• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

-Arcadia-

Banned
All I can say is, if the second you saw ‘Mini’, you didn’t dial your expectations down from BotW2 to reasonable, smaller announcements, you did yourself a disservice.

I see a lot of fun games and cool DLC. That’s what I’m here for, not to spend months on my knees begging for a company to show me a PR video, then bitch that it wasn’t the second coming.

If this had been a full direct, and BotW2 and a bunch of other Nintendo games were shown, I’d be over the moon. But I don’t think this is ‘bad’ because that didn’t happen.

Jooxed

Gold Member
All I can say is, if the second you saw ‘Mini’, you didn’t dial your expectations down from BotW2 to reasonable, smaller announcements, you did yourself a disservice.

I see a lot of fun games and cool DLC. That’s what I’m here for, not to spend months on my knees begging for a company to show me a PR video, then bitch that it wasn’t the second coming.

If this had been a full direct, and BotW2 and a bunch of other Nintendo games were shown, I’d be over the moon. But I don’t think this is ‘bad’ because that didn’t happen.

Shaqazooloo

I dont know... my expectations are always pretty low for these.

I think this this is first Direct that I would say is legit bad.

Even the previous mini had a decent amount of hype...

I really hate sounding negative but yeah I dont think this was good at all..

-Arcadia-

Banned

I don’t remember what was shown at the last Mini, but my sense was that this was the biggest Mini ever at 30 minutes, and dealing with unusually large announcements.

My understanding of a Mini, is to run about ten minutes, and do some hype work on the next few months of games. We went quite a bit beyond that here.

You’re just as entitled to your opinion as me, but I enjoyed it.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

This is a Nintendo safe space, our kind aren't allowed here 😇

StormCell

I had dialed back my expectations because Nintendo let's you know in advance when they have something they wish to showcase. This sort of felt like a large "mini", and they apparently produced this weeks ago and maybe weren't certain how much they were going to show right now.
I think it's possible they have delayed some bigger announcements.

Having said that, the second half has a lot of unknowns. I'm starting to hedge my bets towards Zelda and something Mario.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
A few favorites and thoughts:

-That Japanese underwater sidescrolling/survival (?) game looks really cool. I need to check that out in detail today
-Bioshock is a fantastic experience, in 2007 or today. I’m really looking forward to replaying this
-As a huge ARMS fan, it’s awesome to finally see it join Smash. Also, nice to see Smash get back to Nintendo characters, versus increasingly obscure third party ones, and adding yet another Weeb Emblem character
-Why haven’t I played Ring Fit yet
-I’ve always meant to play Mr. Driller, as a puzzle game fan. Might do it this time
-Xenoblade Chronicles looks like a solid visual re-do (X and 2 are more visually impressive, but this is still a nice upgrade from the Wii/3DS versions), a new chapter is awesome, and I just need to finally beat this game instead of getting lost in its massiveness.
-Burnout Paradise on Switch is 👌
-Strategy games are my thing, so X-Com and that one medieval looking one coming to Switch is pretty nice : )
-Borderlands was crack on PS3 for me. I’ll probably return for a second go

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

Hold you horses! I still haven't got no news on SMTV and Bayonetta 3, so..........
giphy.gif

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
EA on Switch is like someone inviting Donald Trump to dinner at your house. Kinda cool, I guess, but why the fuck is he here?

Anyway, Xenoblade Chronicles HD looks great. Like, the visuals just feel right for that game, and hearing that that some of the music's been re-recorded is good news (assuming they're keeping the original compositions, naturally). Xenoblade was the only game from last gen to make it into my top 10 games of all time. And it's been a solid 8 years since I played it, so I don't see a reason not to run through it again.

StormCell

I'll share my thoughts too.

- Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive - As someone who joined the party late with the Wii version, I got to a certain point in the game and got frustrated. I don't think I'll be following up on this one even though I love XC2.
- 2K collection coming to Switch. I've only been begging for a Borderlands game for Switch since year 1... lol. And Bioshock is a great game as well.
- I really need to check out that Marvel game.
- Underwater game got me interested
- Now Hiring made me laugh. Looks like fun for $10... expect it's probably $20.
- I'm buying Ring Fit Adventure the next time I see it for sale
- Bravely Default 2 is looking like The jRPG of the year, Final Fantasy be damned
- I think people are sleeping on Table Top Classics. If this is made by Nintendo then expect a ton of value from this thing. It actually looks kinda good.
- Star Wars Jedi Knight Academy and pod racer... what year is it again??
- Burnout Paradise Remaster... Happy to see this game on Switch. It needs it. Also, could this be the start of more EA support?
- I've kind of moved on from Sword/Shield and don't see the value of the DLC, but I'm glad the game is still growing

There were some minor surprises. It was a really good mini direct. I really think so. What we didn't get is info about certain large franchises.

StormCell

You can either play Othello for $60 from Nintendo, or 60 cents from Goodwill.

This is such a blah thing to say, PizzaInABag! It's more than Othello, or Solitaire, or Yahtzee... They're advertising 51 different games, including bowling and Tanks. Man, what if that's the Wii bowling game everyone has been looking for from Nintendo?? Like I said, people are sleeping on this. People weren't super excited for Wii Play, but look at what happened after that released.

People weren't super excited for Wii Play, but look at what happened after that released.
The inclusion of a Wiimote probabaly had something to do with the popularity of that game. If 51 Board Games ends up costing $70 and including Joy-Cons, I'll believe it's gonna sell well. Otherwise, no.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I can't believe people are jumping in excitement at the opportunity to buy old ass games for 60 dollars again. This was not a good Direct, no matter how you spin it.

I can’t believe people are jumping in excitement to paint others with a single brush, and insist that anybody liking these older game announcements is ‘spinning’.

You have a point underneath that, though. This Direct was largely comprised of older games and current-gen ports, and that’s a real criticism when there aren’t a whole lot of new games coming out in the first half of the year.

Likewise, let’s hope that these games are attractively priced. Third parties have been seemingly doing very well on that front lately.

That said, playing older games has always been a part of the handheld DNA, and the hybrid nature of the Switch is particularly enjoyable for this. It’s also worth mentioning that I don’t really regard recent or smaller current-gen ports as “old” — it’s very possible that people haven’t played some of these games yet, or that the games flew under their radar.

One would prefer that Nintendo do a better job of ensuring new releases, but I’m not going to turn down great content that I’m interested in because of that.

StormCell

The inclusion of a Wiimote probabaly had something to do with the popularity of that game. If 51 Board Games ends up costing $70 and including Joy-Cons, I'll believe it's gonna sell well. Otherwise, no.

I'm not expecting huge sales for this game, but it certainly looks like one of those titles that will be well worth the price tag just by sheer volume of interesting games.

Danny Dudekisser

This is such a blah thing to say, PizzaInABag! It's more than Othello, or Solitaire, or Yahtzee... They're advertising 51 different games, including bowling and Tanks. Man, what if that's the Wii bowling game everyone has been looking for from Nintendo?? Like I said, people are sleeping on this. People weren't super excited for Wii Play, but look at what happened after that released.

51 games * 60 cents = $30.60 from Goodwill.

It costs 39,99€ on the eShop

ok, fine. It's fucking fine. This is an entirely adequate value.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
People really shouldn’t sleep on Clubhouse Games. First one was a bit of a cult DS classic. I know, because I had to hear Nintendo fans sperg out about it every single day for months after it’s release. : P

Putting a bunch of classic games in a collection isn’t usually worth writing home about, but contrary to the usual efforts, Nintendo (or the developer they were working with?) seemed to do a fantastic job of recreating them all last time, and the online play was apparently very fun.

They’re also classic games for a reason. Executed as well as the last one was, and sold at a reasonable price (bit of a question mark there), there’s no reason why this wouldn’t be a good time.

Although I do wonder if the Switch form factor is as well suited for this as the DS’ was...

I can’t believe people are jumping in excitement to paint others with a single brush, and insist that anybody liking these older game announcements is ‘spinning’.
The spinning moreso refered to you lowering your expectations because it was a Mini Direct. Why should I lower my expectations for the first real Direct of the year, and the first one in 6 months? Just because it has "Mini" in the title? That's dumb, and Nintendo would be dumb for thinking they could get away with it. I'm gonna criticize this Direct for how important it is at this point in time, and they blew it. It's almost April and we don't have much to look forward to besides old ports.

That said, playing older games has always been a part of the handheld DNA
I don't buy this excuse anymore. We're long past the days of GBA where people were excited to play SNES games on the go. The Switch is capable of playing current-gen games with some alterations. Porting over old ass games feels lazy and barely worth mentioning. I'm sure there's someone going wild over the Podracer announcement, but most people actually want to play new games. It's like that time they announced more Resident Evil ports during their E3 stream. It's out of place and unnecessary. It's announcements like that just make me feel like they've got nothing better to show.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Why do people have their expectations so high on everything? Its on YOU every time you get disappointed. Tone it down, expect nothing and you’ll be satisfied.
Thats very true, which I'm also kind of guilty of doing that time to time.

nordique

I thought it was a solid direct (mini)

wasn’t expecting anything big

was happy with the games shown. The 2k games were a surprise for me.

Also xenoblade remaster looks fantastic. Not my cup of tea, same with BD2, but those two games look absolutely stellar.

-Arcadia-

Banned
The spinning moreso refered to you lowering your expectations because it was a Mini Direct. Why should I lower my expectations for the first real Direct of the year, and the first one in 6 months?

Well, who ended up enjoying it, and who ended up screeching on a message board about it?

Sounds to me like you should have seen Mini, and taken the hint.

I'm gonna criticize this Direct for how important it is at this point in time, and they blew it. It's almost April and we don't have much to look forward to besides old ports.

Is that what you call criticism? I call it throwing a tantrum because you didn’t get what you want.

Plenty of measured criticism in here that doesn’t basically boil down to this:

rX4CmSR.jpg

I don't buy this excuse anymore. We're long past the days of GBA where people were excited to play SNES games on the go. The Switch is capable of playing current-gen games with some alterations. Porting over old ass games feels lazy and barely worth mentioning. I'm sure there's someone going wild over the Podracer announcement, but most people actually want to play new games. It's like that time they announced more Resident Evil ports during their E3 stream. It's out of place and unnecessary. It's announcements like that just make me feel like they've got nothing better to show.

I really don’t give a shit what you buy. I gave you a chance on your first inflammatory comment, and tried to steer the conversation towards rationality and a discussion, but you’re more interested in instigation and talking at yourself, than actually conversing with and responding to others.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Why do people have their expectations so high on everything? Its on YOU every time you get disappointed. Tone it down, expect nothing and you’ll be satisfied.
I used to to think the pessimist was never disappointed. Today, Nintendo somehow managed to proved me wrong.

Danny Dudekisser

Anyone picking up Shinsekai? It's a new Capcom game on the Switch, which is.... honestly, kind of novel in its own right.

Looked interesting from the trailer, but I dunno if I wanna be the guinea pig.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Anyone picking up Shinsekai? It's a new Capcom game on the Switch, which is.... honestly, kind of novel in its own right.

Looked interesting from the trailer, but I dunno if I wanna be the guinea pig.

Apparently it’s a former Apple Arcade exclusive, so there should be a wealth of information available on it. I agree, it looks really interesting.

StormCell

I used to to think the pessimist was never disappointed. Today, Nintendo somehow managed to proved me wrong.

We could have used another Wii remaster or Wii U port before July, but there's approximately 77 days before the biggest direct of the year (the one during E3) where we would expect to get announcements for the second half of 2020.

And maybe I'm along with this thinking, but it feels like Nintendo is sandbagging right now because supply has been constrained.

I really don’t give a shit what you buy. I gave you a chance on your first inflammatory comment, and tried to steer the conversation towards rationality and a discussion, but you’re more interested in instigation and talking at yourself, than actually conversing with and responding to others.

Come in to talk about Nintendo, stay to see Arcadia extreme dunking on blustering fools. Holy shit, that was fantastic.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Well, who ended up enjoying it, and who ended up screeching on a message board about it?

Sounds to me like you should have seen Mini, and taken the hint.

Is that what you call criticism? I call it throwing a tantrum because you didn’t get what you want.

Plenty of measured criticism in here that doesn’t basically boil down to this:

rX4CmSR.jpg

I00zpxb.gif

Bakkus

Maybe I'm being a bit too harsh, it was just a "mini" Direct after all, but I guess I just expected more after all this time without a Direct.
The fact that a mini direct is all they had to come out with after the longest Direct drought in history is extremely critique worthy by itself. There's no way to justify what we just saw.

Yes, we should never expect anything from Nintendo. Ever.

Top Bottom