• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
I love how I legitimately get hyped for new footage of these games, like I haven't played them a thousand times, lol.

I'm so excited, though. Two weeks has never felt this slow.
I never had a N64 growing up. Lost every single GameCube game save three times (don't want to talk about it-but can report that all my siblings are still alive). Skipped most of the Wii era as I was too busy playing Halo and navigating high school/college; the girls didn't want to date me for my Nintendo games (they didn't seem interested in my Halo either...weird). So might as well be a fresh run for me.

See, this is what I'm thinking in the back of my head in those 'just emulate it!' threads, but without a gaming PC, I can't really chime in.

I'm always hearing about bugs, weirdness, and stuff that's off in these emulators, and that isn't something I want to mess with. I want an official release that, pardon the Apple propaganda, just works.

I think you'll really like Sunshine. It's the roughest 3D Mario in some places, but it is an awesome sequel to Mario 64, that takes all the exploration and fun of that game to the next level.
I understand. I will always go for an official release as well.

For what it's worth, N64 Emulation has taken a huge step forward in recent months actually but it has been a notoriously difficult system to emulate. This collection will still be emulated but official emulators should in theory be more accurate. Then again even Nintendo's emulators have had problems-Majora's Mask on GameCube comes to mind. Unfortunately, we still don't have cycle accurate N64 emulation and if we did it would require a decently powerful PC. What I find particularly disappointing is when unofficial community driven emulation efforts end up being better than the official emulation releases. Nintendo is generally pretty good about delivering an adequate experience but other companies fall short in this area often. That said, neither unofficial or official emulation can overcome certain issues inherent to emulation like input latency.

This is why I feel like FPGA is the the future. Essentially hardware level emulation. IMO, this is the best way to simultaneously preserve the experience as it was and simultaneously deal w/ problems like scaling. I wish Nintendo would work on their own FPGA solution.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I never had a N64 growing up. Lost every single GameCube game save three times (don't want to talk about it-but can report that all my siblings are still alive). Skipped most of the Wii era as I was too busy playing Halo and navigating high school/college; the girls didn't want to date me for my Nintendo games (they didn't seem interested in my Halo either...weird). So might as well be a fresh run for me.

I’m actually jealous. I’d never give up my memories of playing them on release, but I don’t know if you have any idea what you’re getting into. Just one game alone in this package is the Game of the Forever, the other is an all-time classic that created modern 3D gaming, and the last is Super Mario Sunshine.

:messenger_tears_of_joy: I’m sorry, even after all these years, I can’t help ragging on Sunshine. It’s absolutely wonderful and stuffed with memories too.

I would love to hear your impressions as you play through them.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
I’m actually jealous. I’d never give up my memories of playing them on release, but I don’t know if you have any idea what you’re getting into. Just one game alone in this package is the Game of the Forever, the other is an all-time classic that created modern 3D gaming, and the last is Super Mario Sunshine.

:messenger_tears_of_joy: I’m sorry, even after all these years, I can’t help ragging on Sunshine. It’s absolutely wonderful and stuffed with memories too.

I would love to hear your impressions as you play through them.
I've played a good portion of 64 and got a good way through Sunshine before I lost my saves but will post my thoughts. I've made a good effort to catch up on games I missed out on growing up. I had a SNES and a GameCube when I was younger so I actually ended up playing Ocarina of Time and some of those N64 games on GameCube/other re-releases. I don't know about Game of the Forever though-that title has to belong to A Link to the Past.

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member

UabqLPn.png

Well... agree with what you said. I have 2500 in Splatoon 2 and aboit the same in the first one too. Got X rank in S2 in all the modes and used to have fun occassionally but I got too many times annoyed by the game (matchmaking mostly but also the weapon balance which was all over the place: when they finally got it about right, the next patch threw it down the toilet again).

Game mechanics and controls are truly excellent. The idea is great and when it is fun, it is really fun. But far too often the game throws something at you like trying to stop you from having fun. You are playing casually with friends and then the game decides to put you against some 2400 team three or four times in row. And so on.

Shame about it, I really appreciate what it tries to be but for me some aspects of the design turned me off and I haven't played since December. That said, got 2500 hours out of it so...

Apologies for double post, but I think that Daemon x Machina is way more fun online than Splatoon 2, that said I play S2 just to have fun online on probably one mode. The Salmon Run I honestly don't get and tends to be timed? Ranked battles are locked until you get to a certain level (which I am not at because I don't pkay the game all that often), and I don't really like certain weapons but have to use them as I am not a high level.

DxM has none of that and I can go into Online Matches regardless of skill or attack level and genuinely love the Co-Op Mechanics and Options. I still haven't really gotten far in the Story Mode but it is certainly a great online co-op game compared to Splatoon but I play the latter purely now and again for fun.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

-Arcadia-

Banned
He's gone and turned all his old posts to dots.. that's a lot of effort! I'm guessing something in https://www.neogaf.com/threads/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-vs-super-smash-bros-ultimate.1565935 pissed him off as it seems he was posting there and we all know how hostile gaf can be for nintendies. No fucking idea though tbh.

(Sigh) Yeah, that would probably track. I hope he reconsiders, but I would say to him and any others, to consider using the ignore button before leaving. One controversial enough thread, and you’ll have almost all the problem posters removed. They’re like moths to a flame.

Alternatively, if you don’t want to use that, you just have to come to an understanding that Gaf puts ideas above curation, and that is ultimately wonderful, for enabling each of us to speak our minds, or discover whole new perspectives. That unfortunately comes with allowing bad takes too.

You either have to be super tough, and ready to get rowdy (I suppose this is me, lol), or make use of an invaluable feature to customize your experience into what you want it to be.

But the worst choice of all, is just leaving. Stupid hot takes are temporary. Built friendships and fondness of one another are not. It sucks for you, and us, when one of you makes the choice to leave over this stuff.

If that’s what it is. I don’t want to set his motives in concrete, without knowing anything.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Borrowed from the other thread....Sorry Gormless Noodle Gormless Noodle this gave me a good chuckle

Never forget.

As hilarious as that is, and I will tease him too :messenger_winking:, in fairness, I was so disappointed with the January show, that I was truly worried about the future of Nintendo. I almost didn’t even feel like preordering, I was so down on it.

I think a lot of people came out of that show like that, because Nintendo left out one very important detail. Every single damn game shown, was going to release in one nine-month span.

Likewise, nobody knew or understood how important indies were going to be to this platform, and how reliable a constant source of content inbetween big releases.

So, you had this paradigm of Zelda, a Wii U warm-over (again, in practice, it was wonderful, but we didn’t know that), being the only exciting thing with a release date, people not realizing ARMS was going to be awesome and not a Wii Sports minigame, no indies touched upon, games that seemed like they’d be a year or two away, all in the era of Nintendo’s biggest console failure.

As much as I loved the hardware concept, that was direly worrying, and I’m so glad it didn’t work out anything like that. Only Nintendo could make a hype show that comes off hideously awful, while actually having one of the best years in Nintendo history, lol.

But still. #TekkieIsOverParty

Nico_D

The Salmon Run I honestly don't get and tends to be timed? Ranked battles are locked until you get to a certain level (which I am not at because I don't pkay the game all that often), and I don't really like certain weapons but have to use them as I am not a high level.

Splatoon really shines on a "higher" playing level when all the players play together. It is possible to get really good at it. Also there are a lot of good weapons, certainly something to suit each play style. But as said, multiplayer is problematic but I think many multiplayer games suffer from the same problems: matchmaking, camping...

Patch imbalance is all Splatoon though.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

So I was thinking a bit about how Apple and Nintendo have some similarities (hang on, don't shoot me yet). One of the things that video shows is how a technie nerd, an engineer, will think about the tech, but the path that Apple chose, and I think Nintendo too, is to consider what it is they want to sell to the customer (and what the customer is going to enjoy using) and then figure out how to actually make that thing. The tech is secondary, a means to an end, and that's something techie geeks like me often forget. I think in some ways that's the difference between Nintendo and the other guys, where the focus is on Teraflops (who gives a flying fuck) and 4k. The truth is most people don't care about those things, they just want to have a good time.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
It looks like I'm not getting 3D All Stars on friday. It's sold out and now my shipping status is week 2 in November. And I pre-ordered it the same day pre-orders went up. Sweden certainly is Nintendo land. Oh well, I got Paper Mario and Xenoblade Chronicles to go through 🤷‍♂️

Paper Mario is awesome. I should probably have a look at XC at some point but my backlog is horrendous and Friday isn't going to help (not cancelled yet - fingers crossed).

ExpandKong

Banned
I think I might just stay in this thread only for today everything else is emotionally exhausting and spiritually draining.

Those areas (you are now singing the theme in your head) are amazing. What I really loved, is how brutal they were. There is nothing else like this in all of 3D Mario, where you will fail over and over again, and even be forced to use advanced moves and your uppermost skills. It is so rewarding to finish one of these.

I haven't played through Sunshine since it first came out but the two things I remember fondly are the FLUDD-free levels and the hotel level. The third thing I remember fondly is using an Action Replay to mess with the jump physics and using tightropes to launch myself into the upper atmosphere.

New firmware update:

Ver. 10.2.0 (Released September 14, 2020)

General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience.

oh yes daddy more stability please it's so fucking stable now

So I was thinking a bit about how Apple and Nintendo have some similarities (hang on, don't shoot me yet). One of the things that video shows is how a technie nerd, an engineer, will think about the tech, but the path that Apple chose, and I think Nintendo too, is to consider what it is they want to sell to the customer (and what the customer is going to enjoy using) and then figure out how to actually make that thing. The tech is secondary, a means to an end, and that's something techie geeks like me often forget. I think in some ways that's the difference between Nintendo and the other guys, where the focus is on Teraflops (who gives a flying fuck) and 4k. The truth is most people don't care about those things, they just want to have a good time.

That's how I feel at least. I just don't understand the obsession with counting pixels and getting really upset about frame pacing and all that, I mean damn spend your youth playing an OG Game Boy where you can't even see shit unless there's a light directly over your shoulder and then get your mind completely blown out of your ass by Ocarina of Time in all its 17fps glory on a mono TV and then the difference between 900p and 1080p is basically nothing.

I play Mortal Kombat 11 on my Switch that's how much of a fuck I give.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I think I might just stay in this thread only for today everything else is emotionally exhausting and spiritually draining.

I haven't played through Sunshine since it first came out but the two things I remember fondly are the FLUDD-free levels and the hotel level. The third thing I remember fondly is using an Action Replay to mess with the jump physics and using tightropes to launch myself into the upper atmosphere.

oh yes daddy more stability please it's so fucking stable now

That's how I feel at least. I just don't understand the obsession with counting pixels and getting really upset about frame pacing and all that, I mean damn spend your youth playing an OG Game Boy where you can't even see shit unless there's a light directly over your shoulder and then get your mind completely blown out of your ass by Ocarina of Time in all its 17fps glory on a mono TV and then the difference between 900p and 1080p is basically nothing.

Welcome to the quarantine thread club.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

Diminishing returns and all that. I think in a way that the hate Nintendo gets here is for the same reasons though that Apple gets hate. It's expensive for lower-level tech, but it's beautifully put-together, locked down as tight as a gnat's bumhole as they have a vision and won't compromise on it. Some people don't like those things. They want cheap games so they can build that backlog, rather than buying a few games and really taking the time to enjoy them. They want the e-peen that comes with having the fastest processor (sure back in the day it mattered, but now not so much). Finally there is that fact of wanting to play those awesome Nintendo games but being unwilling or unable to buy the hardware - this is where you get the emulation assholes of course (neglecting to mention that they're running those emulators on very expensive PCs if they're getting anywhere near decent performance).

StormCell

Diminishing returns and all that. I think in a way that the hate Nintendo gets here is for the same reasons though that Apple gets hate. It's expensive for lower-level tech, but it's beautifully put-together, locked down as tight as a gnat's bumhole as they have a vision and won't compromise on it. Some people don't like those things. They want cheap games so they can build that backlog, rather than buying a few games and really taking the time to enjoy them. They want the e-peen that comes with having the fastest processor (sure back in the day it mattered, but now not so much). Finally there is that fact of wanting to play those awesome Nintendo games but being unwilling or unable to buy the hardware - this is where you get the emulation assholes of course (neglecting to mention that they're running those emulators on very expensive PCs if they're getting anywhere near decent performance).

No company is perfect. All of them deserve some hate. Nintendo makes a few of my favorite game series, and that's why I'm still here. And it is very similar to the Mac crowd. Until I chose a Macbook Pro for my work box, I had no clue why anyone would jump through the Apple hoops to buy and own outrageously-priced tech. In the end, what it seems to boil down to is a package that does what it's supposed to do. The problems arise when you begin drawing comparisons between the boxes. I'm never ever going to buy an Apple computer because half of the appeal for me is in gaming, which they don't do very well and their hardware prices are not friendly. I'll build it myself at half the cost. Similarly, comparing Switch to PS4, there's going to be a lot of differences that I don't necessarily think Nintendo should be free of criticism over. If that causes some people to hate Nintendo, then I think that's fair. You can want those precious Nintendo games while just not loving the hardware or the "garden" around it.

We choose to accept it as it is, although I've had to make a bit of a spiritual journey with Switch. I've gotten into a few arguments with some of you over the past couple of years over such things as Nintendo's online and the sluggish pace of their development pipeline. I deliberately toned that down, though. You can either live to like Nintendo or you ought to find another device to put your money into.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Anyone know how long it takes to get stuff from playasia? I ordered Crystal Chronicles and they shipped it august 28th

StormCell

One of my favorite quotes to aim at the haters when someone said that BoTW is copying Dark Souls

I think I find it more amusing that some of them seriously believe there is this group of hardcore Nintendo fans who are buying all the Switches, and that as soon as everyone in that group has a Switch, the sales will cliff dive.

These same people are probably devoted QAnon members. :messenger_smirking:

MagnesG

Banned
There's a pure retard clowning on that sales thread. It's both hilarious and sad. My enjoyment leveled up 90k though.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Cross posting from the thread about 3D All Stars not being ports in case anyone is interested. Some interesting caveats to the way Nintendo is approaching emulation in this package.

Was anyone anticipating anything different? It was clearly emulated with some updates to the rom files.

That said, some interesting bits here:
-N64 is Nintendo's proprietary emulator but is "patching" on the fly seemingly in pace of changes direct to the rom file
-This is the first time that Nintendo has done GameCube emulation
-Sunshine has an updated rom file instead of the on the fly patching that 64 has
-Galaxy is only emulated in part. The code was recompiled but rendering and audio has been offloaded to an emulator. This is a really interesting approach to things and IMO could offer a peek into what they might do with a Skyward Sword re-release

As far as the value of the package goes-while I certainly want more, I think this will be enough to keep people who just want to play the games happy. As far as emulated re-releases go this is pretty decent; could be better but decent enough.

All of that said-Nintendo is careful to not release anything too "cheap" as it would devalue their brands. These $60 releases, regardless of our perceived value, sell incredibly well and at the end of the day I can respect that-all about that demand curve.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Cross posting from the thread about 3D All Stars not being ports in case anyone is interested. Some interesting caveats to the way Nintendo is approaching emulation in this package.
That thread is an absolute dumpster fire of course, this being GAF.

Top Bottom