• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Best of E3 2015 Awards

Anybody here one of the "1 mention(s)" category?

Totally thought I was going to be a part of that group. Glad my #10 got a couple more votes.

Also, Uncharted don't give no fucks about yo' 2nd Year Effect.

I was the only one voting for Rain World! I'm disappointed GAF...

Nafai1123

Banned
I don't want to sound unfair to everyone else, but I get the feeling ND intentionally held back in order not to spoil too much. Everyone is raving about how incredible the rest of that demo is, as showcased in the closed doors playthrough, and that it cut off just when it started getting really insane. Maybe if they showed the full thing, things would be different, or at least much closer?

I get that feeling as well, though GG also had a closed door demo that we haven't seen.

I'm just happy both games are looking outstanding. Next year is going to be amazing.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Pretty much every single game in the top 10 (Excluding Super Mario Maker of course) is a PlayStation game which is either exclusive to the system, coming first to PlayStation, or has exclusive content.

Really says which platform holder had the better showing in the eyes of the core gamer.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
What I find interesting is that ~87% of votes mentioned Horizon somewhere in their 10 game ballot.

Last year the most mentioned games using the same metric only appeared in 57% (No Man's Sky) or ~56% (Zelda Wii U) of the ballots.

Mar Nosso

Banned
In this day and age showing a CGI trailer is akin to saying: "we have little to show at present" or "we don't trust our own game/it's crap". CGI should always be seen as one of the two and hopefully companies will start to shy away from them. They get nothing but a bored yawn from me as most of the time the final game looks and/or feels nothing like what was first shown.

Even though my number one vote would have gone to The Last Guardian, Guerrilla Games have taught everyone how to properly introduce a new IP to the masses: via a splendorous trailer that has lore and setting introduction as well as a good chunk of gameplay that gives you a clear picture of what the game is all about. Just perfect and it's no wonder it came first place in this competition in an E3 that has several megatons in just one conference. Exceedingly well done GG!

purdobol

What I find interesting is that ~87% of votes mentioned Horizon somewhere in their 10 game ballot.

Last year the most mentioned games using the same metric only appeared in 57% (No Man's Sky) or ~56% (Zelda Wii U) of the ballots.

People want new IPs contrary to Devs/Corporations believe. Rehashing old franchises may be safe from business standpoint. But nothing gets people as excited as new IP.
My guess is No Man's Sky would get even more mentions last year if it was developed by well known big studio (however its niche genre so I may be wrong here).

Apathy

Nicely done Benny, and quick, props to you for your hard work and time you put into this.

I was surprised that Halo 5 and Tomb Raider were so damn low. Come on, those games come out later, how are people not more excited? I know Neogaf is not representative of the gaming community as whole, but wow.

I hope GG is using this incredibly rare opportunity to smack talk ND a bit.

"Hey Druckman! Guess who won GAF's best of E3?" ;)

Hey now, don't poke the bear lest they want a big round of layoffs

Hpq6qQ8.jpg

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Great list. Almost fits right into what I had in my head. Though I would move Battlefront in the spot where FFIV is (only cause I am a Star Wars Fanboy).

Portugeezer

Let's see, what did Horizon do right?

- New IP
- Announced with a lengthy gameplay demo
- Amazing visuals
- Intriguing world

I didn't even have Horizon in my top 10. The developer has a lot to prove to me before I get behind them again. I don't care who they have brought in.

Just to point out one thing further that Horizon did that was fantastic at the first reveal of a game, gameplay demo on the actual hardware it's to ship on.

I mean of course it might get downgraded or some other such nonsense but we have an actual gameplay demo that is quoted as to have been running from a PS4.

On top of everything else they did right with the reveal of course.

benny_a

Just to point out one thing further that Horizon did that was fantastic at the first reveal of a game, gameplay demo on the actual hardware it's to ship on.

I mean of course it might get downgraded or some other such nonsense but we have an actual gameplay demo that is quoted as to have been running from a PS4.
But that's normal for a SCE subsidiary. They only have one target platform.

Ubisoft, EA and Activision studios have several target platforms and probably don't have one devkit per developer.

But that's normal for a SCE subsidiary. They only have one target platform.

Ubisoft, EA and Activision studios have several target platforms and probably don't have one devkit per developer.

I was kind of thinking of this specifically

http://www.destructoid.com/guerrilla-owns-up-to-infamous-killzone-2-e3-trailer-174513.phtml

but yeah I suppose they have been good about it for a number of years. I just like having the little blurb at the beginning to make it absolutely clear what they're showing is running on the final hardware.

eerik9000

Did not vote (do not even know how the process worked) but whatever, the top 4 is probably my top 4 too. I usually don't get hyped for pre-rendered CGI trailers, I get hyped for real gameplay, and that's what all the top four games demonstrated well at E3 press conferences.

I think Cuphead will lose a lot of it's appeal once people realize it's just a boss rush game.

It looks better than any game i've ever seen, but if that really is all there is then i'm not really looking forward to play it. I think a lot of people still think it's a full sidescrolling platformer.

Is that actually true? I thought I'd read a statement which clarified that it wasn't.

benny_a

Is that actually true? I thought I'd read a statement which clarified that it wasn't.
This is the answer by one of the developers about what Cuphead is:
“We haven’t made ourselves too clear about things. We’re in development, and we change our minds slightly about things as we playtest them. The majority of the game will be one or two screen bossfights, but we also want to incorporate platforming levels where you’re actually running across eight, nine, maybe more screens. It’ll still be a boss fight in a way.”

“For example, you might be chasing a boss. The boss could be in the background, and it would be a race instead of a direct Contra battle. We’re trying to keep it pretty diverse even with that boss rush stigma the game has on it.”

“The single arena boss, just because it’s not as much work, is going to be a big chunk of the game. We’ll probably, just guessing right now based on what we have planned… 30 to 35 percent of the game will not be that. It’s 20 times more work, but (laughs), we’ll do it.”

I was surprised that Halo 5 and Tomb Raider were so damn low. Come on, those games come out later, how are people not more excited? I know Neogaf is not representative of the gaming community as whole, but wow.
Maybe it is just the other way round and GAF is representative for the whole (= global) gaming community.
What you get on the list might also be a sign of the appeal Halo and Tomb Raider have to the worldwide audience.

I would really love to see a chart showing how many gaffers are from which region.

“We haven’t made ourselves too clear about things. We’re in development, and we change our minds slightly about things as we playtest them. The majority of the game will be one or two screen bossfights, but we also want to incorporate platforming levels where you’re actually running across eight, nine, maybe more screens. It’ll still be a boss fight in a way.”

“For example, you might be chasing a boss. The boss could be in the background, and it would be a race instead of a direct Contra battle. We’re trying to keep it pretty diverse even with that boss rush stigma the game has on it.”

“The single arena boss, just because it’s not as much work, is going to be a big chunk of the game. We’ll probably, just guessing right now based on what we have planned… 30 to 35 percent of the game will not be that. It’s 20 times more work, but (laughs), we’ll do it.”

Oh. That... that doesn't sound very good :( A good boss is fine, but fun and varied platforming levels are my favourite part of any platformer. I guess this isn't necessarily even a 'platformer' as I think of one, but from short gameplay clips that's my first assumption.

Melchiah

Nice to see a new IP on the top, and many of those I voted on the top 10. Compliments on the effort, benny_a.

Well, fewer people get to play those two games at launch, so it would be natural that the games on the PS4/PC, which have a larger userbase, get more attention.

The E3 presentation of TR wasn't that good either, as it concentrated on the gameplay mechanics that many, including me, found the least appealing part in the reboot. In comparison, Uncharted 4's gameplay presentation felt more interesting, and it got me more excited about it than I was before (I liked TR reboot more than UC2+3).

Halo 5 being so low is both surprising and unsurprising. Its surprising because it is a huge franchise releasing 4 months from now, but unsurprising because the demo was not good and most of the coverage at E3 for Halo was an experimental Hololens thing. It may all mean nothing though because Halo is still a household name, and come October it will still sell a lot.

Apathy

Maybe it is just the other way round and GAF is representative for the whole (= global) gaming community.
What you get on the list might also be a sign of the appeal Halo and Tomb Raider have to the worldwide audience.

I would really love to see a chart showing how many gaffers are from which region.

If that were true though, call of duty would be much higher on the list

Melchiah

Yeah, it would be interesting to see how the votes on individual games divide between the regions.

Jigorath

Banned

That's really disappointing. I guess I should have done some more research on it but I always just assumed it was a full sidescroller.

Still, I gotta pick it up for the artstyle.

I love the Souls series, but can't get excited over yet another CGI trailer.

Yeah, I agree with this. I've no doubt I'm going to love DS3 but I don't feel hugely excited for it given that its the fourth Souls game in a reasonably short space of time, if you count Bloodborne which is Souls in all but name.

Can't really disagree with the way the vote went. Horizon does look pretty awesome, although I'm not yet totally convinced it will live up to the promise of the reveal. You could say that about pretty much any newly announced game though.

Top Bottom