• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

StormCell

Debate on his intentions aside, I just can't figure out who writes that post, doubles down twice more with edits, and thinks, 'This is fine. My peers will agree and celebrate me for this.'

That's almost what makes me think we're looking at some tard autism here, but... at the same time, so much about that post is damning. I can't disagree with the actions taken, I really can't.

Just a shame. I enjoyed the guy ultimately, and found him to be a character here. I don't think he meant to say that shit, or just big brained himself into a terrible line of thought, in his crusade against censorship, but it's done now.

RIP

Someone who thinks way too far ahead and doesn't see the road ending directly in front of him. I believe that's the hallmark of higher level autistic thinking.

In the end, I think we all know who is to blame.

It's Nintendo.

If they had just given us the distractions we've needed these past few painfully silent months, OF would not have strayed so far from the straight and narrow... he would still be among our ranks.

Last edited:
praise_facts.png

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Disappointed the story mode levels aren’t multiplayer. Had a look at course world and there seems to be absolute shite in there. Story mode in single player is decent enough at least but that’s as far as it goes. Not sure Mario Maker 2 is going to end up being my best purchase.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Disappointed the story mode levels aren’t multiplayer. Had a look at course world and there seems to be absolute shite in there. Story mode in single player is decent enough at least but that’s as far as it goes. Not sure Mario Maker 2 is going to end up being my best purchase.

Make sure you sort them by top rated and completed and go from there. I have less than a few hours put into the game but it's decent to pick up every now and then and play through a couple of courses. I just like to see people's creativity and the stuff that they come up with.

ShinNL

I love stuff like this. I think I bought every game that's thought to be not feasible on the Switch, even if they were outside my comfort zone (Wolfenstein and DOOM in particular).

But for me the biggest hype this year will be Warframe Tennocon. I started the game on Switch and still only play it on the Switch, so it's pretty much a Switch game for me. Aside from gameplay, it's still the prettiest game on the Switch (originally ported by Panic Button).

I noticed Metro Redux is getting cheaper in my country.... another one of those show cases I'm gonna end up buying soon.

Does anyone recommend Saint's Row 4? It's super cheap in the Netherlands right now :messenger_face_screaming:

Jooxed

Gold Member
I love stuff like this. I think I bought every game that's thought to be not feasible on the Switch, even if they were outside my comfort zone (Wolfenstein and DOOM in particular).

But for me the biggest hype this year will be Warframe Tennocon. I started the game on Switch and still only play it on the Switch, so it's pretty much a Switch game for me. Aside from gameplay, it's still the prettiest game on the Switch (originally ported by Panic Button).

I noticed Metro Redux is getting cheaper in my country.... another one of those show cases I'm gonna end up buying soon.

Does anyone recommend Saint's Row 4? It's super cheap in the Netherlands right now :messenger_face_screaming:

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Think I’m quite near the end of Mario Odyssey - I’m battling the broodals all in a weird robot thing while I’m being a bird. Honestly I’ll be kinda sad when I finish it because it’s been such a blast. There’s so much creativity on show and so many brilliant ideas that don’t outstay their welcome.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Think I’m quite near the end of Mario Odyssey - I’m battling the broodals all in a weird robot thing while I’m being a bird. Honestly I’ll be kinda sad when I finish it because it’s been such a blast. There’s so much creativity on show and so many brilliant ideas that don’t outstay their welcome.

One of the best moments for me was climbing the New Donk City Skyscraper.

I wish more games follow that design of open levels containing multiple short levels as it was such a joy. Really felt like they got the movement of Mario 64, the tighter platform challenges of Sunshine, the production values of Galaxy and the inventiveness of 3D World. It's a "best of" game through and through.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
One of the best moments for me was climbing the New Donk City Skyscraper.

That really was epic. The city was just amazing, so many awesome fun places to go, so full of sheer joy of movement.

Woopah

There's still a few other things for you to do :)

Thurible

Keep in mind this person was also one of the ones to leak the Mini direct before or right around the same time as Jeff Grubb

Golly I hope so. It feels like kind of a drought with nintendo releases recently. All titles coming out that I can think of off hand is paper mario: origami king and pokemon dlc (crown tundra).

Jooxed

Gold Member
Damn I was considering double-dipping but not at that price.

I expect it to go on a steep sale pretty quickly. I watched game play of the beginning of the game and it didn't seem like it was for me just climbing and it being a puzzle. Maybe I was missing something on the stream I watched.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I expect it to go on a steep sale pretty quickly. I watched game play of the beginning of the game and it didn't seem like it was for me just climbing and it being a puzzle. Maybe I was missing something on the stream I watched.

It's actually a brilliant game, the puzzles are one thing (and actually they're very good - I'm not normally that into puzzle games) but the story really is excellent and the game world away from the puzzles is a lot of fun. Full Body has a few extras vs the Classic version on PC hence the temptation to double dip but yeah I'll be waiting for a sale.

Jooxed

Gold Member
It's actually a brilliant game, the puzzles are one thing (and actually they're very good - I'm not normally that into puzzle games) but the story really is excellent and the game world away from the puzzles is a lot of fun. Full Body has a few extras vs the Classic version on PC hence the temptation to double dip but yeah I'll be waiting for a sale.

Hmm perhaps I will also give it a shot when it goes on sale. Thanks!

ExpandKong

Banned

Yeah seconding this. I played the game originally when it first came out in 2011, the story really clicked with me as a youngish dude who had been dating my future wife for about a year. Not sure how the extra scenes and characters jive with this version but sounds like it’s all good, will be interesting to replay this now.

EDIT the puzzle gameplay is pretty great too.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Wife is on the Switch playing Animal Crossing so I’m on the Wii U emulator playing Super Mario 3D World. It really is lovely. A bit more conservative than Odyssey but still bloody fantastic.

I wanna play this so badly.

Please Nintendo release the Switch port this year. It's the 35th Birthday of SMB, we are over half way through the year, and I still haven't had a Mario fix yet.

-Arcadia-

Banned

The story is coming to an end, but the game isn't. That's all I'll say.

I am , as a consumer , beginning to sour on the way Nintendo has been doing things to maximize profits as of late. I feel as tho they are only offering 1-2 games every few months , and they are often extremely niche . The constant stream of 5-10 year old ports at almost full cost is also very frustrating . We currently have zero information on any blockbuster titles , only constant rehashing of smash bros / splatoon / animal crossing social media blips .

Astral Dog

I am , as a consumer , beginning to sour on the way Nintendo has been doing things to maximize profits as of late. I feel as tho they are only offering 1-2 games every few months , and they are often extremely niche . The constant stream of 5-10 year old ports at almost full cost is also very frustrating . We currently have zero information on any blockbuster titles , only constant rehashing of smash bros / splatoon / animal crossing social media blips .
whaaaa

i don't like it= niche???

whaaaa

Not sure how you made it past the "I am, as a consumer" opener. I'm not saying this as an apologist, but it irks me somewhat that people act like buying a console is like subscribing to a service. While there are plenty of valid criticism to throw at Nintendo lately (my boy Outrageous used to do it like a champ, miss you friend <3 ), I mean come on man they're not like harming your rights and shit lol.

whaaaa

Personally I would say that Nintnedo's first party output has been mostly RPG like titles for while which I can understand might be off putting.

Pokemon
Tokyo Mirage Sessions port
Animal Crossing
Xenoblade
Pokemon Expansion
Paper Mario

All of them are either straight up PRGs or heavily use RPG mechanics. Nintendo needs to do a better job of mixing it up, throw in a platformer or a sports game. Something a little more reliant on reflexes.

Right now would be the absolute perfect time for a new F-Zero or Wave Race, or a third DKC retro game.

Hell a new Wave Race in the summer time is an absolute no brainer.

Astral Dog

Personally I would say that Nintnedo's first party output has been mostly RPG like titles for while which I can understand might be off putting.

Pokemon
Tokyo Mirage Sessions port
Animal Crossing
Xenoblade
Pokemon Expansion
Paper Mario

All of them are either straight up PRGs or heavily use RPG mechanics. Nintendo needs to do a better job of mixing it up, throw in a platformer or a sports game. Something a little more reliant on reflexes.

Right now would be the absolute perfect time for a new F-Zero or Wave Race, or a third DKC retro game.

Hell a new Wave Race in the summer time is an absolute no brainer.
Sure they could do better but, its always going to be like this, Nintendo does its own thing they can't and aren't interested in coveing every genre or gamer taste. Much less Microsoft, not even Sony could (though you could argue theirs are more appealing for the AAA crowd, so less niche) thats why they need strong third party to make the Switch an overall strong product.

However labeling their game lineup as Extremely niche is quite silly, is Luigis Mansion niche? what about Pokemon, Paper Mario, Links Awakening, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, even Astral Chain an action game did a respectable 1 million and Xenoblade close to 2 million, their fitness game is sold out too,They have been killing it with their Switch lineup people want more

But obviously the 2020 drought is felt every day thats true :'^(

Sure they could do better but, its always going to be like this, Nintendo does its own thing they can't and aren't interested in coveing every genre or gamer taste. Much less Microsoft, not even Sony could (though you could argue theirs are more appealing for the AAA crowd, so less niche) thats why they need strong third party to make the Switch an overall strong product.

However labeling their game lineup as Extremely niche is quite silly, is Luigis Mansion niche? what about Pokemon, Paper Mario, Links Awakening, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, even Astral Chain an action game did a respectable 1 million and Xenoblade close to 2 million, their fitness game is sold out too,They have been killing it with their Switch lineup people want more

But obviously the 2020 drought is felt every day thats true :'^(

I never said anything about being niche so don't put words in my mouth, I specifically mentioned that they were mostly titles that were RPG's or had heavy RPG mechanics and were slower paced games. Luigi's Mansion 3 is a slow paced game as well even though it doesn't really have any heavy RPG mechanics. I will but this in bold. I never said anything about being niche I said they've been releasing too many RPG's out of their 1st party lineup without mixing it up with anything in between the past year and I can understand that if someone is not a fan of RPGs or slower titles they might be disappointed.

Astral Chain is less then two months away from being a year old so it doesn't really count.

I specifically mentioned that they need more reflex oriented titles that are faster paced and mix things up better.

Astral Dog

I never said anything about being niche so don't put words in my mouth, I specifically mentioned that they were mostly titles that were RPG's or had heavy RPG mechanics and were slower paced games. Luigi's Mansion 3 is a slow paced game as well even though it doesn't really have any heavy RPG mechanics. I will but this in bold. I never said anything about being niche I said they've been releasing too many RPG's out of their 1st party lineup without mixing it up with anything in between the past year and I can understand that if someone is not a fan of RPGs or slower titles they might be disappointed.

Astral Chain is less then two months away from being a year old so it doesn't really count.

I specifically mentioned that they need more reflex oriented titles that are faster paced and mix things up better.
I was talking about the other guy's comment 🤭
My only problem is with describing Nintendo's Switch lineup as 'extremely'niche because it doesn't cater to everyone's tastes

Top Bottom