• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's "Greatest Games of All Time" 2011 Edition (Voting ends Feb. 13 11:59 P.M PST)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Stumpokapow said:
It's a pity we're not going with discussion, one of the reasons why this year's GOTY thread was a significantly better read than previous years was because people actually put an effort into their posts. Personally I find the voting pretty secondary to reading peoples opinions. *shrugs*

You're a mod, so why not just mandate it?

1: Super Smash Bros. Melee
2: Final Fantasy Tactics
3: Capcom vs. SNK 2
4: Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
5: Banjo-Kazooie
6: Skate 2
7: Bayonetta
8: Suikoden II
9: Caesar III
10: Europa Universalis III

thechemist

1: Metal Gear Solid 3
2: Metal Gear Solid 1
3: Metal Gear Solid 2
4: Metal Gear Solid 4
5: Half Life 2
6: GTA 3
7: Resident Evil 4
8: Mass Effect
9: Call of Duty 4: MW
10: God of War

Sorry for the MGS bias but I love the series.

Honorable mentions to Half Life episodes, GTA: VC and SA, and DMC 1 & 3. Also in this gen, Uncharted 1 & 2.

1. Myth II: Soulblighter
2. Fallout
3. Chrono Trigger
4. Earthbound
5. System Shock 2
6. Dungeon Keeper 2
7. Resident Evil Remake GC
8. Pixeljunk Monsters Deluxe
9. God Hand
10. Startopia

KajunW

1: Super Mario Galaxy
2: Super Metroid
3: Tetris
4: StarCraft
5: Super Mario Kart
6: Super Mario Bros 3
7: Street Fighter II
8: Zelda III
9: Final Fantasy VI
10: Half Life II

sam27368

Banned
Hmm it's hard to think if the game is genuinely great or I'm just getting nostalgic

But here goes, my personal favourite games of all time. Also, as opinion makes for a better thread as I've read above, I'll add my opinions.

1 - Final Fantasy 9 - This is my favourite game of all time, I absolutely love it. The story, setting, graphics and field gameplay are absolutely spot on. I also feel as though the game had a great sense of humour, never taking itself too seriously. The battle system was flawed, but I could happily play this game over and over.

2 - Half Life - When I first played Half Life I was quite young, it was the first game I ever played with gibs. So was instantly shocked as I could crowbar people/zombies to death, it sounds quite macabre but it's what initially drew me in (I believe I was 10-12 years old). Then I quickly became attached to the puzzles and sense of completion as the game went on. As I grew older I started to really appreciate the story and the way it was told. It was the first truly immersive first person story for this medium. I also played a hell of a lot of mods on the HL1 engine when I was a kid, I absolutely loved the idea of being able to have a new game for free every month for just having HL1.

3 - Mass Effect Series (1&2) - I know this vote probably won't be counted as it's two games. But the reason being is once again the setting and story. BioWare have done an amazing job fleshing out an entire universe. It's truly mind boggling. Sure, Mass Effect 1 had its faults, I posted my opinions of it in the LTTP PC version thread, but here they are -
sam27368 said:
It's a fantastic game, it's just less polished than ME2 (even though that would be a given). Sometimes the voiceover work feels quite stale (along with the animations) in certain situations that require a lot more drama.

Example -
Wrex's death: I had spoken to Wrex a lot and built up a relationship, when he died it was like a load of cardboard cut outs were going OH WELL LET US MOVE ON AND SHOOT THIS THING
Mass Effect 2 was a rollercoaster ride. Absolutely the blockbuster game I was hoping it to be, I know a lot of people disagree with this choice. But I thought it was gaming perfection.

4 - BioShock - Okay, the last boss and ending sucked, big time. Worse than big time, it was such a let down. But BioShock had such an incredible setting! Rapture was a perfect blend of insanity, colour, art and epicness. I quite enjoyed Jacks story but it certainly wasn't a strong point, or the reason this is on the list. Rapture is the reason.

5 - Silent Hill 2 - First game I ever played where I got genuinely scared and stressed playing. It was pure horror.

6 - Final Fantasy 7 - I got Final Fantasy 7 on day one as a youngster not having a clue what I was stepping into. I had seen a small trailer on an OPM magazine demo disc and as a young lad, I remember watching the CGI scene where Cid's ship blasted into space on the trailer and thought "wow, cool, space! I want to buy it!". I was completely blown away when I started playing, the settings and graphics were mind boggling. As I carried on, the sense of achievement for levelling up and collecting materia was second to none. And of course, Sephiroth!

7 - Super Mario Bros 3 - Nostalgia and just plain fun, nothing more, nothing less.

8 - Metal Gear Solid - I think anyone who played MGS on day one was absolutely stunned by the game. The first true stealth game that worked well, with a brilliant story to push players forward.

9 - Theme Park - For the many hours I spent at a young age trying to rebuild my Disney holidays.

10 - Uncharted 2 - Gameplay; spot on. Setting; spot on. Story; incredible. Graphics; mind blowing. There is nothing I can find wrong with this game.

These are just off the top of my head, I'll probably kick myself tomorrow as I remember a lot more. It's also hard because most games these days are built various gameplay aspects of other games which are known to work thanks to experience and time. So whilst the list might be outdated and I'm sure there are other games that do it better, these are my favourite.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
1: Metal Gear Solid
2: Civilization 4
3: Super Mario Bros. 3
4: Yoshi's Island
5: Starcraft
6: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
7: Final Fantasy 6
8: Super Smash Brother Melee
9: Quake 3 Arena
10: Tetris

kodt

Banned
1. Half-Life
2. Goldeneye 007
3. Super Mario World
4. Metal Gear Solid 3
5. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
6. Unreal
7. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
8. Counter-Strike
9. Starcraft
10. Civilization II

Honorable Mention: Demon's Souls, Shadow of the Colossus, Grand Theft Auto 3, Fallout 3, Mario Kart 64, Unreal Tournement, Quake 3, Metal Gear Solid, Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire, Star Wars Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, Half-Life 2, Battlefield 1942, Uncharted 2, Call of Duty, TES3: Morrowind.

Grayman

randomly off the top of my head

1: DOOM
2: Tie Fighter
3: Full Throttle
4: Fallout 2
5: Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
6: Final Fantasy Tactics
7: Fire Pro Wrestling Returns
8: Quake Live
9: Counter Strike
10: Asheron's Call

1: Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
2: Cave Story
3: Psychonauts
4: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
5: Final Fantasy VI
6: Starcraft II
7: Half Life II
8: Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations
9: Command and Conquer: Red Alert
10: F-Zero GX

Honorable Mentions: Seiken Densetsu 3, Banjo Kazooie, Terranigma, Grim Fandango, and Pokemon Blue (Red sucks balls!).

I just read Stump's post above, so I figure I'll give a bit of explanation.

Lufia II: This one is partially nostalgia driven, it was my first RPG, and what really got me into gaming. Looking back though, it really is a legitimately fantastic game. It has all of its pieces perfectly assembled, the best dungeon/puzzle design ever created, fantastic music, lovable characters and a great plot twist. It also has one of the best side quests of all time in the Ancient Cave, which is basically a whole game on its own.

Cave Story: Elegance in simplicity. Truly made from the heart of its creator. Infinitely replayable.

Psychonauts: A future classic in my eyes. I didn't play it until years after it came out, but the writing + characters, combined with fantastically inventive level design and gameplay mechanics create an amalgamation of the perfect game for me. The gameplay was a little buggy, which holds it back a bit, but otherwise perfect.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: I think this one is pretty self-explanatory. I get the chills just thinking about the start menu for the game.

Final Fantasy VI: This is the more widely known SNES RPG. Best villain of all time in Kefka, a memorable OST, Espers were a great edition to the formula. Whole game is pretty perfectly paced, never a dull moment.

Starcraft II: Going into Starcraft II must have been a scary thing for Blizzard, because they had to top the original. I think they managed to do it. Everything is there, and it is all bigger and better than ever. I've already put countless hours into it, and will into the future. It's also the only multiplayer game on her for me (besides F-Zero GX and Red Alert, but still).

Half Life II: Stunning. Fun. Scary. We Don't Go To Ravenholm.

Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations: For adventure games, it came down between this and Grim Fandango. I chose this as a summation of the entirety of the series. Captivating, intense, and even moving, while maintaining a bit of sillyness. The final case is one of my favorite gaming moments ever. I spent 15 hours or so huddled up in a ball next to my stove during a harsh blizzard. Will never forget that.

Command and Conquer: Red Alert: This WAS my first game ever. What a great one to start on. Sooooo much fun. Cheesy characters, great gameplay (horrible balance though), great campaign.

F-Zero GX: So good that I bought it three times. The most difficult and satisfying game I've ever had the grace of playing. One of my favorite things to do when it first came out was to play against my friends and watch how they seriously misjudged everything due to the high speed nature of the game.

1. Mass Effect I
2. Baldur's Gate II - Shadows of Amn
3. Planescape: Torment
4. Street Fighter II
5. Chrono Trigger
6. Call of Duty 4: MW
7. Final Fantasy Tactics
8. Ninja Gaiden: Black
9. KOTOR
10. Final Fantasy VII

MoFuzz

1: Deus Ex
2: Starsiege: Tribes
3: Resident Evil 4
4: Street Fighter II Turbo
5: StarCraft
6: Ninja Gaiden Black
7: Half-Life 2
8: Super Mario 64
9: Super Meat Boy
10: GoldenEye 007

Coin Return

Loose Slot
1: Chrono Trigger
2: Shenmue
3: Ninja Gaiden Black
4: Chrono Cross
5: Mass Effect
6: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
7: Fallout 3
8: Metal Gear Solid 3
9: Rez
10: Metriod Prime

Honorable Mentions: Bayonetta, Streets of Rage 2, Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle, Jet Set Radio, Super Mario 64.

GhaleonQ

Um, can I post pictures and explanations if I follow this year's Game Of The Year rules?

01-10: Wikipedia-styled lists
*space*
10. What I call the game
*picture*
*explanation*
09. et cetera

ZAnimus

1: Shadow of the Colossus
2: Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
3: Ico
4: Mass Effect 2
5: Halo 3
6: Metroid Prime
7: Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
8: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
9: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
10: Assassin's Creed 2

1. Sega Genesis - Phantasy Star 3 Generations of Doom
2. Atari 2600 - Popeye
3. Atari 2600 - Pitfall
4. NES - Super Mario Bros. 3
5. NES - Double Dribble
6. Sega Genesis - Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
7. Sega CD - Lunar: Eternal Blue
8. PS3 - Uncharted Drakes fortune
9. PSone - D
0. SNES - Super Mario Kart.

1: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
3: Super Mario Bros. 3
4: Civilization IV
5: Suikoden 2
6. TIE Fighter
7: Super Smash Bros.: Melee
8: Street Fighter II
9: Super Mario Galaxy 2
10: Ico

I admit my list makes no sense. Sometimes I favor the original; sometimes I favor the improved sequel.

The Next 10 (in no order): Demon's Souls, F-Zero GX, Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Donkey Kong Country 2, Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour, Metal Gear Solid, Fire Emblem 7.

EDIT: How the hell did I forget TIE Fighter?

2: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
3: Metroid Prime
4: Deus Ex
5: Half Life
6: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
7: Super Mario World
8: Halo: Combat Evolved
9: Resident Evil 4
10: Half Life 2

Honourable mentions:
Perfect Dark
Left 4 Dead 2
Half Life 2: Episode Two
Portal
Advance Wars: Black Hole Rising
Super Smash Bros Melee
F Zero GX

1)tie fighter
2)total annihilation
3)starcraft
4) Call of duty 4
5) Fallout 3
6) Street fighter 3: third strike
7) mortal kombat 2
8) suikoden 2
9) Chrono trigger
10) Doom

Only picking ONE game from a franchise.

1. Chrono Trigger
2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
3. Final Fantasy VI
4. Silent Hill 2
5. Resident Evil 2
6. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
7. Vagrant Story
8. Xenogears
9. Super Castlevania IV
10. Shadow of the Colossus

MYE

1: The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
2: The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
3: Super Mario Galaxy
4: Warcraft II
5: Super Mario World
6: Paper Mario
7: The Legend of Zelda Links Awakening
8: Final Fantasy 9
9: Shadow of the Colossus
10: Resident Evil 4

This was haaaaaaard!!!!!!!!!!!!

Corto

1: Outcast
2: Planescape: Torment
3: Dune
4: Ico
5: Shadow of the Colossus
6: Colin McRae Rally
7: Syndicate
8: Uncharted 2
9: Okami
10: Shenmue

By the end of next year Ico, Shadow of the Colossus will be higher I'm sure. The Last Guardian if it gets a 2011 release has a slot reserved already.

Ondore

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Earthbound
3. Super Mario Bros 3
4. Planet Puzzle League
5. Super Mario Galaxy
6. Final Fantasy IV
7. Zelda: Link to the Past
8. Pokemon Platinum
9. WWF No Mercy
10. Portal

Cofor

Neo Member
1: Super Metroid
2: Final Fantasy VI
3: Half Life 2
4: Chrono Trigger
5: Metroid Prime
6: F Zero GX
7: Doom II
8: Primal Rage
9: Half Life 2: Episode Two
10: Tetris

I think I'll be the only one to vote on Primal Rage.... such an awesome piece of software, damn.

Grayman

Discussion of my list above.

DOOM - I still play DOOM today.

Tie Fighter - A long time ago in an industry far far away video games were about giving as much as possible. Tie Fighter created a simulation of the Star Wars universe and crammed it full of as much content as possible. Oh, you also got to fly with Darth Vader.

Full Throttle - The classic Lucas Arts adventure game heads to the open road with a different style of story filled with action. Sam and Max would never climb into a junkyard to steel forks and even metalhead Hogie would not bash a cavefish's brains in with a two by four.

Fallout 2 - me and my party rolling around the desert in a highwayman fighting bandits. Even if I play the game similarly each time and do not reach the end I can always restart it and have a great time.

Grand Theft Auto San Andreas - The final chapter of the III series has a gigantic countryside to burn around in with a dirt bike. All of those games are great and deserve a nod but San Andreas has a gigantic countryside, a dirtbike, and Rebel Yell.

Final Fantasy Tactics - This game made random battles against mooks fun. I have spent ages just traveling around the map getting into fights.

Fire Pro Wrestling Returns - as a wrestling and mma sandbox the newest version of the franchise is not missing anything from previous entries. Fire Pro kept my interest for years after wrestling lost it. Matches are able to create a real heat and make myself and others mark out at what just happened.

Quake Live - Easy to hop into a game and start fragging. Today this is the Quake I am most likely to play. Q3 may have more maps, Quakeworld and Pro mode may have more attractive rules and physics, Quake 2 has the strongest nostalgia, Quake 4 is a neat mix of everything, but Quake Live is the one I am most likely to actually play.

Counter Strike - I never liked Counter Strike in beta. I thought the people who liked it were too dumb to play quake. I stayed away from CS for years while it got real life popular. This fall I started playing source to unwind and have been having a great time.

Asheron's Call - makes today's mmos seem like crap. Melee and missile auto attack actually felt good, movement was fast and tight, spells could be dodged. Even the fetch quests took place in interesting dungeons. The major quests gave a feeling of a real adventure. Landscape hunting was very enjoyable with a wide mix of monsters in any area some of which offering useful trophies. One quest had mazes, rolling balls of death, a no talking room, and a floor puzzle like indiana jones.

Gravijah

1: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
2: Pokemon Platinum
3: Legend of Mana
4: Metal Gear Solid 3
5: Final Fantasy VIII
6: Earthbound
7: Shadow of the Colossus
8: Chrono Trigger
9: Nier
10: Diablo II

I tried to keep it so I only had one game per series. My personal feelings also change a lot over time though so I'm sure this list would look different in even a few months.

01: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
02: Metal Gear Solid
03: Final Fantasy X
04: Super Mario 64
05: Goldeneye 007 (N64)
06: Valkyria Chronicles
07: Shadow of the Colossus
08: Chrono Trigger
09: Metroid Prime
10: Resident Evil 4

Why For?

Banned
1: Zelda OoT
2: Halo CE
3: God of War
4: Street Fighter 2
5: Daytona USA
6: Donkey Kong Country
7: Mario Kart 64
8: Doom
9: Virtua Fighter 2
10: Sonic The Hedgehog

kashwashwa

Neo Member
1: Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars
2: Wing Commander
3: ARMA 2
4: The Secret of Monkey Island
5: Shenmue
6: Super Street Fighter II Turbo
7: Quake
8: Starcraft II
9: Final Fantasy VII
10: Super Mario Bros. 3

btkadams

1. Pokemon Blue/Red
2. Starcraft
3. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
4. Metal Gear Solid
5. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
6. Timesplitters 2
7. The Sims
8. Okami
9. Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
10. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

i wish i could fit Sonic the Hedgehog 2 on there but i really can't take off any of those. they're all great.

Parley

Banned
1: World of Warcraft
2: Final Fantasy 12
3: Mass Effect 2
4: Vagrant Story
5: Metroid Prime
6: Resident Evil 4
7: Final Fantasy 6
8: Super Mario World
9: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
10: Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Clydefrog

1: Deus Ex
2: Half-Life
3: Ultima Online
4: Chrono Trigger
5: Doom
6: Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
7: Super Mario World
8: Ultima Underworld
9: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
10: Dungeon Keeper

edit: aaagh I had two 5's! had to take out Counter-Strike :(

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
GhaleonQ said:
Um, can I post pictures and explanations if I follow this year's Game Of The Year rules?

01-10: Wikipedia-styled lists
*space*
10. What I call the game
*picture*
*explanation*
09. et cetera

I'd just go ahead and do it. Inazuma Eleven isn't going to win in the count but at least if you do it there'll be an interesting post to read in the thread!

Kirk

1: Tetris Attack
2: Final Fantasy VI
3: Super Metroid
4: Super Mario Bros. 3
5: SimCity 4
6: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
7: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
8: Street Fighter II
9: Doom
10: Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride

DQV is just a pick for a representative from this wonderful series. I've never enjoyed the plot of a game more.

Doom is picked for how the game made me feel at the time. I never knew it was possible for a game to suck me in and frighten me to that extent before playing it.

Street Fighter II should probably be Turbo, actually, but I was unsure how to name it so in a consistent way. I've never had as much fun competing in the arcades as with this game.

LttP was a hard pick. I think I like the Zelda games as a series more than any individual game. But LttP just has a lot of depth and charm that put it at the top of the pile.

SotN could maybe have been higher. My favourite thing about this game is all of the hidden gems and lack of handholding. I played it to death, and much of what it had to offer I just figured out through trial and error. And the music is sublime.

SC4 may be the game I have put the most hours into. I'm just a city planning nerd. I've played every numbered SimCity game extensively, and for me, the more detail, the better.

SMB3 was another hard pick from a great series. I chose it because it was the most revolutionary to me, although from an objective standpoint SM64 was probably more revolutionary. SMB3 still had tightness and precision to its controls, which is one thing that was sort of lost in 3D.

Super Metroid has its flaws (length and difficulty) but it probably has some of the best atmosphere of any game. I think a lot of modern game design also draws inspiration from decisions that were started with Metroid 1, but truly honed in Super Metroid. Also it was admirable for the way in which it taught you how to use your powers, especially the "undocumented" ones.

Final Fantasy VI is an easy one for me to choose if I have to pick my favourite FF game. It defines FF to me, since I'm a fan of the classic Amano / Uematsu team-up and I feel like the stuff that was brought in with Nomura's influence in FFVII changed the series for the worse. It's also amazing that a game with such a huge number of bugs can be so enjoyable. Great graphics, plot, characters, and music, along with a fun and varied battle system.

Tetris Attack is the most underrated game ever. In terms of raw competition, to me it's the chess of video games. No other game can strip away everything else and measure who possesses the most skill in interpreting a screen, making a strategic decision, and relaying the decision to his fingers in the space of a fraction of a second. Fighting games are good at this, but they don't have this level of abstraction, and there's always the vagaries of character selection and so on. 'tack is pure.

Runners up:
Soul Calibur
Red Dead Redemption
Civilization IV
Pokemon Platinum
Rock Band

Mar

1: Burnout Paradise
2: Silent Hill 2
3: The Last Ninja
4: Super Monkey Ball
5: Quake II
6: Ultimate Ghosts 'n' Goblins
7: Bubble Bobble
8: Space Giraffe
9: Bayonetta
10: Super Castlevania IV

Fredescu

My list is unchanged for now. The games that shaped the way I look at and play video games, rather than the objective best if such a thing is possible.

1. Half Life 2
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. Zelda: A link to the past
4. Age of Empires 2
5. The Witcher
6. Doom 2
7. Everquest
8. Scarab of Ra
9. Super Mario Kart
10. Castle of the Winds

Anth0ny

1. Majora's Mask
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Super Smash Bros Melee
4. Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow
5. Banjo Kazooie
6. Super Mario 64
7. Pokemon G/S/C
8. Diddy Kong Racing
9. Resident Evil 4
10. Metal Gear Solid 3

Majora's Mask- Will always be my greatest game of all time, I think. Just perfect in almost every way.

Ocarina of Time- Actually played this after MM (and wind waker), and god damn I love it. But the characters and theme of Majora's Mask put it ahead slightly. If MM is a 10, OOT is a 9.99.

Super Smash Bros Melee- By far my most played game of all time, having maxed out the game clock at 999 hours. No game has given me more laughs with friends than Melee, and it's still in my Wii as I type this. I feel like I'll never get sick of this game, ever.

Pokemon RBY- Obviously nostalgia involved with this pick, but god damn do I love the charm of this game. Probably my most beaten game of all time, I've finished it over 20 times. And I plan on beating it again next week, catching all 151 Pokemon in the process =D

Banjo Kazooie- Of Rare's many masterpieces on the N64, Banjo Kazooie was the star of stars. Many say it's a collectathon and inferior to Mario 64, but I felt the music, engine, stages, characters, graphics, moves and damn near everything else was superior to Mario 64. Not by a lot though...

Super Mario 64- It's fucking close between Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie, as they're both fantastic games. I remember getting Mario 64 as a kid with my N64, playing the shit out of it, and loving every moment. I love Mario Galaxy (2 would probably be #11 on my list), but the exploration aspect that I loved in Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie has somewhat been lost I feel like. But people will just tell me I'm wearing rose tinted goggles.
and dire dire docks is the best music in the history of mario games

Pokemon GSC- If I could, I'd put HG/SS alongside it, but I don't think I can. For now, I'll stick with the original. Such an amazing game that was superior to RBY in pretty much every way, but the nostalgia is too strong! Speaking of nostalgia, visiting Kanto in GSC was one of the first major nostalgia moments I've ever had in my life.

Diddy Kong Racing- The 2nd of Rare's N64 era masterpieces in my list. I remember going into it with low expectations after playing Mario Kart 64 (nothing could top that!)... and was blown away. Better graphics, great characters, better 1P mode, bosses, overworld, and most importantly... non random items! That was probably my favorite change between DKR and MK64. It introduced a whole new aspect of skill that Mario Kart just didn't have. It became the dominant kart racer between my friends and I, and it's in my N64 as we speak. Please make a proper sequel... Nintendo? Rare? I don't even know =(

Resident Evil 4- The Gamecube kinda disappointed me. I mean, I love Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker, but they didn't reach the level of their predecessors on my list above. So when RE4 was announced at E3, I remember watching the demos over and over and over. It just looked fucking perfect. The controls looked amazing, graphics were Xbox level (*gasp*), and I knew I was going to pick it up day one. Hell, I remember importing a Japanese magazine just so I could play the demo a few months early (my first internet purchase!). Needless to say, I was FUCKING HYPE. So when the game finally came out, my expectations were through the roof. I played the game, and god damn mother fucker MY BODY WAS NOT READY. Never have I hyped a game so much only to still be completely blown away (tsk tsk Twilight Princess and Brawl). RE5 ain't got shit on RE4, and I want an HD port asap.

Metal Gear Solid 3- I was a late bloomer to the MGS series. In fact, I finally decided to play the entire franchise in 2007. MGS1 was a masterpiece, and is certainly in my top 20. MGS2 was great too. Then came MGS3. The setting immediately caught my interest, as it did for many. Big Boss was a fantastic protagonist, and the gameplay, art direction, environment, characters and the bosses (OH GOD THE BOSSES) were the best in the history of MGS. The finale is one of the things in gaming that I will never forget. Never has a game brought me to the verge of tears like MGS3 has, and none have since.

1. Warhawk
2. Uncharted 2
3. Resident Evil 2
4. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
5. FF X
6. Timesplitters 2
7. Super Mario World
8. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
9. FF IX
10. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Off the top of my head anyway.

Mar

Stumpokapow said:
It's a pity we're not going with discussion, one of the reasons why this year's GOTY thread was a significantly better read than previous years was because people actually put an effort into their posts. Personally I find the voting pretty secondary to reading peoples opinions. *shrugs*

On this point. I find it hard to talk about all the games in my list because most of them have been there for a good 10 years or so and I've already talked about them to death. Repeating the same lines over and over again becomes tiring.

anaron

1. Ocarina of Time
2. Silent Hill 2
3. Resident Evil 2
4. Final Fantasy VI
5. Silent Hill 1
6. Final Fantasy IX
7. Majora's Mask
8. Starcraft
9. Diablo 2
10. Parasite Eve

1: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
2: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
3: Resident Evil 4
4: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
5: Metal Gear Solid 4
6: Metal Gear Solid 3
7: Metroid Prime
8: Metal Gear Solid
9: Super Mario Galaxy
10: LittleBigPlanet

Tain

Managing the absolute best is a nightmare. List subject to change every five minutes.

1: Mushihimesama Futari 1.5
2: Half-Life
3: Quake III
4: Deus Ex
5: Ketsui
6: Street Fighter III Third Strike
7: R-Type
8: Final Fight
9: Bubble Bobble
10: Doom

god, there are just too many. And I really don't care about that order!

What's new here is Doom. ManDoom gave me a new level of respect for it, and I always held the game pretty highly. The fact that the game holds up so well under a more demanding retry structure is a huge plus.

GhaleonQ

Kirk said:
Tetris Attack is the most underrated game ever. In terms of raw competition, to me it's the chess of video games. No other game can strip away everything else and measure who possesses the most skill in interpreting a screen, making a strategic decision, and relaying the decision to his fingers in the space of a fraction of a second. Fighting games are good at this, but they don't have this level of abstraction, and there's always the vagaries of character selection and so on. 'tack is pure.

I haven't decided on what'll probably be my 2nd-to-last list necessary (excluding new games), but my 2009 list had the Gamecube version of Panepon on it. Nintendo Puzzle Collection is Japan-only, but it's great, there might even be a patch, and it's my favorite iteration of the game. I HIGHLY recommend getting it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Mar said:
On this point. I find it hard to talk about all the games in my list because most of them have been there for a good 10 years or so and I've already talked about them to death. Repeating the same lines over and over again becomes tiring.

Dig up all the posts you've talked about them in and link them! Or if they've been covered by other writers, link them! GameSpite probably covered your favourite NES and SNES games, HCG101 if you're talking adventure or Japanese games, maybe there's a wikia, maybe a good GameFAQs review, maybe a great fansite, maybe someone wrote a ten page article dedicated to one level of the game. Maybe there's a great Youtube video, Classic Games Room HD is a pretty good place to start for more mainstream stuff!

oracrest

1. Super Metroid
2. Shadow of the Colossus
3. Demon's Souls
4. Monster Hunter
5. Out of this World/Another World
6. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
7. Planescape: Torment
8. Ico
9. Rez
10. Metal Gear Solid

Runner-up:
11. Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike

jkanownik

2: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
3: Diablo 2
4: Civilization II
5: Super Metroid
6: Tetris
7: Guitar Hero II
8: Grand Theft Auto III
9: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
10: Pokemon Red/Blue

HM: X-Wing vs Tie Fighter
HM: Red Dead Redemption
HM: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
HM: Call of Duty:: Modern Warfare 2
HM: Gears of War

Einbroch

Banned
1. Secret of Mana
2. Star Ocean: The Second Story
3. Ragnarok Online
4. Valkyrie Profile
5. EverQuest
6. Final Fantasy VI
7. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
8. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
9. Mass Effect
10. Super Metroid

deim0s

1: Ultima VI
2: MechWarrior
3: Quake
4: Metal Gear Solid
5: Civilization
6: Dawn of War
7: Monster Hunter Freedom 2
8: Mass Effect 2
9: Homeworld
10: Thief

More of a PC centric list...

Oh yeah, the original MechWarrior is the one made by Dynamix. Quick runners up are Fallout, Half-life, Diablo II, Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn and Gradius II.

babenhausen

Neo Member
1: Ogre Battle - The March of the Black Queen
2: Dragon Quest VIII
3: Tetris Attack
4: Heroes of Might and Magic III
5: Final Fantasy Tactics
6: Tactics Ogre
7: Starcraft
8: Donkey Kong Country 2
9: Chrono Trigger
10: Dragon Quest IV

Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen - Something about this game keeps me playing it. A certain sort of connection that I can't explain. I still play it often.

Dragon Quest VIII - Charming.

Tetris Attack - It only takes another friend or two really getting into this game to get you going. Then it never stops. Whenever I see the word 'Nintendo' I hear it like it is said when you start up Tetris Attack.

Heroes of Might and Magic III - Time-Consuming in the best kind of way. Turn-based crack.

Final Fantasy Tactics - Love Job Points.

Tactics Ogre - Familiar characters(and music!) got me to play this game and I've gone on to give a lot of money to Nippon Ichi because of it.

Starcraft - My Middle School years. All of them.

Donkey Kong Country 2 - My favorite platformer. Collecting everything in the game without any help was a milestone for me.

Chrono Trigger - I just noticed that I kind of went SNES heavy with my list. Can't leave Frog and Robo out.

Dragon Quest IV - Big fan of the tried and true Dragon Quest formula, and I feel that this had the best cast of all of them.

Top Bottom