• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Shaqazooloo

GV82

Is it delayed because of the Coronavirus?

So I read the other Day Nintendo said they are having stock issues due to the Corona Virus in Japan only at the moment right?

Japan also has a Direct and I doubt they would have a NA & EU Direct without the Japanese one, they would probably like to have them simultaneously right?

It would be awkward holding a direct, hyping up the audience only for the consoles not to be available especially with the parts of the directs that tell you “available to download today” but in Japan Unless you own a Switch you can’t go buy one.

I’m guessing the Direct was due already by now this month.

I read an article randomly through my newsfeed (which I can’t find a link to) saying it could have an impact which could last 1 -2 months and some electronic manufacturers will consider sending production to Vietnam and some other countries, some at a cost increase of $5-10 more per item, I wonder if that’s possible for Nintendo to do so? and if so when they do, then I believe we will be back ontrack for a Direct and fresh supply of consoles, unless the screens used are only made in China, then I guess the waiting continues.

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

At this point I'm willing to believe the idea that the Direct got delayed for some reason. Theirs been too many signs of an upcoming Direct for one not to happen.

Don't know if it could've been because of something Coronavirus related but I guess it would be the only thing that makes sense at this point.

Okay, checking if a Direct was announced...

giphy.gif

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth day, at dawn look to the east and there may be a Nintendo Direct.

giphy.gif

#Phonepunk#

Banned
the news that they'll be at E3 was hype enough. i don't think they would go unless they had some rad stuff to show off.

really exciting that we haven't seen any footage of a lot of games we know are under development. it's going to be so insane when they start dropping these megatons.

DonF

Oh man... The switch was my first nintendo console since the N64 ...I got it like 3 months after launch. I was so optimistic about it. Now I'm full of negativity, dread and disappointment.

I love my switch, but I hate nintendo. I got it mainly for the exclusives.

Oh a mainline pokemon game on a main console?! Wow! I'm ready...wait no im not the game is trash, I drop it when I have 5 badges cause honestly I'm not having fun. Where is bayo 3 ? Oh ok, Astral Chain was announced a year later than bayo yet it already released..? ok. Where is metroid prime? oh, it was announced that the development was fucked and its just now in development...oh ok.

Currently is my smash machine. I can't complain cause I freaking love smash, but fuck nintendo is frustrating as fuck. Also, Fuck they don't dropping prices of old ass games.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Oh man... The switch was my first nintendo console since the N64 ...I got it like 3 months after launch. I was so optimistic about it. Now I'm full of negativity, dread and disappointment.

I love my switch, but I hate nintendo. I got it mainly for the exclusives.

Oh a mainline pokemon game on a main console?! Wow! I'm ready...wait no im not the game is trash, I drop it when I have 5 badges cause honestly I'm not having fun. Where is bayo 3 ? Oh ok, Astral Chain was announced a year later than bayo yet it already released..? ok. Where is metroid prime? oh, it was announced that the development was fucked and its just now in development...oh ok.

Currently is my smash machine. I can't complain cause I freaking love smash, but fuck nintendo is frustrating as fuck. Also, Fuck they don't dropping prices of old ass games.

Man I am the opposite I have a huge switch backlog right now. I pretty much buy every major third party port that comes out on it too. Switch is making me play genres I normally wouldn’t touch before strictly because of the portability factor.

wheras I’m hungry for a direct I think I have about 50 unplayed games lol

DonF

Man I am the opposite I have a huge switch backlog right now. I pretty much buy every major third party port that comes out on it too. Switch is making me play genres I normally wouldn’t touch before strictly because of the portability factor.

wheras I’m hungry for a direct I think I have about 50 unplayed games lol
I've noted that my main problem with it is that I got it just for the exclusives. I prefer to play third party games on the ps4 pro. I own a 55" 4k tv, and games simply look better on ps4 pro. Also, they tend to be cheaper! a two for one.
Im also not a fan of ALL nintendo exclusives, I couldnt be bothered with kirby, yoshi or even animal crossing, although I'm waiting for reviews on that one, I might give it a chance.

I got cuphead on it which is nice. I had it on pc but its great to have that on the go. A quick boss on my commute.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
This is stupid for a wait but... it’s also no coincidence this is the year that the PS5 and Xbox launch.

They are likely saving up some big bombs to combat this.

I just hope they break the silence soon...

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
This is stupid for a wait but... it’s also no coincidence this is the year that the PS5 and Xbox launch.

They are likely saving up some big bombs to combat this.

I just hope they break the silence soon...

The big 3 waiting for someone to drop a bomb first

GrimyBlackArkshell-size_restricted.gif

Isaak

Neo Member
Not to rub it in, but:

5 months, 8 days since the last one. Fuck it, let's go for 6 months and have the biggest direct ever.
Makes you wonder what's up over at NIntendo HQ.

I remember back in the Gamecube days when they used to release one Mario Party game per year.
Now they barely manage to release one Mario themed game each year that is not a port.

Makes you wonder what's up over at NIntendo HQ.

I remember back in the Gamecube days when they used to release one Mario Party game per year.
Now they barely manage to release one Mario themed game each year that is not a port.

That's a symptom of the entire industry. Remember when we got 3 GTAs in the PS2 era, then 2 in the PS3, and none in the current generation? We got Uncharted 1-3 in the PS3 and then just 4 for the PS4. Or like a billion Ratchet games then, but just one one now. Development cycles just take way too long and Switch games usually continue to sell well (at full price no less) for a long time.

StormCell

That's a symptom of the entire industry. Remember when we got 3 GTAs in the PS2 era, then 2 in the PS3, and none in the current generation? We got Uncharted 1-3 in the PS3 and then just 4 for the PS4. Or like a billion Ratchet games then, but just one one now. Development cycles just take way too long and Switch games usually continue to sell well (at full price no less) for a long time.

Can't help but feel they are making it unnecessarily complicated, though. This latest Mario Party is lacking in content, by comparison, and it can't be blamed on the visual fidelity when even older generation games dress up quite nicely with a resolution bump. Does it really take them longer to make Mario Odyssey than it took them to make Mario Sunshine or Galaxy? Are they really incapable of offering new Mario Party content because it's taking longer to produce it?

I think there's a lot more focus on coming up with new concepts rather than just releasing new content. We had 3 DKC games during the SNES generation. We're not even getting one this time around, as far as we know...

-Arcadia-

Banned
Does it really take them longer to make Mario Odyssey than it took them to make Mario Sunshine or Galaxy?

Absolutely. While both are cartoony games, the level of detail and complexity in visuals/animation have extremely increased, and that means a lot more work to be done.

From a gameplay perspective too, although I would consider this a minus for the game, certainly these worlds are more dense than ever before, with literally 20 times more Stars/Moons in some levels.

Personally, I don’t know if I wouldn’t just prefer lower fidelity games and more of them, but that’s probably not an option for Nintendo and Mario, where such games are the face of their multi-billion dollar business, and need to look as high-production value as possible.

Maestr0

You know what's even worse than waiting for the next Nintendo Direct, is waiting for MetroÏd Prime 4...... with the announcement and the reboot..... I'm dying over here

StormCell

Absolutely. While both are cartoony games, the level of detail and complexity in visuals/animation have extremely increased, and that means a lot more work to be done.

From a gameplay perspective too, although I would consider this a minus for the game, certainly these worlds are more dense than ever before, with literally 20 times more Stars/Moons in some levels.

Personally, I don’t know if I wouldn’t just prefer lower fidelity games and more of them, but that’s probably not an option for Nintendo and Mario, where such games are the face of their multi-billion dollar business, and need to look as high-production value as possible.

I'm just having trouble seeing it. As a developer, I lean towards appreciating the amount of time required for things that are hard to see or quantify in work scope, but we're talking about HD textures and renderings causing games to take whole additional years to make. When I last played Sunshine (less than 5 years ago), it didn't feel any smaller in scope or density than Odyssey. The levels in Odyssey may be empirically bigger and yet they actually failed to be bigger than Sunshine's levels. How is this?

Jooxed

Gold Member

Looks like a great switch Port.. Pre ordered as well

Mr Hyde

I have Darksiders Genesis in my mailbox at home waiting for me so im looking forward to that.

If you're up for it, it would be nice if you could write down some impressions, like performance and such in docked and portable. The game looks fun and the Diablo-esque gameplay seems like a cool take on the Darksiders-universe.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I'm just having trouble seeing it. As a developer, I lean towards appreciating the amount of time required for things that are hard to see or quantify in work scope, but we're talking about HD textures and renderings causing games to take whole additional years to make. When I last played Sunshine (less than 5 years ago), it didn't feel any smaller in scope or density than Odyssey. The levels in Odyssey may be empirically bigger and yet they actually failed to be bigger than Sunshine's levels. How is this?

I really don’t mean to be rude, but I don’t see a way around this reply. Glasses.

Cartoon, realistic... games look incredibly better now than games three generations ago, even on this less powerful portable-centric hardware.

SVcYwAN.jpg

bkU9Yrg.jpg

3O4tDQ4.jpg

jNj60k1.jpg

Can't help but feel they are making it unnecessarily complicated, though. This latest Mario Party is lacking in content, by comparison, and it can't be blamed on the visual fidelity when even older generation games dress up quite nicely with a resolution bump. Does it really take them longer to make Mario Odyssey than it took them to make Mario Sunshine or Galaxy? Are they really incapable of offering new Mario Party content because it's taking longer to produce it?

I think there's a lot more focus on coming up with new concepts rather than just releasing new content. We had 3 DKC games during the SNES generation. We're not even getting one this time around, as far as we know...

I mean there are probably a lot of studies involving parabola graphs about how often they need to release new games. Current games are still selling, the console is still selling, so there's no rush? Is it frustrating? Normally, maybe. But I can't be frustrated after what they did in the second half last year. That was a relentless assault of steady new stuff coming out and it was all killer.

Jooxed

Gold Member
If you're up for it, it would be nice if you could write down some impressions, like performance and such in docked and portable. The game looks fun and the Diablo-esque gameplay seems like a cool take on the Darksiders-universe.

sure man ill throw something up tonight or tomorrow.

Narasumas

The big 3 waiting for someone to drop a bomb first

GrimyBlackArkshell-size_restricted.gif
I honestly think this post gets it right....but at some point, they will have to give fans an outlook to 2020 beyond what they currently have done. I just don’t think they can wait till E3....at least, I hope not.

Looks like a great switch Port.. Pre ordered as well
Yeah, this alone def has me interested. Think I’ll also put some money down on it today!

Last edited:

StormCell

To add to that post, as a developer (as wary as I am of people claiming this), you should understand how much work goes into the smallest visual features, let alone differences of that magnitude.

I don't perceive your response as rude because I don't confuse it for malice. I feel like your response undershot my question, anyway, and I already know there's a few software devs on here from talking on the Discord, so maybe I thought I'd get some thoughtful responses from that corner. We're both operating on assumptions when it comes to how much time in the development life cycle the visuals are requiring -- whether that is really the thing that is pushing out release dates.

What fuels your wariness towards people claiming to be software developers? Is this the opposite of imposter syndrome where a person observes and suspects those around them of pretending to be software devs???

Last edited:

StormCell

I mean there are probably a lot of studies involving parabola graphs about how often they need to release new games. Current games are still selling, the console is still selling, so there's no rush? Is it frustrating? Normally, maybe. But I can't be frustrated after what they did in the second half last year. That was a relentless assault of steady new stuff coming out and it was all killer.

This seems like it could be a lot closer to the truth as Nintendo, for one, has shown a concern for market saturation with their content, even their retro content.

And I do agree that there was a ton of new content in the second half. I'm not keeping pace with them and have chosen to limit my interests to certain types of games. If I really want a new game, there's always Astral Chain or Bayonetta, or even third party games I haven't touched. We're just wondering what Nintendo is working on and quietly hoping for a big surprise. They're having some issues with getting certain games completed, though.

We're just wondering what Nintendo is working on and quietly hoping for a big surprise. They're having some issues with getting certain games completed, though.

Yeah, some of the announced games are taking a bit long indeed. Makes me wonder how awful was that Bandai Metroid Prime if they had to throw it away and start from scratch.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Yeah, some of the announced games are taking a bit long indeed. Makes me wonder how awful was that Bandai Metroid Prime if they had to throw it away and start from scratch.

I always assumed it was because of the rumor they had multiple studios working on it, it must be tough trying to piecemeal a game together from multiple different sources.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I sometimes think I've been spoiled. I dunno the last time I touched a (original) Game Boy, but who would've thought more than twenty years ago that it would be possible to play the grand games we've seen on the Switch, portable?

I try to keep reminding myself of this, and not to take it for granted.

We literally started out on a tiny black and white display, playing side-scrollers.

Now we have a full 6.2” (or 5.5”) display blasting out visuals, and worlds that were beyond our wildest dreams back then, even on console.

wyLOUh4.jpg

70GTvxz.jpg

ZoolNL

I try to keep reminding myself of this, and not to take it for granted.

We literally started out on a tiny black and white display, playing side-scrollers.

Now we have a full 6.2” (or 5.5”) display blasting out visuals, and worlds that were beyond our wildest dreams back then, even on console.

wyLOUh4.jpg

70GTvxz.jpg
Still going from left to right. Downscaling and upscaling is always possible. I still haven’t seen game which were impossible a generation before the current generation(s) (minus graphics).... which saddens me.

daveonezero

Banned
Still going from left to right. Downscaling and upscaling is always possible. I still haven’t seen game which were impossible a generation before the current generation(s) (minus graphics).... which saddens me.
This is always the case. Its always incremental. Things are always possible. Its just how easy is it to get the hardware to do what the development team wants it to. This is the amazing thing about video games. its a huge team art project.

The Switch makes me feel like back in the day when I had a Sega Game Gear. Its a huge difference in screen and quality of games though.

I know I’m owed nothing, but I’m feeling very annoyed there hasn’t been any new info on Animal Crossing or Xenoblade. I’m desperate for a direct at this point.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Maybe an animal crossing direct next week, If you believe Emily tweets but again we shall see...fingers crossed -Arcadia- -Arcadia- :)

I know Shaqazooloo Shaqazooloo doesn’t like her very much, :messenger_tears_of_joy:, but she has a pretty good track record in recent years. The one that I got onto her about, saying that Platinum was shopping around Wonderful 101 to publishers, looks like it ended up being true.

If she thinks this, I think there’s a pretty solid chance of it happening.

Top Bottom