• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

|OT| GAFs big house of Linux |OT| for gamers, ricers, newbs and greybeards - because it's free as in freedom!

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Aug 30, 2018
Pentesting without authorization.... tsk tsk... very poor form!

Linux kernel group is already strained, they don't need to deal with maliciousness.
Well honestly it just goes to show some of the benefits of open source projects

Since it's a COMMUNITY project, with community beliefs, ethics, practices and standards there's already a large chorus ready to tell these people they're doing wrong, and can easily protect it

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Dec 26, 2008
Spain
Well honestly it just goes to show some of the benefits of open source projects

Since it's a COMMUNITY project, with community beliefs, ethics, practices and standards there's already a large chorus ready to tell these people they're doing wrong, and can easily protect it

That's certainly reassuring and it's good these things are looked at. Trust within the community is powerful.

Btw, seems we're gettomg close to Elementary os 6 beta these guys beat to the sound of their own drum and have had their share of controversies, but their distro certainly has a dedicated fanbase. They're even cultivating an ecosystem based around elementary HIG and Vala.

Dream-Knife

Feb 22, 2021
Fortunately there’s options out there!

Speaking as someone who runs a gnome distro, there’s enough extensions to make it very usable, but I agree with you that default gnome is rather meh.
Oh yeah I know. KDE looks awesome and is what I would use if I had to use linux.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Dec 26, 2008
Spain
Oh yeah I know. KDE looks awesome and is what I would use if I had to use linux.

KDE is super customisable too. A lot of ricers run it because how moddable it use.

It's most well known trick is that it comes with a global menu bar ala macos as an option. Funnily enough, gnome mandates a top menu bar and yet they refuse to add this option - it boggles the mind! But again, that's gnome for ya :lollipop_flores:

Reactions: Dream-Knife

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Dec 26, 2008
Spain
Looks nice. I might fuck around with this os on my wife's old pc. Does it play well with GPUs? Her processor is an old AMD, which, if memory serves, does not have onboard graphics.

Out of the box it should play well with AMD cards. For nvidia there’s ok performance open source drivers built in, you might wanna look into installing the nvidia proprietary ones for best performance.

Reactions: Maiden Voyage

-Minsc-

Nov 14, 2009
Was initially planning to switch to Linux when the Win 8.1 support ended in 2023. Now I'm planning to buy an SSD for this over five year old machine and put Mint on it. I do have Mint on an old mid-2007 iMac. Works OK. Wonky booting up as I have to type in "exit" in this Grub or something screen to make it boot.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Dec 26, 2008
Spain
Was initially planning to switch to Linux when the Win 8.1 support ended in 2023. Now I'm planning to buy an SSD for this over five year old machine and put Mint on it. I do have Mint on an old mid-2007 iMac. Works OK. Wonky booting up as I have to type in "exit" in this Grub or something screen to make it boot.

Woot! Welcome!

Mint comes built in with a boot repair app, have you tried it? You need to boot from a mint live USB to use it, I think.

Be sure to backup before using it! Messing with your boot is always risky.

Last edited:

-Minsc-

Nov 14, 2009
Woot! Welcome!

Mint comes built in with a boot repair app, have you tried it? You need to boot from a mint live USB to use it, I think.

Be sure to backup before using it! Messing with your boot is always risky.
Cool. Will give it a try when 20.2 stable drops. Just the hard drive or is there something else you are recommending me to back up?

-Minsc-

Nov 14, 2009
What do you mean, like external drives?
I'm honestly not sure myself. There's nothing of real importance on that machine so I'll just go a clean install.

https://linuxhint.com/linux_mint_boot_repair/ Lots of guides out there to give me a hand.

I remember back six or seven years ago I attempted to triple boot OS X, Windows and Linux Mint. Did something with rEFInd. Always wondered if I screwed something up. Didn't have much issue booting OS X or Windows, just Linux.

Reactions: Bitmap Frogs

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Dec 26, 2008
Spain
I'm honestly not sure myself. There's nothing of real importance on that machine so I'll just go a clean install.

https://linuxhint.com/linux_mint_boot_repair/ Lots of guides out there to give me a hand.

I remember back six or seven years ago I attempted to triple boot OS X, Windows and Linux Mint. Did something with rEFInd. Always wondered if I screwed something up. Didn't have much issue booting OS X or Windows, just Linux.

Alright! Clean install it is!

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA

• LOL
Reactions: Kazza and Unknown?

Unknown?

Jan 5, 2016
The wait is long but I'm finally upgrading my old laptop to a Star Labs Star Book MKV. Supposedly will be shipping by the end of this month.