• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Best of E3 2017 Awards

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
nu9ntyn.png

This is a barometer of hands-off anticipation months before many of these games release.
They are done mostly by people that are hands-off and are not attending E3.

683 ballots (-19%) were counted and 131 different games (-8%) were mentioned.
The scoring goes as follows: (Total mentions / Total points / #1 votes only)

KU2yDsq.png

Super Mario Odyssey (486 / 1627 / 279) by Nintendo EPD
Game of the Show = Highest total points
Passion Award = Counting #1 votes only
Universal Appeal = Most voted on game
Out in 2017 = Announced release date of 2017
Super Mario Odyssey - Everything gets a mustache.
Super Mario Odyssey ; I'm usually not that crazy about 3D Mario games. I enjoy them, and recognize their quality objectively, but I don't think I'd call any of them personal favorite titles for me. Super Mario Odyssey's trailer is one of the best trailers I have ever seen for a video game. It constantly surprises. It OOZES charm and imagination. And the new mechanic had me sold instantly. The game is so weird! It's so unique! I get to play it in four short months. I didn't imagine myself being this excited for a Mario game ever, but Nintendo knocked it out of the park with both their trailer and demonstrations. Gold star.

kPURGhm.png

God of War (350 / 912 / 73) by SIE Santa Monica Studio
God of War - Awesome cutscenes and touching conversations, but especially the combat shone in the trailer. That typical high speed, brutal gameplay that the series is known for seems to have translated very well into the over-the-shoulder camera viewpoint, and that was the last worry I had left for this title. Now, I am fully anticipating it, and will pick it up as soon as it launches next year.
God of War ; I love this series, i loved even Ascension, but after that, it was the end for me for Kratos as i knew him, it was either bring me something different or end the series... i'm glad they are doing the right thing here.

lDzaxBL.png

Spider-Man (353 / 841 / 44) by Insomniac Games
Spiderman - Not usually much of a spiderman fan, but I have enjoyed Insomniac games. This looks very slick and of course looked amazing visually. I also like the equal split of content between spiderman and Peter Parker.
Spider-Man ; The gameplay looks real good. It's funny how many flashbacks this gives me to Spider-Man 2, just with an absurd level of polish and visual flair. My only hope is that the additional villains are more notable than Negative Man, a character I have never heard of in my 20+ years of reading comic books.

csPrX1q.png

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (312 / 746 / 34) by MachineGames
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - I was already interested in this game just by virtue of it being a sequel to what I'd argue to be the best single player FPS campaign in the past decade (with Doom being a close second) but the trailer and the lengths to which they have gone to build up the world and capitalize on a sort of corrupted Americana angle just has me absolutely giddy about playing through it. Machine Games is always an immediate buy for me but this game truly looks like something special as it seems like they've finally been given the sort of budget they actually deserve and just a peek of what they are doing with that extra freedom is infinitely more interesting than any other shooter I saw at E3.

ZGUETkP.png

Dragon Ball FighterZ (251 / 647 / 61) by Arc System Works
Dragonball FighterZ ; Arcsys shows everyone how it's done once again. While I'm not the world's biggest Dragonball fan, I am a HUGE fan of Arcsys and Marvel vs. Capcom. This looks like the perfect combination and it's great to see people excited for an anime fighter like this.

0Gf7qXs.png

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (279 / 642 / 20) by Ubisoft Paris, Ubisoft Milan
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle ; It is so dumb this game even exists. But it's an admirable, amazing kind of dumb. I have to play it for myself, just to confirm it really exists. I don't anticipate Kingdom Battle to knock my socks off, but even the possibility that it'll be competent and kind of fun is something amazing. I badly want this to succeed, even just so it opens the door for even better third party collaborations.

Nea84Ts.png

Anthem (253 / 520 / 25) by BioWare
Biggest surprise = Game we knew nothing about going into E3
Anthem - I'm not at all a fan of shooters, but Anthem had the lore, artstyle and creature design to interest me from the start until the end of the gameplay demo. The world is beautiful, the creatures brilliant and big, so I am looking forward to maybe trying this title when it releases.

df3M0dT.png

Shadow of the Colossus (221 / 435 / 13) by Bluepoint Games, SIE Japan Studio
Play me again award = Highest points for remaster / remake / re-imagining

KYnQgr7.png

Metroid: Samus Returns (190 / 403 / 9) by MercurySteam, Nintendo EPD

tlguPuU.png

Monster Hunter: World (163 / 359 / 20) by Capcom

OHFWY0r.png

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (151 / 317 / 6) by Monolith Soft
Days Gone (151 / 285 / 8) by SIE Bend Studio

tEPwy18.png

Metroid Prime 4 (120 / 275 / 8) by Unknown Dev Team (Nintendo)
The Evil Within 2 (128 / 272 / 19) by Tango Gameworks

7ChQ6aj.png

A Way Out (127 / 250 / 8) by Hazelight Studios
Metro: Exodus (115 / 234 / 5) by 4A Games

QxhnIFz.png

Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom (117 / 229 / 3) by Level-5
Beyond Good and Evil 2 (98 / 198 / 7) by Ubisoft Montpellier

I5jqAwt.png

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (123 / 194 / 2) by Naughty Dog
Assassin's Creed: Origins (109 / 193 / 2) by Ubisoft Montreal

dV848zW.png

Top Add-On: Horizon: Zero Dawn - The Frozen Wilds (48 / 73 / 1) by Guerilla Games
Top Racing: The Crew 2 (21 / 41 / 1) by Ivory Tower, Ubisoft Reflections
Top VR Exclusive: Moss (10 / 12 / 0) by Polyarc

Full results
Code:
| rank | game                                                        | total mentions | total points | top spot only |
| #1   | Super Mario Odyssey                                         |            486 |         1627 |           279 |
| #2   | God of War                                                  |            350 |          912 |            73 |
| #3   | Marvel's Spider-Man                                         |            353 |          841 |            44 |
| #4   | Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus                            |            312 |          746 |            34 |
| #5   | Dragon Ball FighterZ                                        |            251 |          647 |            61 |
| #6   | Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle                              |            279 |          642 |            20 |
| #7   | Anthem                                                      |            253 |          520 |            25 |
| #8   | Shadow of the Colossus                                      |            221 |          435 |            13 |
| #9   | Metroid: Samus Returns                                      |            190 |          403 |             9 |
| #10  | Monster Hunter: World                                       |            163 |          359 |            20 |
| #11  | Xenoblade Chronicles 2                                      |            151 |          317 |             6 |
| #12  | Days Gone                                                   |            151 |          285 |             8 |
| #13  | Metroid Prime 4                                             |            120 |          275 |             8 |
| #14  | The Evil Within 2                                           |            128 |          272 |            19 |
| #15  | A Way Out                                                   |            127 |          250 |             8 |
| #16  | Metro: Exodus                                               |            115 |          234 |             5 |
| #17  | Ni No Kuni II                                               |            117 |          229 |             3 |
| #18  | Beyond Good and Evil 2                                      |             98 |          198 |             7 |
| #20  | Uncharted: The Lost Legacy                                  |            123 |          194 |             2 |
| #19  | Assassin's Creed: Origins                                   |            109 |          193 |             0 |
| #21  | Ori and the Will of the Wisps                               |             86 |          177 |             3 |
| #22  | Detroit: Become Human                                       |            102 |          174 |             4 |
| #23  | Star Wars Battlefront 2                                     |             88 |          154 |             1 |
| #24  | Splatoon 2                                                  |             80 |          151 |             1 |
| #25  | Kingdom Hearts III                                          |             58 |          129 |             7 |
| #26  | Yoshi                                                       |             63 |           98 |             0 |
| #27  | The Last Night                                              |             45 |           84 |             2 |
| #28  | Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds                         |             48 |           73 |             1 |
| #29  | Sea of Thieves                                              |             45 |           73 |             1 |
| #30  | South Park: The Fractured But Whole                         |             46 |           68 |             1 |
| #31  | Cuphead                                                     |             36 |           63 |             1 |
| #32  | Kirby                                                       |             41 |           60 |             1 |
| #33  | Far Cry 5                                                   |             39 |           60 |             1 |
| #34  | Destiny 2                                                   |             29 |           55 |             3 |
| #35  | Shadow of War                                               |             29 |           48 |             0 |
| #36  | Dissidia Final Fantasy NT                                   |             24 |           48 |             0 |
| #37  | Yakuza 6: The Song of Life                                  |             27 |           46 |             0 |
| #38  | The Crew 2                                                  |             21 |           41 |             1 |
| #39  | Forza Motorsport 7                                          |             21 |           38 |             0 |
| #40  | Sonic Mania                                                 |             18 |           31 |             0 |
| #41  | Ashen                                                       |             19 |           30 |             1 |
| #44  | Hidden Agenda                                               |             21 |           30 |             0 |
| #42  | Fire Emblem Warriors                                        |             18 |           30 |             0 |
| #43  | Life is Strange: Before the Storm                           |             15 |           29 |             1 |
| #45  | Call of Duty WWII                                           |             19 |           29 |             0 |
| #46  | Arms                                                        |             17 |           29 |             0 |
| #47  | Crackdown 3                                                 |             17 |           29 |             0 |
| #48  | Gran Turismo Sport                                          |             17 |           29 |             0 |
| #49  | Ace Combat 7                                                |             13 |           25 |             1 |
| #50  | Untitled Pokémon Game                                       |             15 |           24 |             1 |
| #51  | Skull and Bones                                             |             18 |           23 |             0 |
| #52  | State of Decay 2                                            |             12 |           19 |             0 |
| #53  | Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite                                  |             10 |           19 |             0 |
| #54  | Ys VIII                                                     |              8 |           18 |             1 |
| #55  | Vampyr                                                      |             10 |           18 |             0 |
| #56  | Knack 2                                                     |             11 |           17 |             1 |
| #57  | Dishonored: Death of the Outsider                           |              9 |           17 |             0 |
| #58  | Super Lucky's Tale                                          |              9 |           15 |             0 |
| #59  | Yakuza Kiwami                                               |              9 |           15 |             0 |
| #60  | Rocket League                                               |              9 |           14 |             0 |
| #61  | Sonic Forces                                                |              9 |           14 |             0 |
| #62  | Matterfall                                                  |              9 |           13 |             0 |
| #63  | Moss                                                        |             10 |           12 |             0 |
| #64  | Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions            |              8 |           12 |             0 |
| #65  | FIFA 18                                                     |              6 |           12 |             0 |
| #66  | Pokkén Tournament DX                                        |              8 |           10 |             0 |
| #67  | Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony                             |              7 |           10 |             0 |
| #68  | The Artful Escape of Francis Vendetti                       |              7 |           10 |             0 |
| #69  | Inpatient                                                   |              6 |           10 |             0 |
| #73  | Tunic                                                       |              6 |           10 |             0 |
| #70  | Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy                            |              4 |            9 |             1 |
| #71  | Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection                               |              3 |            9 |             1 |
| #72  | Skyrim VR                                                   |              6 |            9 |             0 |
| #74  | Starlink: Battle for Atlus                                  |              6 |            8 |             0 |
| #75  | Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond The Myth                           |              4 |            8 |             0 |
| #76  | Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido                           |              5 |            7 |             0 |
| #77  | Need for Speed: Payback                                     |              4 |            7 |             0 |
| #78  | The Swords of Ditto                                         |              4 |            7 |             0 |
| #79  | Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux                   |              5 |            6 |             0 |
| #80  | Ever Oasis                                                  |              4 |            6 |             0 |
| #81  | Tacoma                                                      |              4 |            6 |             0 |
| #82  | Total War: Warhammer 2                                      |              2 |            6 |             0 |
| #83  | Mount and Blade II: Bannerlords                             |              2 |            5 |             1 |
| #84  | Code Vein                                                   |              4 |            5 |             0 |
| #85  | Wargroove                                                   |              4 |            5 |             0 |
| #86  | Gundam Versus                                               |              2 |            5 |             0 |
| #87  | Miitopia                                                    |              2 |            5 |             0 |
| #88  | Path of Exile                                               |              1 |            4 |             1 |
| #89  | Lawbreakers                                                 |              2 |            4 |             0 |
| #90  | PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds                               |              2 |            4 |             0 |
| #91  | The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – Champion's Ballad |              2 |            4 |             0 |
| #92  | Undertale                                                   |              2 |            4 |             0 |
| #93  | Unto The End                                                |              2 |            4 |             0 |
| #94  | Ooblets                                                     |              3 |            3 |             0 |
| #95  | Absolver                                                    |              2 |            3 |             0 |
| #96  | Age of Empires: Definitive Edition                           |              2 |            3 |             0 |
| #97  | Bloodstained                                                |              2 |            3 |             0 |
| #98  | Call of Cthulhu                                             |              2 |            3 |             0 |
| #99  | Everybody's Golf                                            |              2 |            3 |             0 |
| #100 | Griftlands                                                  |              2 |            3 |             0 |
| #101 | Minecraft                                                   |              2 |            3 |             0 |
| #102 | Battletech                                                  |              1 |            3 |             0 |
| #103 | Doom VFR                                                    |              1 |            3 |             0 |
| #104 | Minit                                                       |              1 |            3 |             0 |
| #105 | Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash                           |              1 |            3 |             0 |
| #106 | Donut County                                                |              2 |            2 |             0 |
| #107 | Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age                           |              2 |            2 |             0 |
| #108 | The Darwin Project                                          |              2 |            2 |             0 |
| #109 | Unruly Heroes                                               |              2 |            2 |             0 |
| #110 | 13 Sentinels                                                |              1 |            2 |             0 |
| #111 | A Plague Tale: Innocence                                    |              1 |            2 |             0 |
| #112 | Extinction                                                  |              1 |            2 |             0 |
| #113 | FINAL FANTASY XIV: Stormblood                               |              1 |            2 |             0 |
| #114 | FINAL FANTASY XV: Episode Prompto                           |              1 |            2 |             0 |
| #115 | Final Fantasy XV: Monster of the Deep                       |              1 |            2 |             0 |
| #116 | Fortnite                                                    |              1 |            2 |             0 |
| #117 | Kingdom Come Deliverance                                    |              1 |            2 |             0 |
| #118 | Planet Coaster E3 DLC                                       |              1 |            2 |             0 |
| #119 | Project Cars 2                                              |              1 |            2 |             0 |
| #120 | .hack//GU Remaster                                          |              1 |            1 |             0 |
| #121 | Battlefield 1: In the Name of the Tsar                       |              1 |            1 |             0 |
| #122 | Celeste                                                     |              1 |            1 |             0 |
| #123 | Frostpunk                                                   |              1 |            1 |             0 |
| #124 | Hunt: Showdown                                              |              1 |            1 |             0 |
| #125 | Knights and Bikes                                           |              1 |            1 |             0 |
| #126 | Madden 18                                                   |              1 |            1 |             0 |
| #127 | Nex Machina                                                 |              1 |            1 |             0 |
| #128 | Strange Brigade                                             |              1 |            1 |             0 |
| #129 | Transference                                                |              1 |            1 |             0 |
| #130 | Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth                                |              1 |            1 |             0 |
| #131 | XCOM 2 - War of the Chosen                                  |              1 |            1 |             0 |

Mario Destroys All. Not even close. I'm surprised that Xenoblade and Metroid (Even made the Top 10) were high up though. Good on Rabbids too.

Canucked

This list is perfect. Good job GAF.

And I'm glad there is a little excitement for Assassins Creed Origins, even if it is #20.

Go Mario! Go Spider-man!

jonno394

Metroid Prime 4 being on that list is hilarious imo. I'm hyped for it, but it's not a game right now!

Good top 10 overall. Mario and Rabbids is my game of show followed by Odyssey and God of War.

DMONKUMA

The fact that we got a classic Metroid and Prime game at this E3 is just one of the best things ever.

Also nice that Rabbids is up that high.

Totally deserved for Odyssey at #1. Amazing showing and the game looks brilliant. No surprise at all that it topped things.

I'm still just amazed by what a splash DB FighterZ has made. That has to by far be the most left-field announcement of the show but man oh MAN did it deliver. Feels so nice seeing a game like that in the top 5, and it's completely deserved.

Mario + Rabbids at 6 is a nice surprise too. Considering just how strange an idea it sounded at first, that demonstration and the developer's passion turned it into one of the most unexpected surprises at the show.

Joey Ravn

Banned
SMO being the top dog isn't any surprise.

Now... Mario + Rabbids at #6. That is a surprise! Before E3 barely anyone would have said something positive about that game, but Ubisoft managed to turn that ship 180º and win a truckload of people. I'm glad it's looking so good!

Metroid Prime 4 being on that list is hilarious imo. I'm hyped for it, but it's not a game right now!

To be fair, it was a game announced as part of a presentation during E3 by one of the "big three", so it's as legit as it gets. And as far as we know, any of those games can become a "non game" in the blink of an eye. Remember that Scalebound was shown during last year's E3 presentation by Microsoft and a few months later it was unceremoniously cancelled.

Endo Punk

Tremendous showing at E3. Odyssey had it in the bag. Glad GOW bagged No.2. My most anticipated is The Evil Within 2 for this year.

Mario got the same number of top spots as the next top 8 games combined.

That Nintendo magic at work.

And Dragonball seriously ate Capcom/Marvels lunch on gaf, and deservedly so. Game is gorgeous

Khezu

Apparently I missed something... did that Rabbids game turn out not terrible?

Maybe I should watch a trailer.

Servbot24

Banned
Shouldn't #6 be biggest surprise? The concept leaked but we didn't really know anything about it. We also knew Bioware was making a Destiny-ish new IP.

Loris146

They showed one highly scripted gameplay demo. Meanwhile Mario had several unedited gameplay demos, an amazing trailer, and hands-on on the show floor. If it didn't win that would have been insane.

Yeah they should have shown more open world stuff along side the huge setpiece / boss fight.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Shouldn't #6 be biggest surprise? The concept leaked but we didn't really know anything about it. We also knew Bioware was making a Destiny-ish new IP.
Having the concept leak that explains the game's mechanics, art and the title, in addition to all the rumors for many months. I don't think it counts as biggest surprise based on that.
If it's rumored and known to GAFfers it's not a surprise. The category was initially introduced for Splatoon and Project Nier was a worthy follow up. Mario+Rabbids is not in that category.

I wasn't aware that Anthem was rumored or leaked, I googled for Anthem leaked but didn't find anything like I did for example Dragon Ball FighterZ. I'm willing to drop it for something else, just not #6.

Top Bottom