• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Question for you Nintendo obsessives - any guess on when/if Nintendo will release Switch ports of Ocarina and Majora's Mask?

-Arcadia-

Banned
There definitely is some weapon scaling in BotW -- you're not going to end up with some of the crazier stats of this game just coming out of the cave -- but it's done with a really satisfyingly light touch that lets you feel like you can get something really cool at any moment.

Same for enemies.

Being on my first replay since launch, that was what I instantly noticed. I don't think any of the weapon types are off-limits -- you can get fire swords from the beginning -- but the stats certainly are.

Humdinger

Hey guys, I'd be interested in your suggestions. I'm considering a Switch purchase, but I'm not sure if there are enough games I'd enjoy to warrant it.

A little context. I've been disenchanted lately with how games on PS and Xbox seem to be geared for "adult" audiences -- you know, serious, "mature"-themed stuff, with heavy stories, the grim/dark tone, punishing difficulty as a selling point, etc. I have been missing the earlier days of gaming, when games were simple, fun, and lighthearted. My life is serious enough. I look to games for pleasant diversion, not stress and strife. I'm old enough to be going through my second adolescence, and I'm not interested in trying to be "mature" and adult. I'm okay with being a little "kiddie," especially when it comes to gaming.

I do love a good story and good characters, though. I'll toss that in. I've never been a platformer guy -- I get frustrated with the trial and error aspects of some of them -- but I've been enjoying the recent SpongeBob remake. Gameplay is just simple, colorful, a bit childish, silly, and fun.

I've never owned a Nintendo console. I played with my stepdaughter's Gamecube for a while, many years ago, and I remember enjoying Mario Kart, but that's about it. I had a first-gen Xbox at the time and looked down on the Gamecube as "kiddie" console. I didn't grow up on Mario and the gang, the way a lot of you did. When I visit Switch threads, I'm usually impressed by how friendly and lighthearted they seem to be, in comparison to the threads on Playstation and Xbox.

To tell you the truth, my interest in gaming has really been dying over the past few years, and I'm looking for ways to revive it. I'm wondering if a return to simple, fun-oriented games might help.

Anyhow, I'm just looking for suggestions of additional Switch games I should check out. Here are the ones I'm considering already:

- Zelda BotW
- Mario Odyssey
- Mario Kart 8
- Deadly Premonition 2
- Xenoblade Chronicles

Please let me know if you think there are other games I should check out. Thanks.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Question for you Nintendo obsessives - any guess on when/if Nintendo will release Switch ports of Ocarina and Majora's Mask?

I have so little confidence in this happening, I'd just straight up buy a 3DS and enjoy them there, in beautiful 3D.

Not an insult to Nintendo, as OoT and MM just had their moment in the sun, with full, gorgeous-for-3DS remakes, spotlit for an entire handheld generation, alongside great sales. I just don't see them getting un-mothballed any time soon.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Hey guys, I'd be interested in your suggestions. I'm considering a Switch purchase, but I'm not sure if there are enough games I'd enjoy to warrant it.

A little context. I've been disenchanted lately with how games on PS and Xbox seem to be geared for "adult" audiences -- you know, serious, "mature"-themed stuff, with heavy stories, the grim/dark tone, punishing difficulty as a selling point, etc. I have been missing the earlier days of gaming, when games were simple, fun, and lighthearted. My life is serious enough. I look to games for pleasant diversion, not stress and strife. I'm old enough to be going through my second adolescence, and I'm not interested in trying to be "mature" and adult. I'm okay with being a little "kiddie," especially when it comes to gaming.

I do love a good story and good characters, though. I'll toss that in. I've never been a platformer guy -- I get frustrated with the trial and error aspects of some of them -- but I've been enjoying the recent SpongeBob remake. Gameplay is just simple, colorful, a bit childish, silly, and fun.

I've never owned a Nintendo console. I played with my stepdaughter's Gamecube for a while, many years ago, and I remember enjoying Mario Kart, but that's about it. I had a first-gen Xbox at the time and looked down on the Gamecube as "kiddie" console. I didn't grow up on Mario and the gang, the way a lot of you did. When I visit Switch threads, I'm usually impressed by how friendly and lighthearted they seem to be, in comparison to the threads on Playstation and Xbox.

To tell you the truth, my interest in gaming has really been dying over the past few years, and I'm looking for ways to revive it. I'm wondering if a return to simple, fun-oriented games might help.

Anyhow, I'm just looking for suggestions of additional Switch games I should check out. Here are the ones I'm considering already:

- Zelda BotW
- possibly Mario Odyssey
- possibly Mario Kart 8
- Deadly Premonition 2
- possibly Xenoblade Chronicles

Please let me know if you think there are other games I should check out. Thanks.

I think you're on the right track. Nintendo is where I go when shooting people in the head and assassinating them from long grass, amidst a lot of other modern gaming cliches, starts to feel a little tiresome.

I'm in one of those moods right now, and Switch has been really refreshing for me.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Humdinger Humdinger I'd listen to -Arcadia- -Arcadia- . The thing about Nintendo, for me, is that their stuff still has that 90s gaming sensibility, where the game is king. There's a certain bullshit-free ethos. I'll also add that I was also pretty fed up with platformers - the years of Indie stuff had ground me down (I liked Super Meat Boy and Braid back in the day but the scene lost its way). Super Mario Odyssey however is an absolute work of art and Super Mario Bros U Deluxe Penis is excellent too. Note that you can buy a physical copy of either, try it and if you don't like it you can sell it for a pretty tiny loss as second hand prices hold pretty well. On the subject of prices though, be prepared for Nintendo games to be expensive, certainly compared to the PC. I rarely pay more than £20 for a PC game, but 40-50 is the norm on the Switch (I get my discounts via Dekudeals though if I'm going digital I also check cdkeys.com).

For me, the Switch has made a huge change to how I play games and it's definitely for the better. I bought mine a couple of months ago and I've honestly been delighted with it.

- Zelda BotW
- Mario Odyssey
- Mario Kart 8
- Deadly Premonition 2
- Xenoblade Chronicles

Puyo Puyo Tetris is a great Puzzle game with a lighthearted story, although one character has humourous innuenndo sentences that kids wouldn't get.

Sonic Mania is also great if you played one of the old Sonic games. It combines all the older games formulas and does some new stuff as well.

Smash Brothers is a Fighting game but accessable to a lot of people and the hype around who gets in is amazing.

Bomberman is a unique puzzle party game that works well with other people and you can even use the Gamecube controllers for up to 8 players (I did this last year with some people). It is all about having a good time, win or lose.

Last edited:

Woopah

- Zelda BotW
- Mario Odyssey
- Mario Kart 8
- Deadly Premonition 2
- Xenoblade Chronicles

In terms of simple yet engaging games I'd definitely recommend Luigi's Mansion 3. What sort of genres do you like?

Saruhashi

Banned
That's interesting info on the blood moon - I stupidly haven't been tracking where the good shit is kept however, I just assumed that once it was gone it was gone. I might have to go and look into that. Do things stay indefinitely after the blood moon or only during the blood moon?

Oh and I don't have the weapon (or I don't think I do anyway) - I have I think 8 or 9 hearts at the moment - I upgraded stamina twice but maybe I should have gone hard on hearts. Need to find some more shrines (the shrine locator is a useless pile of shite).

Yeah, the blood moon respawns enemies and weapons that are lying around outside (so not ones in chests). So they will be there again after every blood moon.

Some enemies have decent weapons so I would just even try to remember where I found some good stuff.

-Arcadia-

Banned
To an extent, I'd almost say you can't go wrong with anything interesting looking with a Nintendo logo.

There's a rare game like 1-2 Switch, where okay, yes, you can go wrong with that, especially for the price, lol, but their Switch offering may be one of their most consistent ever. Just about everything is good, great, or absolutely fantastic.

I'd just haunt some best-of-Switch lists, and check out the coolest looking games to you.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the blood moon respawns enemies and weapons that are lying around outside (so not ones in chests). So they will be there again after every blood moon.

Some enemies have decent weapons so I would just even try to remember where I found some good stuff.

I'll definitely do that. I had obviously found out that the blood moon respawned enemies, it just hadn't occurred to me that weapons would respawn too, so I'll have to go hunting around to figure out where the good shit is. I also need to find some more god damn shrines - I'm having a bit of trouble finding any of the bastards at the moment.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I'll definitely do that. I had obviously found out that the blood moon respawned enemies, it just hadn't occurred to me that weapons would respawn too, so I'll have to go hunting around to figure out where the good shit is. I also need to find some more god damn shrines - I'm having a bit of trouble finding any of the bastards at the moment.

I thinkI finally needed to resort to a guide to find all of the shrines before I headed to hyrule castle.

glad your still plugging away!

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I thinkI finally needed to resort to a guide to find all of the shrines before I headed to hyrule castle.

glad your still plugging away!

S Saruhashi mentioned sneaking into Hyrule but tbh I don't fancy it just yet - not until I get some better gear at least and know what I'm doing a bit more. I actually got a bit distracted as I was about to go in and deal with the mechanical lizard on on the volcano but concluded I didn't have enough bomb arrows so I went to go get some but got caught up in some other stuff and ran out of decent gear. I reckon though I'll continue hunting for decent gear and shrines and then go back to the lizard.

Saruhashi

Banned
S Saruhashi mentioned sneaking into Hyrule but tbh I don't fancy it just yet - not until I get some better gear at least and know what I'm doing a bit more. I actually got a bit distracted as I was about to go in and deal with the mechanical lizard on on the volcano but concluded I didn't have enough bomb arrows so I went to go get some but got caught up in some other stuff and ran out of decent gear. I reckon though I'll continue hunting for decent gear and shrines and then go back to the lizard.

Yeah I sneaked my way in there early on in my playthrough and stole some good stuff. :)
The lower levels are accessible and it's pretty fun trying to play stealthily.

Red Lynels are, I think, they easiest to beat and they drop good stuff. There's one behind Zora's domain at shatterback point. The guardians in the "test of strength" shirnes drop good stuff too. If you can sneak into the coliseum ruins there is some stuff in there too I think.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Super Mario Bros U Deluxe Penis is excellent too.

Note that you can buy a physical copy of either, try it and if you don't like it you can sell it for a pretty tiny loss as second hand prices hold pretty well.

For me, the Switch has made a huge change to how I play games and it's definitely for the better. I bought mine a couple of months ago and I've honestly been delighted with it.

That doesn't sound very family friendly.

Good to know about used copies retaining their value. Glad you're enjoying your Switch. I read your earlier thread on it, and that was actually one of the things that put the idea in my head.

In terms of simple yet engaging games I'd definitely recommend Luigi's Mansion 3. What sort of genres do you like?

Well, traditionally, WRPGs and action-adventure games, although like I say, I've been kind of tiring of the formulas in a lot of those, and I'm looking to Nintendo for something a little different, more fun and lighthearted. I have tried some JRPGs without much success, although I did like Lost Odyssey on the Xbox, way back when. The thing that turns me off JRPGs is the turn-based combat (I know they don't all have this), the combat numbers flying all over the screen, and some of the overly cutesy characters. From what I've heard, I think Xenoblade Chronicles might appeal to me.

Traditionally, I haven't been a big fan of platformers, partly because they usually lack story (which I generally like) and I always reach a point of frustration with them. I'm not the most coordinated guy, I guess, so all the carefully timed button-pressing can get annoying, at least in the more challenging platformers. I've been enjoying SpongeBob lately, and I've enjoyed Ratchet & Clank in the past, as well as several indie platformers (typically on the easy and colorful/artistic, side, e.g., Inside, Gris).

Jooxed

Gold Member

Trust me brother, find all of the shrines for something cool before you head in. Avoid spoilers if possible.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Trust me brother, find all of the shrines for something cool before you head in. Avoid spoilers if possible.

I've been strenuously avoiding spoilers and will continue to do so. Must find more shrines. It really is a fucking magnificent game - the gameplay loop is more or less perfect, worth getting the Switch for all on its own I'd say.

Oh and Humdinger Humdinger - one quick recommendation: Streets Of Rage 4. Yes I know it's cross-platform so if you have it on another console don't bother but if you only have it on PC get it on Switch so you can play it on a big TV. It's absolutely fucking wonderful - a real love letter to beat em ups.

- Zelda BotW
- Mario Odyssey
- Mario Kart 8
- Deadly Premonition 2
- Xenoblade Chronicles

With BotW, Odyssey and Xenoblade, you have at least 220 hours of gaming ahead of you. Since Xenoblade 2 is vastly better than 1, you ought to add that, too, which adds another 70 hours, making it about 300 hours of gaming (and I'm low-balling the hours for each game here).

Once you're done with those, BotW 2, a new Monolith Soft-game and Shin Megami Tensei 5 will *actually* be out, each one likely adding another 100 hours. And if you really run out of games until then, there's Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Luigi's Mansion 3. No More Heroes 3 and Bayonetta 3 will be out by then, too,

That's ignoring many neat 3rd-party games and indie-titles.

Buying a Switch at this point of its life certainly can't be a wrong decision if you have so many intriguing titles already.

Looks like I wasn't lucky! I concluded though that there might be some kind of scaling as I had some trouble with a shrine and ended up looking at a youtube video (I know - I am suitably ashamed of myself) to figure it out and the weapon drops were the same weapon but with much much better stats than what I got, which leads me to believe in some possibility of scaling.

Weapon stats are essentially random, each time you open a chest you'll get a weapon with attack or durability upgrades that are randomly generated at the moment you open the chest. Restore a save and open the chest again and it could be better or worse, no way to tell ahead of time. The part that does scale is enemy strength; the more hearts / stamina you have, the stronger the enemies you face will become. Lynels get stronger, silver bokoblins / moblins appear, etc. This only affects the lesser enemies; major bosses (Hinox, Talus, Ganon) remain unaffected by your strength.

Woopah

That doesn't sound very family friendly.

Good to know about used copies retaining their value. Glad you're enjoying your Switch. I read your earlier thread on it, and that was actually one of the things that put the idea in my head.

Well, traditionally, WRPGs and action-adventure games, although like I say, I've been kind of tiring of the formulas in a lot of those, and I'm looking to Nintendo for something a little different, more fun and lighthearted. I have tried some JRPGs without much success, although I did like Lost Odyssey on the Xbox, way back when. The thing that turns me off JRPGs is the turn-based combat (I know they don't all have this), the combat numbers flying all over the screen, and some of the overly cutesy characters. From what I've heard, I think Xenoblade Chronicles might appeal to me.

Traditionally, I haven't been a big fan of platformers, partly because they usually lack story (which I generally like) and I always reach a point of frustration with them. I'm not the most coordinated guy, I guess, so all the carefully timed button-pressing can get annoying, at least in the more challenging platformers. I've been enjoying SpongeBob lately, and I've enjoyed Ratchet & Clank in the past, as well as several indie platformers (typically on the easy and colorful/artistic, side, e.g., Inside, Gris).
Captain Toad and Links Awakening definitely fit the fun and light hearted criteria.
Damn, I'm yet to play this. Will do it once I do a couple more endings of Hollow Knight.
Hoovering up all the money is pretty satisfying.

One rumor. I need one rumor.

Hey, you guys heard about Wario Land 5?
Heard nothing but wouldn't surprise me if that's what Good Feel are working on.

tkscz

No rumors I'm afraid, but I do have something interesting. Looks like nVidia released the Tegra Jetson nano Xavier NX (the successor to the Jetson Nano, which was basically the Switch but with half the CUDA cores) about a month ago and while nVidia said it's not meant for gaming, ETA-Prime decided to run emulators on it anyway

I bring this up because when talking about a Switch Pro or Switch successor people bring up the Xavier, and it's successor chipset the Orin, as the hardware that would be used, but others turn that down, saying the hardware can't run games, me being one of those people. Well looks like it can, it just isn't being sold as doing so. I guess GPU hardware can always be used as such.

I would hope that the successor tot he switch would use Orin, if for anything, it's 7nm, which would work great for a handheld device.

One more thing to point out is the Xavier NX is the size of SO-DIMM (laptop) RAM, but has double the RAM, 128 more CUDA cores (that are two generations ahead) and still has the tensor core unit on it and still only uses a max of 15w. It could easily be used as a Switch Pro, but if they were going to release a Pro, I would rather they use the Xavier AGX board due to higher specs (512 CUDA cores instead of 384. LPDDR4X instead of LPDDR4. Higher clocks and still small enough to fit inside the current Switch's casing and use 15w of power).

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
they are still hiring for it so unfortunately it looks like we may see it by 2040

fuck my life
giphy.gif

-Arcadia-

Banned
Debate on his intentions aside, I just can't figure out who writes that post, doubles down twice more with edits, and thinks, 'This is fine. My peers will agree and celebrate me for this.'

That's almost what makes me think we're looking at some tard autism here, but... at the same time, so much about that post is damning. I can't disagree with the actions taken, I really can't.

Just a shame. I enjoyed the guy ultimately, and found him to be a character here. I don't think he meant to say that shit, or just big brained himself into a terrible line of thought, in his crusade against censorship, but it's done now.

RIP

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Debate on his intentions aside, I just can't figure out who writes that post, doubles down twice more with edits, and thinks, 'This is fine. My peers will agree and celebrate me for this.'

That's almost what makes me think we're looking at some tard autism here, but... at the same time, so much about that post is damning. I can't disagree with the actions taken, I really can't.

Just a shame. I enjoyed the guy ultimately, and found him to be a character here. I don't think he meant to say that shit, or just big brained himself into a terrible line of thought, in his crusade against censorship, but it's done now.

RIP
They forgot my drink, I blame you specifically

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Bit of a weird question but has anyone got any tips on how to be faster on Mario Kart? I'm decent in sim racing but my wife destroys me every time in Mario Kart - she has a remarkable knack of having the right shell at the right time while all I get is sodding bananas.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Bit of a weird question but has anyone got any tips on how to be faster on Mario Kart? I'm decent in sim racing but my wife destroys me every time in Mario Kart - she has a remarkable knack of having the right shell at the right time while all I get is sodding bananas.
If you're in first, keep that banana in case someone gets a red shell. That way you can hold it behind you and block it.

As for speed, are you taking advantage of drifting and drafting when someone is ahead of you?

Another small thing, is making sure you have 10 coins at all time in order to get that small speed boost.

NintendoGAF should get a Mario Kart room going sometime.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
If you're in first, keep that banana in case someone gets a red shell. That way you can hold it behind you and block it.

As for speed, are you taking advantage of drifting and drafting when someone is ahead of you?

Another small thing, is making sure you have 10 coins at all time in order to get that small speed boost.

NintendoGAF should get a Mario Kart room going sometime.

Didn't know the banana could block shells - that's definitely news to me! Drifting - yeah I'm doing plenty of that, and I've figured out the longer you hold it the bigger the boost. I did also wonder what the coins were for and upon googling found out about the small speed boost they offer. The thing is she destroys me at Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed Long-Name Penis Ohmygodisthisevergoingtoend as well. She's just unreasonably good at karting games (and shit at everything else). I must destroy her, it's important.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Mario Maker 2 just turned up. I think I know what I'll be doing tonight.

Jooxed

Gold Member
You're being a bit optimistic there aren't you? My chances of building anything not-shit are basically zero!

I built a hill once, it took me 5 hours. I watch a guy from GAF that streams Arozay Arozay If you check out some of his levels (his mario maker ID is on his twitch channel) they are pretty intense and rage inducing.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I built a hill once, it took me 5 hours. I watch a guy from GAF that streams Arozay Arozay If you check out some of his levels (his mario maker ID is on his twitch channel) they are pretty intense and rage inducing.

I suppose I could make a level made entirely of penises and swearing. I reckon that would be good childish fun.

Top Bottom