• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

The Wii Trilogy was updated for 16:9 support.

bd7.png

The screw attack Switch icon for the gameplay footage is a wild stretch, but I really do think Nintendo is trying to build market interest for something upcoming that's Donkey Kong related by releasing DKC 1-2 in back to back NSO updates.

They need to finish the trilogy. DKC 3 out alongside an announcement for Returns 3. The only problem is who would be developing it.

They haven't released a new game in half a century and now they're working in two of them? I doubt it.

There's always the possibility that they were far along in development of DKC 3 when MP4 development got shifted to them and Covid threw stuff off.

It's not that wild of a guess really. I definitely think something is up when Nintendo just put out DKC 1 on NSO two months ago. That's very un-Nintendo like with how they've been running NSO lately, they could have held off on putting DKC 2 up for a while and no one would have said anything.

Hey everyone,

I think you should all know something about the upcoming Super Mario 3D All-Stars game.

It's important that before you purchase it, ask yourself whether it's worth bringing dark energy into your homes.

Please read this thread and reconsider buying the collection so you can save yourselves and your loved ones from the Dark Rosicrucian Arts of Super Mario 64.

Thank you and have a blessed day 😊

-Arcadia-

Banned

Japanese Game Updates:
Super Tennis
Donkey Kong Country 2
Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem
Wild Guns

(Sigh) I don’t know if it’s feasible (it’s a lot of work), but if Nintendo translated these older FE games and brought them to the west too, I would be so happy. I feel like a lot of people would be, but it’s clear the cost/benefit analysis gives Nintendo some pause.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I would definitely sub a month for playing DKC 2. Only played the first one (and Tropical Freeze, if you count that one as canon).

Cutty Flam

Banned
Is the only thing holding back Nintendo from having the latest Resident Evil REmakes and games (RE2 REmake, RE3 REmake, RE7, RE8) the power of the Switch? Or does it have to do with an agreement from Capcom

-Arcadia-

Banned
Is the only thing holding back Nintendo from having the latest Resident Evil REmakes and games (RE2 REmake, RE3 REmake, RE7, RE8) the power of the Switch? Or does it have to do with an agreement from Capcom

I would be inclined to say the Switch. These are some gorgeous, boundary pushing games, and while we’ve seen stuff that fits that description come over before, every engine and set of tools is different. It may be that RE Engine just doesn’t play well with Switch.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I would be inclined to say the Switch. These are some gorgeous, boundary pushing games, and while we’ve seen stuff that fits that description come over before, every engine and set of tools is different. It may be that RE Engine just doesn’t play well with Switch.

well I wouldn’t count that out we should see an RE engine game soon enough.

however I do think they are a little much for the switch.
I remember they released VII in Japan only and streaming.

I think it’s just a raw power issue. Capcom released a streaming version of Resident Evil 7 in Japan, for the Switch, so I don’t think it’s an exclusivity deal.

Edit: Jooxed Jooxed beat me to it

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
I think it’s just a raw power issue. Capcom released a streaming version of Resident Evil 7 in Japan, for the Switch, so I don’t think it’s an exclusivity deal.

Edit: Jooxed Jooxed beat me to it
Japan is the only country to play RE7 on the Nintendo Switch? That’s kind of interesting and odd at the same time to me. Why wouldn’t they want to maximize the sales of their game? And sell it everywhere in North America / Europe etc.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Japan is the only country to play RE7 on the Nintendo Switch? That’s kind of interesting and odd at the same time to me. Why wouldn’t they want to maximize the sales of their game? And sell it everywhere in North America / Europe etc.

Online infrastructure, it’s widely believed. Japan, being a small country, is apparently ‘wired up’ much better than other parts of the world, with superior speeds.

-Arcadia-

Banned

I really don’t know what to think about this.

On one hand, some of the skits in the later Mario game are hilarious, really well animated, and genuinely fun to watch. That gives me a lot of hope.

On the other hand, they last a minute at best. I really don’t know how you get two hours of entertaining movie content out of a mute character. Maybe if Mario speaks? But I have another set of doubts about that, even if it could work.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I really don’t know what to think about this.

On one hand, some of the skits in the later Mario game are hilarious, really well animated, and genuinely fun to watch. That gives me a lot of hope.

On the other hand, they last a minute at best. I really don’t know how you get two hours of entertaining movie content out of a mute character. Maybe if Mario speaks? But I have another set of doubts about that, even if it could work.
Paper Mario: The Origami King is probably the funniest video game of all time. They need to hire the writer for that game, Taro Kudo, to collaborate and it’ll easily be worth admission off jokes alone

Jonah Hill plays Birdo and Danny DeVito plays Wario

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Tbh I'm not too bothered about a direct - I've got plenty to play for the rest of the year and into next with the mario all stars and 3d world games. If something nice comes out that's wonderful though I'm buggered if I can figure out where it'll fit in my schedule.

Last edited by a moderator:

KielCasto

Dumb question: How do I ensure that I’ve participated in the Mario Kart Tour event so that I can complete the mission for the pins? I’ve never played before, but I downloaded it this morning and played the first cup.
I downloaded it last week. I think just having the latest version means we are participating in the tour. You can check your progress in Challenges.

StormCell

StormCell

So this past weekend I finally went ahead and beat Donkey Kong Country. I hadn't played it in over a week and was only a few levels away.

A few days later, Nintendo has announced DKC2 in the next online update.

This is no mere coincidence. I believe Nintendo has begun to focus on me. They're aware that I'm mildly irritated with them...

Nintendo Exec: "The people seem pleased by our Mario Anniversary Direct"
Nintendo Underling: "Yes. They seem most uplifted"
Nintendo Exec: "..."
Nintendo Exec: "Resume operation hype crusher"
Nintendo Underling: "Announcing a Direct Mini Partner Showcase now, sir"

Nintendo fans have learned to really hate this Mini Partner Shocases lol. Although they should not by now to set expectations low, most of them go in ready to share how much of a letdown this was. Holiday 2020 DOOMED

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
(Sigh) I don’t know if it’s feasible (it’s a lot of work), but if Nintendo translated these older FE games and brought them to the west too, I would be so happy. I feel like a lot of people would be, but it’s clear the cost/benefit analysis gives Nintendo some pause.
I would be there day one. Honestly, I wouldn’t imagine it would cost that much-localization is marginal compared to development. I think the issue would come down to what vehicle they would use to distribute. What’s the ROI for a game like this...on NSO there isn’t any value in bothering with it. On the eShop as a $20+ release that changes. I would question what the break even is though. Would they sell enough to cover localization?

There are a ton of games that have either been “lost” or were never localized. Fire Emblem, BS Zelda, Captain Rainbow, For the Frog the Bell Tolls, etc would all sell with the Nintendo diehards. But probably not great ROI-mainstream doesn’t want to play old games outside of the occasional NES/SNES/N64 nostalgia hit. Most people are replying childhood favorites vs something new. There are some games that might make that leap into more mainstream excitement like Mother 3 but they are few and far between. So maybe they cover cost of localization, maybe not. Frankly I have no idea what it costs to localize a game but would interested in developing a model. All of that cost is dependent on the amount of text in the game too. Something dialogue heavy like an RPG would be expensive. The other issue is slotting them for release; putting Fire Emblem 776 out today for $30 would sell really well with Fire Emblem fans but those Fire Emblem fans probably happen to be big Nintendo fans in general. They might skip out on Pikmin now and buy FE instead. Nintendo would need to avoid cannibalizing their sales. The other part is opportunity cost-what else could the localization teams be doing instead and would that drive more revenue.

Nintendo certainly misses opportunities to maximize revenue. Talked about that with stuff like supply chain management, IP expansion, etc in the past. I wonder how often they produce models for projects like this though. I’m frankly not sure how often business cases are put forth in the industry. I would love to know though. If it were up to me I would certainly look to leveraging the back catalog more heavily-I think much could be done to simultaneously drive revenue growth and expand the brands while making sure to preserve the integrity of the product and not oversaturate the market.

One game I’ve been hoping for is the Famicom Detective remake. That was shown in a Japanese direct last year...was hoping they would show it in a US direct this year.

Dumb question: How do I ensure that I’ve participated in the Mario Kart Tour event so that I can complete the mission for the pins? I’ve never played before, but I downloaded it this morning and played the first cup.
I believe just race in one of the cups. You won’t receive credit on the mission until 9/29.

Last edited:
Top Bottom