• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Tigerlord

Has anyone played the Namco Museum archives on switch? Half the games never were localized.
One game strikes me as very familiar. Dragonbuster 2 reminds me of Intellivision's DnD Cloudy Mountian/
renamed Crown of Kings. It was the earliest rougelikes in which you are an archer exploring random generated dungeons
with various enemies and areas to explore in an attempt to defeat a dragon.

Only a couple of weeks now until DP2 and Full Body releases! Rejoice!

I finally ordered DP1. It's still relatively expensive (35 Euro was the cheapest I found) and it has shitty graphics from the screenshots I saw. But every feedback about the game makes it sound like a cult classic that has to be experienced by oneself, so I don't want to skip it or watch it on Youtube. DP2 seems to up the overall quality, so I want to be ready for that.

Edit: Just received my daily load of likes from Shaqazooloo Shaqazooloo , I see! ;P

Last edited:
I finally ordered DP1. It's still relatively expensive (35 Euro was the cheapest I found) and it has shitty graphics from the screenshots I saw. But every feedback about the game makes it sound like a cult classic that has to be experienced by oneself, so I don't want to skip it or watch it on Youtube. DP2 seems to up the overall quality, so I want to be ready for that.

Edit: Just received my daily load of likes from Shaqazooloo Shaqazooloo , I see! ;P

While I like DP and love exploring the town and atmosphere. Just be warned that the combat is super jank lol.

Mr Hyde

Booted up Thimbleweed Park. I love Ron Gilbert. I have played almost everyone of his games. From Maniac Mansion to Monkey Island, from Days of the Tentacles to the Cave and everything in between. And now his latest, Thimbleweed Park.

It has some serious Maniac Mansion-vibes, using the same interface, wacky character design and oddball humor, it could be seen as a spiritual successor of sorts. Two detectives arrive at a sleepy town to investigate a murder. It smells Twin Peaks through and through, but with Gilbert's eccentric humor added to the mix.

Love point and click too. The Switch is perfect for these type of games with the touchscreen and all. It's very cozy and a little bit special to lay in the sofa and enjoy a new game from Ron Gilbert.

I wish Revolution could port over Broken Sword 1 & 2 also. They did it for Wii so why not Switch? A physical double pack of those two would be heaven.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Booted up Thimbleweed Park. I love Ron Gilbert. I have played almost everyone of his games. From Maniac Mansion to Monkey Island, from Days of the Tentacles to the Cave and everything in between. And now his latest, Thimbleweed Park.

It has some serious Maniac Mansion-vibes, using the same interface, wacky character design and oddball humor, it could be seen as a spiritual successor of sorts. Two detectives arrive at a sleepy town to investigate a murder. It smells Twin Peaks through and through, but with Gilbert's eccentric humor added to the mix.

Love point and click too. The Switch is perfect for these type of games with the touchscreen and all. It's very cozy and a little bit special to lay in the sofa and enjoy a new game from Ron Gilbert.

I wish Revolution could port over Broken Sword 1 & 2 also. They did it for Wii so why not Switch? A physical double pack of those two would be heaven.

I adored Thimbleweed Park on PC, it’s a fabulous throwback to better times.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
In other news I had a bastard of a time beating watertight ganon in Zelda BOTW. Good fun fight but bastard hard. Heading North to the next beast but having some issues with it being super hot there so I’ll need to figure out how to handle that.

Intoxicate

In other news I had a bastard of a time beating watertight ganon in Zelda BOTW. Good fun fight but bastard hard. Heading North to the next beast but having some issues with it being super hot there so I’ll need to figure out how to handle that.

Did you beat the four beasts/machines first? Otherwise you have to beat them prior the actual Ganon fight.

you can get special cloth to adjust to the heat.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Did you beat the four beasts/machines first? Otherwise you have to beat them prior the actual Ganon fight.

you can get special cloth to adjust to the heat.

I beat the first beast, the elephant, the boss inside is referred to as Waterbight Ganon.

Hmm special cloth - I’ve been collecting a bunch of stuff that implies crafting but I’ve yet to figure out any such thing. Might be time for me to google to see if that’s actually the case.

Talking about EA. Imagine Command & Conquer Remastered Collection on Switch. The game would probably run nice on it since it isn't demanding. What do you guys think?

Jooxed

Gold Member
Talking about EA. Imagine Command & Conquer Remastered Collection on Switch. The game would probably run nice on it since it isn't demanding. What do you guys think?

Not really into strategy games but this would probably be one of those perfect for switch scenario's. I did play some Civ 6 and Northgard on switch and enjoyed my time with them.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The only way BotW is meant to be played!
In some ways I’m probably benefiting from being late to the party as it makes it much easier to keep away from spoilers, walkthroughs, etc - the trend for gaming sites to put a shitload of guides up to hoover up the clicks when a big game comes out is so annoying.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Switch is getting a healthy dose of tactics and strategy games. Xcom was recently released and now Invisible Inc is scoring an excellent 9/10 on Nintendo life.

I bounced off it somewhat on the PC - for some reason it just didn’t click for me. No idea why tbh, it seems a perfectly competent game but it just didn’t do it for me.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I bounced off it somewhat on the PC - for some reason it just didn’t click for me. No idea why tbh, it seems a perfectly competent game but it just didn’t do it for me.

I love Klei games but just didn't get into it. I still got Oxygen Not Included on steam and have never booted it up lol.

D.Final

Banned

Great news
I can't wait to see more

Mr Hyde

Has anyone played Journey to the Savage Planet? After Metro, I'm in the mood for some more storydriven fps and this seems to fit the bill. Word around the block says it's a mix between Metroid Prime and No Mans Sky, and that sounds very good in my ears. It releases physical on Switch now on the 26th. I'm thinking about picking up a copy.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone played Journey to the Savage Planet? After Metro, I'm in the mood for some more storydriven fps and this seems to fit the bill. Word around the block says it's a mix between Metroid Prime and No Mans Sky, and that sounds very good in my ears. It releases physical on Switch now on the 26th. I'm thinking about picking up a copy.

If I didn't have a long-ass list of games to work through already I'd have bought it by now. It's on my to-buy list though, looks fucking awesome.

its_Ditz its_Ditz why not talk about what you're playing right now, or organise multiplayer games with people here - maybe a Mario Kart tournament? As it is this thread is just fine for me - it's a pool of sanity away from the wider world, something which I think Nintendo in general does very well.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Well I´m still alternately playing Smash Bros. Ultimate, Mario Kart, Zelda BotW and Overcooked or Mario Party with my wife - just like in the last years or so haha
Pure casual - I´m not even subscribed to Nintendo Online 🤷‍♂️

Tbh I had a little play with Smash on the Wii U on emulator and it didn't really do it for me (and the emulator runs pretty well - Mario Kart 8 and Mario 3D world run perfectly for instance - so it's not that). Not sure I'd have much luck getting the mrs to play it either and I've long avoided online for anything other than iRacing on the basis that I'm shit (where for iRacing I'm in about the top 10% when I put the effort into practice).

Mario Kart is weirdly getting less time than I thought it would, though that might be because my wife beats me every fucking time - she seems to have an infinite supply of fucking blue shells. As documented above I'm loving BOTW, it's just such a satisfying gameplay loop and the bosses, while hard, are pretty fair - it's not Dark Souls but it's a good time. Astral Chain is my other hardcore gamer game.

Wife has shown no interest in BOTW which surprised me, but we've been having a lot of fun with Mario U Deluxe Penis and I reckon Mario Maker 2 will scratch the same itch when I get round to buying it. Streets Of Rage 4 is my other one for a quick blast - it's just utterly brilliant, a cleverly crafted game clearly created with love. The satisfying crunchiness of combat is what really makes it for me, it really feels like you're doing damage.

My only real fuck-up purchase so far was the Brain Training game. It's just a real disappointment and I feel like I wasted money.

Oh, by the way, get the online. It's dirt cheap on cdkeys.com (the family plan gets 8 accounts online) and comes with a load of NES and SNES classics - worth it for that alone.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I beat the first beast, the elephant, the boss inside is referred to as Waterbight Ganon.

Hmm special cloth - I’ve been collecting a bunch of stuff that implies crafting but I’ve yet to figure out any such thing. Might be time for me to google to see if that’s actually the case.
This game is awesome blind. There is so many ways to get past obstacles. If you look at all your stuff and think mmm I wonder if this would make me cooler. It probably does.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the heads up. I´ve tried free trials twice and while I enjoyed booting up some classics that I could play with my wife or to just show them to her out of nostalgia, it wasn´t something that was able to hold my (less so our) interest.
Probably got let down after seeing her NOT react to Yoshi´s Island at all lol One of my favourite videogames, a beautiful and charming title but my wife just couldn´t appreciate it as much as I do.

I´m curious and disgusted at the same time

Tbh Yoshi's Island didn't really do it for me either, or at least not in the same way Super Mario World did. That said, your wife might not like it because of the challenge involved in it. While there are women out there who are happy to play Dark Souls and beat it while blindfolded, that's the minority, more women prefer the likes of The Sims than say Doom for instance. It is what it is. Super Mario Wii U Mega Deluxe Penis is a bit more suitable in some ways as it offers some ways to have an easier time, though you can still get a decent challenge out of it if that's what you're looking for.

This game is awesome blind. There is so many ways to get past obstacles. If you look at all your stuff and think mmm I wonder if this would make me cooler. It probably does.

I managed to create a potion in the end, before buying some damn armour when I got to the city. I was slightly concerned I'd be spending my time micromanaging the potions so I'm glad that's not the case. That lizard looks pretty damn cool, I presume I'm gonna have to climb the volcano at some point. First up though I have to get the boss to co-operate.

-Arcadia-

Banned
While this forum is being overrun by TLOU2 I need this thread to maintain it´s sanity. Such a bummer that there´s not really much to talk about currently.
Nintendo, pls save us with an announcement of those rumoured Mario titles soon...

On the bright side, when those hit, despite being older games, it should be an actual megaton.

But yeah, this year. Extenuating circumstances, but at the same time, Nintendo has barely released anything for 6 months, and that wasn't Corona. They've also handled information dissemination after all this, in the worst way possible.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
On the bright side, when those hit, despite being older games, it should be an actual megaton.

But yeah, this year. Extenuating circumstances, but at the same time, Nintendo has barely released anything for 6 months, and that wasn't Corona. They've also handled information dissemination after all this, in the worst way possible.

It's not so bad for those of us late to the party - I'm still trying to catch up on all that Nintendo goodness. That said, 3D world would be a day 1 purchase.

Jooxed Jooxed One thing I like about Sw/Sh now and especially with the wild area in Isle of Armor now is how they changed shiny hunting for the series.

Basically they changed it to where the more you faint/capture a mon the higher the chances you get of getting a shiny along if you chain combo 25+ in a row. It's not based on a continuous chain as much as it is based around the total number of times you've fainted/captured a mon. So if you hate egg breeding then shiny hunting is completely viable now by farming through battles.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Jooxed Jooxed One thing I like about Sw/Sh now and especially with the wild area in Isle of Armor now is how they changed shiny hunting for the series.

Basically they changed it to where the more you faint/capture a mon the higher the chances you get of getting a shiny along if you chain combo 25+ in a row. It's not based on a continuous chain as much as it is based around the total number of times you've fainted/captured a mon. So if you hate egg breeding then shiny hunting is completely viable now by farming through battles.

I really like the new Wild Area. It feels a lot better than the old one. I really hope the next game is a step up with update GFX and expanded on the wild area without the ridiculous pop in.

Top Bottom