• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Capcom's efforts seemed low imo, and i'm not calling them lazy but rather they didn't invest / believe in those ports from the very beginning.

Fun Fact: Monster Hunter World is based on MT Framework, same engine of Revelations 2 and Mega Man 11 which are on Switch and they run well.

With some compromise on visual quality it would work, but Capcom never thought about making World a portable experience. (well nowadays with the recent announcement of the mobile game, it looks like they have no plans for a future Switch MH at all)
Honestly the only port I'm interested from Capcom is Dai Gyakuten Saiban 1&2 and Investigation 2, thats should be number one priority.
4822d95e51785b3ef9d7654da32b97d5.gif

StormCell

Seriously. I don't mind big new ideas, but Nintendo has a good thing going and should stick to it.

The last time they had a good thing going (cheap, controller everyone outside of forum trolls loved, small and beautiful), they threw it all away... because reasons.

I still think a Wii 2 with an additional Pro controller packed in and a Wii U-like visual leap, while keeping all the advantages (maybe taking motion control forward a bit?), would have been a big success. Entire lasting brands have been built on less success than what was achieved with the Wii.

Yeah, they really caught lightning in a bottle with the Wii. I know people who bought one for every room in their house just to stream Netflix to their TVs... that was basically PS2 DVD player levels of sales success right there. lol

I will be sorely disappointed if Nintendo veers away from the hybrid concept. I want even more... maybe a dock with a co-processor. lol I want some teraflops! :messenger_grinning:

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
They may all run on the same engine, but MHW is a completely different beast compared to the other two. Porting a game over isn't as simple as tweaking a few visual settings.

For sure, my idea is that if they really wanted, they could have made that happen already. I played Monster Hunter World on PS4 Slim, it's not even the most demanding beautiful game ever.

And you know what? i'm not even asking, but it's very disappointing they never even tried investing on something made for the system, despite you read their financial reports they make more money from Switch than Xbox One without the new games.

Biggest disappointment of this Switch gen (otherwise incredible, i love the console) has been Capcom. I expected a lot from them and got nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
It is not that I don't have enough games to play, but I also want something to look forward to outside of Xenoblade and Trails of Mana. The Indie World showcase rumor was proven to be correct, and I hope we indeed see a Nintendo Direct soon (the 26th?).

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously. I don't mind big new ideas, but Nintendo has a good thing going and should stick to it.

The last time they had a good thing going (cheap, controller everyone outside of forum trolls loved, small and beautiful), they threw it all away... because reasons.

I still think a Wii 2 with an additional Pro controller packed in and a Wii U-like visual leap, while keeping all the advantages (maybe taking motion control forward a bit?), would have been a big success. Entire lasting brands have been built on less success than what was achieved with the Wii.

Yeah, it will never stop confusing me why Nintendo made that frankencontroller after doing that whole blue ocean strategy thing and making everything so simple for absolutely everyone with the Wii remote. I like the Wii U gamepad BTW, it's comfy as fuck but it's retarded beyond belief for a Wii product that's supposed to get your grandpa playing on the system.

But Iwata for some reason was always really, really obsessed with a secondary screen controller. He even mentioned wanting to do it with the original Wii (during the Wii controller reveal even I believe) but the tech wasn't really available for it yet.

-Arcadia-

Banned
You can't be serious. That market and concept was never gonna last.

That market and concept? The one that created the number one console of the generation? That had unprecedented brand power and reach? With ridiculous individual software sales not even matched by the Switch? That elevated just about every Nintendo franchise to new heights?

Sales only slowed down (and in this context, slowed down means Nintendo wasn’t diving into a new money pit every single week) when Nintendo‘s content reduced to a trickle, and even then, they were far healthier than Wii U’s absolutely miserable performance.

The reason that market didn’t last, is because Nintendo personally took a sledgehammer to it, and dismantled it piece by piece, as opposed to nourishing it, and following up with a genuine successor.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
That market and concept? The one that created the number one console of the generation? That had unprecedented brand power and reach? With ridiculous individual software sales not even matched by the Switch? That elevated just about every Nintendo franchise to new heights?

Sales only slowed down (and in this context, slowed down means Nintendo wasn’t diving into a new money pit every single week) when Nintendo‘s content reduced to a trickle, and even then, they were far healthier than Wii U’s absolutely miserable performance.

The reason that market didn’t last, is because Nintendo personally took a sledgehammer to it, and dismantled it piece by piece, as opposed to nourishing it, and following up with a genuine successor.
If we're talking about the Wii Remote, I don't think keeping it would have been a good idea. The casual audience that drove the Wii's massive levels of success has a very short attention span, and by the time the Wii sales started to decline they had already moved onto something else.

Although personally I was never a fan of that controller to begin with.

Last edited:

Bakkus

Wii U flopped because the marketing was atrocious. Nintendo took a sledgehammer to it because all of that audience had moved on to Kinect or Move or smartphones. Why play Just Dance in jaggy 480p when you can play it the same way in HD? There was nothing more those controllers offered where the comeptitors hadn't surpassed. Now the trends have moved on and those kinds of controllers are only reserved for a few casual experiences and exercise games.

-Arcadia-

Banned
The casual audience that drove the Wii's massive levels of success has a very short attention span

This gets thrown around, but I’ve never actually seen any data or logic behind it, probably because it originates from console warriors so butthurt over the Wii sales, they had to dismiss it as a fad and entirely the work of casual gamers.

In actuality, the system had stellar software attach rates, record-breaking software sales across all of Nintendo’s franchises, casual and hardcore, and hit the triple digit club (DS, GB, PS2, and PS4 being the only others), all over a long six year span.

That doesn’t sound solely like casual gamers rushing out for a fad. That sounds like the creation of a brand, and a loyal audience. A fad would be the majority of the players hitting the bricks after Wii Sports, and maybe Wii Fit, yet the data shows that didn’t happen.

The only thing observable, negatively, is that once hit games for the Wii slowed to a trickle, sales slowed down. That once Nintendo replaced it with an entirely different concept, everyone went home and stopped caring.

Which, yeah.

Nobody really knows what would have happened if Nintendo had followed up with a system that built on the Wii’s design ethos, rather than destroying it, but signs point to a much, much healthier system than the Wii U, at worst.

Wii U flopped because the marketing was atrocious. Nintendo took a sledgehammer to it because all of that audience had moved on to Kinect or Move or smartphones. Why play Just Dance in jaggy 480p when you can play it the same way in HD? There was nothing more those controllers offered where the comeptitors hadn't surpassed. Now the trends have moved on and those kinds of controllers are only reserved for a few casual experiences and exercise games.

Kinect. Now that’s a fad. What did it have, one holiday season, maybe two of success?

That’s because the tech was there (sort of), but the games weren’t. The appeal of the Wii was always that 1-2 (3?) punch of cool controls/ease of use, and Nintendo games (which typically were full, actual games, as opposed to the Kinect).

With that in mind, Kinect took nothing. The Wii USP was still there.

On smartphones, there’s no indication that they would have affected Nintendo in the console space, delivering full-featured games on the TV and in the living room. People who make this argument are taking Nintendo’s self-destruction of their own market, and attributing it to fan-fiction.

It’s possible that the markets could have competed to some extent, but we never really got the chance to find out, did we?

It’s also again dependent on this idea that Wii served only as Senior and Casual’s first console, which we can see isn’t true with traditional games like Super Mario Galaxy selling over 10 million units. The system had a wide reach of all types of gamers, from Xbox/PS fans buying a second system, to lapsed old-school Nintendo fans, to casuals.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
This gets thrown around, but I’ve never actually seen any data or logic behind it, probably because it originates from console warriors so butthurt over the Wii sales, they had to dismiss it as a fad and entirely the work of casual gamers.

In actuality, the system had stellar software attach rates, record-breaking software sales across all of Nintendo’s franchises, casual and hardcore, and hit the triple digit club (DS, GB, PS2, and PS4 being the only others), all over a long six year span.

That doesn’t sound solely like casual gamers rushing out for a fad. That sounds like the creation of a brand, and a loyal audience. A fad would be the majority of the players hitting the bricks after Wii Sports, and maybe Wii Fit, yet the data shows that didn’t happen.

The only thing observable, negatively, is that once hit games for the Wii slowed to a trickle, sales slowed down. That once Nintendo replaced it with an entirely different concept, everyone went home and stopped caring.

Which, yeah.

Nobody really knows what would have happened if Nintendo had followed up with a system that built on the Wii’s design ethos, rather than destroying it, but signs point to a much, much healthier system than the Wii U, at worst.

Kinect. Now that’s a fad. What did it have, one holiday season, maybe two of success?

That’s because the tech was there (sort of), but the games weren’t. The appeal of the Wii was always that 1-2 (3?) punch of cool controls/ease of use, and Nintendo games (which typically were full, actual games, as opposed to the Kinect).

With that in mind, Kinect took nothing. The Wii USP was still there.

On smartphones, there’s no indication that they would have affected Nintendo in the console space, delivering full-featured games on the TV and in the living room. People who make this argument are taking Nintendo’s self-destruction of their own market, and attributing it to fan-fiction.

It’s possible that the markets could have competed to some extent, but we never really got the chance to find out, did we?

It’s also again dependent on this idea that Wii served only as Senior and Casual’s first console, which we can see isn’t true with traditional games like Super Mario Galaxy selling over 10 million units. The system had a wide reach of all types of gamers, from Xbox/PS fans buying a second system, to lapsed old-school Nintendo fans, to casuals.
Ur dumb

I’m stuck working from home for then next month, at least. Nintendo needs to show something. I can’t just play Animal Crossing forever.

Bakkus

We never got to find out because when you're on a sinking ship, you leave it and move on. You don't go drowning down with it just to see if it's actually gonna drown.

-Arcadia-

Banned
We never got to find out because when you're on a sinking ship, you leave it and move on. You don't go drowning down with it just to see if it's actually gonna drown.

You have zero evidence of it being a sinking ship.

What you have is being on the Titanic, although in this scenario, the captain purposely aims for the iceberg, and saying, ah well, if it wasn’t for the iceberg, it would have gone down anyway. Would it?

You don’t know that. Nobody does. Because, again, it never had a chance to really happen, and frankly, given the differences between them, it’s more likely that some level of coexistence would have happened.

Take a look at the 3DS. 70 million sales, somewhere around there? That is the market most affected by smartphone gaming, yet 70 million is a huge success, if a drop from DS (one could argue 3DS had its own problems).

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Imagine thinking Kinect or Move took consumers away from Nintendo. That’s some clown world shit right there.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Imagine thinking Kinect or Move took consumers away from Nintendo. That’s some clown world shit right there.
Believe it or not, Kinect actually helped 360 sales in North America, but I don't think it necessarily impacted sales for the Wii.

I don't know what people ever saw the thing personally. I was a part of the Kinect hardware tests and they let us keep our units, and even then I didn't get the appeal. But then again I'm not the target audience.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Believe it or not, Kinect actually helped 360 sales in North America, but I don't think it necessarily impacted sales for the Wii.

I don't know what people ever saw the thing personally. I was a part of the Kinect hardware tests and they let us keep our units, and even then I didn't get the appeal. But then again I'm not the target audience.
I think it’s more likely that 360 sales helped the Kinect, considering it was a bundle.

The rumor was tomorrow, right? We should at least wait out today.

But yeah, I’ve been there for a while, just enjoying Switch games. Worrying about whether some conference will happen or not, is just a waste of time and energy.
I wish I had your level-headedness about it. I’m irrationally annoyed by the lack of new games for the Switch, and lack of news about new games! (At least for games I’m interested in.) I hope, if nothing else, there’s some random third-party announcements, even without a direct.

Shaqazooloo

Thankfully I've been distracted (for the most part) by my current Pokemon addiction, but now I'm shiny hunting legendaries and it gives me a lot of time to think and I end up getting too hyped for a Direct.

Maybe I'll just play Luigi's Mansion 3 and XenoBlade Chronicles 2 for now and leave Pokemon until after the Direct..

-Arcadia-

Banned
I wish I had your level-headedness about it. I’m irrationally annoyed by the lack of new games for the Switch, and lack of news about new games! (At least for games I’m interested in.) I hope, if nothing else, there’s some random third-party announcements, even without a direct.

I mean, I don’t want to downplay that something that has become a tradition for Nintendo (a beginning-of-year Direct showing an idea of what to expect for the early year) is missing. I agree that it’s unfortunate, and very much would like to see it.

It’s just that I see it really torturing some people. At that point, I think it’s time to just step away, enjoy some fantastic Switch games, and let the cards fall where they may.

It’s not like waiting for NX news (sheer torture), where one system is dead, and the other is on life support. The Switch is exceptionally vibrant right now.

StormCell

Buddy, I don't think it's irrational to feel disappointed with Nintendo's radio silence. They set our expectations for these directs, and now they're seemingly under-delivering or even changing the pattern without communicating it. That's... well, it's unfortunate. They have a great thing going even if the announcements aren't always well-received.

The directs don't look like they're expensive to produce, and I've enjoyed all of them even if I was let down by some of their publishing decisions. At this point, I'd settle for a 45 second Direct announcing the SNES DK Trilogy. LOL

Last edited:

StormCell

I assume you're referring to one end or the other of Nintendo's business as a sinking ship vs smart phones, and hence the consolidation of the platforms. There's no evidence to support that belief. Simply, the cost of producing handheld games was getting a little too close to that of console games, and so it no longer makes sense to invest 2 years to produce that handheld game while the home console tanks. Whatever it took to produce Mario Kart 8, imagine it would cost three quarters of that time/effort to make a new handheld Kart game. That's the official reason for unifying the teams.

I feel like Nintendo is on a real winning trend with the Switch concept. With a little more collaboration with Nvidia, I can imagine a Nintendo ecosystem that supports a home console, a hybrid portable, and a portable that all play the same games but with varying levels of fidelity. I believe this is the future directly ahead of us except it currently looks like 1X/Pro -> base models -> Switch when we're lucky. There's enough there, already, to make Nintendo a place for exclusive experiences. I think enough people will buy whatever it is Nintendo produces provided it's not so Nintendoh'd that third parties won't develop for it.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

STILL NO UPDATE ON SMT OR BAYO STOP POSTING THEM
The rumor was tomorrow, right? We should at least wait out today.

But yeah, I’ve been there for a while, just enjoying Switch games. Worrying about whether some conference will happen or not, is just a waste of time and energy.
What games did you buy? You just recently bought a Switch right?

-Arcadia-

Banned
I thought you had just gotten the AC switch.

Ah, see above. Yeah, no new games other than AC. I did start replaying Breath of the Wild and am completely hooked, so it’s kind of like getting the Switch for the first time, hahaha.

pft all of us Nintendo fans have like 6 switches to choose from depending on our moods.. duh.

I know you were joking, but I have three. :messenger_fearful:

Jooxed

Gold Member
This is really going to upset Brap. You know that, right?

I do not fear that pleb brap brap . Come at me bro.

XwAYmkH.png

I bought 2 but gave one away. The fuck Jooxed Jooxed do also force them to play XC2? :O

Good.

Lol no one was for my dad who just got out of the hospital to occupy him he has CHF and CoPD. The rest were gifts for holidays and milestones.

Top Bottom