredients to be a good game and franchise.
I'm just glad that GG is making a game in a genre that I really enjoy. (Action RPG)

They have amazing tech and their artists are so good but for me they were stuck in a FPS game, which is something I'm not as hot on any more as I was 6 years ago.

But now they make a third person game with a bow user and apparently trying to capture the hunting aspect with preparation that you get in The Witcher 3 or Monster Hunter series.

I'm actually quite surprised Horizon won. GG aren't the most popular developers on GAF and though I thought the demo was really good, it didn't leave me wanting more like Uncharted or Battlefront. I really hope the game does well though.

BasilZero

Great OP and have to say #1 is a great choice - surprised me too.

Although biggest surprise of E3 for me personally was FF7 especially after all these years of rumors lol.

I think Cuphead will lose a lot of it's appeal once people realize it's just a boss rush game.

It looks better than any game i've ever seen, but if that really is all there is then i'm not really looking forward to play it. I think a lot of people still think it's a full sidescrolling platformer.

Yea, I love the look but once I saw it was a on foot bullet hell game I lost a lot of interest in playing it. If it is indeed a boss rush on top of that then I am even less so. I would love to see them continue with that art though, because it looks amazing.

Didn't get to vote but good list.

TLG #1 for me.

The Division is my #2
jk
CxEAlkm.jpg

UberLevi

Can't really argue with that list too much. This year had a great selection of games. Sad to see neither Cuphead or Unravel took a spot in the Top 10, but given all the powerhouse titles they showed off it was kind of a given.

Particularly happy about Horizon being on top. Game looks great, and is making me legitimately consider buying a PS4.

Ravage

You know it's a special game when it tops the hype list in the same event where FFVIIR, TLG and Shenmue3 got announced. I'm really happy for GG :)

KZObsessed

Well deserved winner. Definitely the most impressive showing at E3. 9 out of 10 games on PS4, top 3 are PS4 exclusives. Good show.

EGOMON

Am really happy for GG, I am a big fan of their games it makes me feel really good they are finally getting this universal recognition

So, I am one of 5 people on neogaf that put Dreams as my most hyped game? Huh. It's a Mm game, I thought there would be more of us. :(

Edit: Good god! People are more excited for a Destiny expansion and Cuphead than Dreams? This is madness and you shall all regret it. This is absolute madness.
I am here, I just need to see more from Dreams. I see the idea, but I need to see a 10 minute gameplay video, which I hope we get in Paris in a few months. This is something they need to work on. Messaging and how to sell people this idea. I don't want this to flop financially, so I hoping for a great demo later this year.

I hope they show the single player campaign and there is a memorable MC like Sackboy.

panda-zebra

Good to see Firewatch fairly high up and World of Final Fantasy not as low as I expected.

And Horizon by some distance - good taste, GAF.

Thanks to benny_a for making this happen, great effort.

FrunkQ

Neo Member
Phht, typical Sony bias from GAF!!

He-he, just kidding. I failed to vote this year, but I can't disagree with that list... Horizon deserves it. The reveal was spectacular and then as E3 progressed, as you heard more about it, the better it got. And Uncharted 4... it took a second re-watch of that gameplay to truly realise the scope of it. Astonishing! And the Last Guardian... it actually lived up to it's own hype... how is that even possible?

Every publisher had at least one "Ooooooooo!" moment (Fallout 4, Neir 2, Cuphead, SWBF, For Honor). Hell, MS was impressive, even though their old favourites of Gears/Halo lacked a bit of fizz! But you can't disagree that Sony totally nailed it this year, even if you discount the vapourware (FF7, S3). They just had more exciting looking games that you want in your hands NOW and not 2016... sigh!

Elandyll

Banned
I only count six?

Horizon: Zero Dawn
Uncharted 4
The Last Guardian
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
No Man's Sky
Shenmue 3

Still impressive none the less.

+ Nier 2 :)

And to be specific, many of these (4/7) are actually either "console exclusive", or "First on/ Console First" (aka Temp Exclusive), but still an impressive showing indeed.

AngryMoth

Wow, landslide victory for Horizon. Can't argue, it was my number 1 too.

I just hope the game actually looks and plays like that and it doesn't turn out to be one of those super idealised demo's a la bioshock infinite.

What blows my mind is that a FF7 remake wasn't the biggest surprise this E3.

It was. Just go look at the reaction videos. Many people didn't vote for it because it was at the end of the day, just a teaser trailer for a game not coming out 2 (being extremely positive) or more years.

Good to see Firewatch fairly high up and World of Final Fantasy not as low as I expected.

And Horizon by some distance - good taste, GAF.

Thanks to benny_a for making this happen, great effort.

I feel that if FFVII: Re wasn't shown right after, World of Final Fantasy would've gotten a lot of negative reception.

Kolx

Dark Souls 3 at 14 :(

Man, Horizon killed it!

Great choices all around. If i had seen MGS V 40 minutes gameplay video sooner mayber it would have topped my list of games coming this year.

Edit: It's really shocking seeing Halo 5 and Gears 4 so low on the list (29 and 40). Those were games that i was almost certain would break at least top 20.

Gears 4 and Halo didn't have anything new or innovative. It was the same formula with prettier graphics.

haikira

+ Nier 2 :)

And to be specific, many of these (4/7) are actually either "console exclusive", or "First on/ Console First" (aka Temp Exclusive), but still an impressive showing indeed.

I'm being pedantic here, but he did say top ten, which Nier 2 wasn't in.

I wasn't trying to belittle the amount though, I was just genuinely curious if I was missing something.

Gears 4 and Halo didn't have anything new or innovative. It was the same formula with prettier graphics.

I don't think that's it. I'm excited for Halo 5, but I actually neglected it in my list, as I just thought they didn't do a great job showing it off.

I think if they'd shown a well edited story trailer, people would have been a lot more pumped around here. As it stands, there weren't a lot of talking points from the section they showed off, or even more important around here, I don't think it was very gifable.

Gifable is a word, right?

Nafai1123

Banned
I hope GG is using this incredibly rare opportunity to smack talk ND a bit.

"Hey Druckman! Guess who won GAF's best of E3?" ;)

nib95

Banned
I hope GG is using this incredibly rare opportunity to smack talk ND a bit.

"Hey Druckman! Guess who won GAF's best of E3?" ;)

I don't want to sound unfair to everyone else, but I get the feeling ND intentionally held back in order not to spoil too much. Everyone is raving about how incredible the rest of that demo is, as showcased in the closed doors playthrough, and that it cut off just when it started getting really insane. Maybe if they showed the full thing, things would be different, or at least much closer?

Bluenoser

D'oh! Must have missed the voting. Oh well.

Halo all the way down at 29? Did people just not find it impressive? I wouldn't be calling for game of the show or anything, but I'm shocked it didn't score higher overall. What does this say about hype for a flagship game from MS?

And the response would just be a shake of the head and a laugh over someone talking smack over a trailer.

You missed the 5 minute long gameplay portion of the reveal? It was quite good.

Interesting list.

8/10 of the top ten are either PS4 exclusive or have stronger associations with PlayStation due to marketing etc.

Only ones that aren't are Fallout 4 (strong association with Xbox, Xbox marketing etc) and Mario Maker (Wii U Exclusive).

If you were Sony you'd look at that list and feel happy. Not the whole picture of course, but interesting nonetheless.

trailer? we got as much of an onstage demo from Horizon as Uncharted 4.

You missed the 5 minute long gameplay portion of the reveal? It was quite good.

Yeah, yeah. But talking smack to ND over an E3 would be like the Chicago Cubs talking smack to the New York Yankees because they finished spring training with a better record.

GG can gloat once their game is released and gets the kind of love ND's games have, and not before.

Bluenoser

Yeah, yeah. But talking smack to ND over an E3 would be like the Chicago Cubs talking smack to the New York Yankees because they finished spring training with a better record.

GG can gloat once their game is released and gets the kind of love ND's games have, and not before.

I think Horizon is fresh, new, and exciting.

While I love Uncharted, and can't wait to play UC4, GG went outside their comfort zone and hit it out of the park (to use a baseball metaphor to compliment your baseball analogy)

More impressive IMO. As for the final games, way too soon to stay. I'm hoping they are both amazing.

RiverBed

Banned
Kudos to Sony for owning this E3 with a passion.
It's always great seeing a brand new IP getting attention. Most of the contenders made a splash as well. Good year for gaming. Seeing next year E3.

Mononoke

Banned
Great list. It's pretty darn close to my own. Wish Cuphead had made it in the top though. But it being #12 is just as great. Really happy for it.

Overall, really good list.

V-Faction

Anybody here one of the "1 mention(s)" category?

Totally thought I was going to be a part of that group. Glad my #10 got a couple more votes.

Also, Uncharted don't give no fucks about yo' 2nd Year Effect.

Top Bottom