• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
They already tried adding Anime to Metroid...
GW4tsse.jpg
lol a 6'3 woman infused with bird alien god dna in a powersuit hunting down aliens is about as anime as it can get and that was before Other M.

0rr7IKw.gif

Astral Dog

I don't know how much Nintendo looks into the desires of online communities but you'd have to assume that they do.

You've got a lot of people who just want the Wii U exclusives on Switch. There has been quite a lot of demand for these since the console was launched. People wanted Xenoblade X and Pikmin 3 and 3D Land and could we get wind waker HD and Twilight Princess HD etc etc. So Nintendo does exactly that. Here is the game. Now on Switch.

Thats exactly where the "lazy Nintendo" critics come in though and start on about how the games haven't been upgraded or whatever. It's too late at that point and also it tends to be criticism from folks who are either going to buy anyway or who were never going to buy.

For what it's worth I never played Pikmin 1 or 2 and I downloaded the demo for 3 and thought it looks like being a pretty solid game that looks good and has a strong and distinctive style. It is kind of obviously a Wii game that was delayed for Wii U. At least I think so. I played that whole demo using the joy-con as a pointer and can't imagine this was not intended to be played using the wii mote.

I tend to think that Nintendo is almost in a no win situation when it comes to online gaming communities. Like with 3D All Stars you've got this clamour with people wanting to play the classic games on the latest hardware and it's getting hyped for months but as soon as they announce there's a different crowd who takes over the conversation and just starts moaning about prices or emulation or graphics.

Not having a go at you personally.

For me the game looks fine but I confess to not being really that fussed about graphics.
while their Wii U ports haven't been that special (with a few exceptions) considering their price,this Is the first time It looks noticeably worse.like ok Wii U Pikmin didn't have perfect iq either but It was one of the visual showcases of the system,now the visuals aré butchered on the switch for some reason,we will move on when Nintendo announces more ports/games, but i still think its worth discussing

Humdinger

Well, I dialed back my exploratory ambitions a little with Zelda, got some pointers, and I'm doing better now. I think I got a little ahead of myself. I dialed it back and now I'm just focused on unlocking towers -- the traditional RPG activity. That's a good way to get acquainted with the territory, I figure, and have some adventures along the way. It'll make finding those locations in the pictures easier, too.

I'm glad I got some pointers. I wouldn't have figured half this stuff out by myself. I probably would've been annoyed to find out some of these things later. "You mean I could've ..." gar!

I turned off the shrine indicator (the beep-beep when you're near a shrine). I found it sort of annoying and not all that helpful. I see enough shrines with my two eyes as it is.

Actually the shrines are a little annoying, to be honest. I'm not a big fan of puzzles. I'd rather be outside adventuring, rather fussing with levers, balls, lights, conveyer belts, water features, etc. So sometimes, don't hate me, I cheat my way through them by looking at a Youtube video. Sometimes I just want to be done and move on. There was one puzzle that involved motion controls that had me wanting to do very unjoyful things. No help from Youtube on that one, lol.

I switched the B and X buttons. I think I've got that right. I still have to look at the controller to figure out which button is which. Making B the jump button felt more intuitive to me. Now I have to get used to it, because I'm half-programmed to think X is jump, so I keep undoing things when I'm trying to jump, and I've *splatted* a couple of times because I got my buttons confused.

I tried the "Pro" UI, too. I thought it was good, except I need the minimap, so I went back to Normal.

Anyhow, I've hit my stride and I'm starting to get into the game. I'm playing it enough to feel guilty about how much time I'm spending on it, which is my cue for being hooked on a game.

Humdinger

You get used to moving around without the minimap, shit's usually visible from miles away if you climb anywhere sort of high. It did lead to moments where I would open the map a lot, but most of the time navigation was solid as balls.

Ok, maybe I'll try it again. I already open the map a hundred times a session anyhow, so what's a few more. I do like the cleaner UI.

Wow. I want to stop making stupid mistakes and actually get that far, lol.

That looks amazing fun.

Think I had this happen like 4 times now, only won out once. One of em had a hammer bowser, regular bowsers, hammer brothers, flying fish everywhere and I was like

D811CD2E515FA002BC5CC4A0FF8C133F0B0D61FA

But anyways, mistakes are easily made in this game, just remember to not try to be too fast.

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
The only “deal” is really the 25% back on eShop gift cards if you have an Amazon credit card.

The mCable classic was on sale this morning as well for 25% off.

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
I'm excited as more developers are adding crossplay. Apex Legends is a great game with awful story/world building/character design. Top tier shooter though. Mechanically it is fantastic. IMO Apex and Warzone reign supreme on the BR front.

ExpandKong

Banned
Playing through Skyward Sword again (along with a half dozen or so other randomly selected games). It's definitely a lovely game and I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but it's kind of surprising to me that Nintendo went from something this rigidly structured to something as intimidatingly wide-open as Breath of the Wild for the very next mainline entry in the series.

Astral Dog

Playing through Skyward Sword again (along with a half dozen or so other randomly selected games). It's definitely a lovely game and I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but it's kind of surprising to me that Nintendo went from something this rigidly structured to something as intimidatingly wide-open as Breath of the Wild for the very next mainline entry in the series.
I think they just weren't happy with the results and listened to the feedback, SS sold much less than Twilight Princess and they couldn't just make SS part 2 to build hype.

Plus Xenoblade being so well recieved and open world games so popular Nintendo looked at the trends and decided to make their first open world Zelda in a long time. It wasn't possible with the technical limitations of the Wii.

Breath of the Wild came at the perfect time on the most adecuate console

Cutty Flam

Banned
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is a fairly poor LOZ game imo. Skyward Sword failed on so many levels. And Hidemaro Fujibayashi knows it too. That’s why I think he went all in with BOTW and outdid himself. He’s up there with Miyamoto, Aonuma now in terms of adding solid work to the franchise; I think he more than made up for Skyward Sword with BOTW, but I still think he can do better. BOTW2 has the potential to be the greatest installment in the series if they decide to pick up where they left off with BOTW; use the same engine. Insane amount of potential

Maybe I'm just too hardcore of a fan tbh. I was extremely annoyed and frustrated with the lack of effort put into Skyward Sword. I think something went wrong during development and the game suffered. It sticks out like a sore thumb among all the other 3D TLOZ games in terms of quality. BOTW fully restored my faith in the developers though, thankfully. The trailers alone were spectacular. I put in 130 hours and I can probably spend another 100 hours and still have something to do before reaching 100% completion. I spent like 30 hours with Skyward Sword and that was more than enough for a lifetime. I don't ever want to play that game again

I will read about it though. It adds a little bit to the lore

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is a fairly poor LOZ game imo. Skyward Sword failed on so many levels. And Hidemaro Fujibayashi knows it too. That’s why I think he went all in with BOTW and outdid himself. He’s up there with Miyamoto, Aonuma now in terms of adding solid work to the franchise; I think he more than made up for Skyward Sword with BOTW, but I still think he can do better. BOTW2 has the potential to be the greatest installment in the series if they decide to pick up where they left off with BOTW; use the same engine. Insane amount of potential

Maybe I'm just too hardcore of a fan tbh. I was extremely annoyed and frustrated with the lack of effort put into Skyward Sword. I think something went wrong during development and the game suffered. It sticks out like a sore thumb among all the other 3D TLOZ games in terms of quality. BOTW fully restored my faith in the developers though, thankfully. The trailers alone were spectacular. I put in 130 hours and I can probably spend another 100 hours and still have something to do before reaching 100% completion. I spent like 30 hours with Skyward Sword and that was more than enough for a lifetime. I don't ever want to play that game again

I will read about it though. It adds a little bit to the lore
I dunno, Skyward Sword definitely has its ups and downs for me. What was wrong with it was pretty bad, but the highs were up there with the highest in 3D Zelda games. It's very different from the previous efforts and what it does right, it does very right, mostly the combat, weapons and dungeon as the overworld design. The story was also great IMO. I'm keen to go through it again.

For me, TP is the worst 3D Zelda, but still a fantastic game.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I dunno, Skyward Sword definitely has its ups and downs for me. What was wrong with it was pretty bad, but the highs were up there with the highest in 3D Zelda games. It's very different from the previous efforts and what it does right, it does very right, mostly the combat, weapons and dungeon as the overworld design. The story was also great IMO. I'm keen to go through it again.

For me, TP is the worst 3D Zelda, but still a fantastic game.
I think you mentioned ALL of its strongpoints succinctly. But I strongly disagree with the overworld being anywhere close to any of the 3D Zelda games. It pales in comparison. It’s just a bland, linear quest where within the player has a very limited scope of land to see and discover. Nothing close to the vast, creative, and unique overworlds teeming with secrets that we’ve seen previously in the titles preceding SS. The sky overworld couldn’t have been more plain and uninspired. The bits on land and that one area where some of the overworld was underwater with those forgettable sea creatures (can’t recall the species’ name) were very straight forward. It was essentially this: new land, do the tasks, there isn’t much more for you. That’s the overworld in a nutshell. For someone like me who likes to latch onto every little detail, enjoy the music and the scenery and/or environment, the NPCs and their dialogue—Skyward Sword’s overworld completely let me down. I mean, there was only like three fucking Gorons in the game. And they were shoehorned in...I was so pissed! Can’t even tell you how upset I was over the lack of effort and even poor direction of the game in regards to t he overworld and what it had to offer

Combat was innovative, kind of interesting at first but there are not many great foes to combat, and the bulk of them are not all that interesting

Weapons I can barely recall. The Gust Bellows and the Beetle Flyer thing were fun but they didn’t have much outside of dungeons to be used with. I think you get to clean that one fellow academy hall monitor classmate’s mom’s dusty house and that’s it? That’s pure laziness. The flying beetle item came in handy a few times but nothing noteworthy. I think the items were largely for the dungeons and not of much use in the overworld

I thought the dungeons were mediocre. Presentation wasn’t that great or the story behind each one, the dungeon’s puzzles themselves were okay but the bosses were a joke. Ancient Cistern boss was probably the best, and I loved The Imprisoned concept through and through. The rest were trash imo, design and concept both, even the final boss itself

The story was the most intriguing part of Skyward Sword. I can’t say that it was great, but it was alright. There some interesting moments, some heroic moments too

I’m way too opinionated about this game. It rubbed me the wrong way. I dislike how Hidemaro Fujibayashi handled most of it

I think you mentioned ALL of its strongpoints succinctly. But I strongly disagree with the overworld being anywhere close to any of the 3D Zelda games. It pales in comparison. It’s just a bland, linear quest where within the player has a very limited scope of land to see and discover. Nothing close to the vast, creative, and unique overworlds teeming with secrets that we’ve seen previously in the titles preceding SS. The sky overworld couldn’t have been more plain and uninspired. The bits on land and that one area where some of the overworld was underwater with those forgettable sea creatures (can’t recall the species’ name) were very straight forward. It was essentially this: new land, do the tasks, there isn’t much more for you. That’s the overworld in a nutshell. For someone like me who likes to latch onto every little detail, enjoy the music and the scenery and/or environment, the NPCs and their dialogue—Skyward Sword’s overworld completely let me down. I mean, there was only like three fucking Gorons in the game. And they were shoehorned in...I was so pissed! Can’t even tell you how upset I was over the lack of effort and even poor direction of the game in regards to t he overworld and what it had to offer

Combat was innovative, kind of interesting at first but there are not many great foes to combat, and the bulk of them are not all that interesting

Weapons I can barely recall. The Gust Bellows and the Beetle Flyer thing were fun but they didn’t have much outside of dungeons to be used with. I think you get to clean that one fellow academy hall monitor classmate’s mom’s dusty house and that’s it? That’s pure laziness. The flying beetle item came in handy a few times but nothing noteworthy. I think the items were largely for the dungeons and not of much use in the overworld

I thought the dungeons were mediocre. Presentation wasn’t that great or the story behind each one, the dungeon’s puzzles themselves were okay but the bosses were a joke. Ancient Cistern boss was probably the best, and I loved The Imprisoned concept through and through. The rest were trash imo, design and concept both, even the final boss itself

The story was the most intriguing part of Skyward Sword. I can’t say that it was great, but it was alright. There some interesting moments, some heroic moments too

I’m way too opinionated about this game. It rubbed me the wrong way. I dislike how Hidemaro Fujibayashi handled most of it
I can appreciate all of those thoughts and understand why people didn't like it.
After the previous three 3D Zelda games, I found TP completely soulless. It was OOT pt.2 + new Wolf mechanics. Midna was cool AF but the overworld was so goddamn bland. Yes there were a few secrets here and there but it just felt empty compared to Majora's Mask and even the great big fucking ocean in WW. It feels like they went for sheer size just for the sake of it. "Oooh it takes 15 minutes to go from East to West on horseback!" Ok, why? I think they addressed that really well in BOTW. The world is extremely vast but there's something lurking in every corner.

As for SS, I thought they implemented the motion really well (yes, I know some people despise it) and it was the first Zelda game for a while I found even remotely challenging since LTTP. I thought the upgradable equipment was a step in the right direction and having to collect the items to do that made the underworld interesting for me. The "overworld" i.e. the sky, was dull AF, yes. Outside of Skyloft there was nothing to see. However, I adored how they implemented dungeon style LOZ gameplay into the world below the clouds. I see those three hubs as three massive dungeons, with more traditional dungeons hidden away inside them. The fire area was disappointing, as was the lack of Gorons you mentioned, but I had a blast in the forest area and using the superb time-shifting mechanics in the desert. I found figuring out the bosses to be pretty fun as well, especially as it was all motion and pointer based.

I loved Ghirahim, Groose and the "Hyrule origins" storyline, even if the presentation could have been a little better in places. I thought the connection between Link and Zelda was the best in the entire series and it was massively helped by the beautiful art style. Would love to see it in proper HD one day.

Fi can fuck the fuck off and then when she gets there, she can fuck off some more. Nintendo hand-holding at its absolute worst. So glad they did a 180 for BOTW.

There is a lot of stuff wrong with the game, I'm willing to admit that. It's by no means perfect, but there are certainly flashes of brilliance in it and I'd be interested to see them take another stab at this style of game over an OOT format cut and paste job.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I love Skyward Sword for what it is. Nintendo has a habit of these misfires or strange installments in their main series, that while a letdown in that context, enter history as incredibly fun, enjoyable one-offs.

Skyward Sword is definitely that.

I love Skyward Sword for what it is. Nintendo has a habit of these misfires or strange installments in their main series, that while a letdown in that context, enter history as incredibly fun, enjoyable one-offs.

Skyward Sword is definitely that.

I'll never like the game, but it could potentially be seen as that by more people if they fix the incredibly frustrating controls of the Wii version on a Switch revision along with some other small frustrations.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I can appreciate all of those thoughts and understand why people didn't like it.
After the previous three 3D Zelda games, I found TP completely soulless. It was OOT pt.2 + new Wolf mechanics. Midna was cool AF but the overworld was so goddamn bland. Yes there were a few secrets here and there but it just felt empty compared to Majora's Mask and even the great big fucking ocean in WW. It feels like they went for sheer size just for the sake of it. "Oooh it takes 15 minutes to go from East to West on horseback!" Ok, why? I think they addressed that really well in BOTW. The world is extremely vast but there's something lurking in every corner.

As for SS, I thought they implemented the motion really well (yes, I know some people despise it) and it was the first Zelda game for a while I found even remotely challenging since LTTP. I thought the upgradable equipment was a step in the right direction and having to collect the items to do that made the underworld interesting for me. The "overworld" i.e. the sky, was dull AF, yes. Outside of Skyloft there was nothing to see. However, I adored how they implemented dungeon style LOZ gameplay into the world below the clouds. I see those three hubs as three massive dungeons, with more traditional dungeons hidden away inside them. The fire area was disappointing, as was the lack of Gorons you mentioned, but I had a blast in the forest area and using the superb time-shifting mechanics in the desert. I found figuring out the bosses to be pretty fun as well, especially as it was all motion and pointer based.

I loved Ghirahim, Groose and the "Hyrule origins" storyline, even if the presentation could have been a little better in places. I thought the connection between Link and Zelda was the best in the entire series and it was massively helped by the beautiful art style. Would love to see it in proper HD one day.

Fi can fuck the fuck off and then when she gets there, she can fuck off some more. Nintendo hand-holding at its absolute worst. So glad they did a 180 for BOTW.

There is a lot of stuff wrong with the game, I'm willing to admit that. It's by no means perfect, but there are certainly flashes of brilliance in it and I'd be interested to see them take another stab at this style of game over an OOT format cut and paste job.
I know what you mean. As a teen when I first played TLoZ: twilight Princess, I knew it was lacking. From the start of it, it had that new feeling and it was okay but nothing substantial ever captured. I think the most memorable part of that entire game for me, is probably when Link triumphantly won the battle of the Bridge of Eldin saving Colin's life, and raised his sword as Epona also let out a triumphant cry of her own, all that in slow motion to that one song that I forget was playing during. That. and the boss at Arbiter's Grounds were amazing. But besides those two moments, there were many times when the game did feel lifeless and lacking. The game was so full of gloom, enshrouded in twilight just as they intended but there was nothing to really bring life to this Hyrule. All the characters struck me as kind of odd, a bit off, some were creepy. There weren't many lighthearted or happy moments at all in TP. The entire game was very serious in tone. Dreary too. I like it more than SS, but the game is definitely something else to behold and I think everything could have been expanded upon more. When I had played and finished the game, my thoughts were that the game had some great potential--to be incredible, but it didn't come close to meeting its potential. I still think it's a great game, but overall, you are definitely right in saying it lacks energy in many ways. Everything looked good on the surface, but there was no true depth to Hyrule Castle Town, the NPCs, the sidequests, the overworld was a lonely one to traverse, and personally I wasn't all that big of a fan of Midna. Zant's presence was excellent until a point...Twilight Princess was ranked an 8.8/10 on one of the sites I used to read reviews from and that's a fair rating. I would probably rate it just around there with an 8.5/10 or the score of 8.8/10

Groose was a nice addition, I ended up liking his character towards the last portion of the game and I would definitely call the story giving insight into the Goddesses and the origins of Hyrule the most interesting aspect of Skyward Sword. But it also made me feel very uneasy in a way. Not a bad thing, but the way the story had gone on about the Goddesses, I guess the devs sort of dared to go into mind blown territory with the story in that regard because I was feeling like I never had with a Zelda game. I guess it is pretty rare for a game to go into solid detail about creation. It's a heavy topic

]As for Zelda and Link, that was unique how their connection went. But I am extremely fond of what OoT Link and Zelda accomplished. Those two were on separate missions/quests and you could feel the massive burden she was bearing in every encounter. Link's adventure that would lie ahead was as dangerous and monstrous as it was epic. What those two accomplished is nothing short of legendary. That's one of the greatest stories ever told in my opinion, OoT's story.
] I also love what happens to them in BOTW. 100 years she suffered. And when you finally entered into Ganon's Castle and saw his final form, what she was living for all that those years to battle, the level of hope and patience that remained with her for Link in those 100 years and the sheer amount of confidence she must have had for Link to even hold on that long....That's something else. I like how some of the characters who knew the reality of the situations brought light to Zelda's plight as well. I think BOTW Link and Zelda shared an amazing story

Saruhashi

Banned
Watched Sakurai's video for Minecraft Steve in Smash. Looks pretty cool.

Its really disappointing to me that people are so critical of the decision to include that character when the developers put in so much effort to make the character unique and playable and, I assume, fun.

That all get thrown out because "I don't like that character and Minecraft is dumb and for kids".

Was the same with Piranha Plant because folk didn't see it as a "main" character from a series so they shit on the concept without for a moment thinking "actually they put a lot of effort into this".

I've never played Minecraft in my life but I can still appreciate that they really went above and beyond to make the Smash version of the character so different and interesting.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I really hope it comes to Switch next year. There were so many fun ideas all the way through that game, that the second I beat it, I was already wanting to replay it for more. I think it’s a Zelda unusually focused on immediate fun and one-off gameplay mechanics, not unlike a modern Mario game.

I'll never like the game, but it could potentially be seen as that by more people if they fix the incredibly frustrating controls of the Wii version on a Switch revision along with some other small frustrations.

The only problem I ever had with this game, was software-side. The sword battles with armed enemies, wherein enemies act more like a music rhythm game, defending the entire time, and only opening up from a particular direction for a fraction of a second, just aren’t very fun, or well-designed. Wii Sports Resort did this exact concept miles better, and really gave you the fun of a sword fight.

The controls felt generally really good to me.

With how advanced VR tracking has gotten, and how late I played it, they were a little dated and simplistic, as well as Nintendo maybe getting carried away with constantly featuring them as the main focus, but nonetheless, actually carrying and moving the sword in Zelda, really brought me into it like never before. I genuinely got the feeling of moving through caves, weapon outstretched and ready, like I probably would in real life. Things like the bow and arrow, and whip, while simplistic as mentioned, were further fun.

Watched Sakurai's video for Minecraft Steve in Smash. Looks pretty cool.

Its really disappointing to me that people are so critical of the decision to include that character when the developers put in so much effort to make the character unique and playable and, I assume, fun.

That all get thrown out because "I don't like that character and Minecraft is dumb and for kids".

Was the same with Piranha Plant because folk didn't see it as a "main" character from a series so they shit on the concept without for a moment thinking "actually they put a lot of effort into this".

I've never played Minecraft in my life but I can still appreciate that they really went above and beyond to make the Smash version of the character so different and interesting.

I don't really care about Minecraft either, but he's a unique character with a moveset we haven't seen before, so it has my blessing at least. I'll take him over another FE char any day.

I really hope it comes to Switch next year. There were so many fun ideas all the way through that game, that the second I beat it, I was already wanting to replay it for more. I think it’s a Zelda unusually focused on immediate fun and one-off gameplay mechanics, not unlike a modern Mario game.

The only problem I ever had with this game, was software-side. The sword battles with armed enemies, wherein enemies act more like a music rhythm game, defending the entire time, and only opening up from a particular direction for a fraction of a second, just aren’t very fun, or well-designed. Wii Sports Resort did this exact concept miles better, and really gave you the fun of a sword fight.

The controls felt generally really good to me.

With how advanced VR tracking has gotten, and how late I played it, they were a little dated and simplistic, as well as Nintendo maybe getting carried away with constantly featuring them as the main focus, but nonetheless, actually carrying and moving the sword in Zelda, really brought me into it like never before. I genuinely got the feeling of moving through caves, weapon outstretched and ready, like I probably would in real life. Things like the bow and arrow, and whip, while simplistic as mentioned, were further fun.

The controls are, in my experience, only good until they demand more accurate movements. Flying the bird was frustrating, incredibly so during a race, lobbing a bomb was frustrating, the battles also require a specific input at the right time as you mentioned, I make that movement and it sometimes registers, sometimes not so then the battles become increasingly aggravating etc. I get your point about immersion and I'd agree with that but only insofar that the controls cooperate, the moment they don't, I personally just get ripped straight out of it. It went to a point where I was spending so much time fighting the controls that it just sucked any enjoyment the rest of the game might have offered, out of it.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I love TP. I acknowledge all it’s flaws, but still. What a roller coaster ride of a Zelda.

It’s basically Nintendo absolutely obsessed with beating Ocarina of Time, to the point where every single little thing is amazing, epic, and over-the-top as possible.

I think it misses some of the nuance that makes a great Zelda game, as a result, but seeing some of the best designers in gaming go all-out like this, is an amazing spectacle, with just towering achievement after achievement.

Zannegan

I love TP. I acknowledge all it’s flaws, but still. What a roller coaster ride of a Zelda.

It’s basically Nintendo absolutely obsessed with beating Ocarina of Time, to the point where every single little thing is amazing, epic, and over-the-top as possible.

I think it misses some of the nuance that makes a great Zelda game, as a result, but seeing some of the best designers in gaming go all-out like this, is an amazing spectacle, with just towering achievement after achievement.
I just wish they'd given more thought to the wolf mechanic. They built it up to be a major part of the game, but it only ended up being useful in certain pockets of the map.

What would have been nice, is if they'd really tried to split the game down the middle: made half the dungeon items wolf form-centric, let you flip between forms and even build "combos" mid-battle, etc.

Also, (unpopular opinion warning) if they could have just deleted Midna from existence that would have been fantastic.

I think that's totally okay though. People can be as critical of a character choice as they like, and for whatever reason. The character got in regardless. It's not like their opinions are going to affect anything at this point.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I just wish they'd given more thought to the wolf mechanic. They built it up to be a major part of the game, but it only ended up being useful in certain pockets of the map.

What would have been nice, is if they'd really tried to split the game down the middle: made half the dungeon items wolf form-centric, let you flip between forms and even build "combos" mid-battle, etc.

Also, (unpopular opinion warning) if they could have just deleted Midna from existence that would have been fantastic.

I felt really similarly on the wolf. It just didn’t live up to previous, similar Nintendo game designs, like the dark world, Majora’s Mask transformations, or even Young Link/Adult Link.

Thematically, it was really cool, especially when the Twilight was a thing. The gameplay just wasn’t there. It’s not just the underutilization, it’s that what you do as a wolf isn’t tremendously compelling either. QTEs with one button, sniffing, really weird or awkward combat...

It’s ultimately fine, but it could have been more.

I think Midna and Link are one of the best parts, personally. I really liked how they went from arrangement of convenience to friends, and actually caring about each other, over the game.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Twilight Princess was fantastic. In a lot of ways the scope and ambition of that game were how my mind wanted to remember Ocarina of Time. It fulfilled that desire I had to play the old Space World Tech Demo. The tone of the game was fantastic-talking about it makes me want to revisit it; I only played it once. I'd like to see more of that tone in future Zelda games.

As far as 3D Zeldas go I think that they are all excellent and bring something fresh. Breath of the Wild, Wind Waker, and Ocarina of Time are my three favorites but Twilight Princess is a very close fourth.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Yeah probably my biggest issue with SS, is how the overall game design feels less like an epic adventure and more like a platforn game, NPCs just there to explain how the controls work, most of them being cute animals, FI, the presentation itself is more like a Mario game

good puzzles and combat mind you, but its not what i want from a Zelda game and many others felt the same, thankfully they took what worked, the artstyle and stamina system and made BotW

Astral Dog

Twilight Princess was fantastic. In a lot of ways the scope and ambition of that game were how my mind wanted to remember Ocarina of Time. It fulfilled that desire I had to play the old Space World Tech Demo. The tone of the game was fantastic-talking about it makes me want to revisit it; I only played it once. I'd like to see more of that tone in future Zelda games.

As far as 3D Zeldas go I think that they are all excellent and bring something fresh. Breath of the Wild, Wind Waker, and Ocarina of Time are my three favorites but Twilight Princess is a very close fourth.
While i think TP presentation and overall style are too drab/gray for a Zelda game, Twilight Princess was indeed too ambitious 🤭like, literally for the Game Cube.

Its ambitious but flawed, a lot of concepts could have worked better like the Twilight Realm and the wolf, but they changed during development, the artstyle simply was too detailed for the old GC and didn't really aged well like WW. A game that revisits that style (but closer to the colors of OoT3D preferably) with improved combat/overworld would look gorgeous on Switch 2 🤭

ExpandKong

Banned
As long as we're talking Zelda I'm just gonna come out and say that I thought Spirit Tracks was pretty dope. It fixed most of the control issues from Phantom Hourglass and it had its own "Temple of the Ocean King" central dungeon but without the suck element, Zelda was with you through the whole thing, it had a nice little epic finale, and it made me think of Fullmetal Alchemist.

fma_vs_spirit_tracks_by_wonchop_d2d6v0e-fullview.jpg

But how does a dude who looks like this become your chancellor come on now Zelda you big idiot

Saruhashi

Banned
I think that's totally okay though. People can be as critical of a character choice as they like, and for whatever reason. The character got in regardless. It's not like their opinions are going to affect anything at this point.

That's fair but I just think it's a really hollow criticism when it's clear the devs have put a lot of effort in there.

Top Bottom