• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Jooxed

Gold Member
trigger warning

DKfjD9r.jpg

-Arcadia-

Banned
I think that like Witcher 3 after a few patches, there’s a really good sharpening solution here, or the game spends more time at the higher resolutions in its handheld range.

You never, ever want to be talking about how your 2020 game can crash to sub-SD, and yet the GameExplain examples aren’t really that bothersome. Some of the pictures others have posted don’t come off quite as well, but still seem dealable with.

I think the art style and some really quality visuals (outside of resolution) also help here, both with this and being 720p in Docked, which isn’t exactly a cutting-edge resolution at this point.

It’s hard for me to get a bead on this game. Sometimes it doesn’t look much upgraded from its Wii incarnation, other times, it looks absolutely fantastic. If it can consistently lean towards the latter, with some really impressive upgrades, and the handheld presentation stays at an okay level, I think it should ultimately be a really, really nice looking game.

That was the case for 2 in Docked. You had an underwhelming resolution (particularly in handheld, where everything went to crap), but you were getting back some really gorgeous, large-scale visuals for it.

On the other hand, if it doesn’t look much upgraded from Wii, and has this collapsed resolution. :messenger_hushed:

I think that like Witcher 3 after a few patches, there’s a really good sharpening solution here, or the game spends more time at the higher resolutions in its handheld range.

You never, ever want to be talking about how your 2020 game can crash to sub-SD, and yet the GameExplain examples aren’t really that bothersome. Some of the pictures others have posted don’t come off quite as well, but still seem dealable with.

I think the art style and some really quality visuals (outside of resolution) also help here, both with this and being 720p in Docked, which isn’t exactly a cutting-edge resolution at this point.

It’s hard for me to get a bead on this game. Sometimes it doesn’t look much upgraded from its Wii incarnation, other times, it looks absolutely fantastic. If it can consistently lean towards the latter, with some really impressive upgrades, and the handheld presentation stays at an okay level, I think it should ultimately be a really, really nice looking game.

That was the case for 2 in Docked. You had an underwhelming resolution (particularly in handheld, where everything went to crap), but you were getting back some really gorgeous, large-scale visuals for it.

On the other hand, if it doesn’t look much upgraded from Wii, and has this collapsed resolution. :messenger_hushed:

Did the Wii version ever dip below 640x480? Was it even widescreen on the Wii?

I decided not to get this due to the shocking resolution. I already have this on the 3ds, and this just isn’t good enough from monolith. Nintendo do need to scrap the switch and bring out a more powerful console. I want zelda and mario in 4k, not under 1080p with last last gen graphics.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Did the Wii version ever dip below 640x480? Was it even widescreen on the Wii?

We didn’t really have dynamic resolution back then. The first time I noticed it was Halo 5, not sure if that was the first game to put it to use or not.

So locked SD resolution, and I would imagine it does that thing all (?) Wii games do where it’s widescreen, but there’s an imperceptible pixel stretch to help pull it off.

I decided not to get this due to the shocking resolution. I already have this on the 3ds, and this just isn’t good enough from monolith. Nintendo do need to scrap the switch and bring out a more powerful console. I want zelda and mario in 4k, not under 1080p with last last gen graphics.

This is why I keep track of posters with notable troll behavior. So I don’t fall for stuff like this, lol.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

That's the thing with the Switch though, I think in some ways it's intentionally a bit low-powered and short on space, to fit what Nintendo do, their particular art style, their approach with gameplay as a focus instead of cinematics (so no 40GB of cutscenes and voice acting) - I have long believed that limitations create great art and the Switch is an example of this, so developers need to wrap their heads around the best way to work with that, but also to accept that they can't necessarily do what they do on the PC or other consoles and that's no bad thing.

-Arcadia-

Banned
That's the thing with the Switch though, I think in some ways it's intentionally a bit low-powered and short on space, to fit what Nintendo do, their particular art style, their approach with gameplay as a focus instead of cinematics (so no 40GB of cutscenes and voice acting) - I have long believed that limitations create great art and the Switch is an example of this, so developers need to wrap their heads around the best way to work with that, but also to accept that they can't necessarily do what they do on the PC or other consoles and that's no bad thing.

I agree, but I don’t think they intentionally limit anything. They budget out the most attractive product they can make for a mainstream price, and that ends up informing the art.

That’s the (ugh) secret sauce with less-capable hardware. Create specifically for it.

As you point out, Monolith Soft seems to have some trouble with that. They really seem to care about Docked, and using everything the Switch has to create a really gorgeous, next-level presentation, and whatever happens to portable mode, happens. Even if they’ve gotten better with that.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I agree, but I don’t think they intentionally limit anything. They budget out the most attractive product they can make for a mainstream price, and that ends up informing the art.

That’s the (ugh) secret sauce with less-capable hardware. Create specifically for it.

As you point out, Monolith Soft seems to have some trouble with that. They really seem to care about Docked, and using everything the Switch has to create a really gorgeous, next-level presentation, and whatever happens to portable mode, happens. Even if they’ve gotten better with that.

You're probably right that they don't intentionally limit things, perhaps it might be better to say that they figure out experiences they want to bring people and figure out the most financially accessible way to get those experiences to market, and 3rd parties have to work around that (though with how many indie games have been ported it seems they've been more 3rd-party friendly than usual in that at least the system is reasonably straightforward to build for). As it is, whether by design or not, I think those weaknesses have ended up being strengths as they have encouraged developers not to bloat their games and instead build games rather than movies, or at least based on what I've played so far it seems that way. I've still got a lot of exploring to do on this magical little box so I could be wrong.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I think Xenoblade looks fine, people complaining about the subpar res are just looking for excuses to not buy it.

Not sure I'd go that far - some people find that kind of thing harder to tolerate than others - on the other hand I'm a guy who still has a good time playing old 16-bit stuff so I'm less bothered by the technical side - if the artistic side, the art style, is ok then it's not a big deal if technically it lacks. We're kinda at that point of diminishing returns where upping the tech level with more polygons, more resolution, etc doesn't really do much other than increase development costs.

I'll get XC:DE but I'm just kind of burned out on Switch JRPGS atm. I still got DQXI:S, two chapter 4's in Octopath, and Pokemon Shield to go through. :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying:

DESTROYA

Not sure I'd go that far - some people find that kind of thing harder to tolerate than others - on the other hand I'm a guy who still has a good time playing old 16-bit stuff so I'm less bothered by the technical side - if the artistic side, the art style, is ok then it's not a big deal if technically it lacks. We're kinda at that point of diminishing returns where upping the tech level with more polygons, more resolution, etc doesn't really do much other than increase development costs.
Maybe I’m not too picky about graphics but as long as it performs well and at a steady frame rate I’m good.

So Deadly Premonition 2 is still slated for an early July release date. Think that's going to hold up? We haven't seen anything on the game in a while...................

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So Deadly Premonition 2 is still slated for an early July release date. Think that's going to hold up? We haven't seen anything on the game in a while...................

I wouldn't be surprised. I don't know about DP2, but there are definitely some other relatively major games that are coming out way sooner than expected despite radio silence.

DESTROYA

both of the above I target had them for 215$ which is the lowest ive seen them
Have you gone all digital?
I have 256GB card from the beginning and it’s less than half full, then again I’ve only bought a handful of eshop games and always go physical when possible

Jooxed

Gold Member
Have you gone all digital?
I have 256GB card from the beginning and it’s less than half full, then again I’ve only bought a handful of eshop games and always go physical when possible

I try to go physical whenever possible but I have about 90 games, games like warframe MK11 and the incoming Borderlands/Bioshock take up 30gigs each.

Last edited:

Zannegan

The more I play Mario Maker 2 the more I love it. With all of the free updates it really is the ultimate 2d Mario game. Damn near infinite replay value.

I also finally finished my BL playthrough on Three Houses. I got put off by the final mission because I knew it would take me forever to finish which it did take me nearly 2 hours on hard mode for a first run. It wasn't that difficult it just took forever to kill over 50 dudes.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The more I play Mario Maker 2 the more I love it. With all of the free updates it really is the ultimate 2d Mario game. Damn near infinite replay value.

It's definitely on my buy list. Zelda arrives tomorrow but then I'll probably want to pause buying for a bit, I've got a lot on my plate with Mario Kart, Pokemon Shield, Mario Bros U Deluxe, Odyssey, Streets Of Rage 4 plus my PC gaming, the ST Format challenge and iRacing on the go.

Andyliini

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - Remastered Edition launches in August, at least in Japan. Japan also gets physical edition, so I hope it has english option included if West is denied such release.

It's definitely on my buy list. Zelda arrives tomorrow but then I'll probably want to pause buying for a bit, I've got a lot on my plate with Mario Kart, Pokemon Shield, Mario Bros U Deluxe, Odyssey, Streets Of Rage 4 plus my PC gaming, the ST Format challenge and iRacing on the go.

I got Pokemon Shield a while back because I'm interested in the isle of armor dlc. I'm surprisingly kind of liking it. I'm actually finding it a bit more difficult then X/Y or ORAS. I never played the gen 7 games.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I got Pokemon Shield a while back because I'm interested in the isle of armor dlc. I'm surprisingly kind of liking it. I'm actually finding it a bit more difficult then X/Y or ORAS. I never played the gen 7 games.

It's kinda ended up being my go-to relaxing chill game tbh - it's good fun but it's also a nice place to just chillax. Zelda arrived yesterday and that's looking a bit more challenging - the durability of weapons is already pissing me off though.

It's kinda ended up being my go-to relaxing chill game tbh - it's good fun but it's also a nice place to just chillax. Zelda arrived yesterday and that's looking a bit more challenging - the durability of weapons is already pissing me off though.

Ya, I mean catching Pokemon is still fun and I do like the wild area even though it doesn't look all that great lol. Some of the towns do actually look good and it does run at 1080p docked so it's a clean image.

I think that if GF can pull off Isle of Armor and Tundra then they might really turn SW/SH into great games. Plus I actually like the idea of just paying $30 for an expansion pass rather then pay full price for a brand new definitive version title like SU/MO and ultra SU/MO.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Ya, I mean catching Pokemon is still fun and I do like the wild area even though it doesn't look all that great lol. Some of the towns do actually look good and it does run at 1080p docked so it's a clean image.

I think that if GF can pull off Isle of Armor and Tundra then they might really turn SW/SH into great games. Plus I actually like the idea of just paying $30 for an expansion pass rather then pay full price for a brand new definitive version title like SU/MO and ultra SU/MO.

I have no issues with the visuals tbh - I accept the Switch has less power than other consoles but the benefit is that it encourages a bit of creativity with art styles. Honestly I have been wowed by games on the Switch in ways that vastly more graphically complex things on my PC have just left me feeling meh.

Shaqazooloo

“The upcoming Switch version of World War Z is actually more challenging than the port of The Witcher 3!

We are big fans of the Nintendo Switch and feel there is still a lot of great potential in the hardware and the platform. We have had enormous success so far, launching many titles on the Switch, and we are continuing to develop for the platform. We do feel there is more developers can get out of the Switch hardware, and we think fans will be surprised at some of the upcoming titles for it.”

Jooxed

Gold Member

“The upcoming Switch version of World War Z is actually more challenging than the port of The Witcher 3!

We are big fans of the Nintendo Switch and feel there is still a lot of great potential in the hardware and the platform. We have had enormous success so far, launching many titles on the Switch, and we are continuing to develop for the platform. We do feel there is more developers can get out of the Switch hardware, and we think fans will be surprised at some of the upcoming titles for it.”

Looking forward to this port myself! Think it will be a lot of fun. Saber and Virtuous have stepped it up along with Panic Button.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Newly Vacant Newly Vacant

I know you have the same setup as me switch lite as your "primary" switch and OG switch as secondary for mostly docked play. The place I ordered the 1 tb micro sd only had one in stock so they only shipped one and I picked up a 512 to replace my 400. Which do I use were if you were me.

At first I was leaning towards the tb stick in my TV switch but the more I think about it having it in my portable one sounds nice.

Top Bottom