• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

But how does a dude who looks like this become your chancellor come on now Zelda you big idiot

"He hev two hatz, he must be twice as smurt"
latest

Twilight Princess has the best Zelda dungeons and they're all perfectly named. Arbiter's Grounds could be a Slayer album, shit's metal as fuck. The problems with TP are a bit on the nose, it starts really slow, it's a bit derivative and it looks hazy as fuck. Other than that it's rock solid. Midna top tier lady.

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
As long as we're talking Zelda I'm just gonna come out and say that I thought Spirit Tracks was pretty dope. It fixed most of the control issues from Phantom Hourglass and it had its own "Temple of the Ocean King" central dungeon but without the suck element, Zelda was with you through the whole thing, it had a nice little epic finale, and it made me think of Fullmetal Alchemist.

fma_vs_spirit_tracks_by_wonchop_d2d6v0e-fullview.jpg

4LV50AK.jpg

Astral Dog

Twilight Princess has the best Zelda dungeons and they're all perfectly name. Arbiter's Grounds could be a Slayer album, shit's metal as fuck. The problems with TP are a bit on the nose, it starts really slow, it's a bit derivative and it looks hazy as fuck. Other than that it's rock solid. Midna top tier lady.
While i like Midna TP had the issue that Link, Zelda, Ganon and the Triforce itself were overshadowed by her plot, Link was basically her bodyguard and didn't really 'evolved' or emoted much or had a important part after Midna appears, Zelda and Ganondorf just appear at the end, almost at random.

After the village and Kakariko the world is almost dead and decaying, the narrative focuses on Midna (and to a lesser extent Zant) so much i thought it made the game less interesting.

Now that wouldn't be bad if Zelda or Ganon didn't appear and Twilight was Midna's story alone but they had to put them in and it feels a little forced

It seems Nintendo noticed this as all the games after Twilight Princess put Link, Zelda and Ganon at the center.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
While i like Midna TP had the issue that Link, Zelda, Ganon and the Triforce itself were overshadowed by her plot, Link was basically her bodyguard and didn't really 'evolved' or emoted much or had a important part after Midna appears, Zelda and Ganondorf just appear at the end, almost at random.

Yeah I distinctly remember getting to the final battle for the first time and wondering why Ganon's doing his monologuing to Midna while Link's just kind of standing there looking like her hype man lol.

Hudo

Well, if we gonna start that shit, then have at it:

Best 3D Zeldas:

Breath of the Wild > Wind Waker HD > Majora's Mask 3D > A Link Between Worlds > Skyward Sword > Twilight Princess HD > Ocarina of Time 3D > Spirit Tracks > Phantom Hourglass

After the village and Kakariko the world is almost dead and decaying, the narrative focuses on Midna (and to a lesser extent Zant) so much i thought it made the game less interesting.

Now that wouldn't be bad if Zelda or Ganon didn't appear and Twilight was Midna's story alone but they had to put them in and it feels a little forced

It seems Nintendo noticed this as all the games after Twilight Princess put Link, Zelda and Ganon at the center.

The reveal of Ganon is a bit underwhelming, but I think the plot is very serviceable and your engagement depends on how much you like Midna. She's effectively the main character. I don't think it was spectacular, but it kept me going. And the gameplay is terrific, the dungeons are pretty much all top notch.

-Arcadia-

Banned
There’s room for an amazing villain hand-off in TP, but how it was done, isn’t it.

Zant was mysterious, fantastic, and thoroughly frightening, during the first three dungeons, and the twilight. This guy undoes your whole 30 hours of progress, or whatever, with just a finger snap.

The problem is that TP then decides to become a more traditional Zelda game, the main story utterly goes on vacation, Zant has nothing to really do for the next five dungeons, and when he does come back, it’s with a last minute plot twist that he’s actually just a little backstabbing twerp that was gifted everything by Ganon, followed by a boss fight so ridiculous (Nintendo really could not restrain their whimsicalness anymore) a focal point is smacking his big toe whilst he dances around holding it.

Then that is followed by barely any build-up for Ganon beyond Green Man Bad.

I mean, it still works. It’s an epic, really satisfying quest. Midna ripping apart Zant is awesome. Ganon is amazing with what he has. But the villains and the crux of the story get hit hard in the second part.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
There’s room for an amazing villain hand-off in TP, but how it was done, isn’t it.

Zant was mysterious, fantastic, and thoroughly frightening, during the first three dungeons, and the twilight. This guy undoes your whole 30 hours of progress, or whatever, with just a finger snap.

The problem is that TP then decides to become a more traditional Zelda game, the main story utterly goes on vacation, Zant has nothing to really do for the next five dungeons, and when he does come back, it’s with a last minute plot twist that he’s actually just a little backstabbing twerp that was gifted everything by Ganon, followed by a boss fight so ridiculous (Nintendo really could not restrain their whimsicalness anymore) a focal point is smacking his big toe whilst he dances around holding it.

I mean, it still works. It’s an epic, really satisfying quest. Midna ripping apart Zant is awesome. Ganon is amazing with what he has. But the villains and the crux of the story get hit hard in the second part.
It's been years since I played Twilight Princess so I am running off of memory here.

I liked Zant but the spastic nature of his character detracted from the more foreboding, ominous nature of the Twilight realm. He went from a scary antagonist to a comedic, incompetent throwaway. You end up with a strangely laughable enemy in story that is marked with a sense of despair. Zant doesn't really serve much purpose other than to hide Ganon's reveal. The one aspect of the whole Ganon-Zant sequence that I did really enjoy however was puppet Zelda. The battle itself was a lackluster rehash of Ocarina of Time but the concept of Zelda being possessed and the question of "do you have to kill her in order to defeat Ganon?" was really neat.

Zant was Nintendo's big chance to say that the mythos of Zelda is bigger than the Triforce and Ganon. That there are things like the Twilight Realm beyond what simple Hylian lore exists-3 gods, 3 triforces, Zelda/Ganon/Link. I hope Nintendo embraces that at the future-waring kingdoms, turmoil within the royal family...there is so much more that Zelda can do.

---

Also since we are all still talking about Zelda... I realized I own Tri Force Heroes but never played it. Do I need to play MP or is SP fine? Does anyone want to play it sometime?

Saruhashi

Banned

Best 3D Zeldas:

Breath of the Wild > Wind Waker HD > Majora's Mask 3D > A Link Between Worlds > Skyward Sword > Twilight Princess HD > Ocarina of Time 3D > Spirit Tracks > Phantom Hourglass

Difficult!

My first ever Zelda was Links Awakening and even though I was quite young I really think the game had this sort of creepy and odd feel to it. I loved it of course.

Out of the 3D Zelda games Majoras Mask and Twilight Princess really captured that same vibe but Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time have a lot more going for them overall. Skyward Sword didn't really do much for me. Feels just like an odd little game. Breath of the Wild is, for me, a special game that I really can't praise enough. A master stroke to bring this out as a launch title on a new handheld system. It was like the perfect game at the perfect time.

So Best to Least Favourite...

BotW > OOT > WW > MM > TP > SS

Zelda has to be one of the most consistently great gaming franchises ever.

Humdinger

Man, BotW is addictive. My dog is getting annoyed with me for spending so much time on it. My dog resents videogames. Two hands on a controller = none petting him. Plus, I don't think he understands the fascination with me staring at a screen. He's like, "Hey, it's a beautiful day outside, let's go chase squirrels or something!" I'm like, "No, I have to collect crickets so this creepy stable guy can impress some girl at the motel."

Btw, that didn't work. I collected 10 crickets, and a dialog option didn't open up on either character. I think that quest got glitched somehow. Oh well. Lanny is on his own.

Picked up Xenoblade Chronicles DE and Super Mario Odyssey for $40 each at amazon. Thanks to whoever suggested Deku Deals, @hariseldon I think -- it's a nice little service.

Yuck! No minimap, no nothing, is the way to go.

Yeah, I've switched back to Pro and have gotten used to it now. I initially thought I needed the minimap to find my way around cities, but I can do without it. I like the cleaner HUD on the Pro setting. I'd even prefer it if the health gauge was off until you were in battle.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

It's been years since I played Twilight Princess so I am running off of memory here.

I liked Zant but the spastic nature of his character detracted from the more foreboding, ominous nature of the Twilight realm. He went from a scary antagonist to a comedic, incompetent throwaway. You end up with a strangely laughable enemy in story that is marked with a sense of despair. Zant doesn't really serve much purpose other than to hide Ganon's reveal. The one aspect of the whole Ganon-Zant sequence that I did really enjoy however was puppet Zelda. The battle itself was a lackluster rehash of Ocarina of Time but the concept of Zelda being possessed and the question of "do you have to kill her in order to defeat Ganon?" was really neat.

Zant was Nintendo's big chance to say that the mythos of Zelda is bigger than the Triforce and Ganon. That there are things like the Twilight Realm beyond what simple Hylian lore exists-3 gods, 3 triforces, Zelda/Ganon/Link. I hope Nintendo embraces that at the future-waring kingdoms, turmoil within the royal family...there is so much more that Zelda can do.

---

Also since we are all still talking about Zelda... I realized I own Tri Force Heroes but never played it. Do I need to play MP or is SP fine? Does anyone want to play it sometime?
Yep
Plot wise Its pretty weird Twilight Princess had this akward mix between traditional and new, like Nintendo couldn't decide and both sides weren't as good as they could been.

Its perfectly fair if Nintendo wanted a Zelda game thats not really about the Triforce Hyrule princess Zelda or Ganon,they have done it before with LA, MM, MC etc but here they made it including these new elements only to say its ZELDA at the end, most interesting thing are the implications of many timelines.

And after how the amazing Wind Waker played with the traditional elements, they probably set the bar too high 🤭
SS, BOTW, ALBW just dedicate themselves to expanding the classic lore and characters without much mess, but i would like to see another main Zelda without depending on Ganon or one of his wannabes

Twilight Princess was still pretty good just sayin

(idk about Triforce Heroes 🤭)

Astral Dog

Best 3D Zeldas:

I like Spirit Tracks more than ALBW and Twilight Princess tbh, quite charming and clever with how Zelda follows you and dat soundtrack, imagine if they made that one for 3DS

Last edited:
Yeah, I've switched back to Pro and have gotten used to it now. I initially thought I needed the minimap to find my way around cities, but I can do without it. I like the cleaner HUD on the Pro setting. I'd even prefer it if the health gauge was off until you were in battle.

This was essentially my only gripe with BOTW - no option to hide the health meter. Besides my personal issue (plasma burn-in) it would have been so much more immersive with nothing else on the screen. Having it pop in when your health changes (like the stamina meter already does, for Pete's sake) seems like a super-easy change and/or option.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I liked Tri Force Heroes but the people I got matched up with made me question humanity.
I got 100% completion on Triforce Heroes and it's one of my favorite Zelda games ever made. Aonuma also called it the most underrated Zelda in an interview, and I have to agree. It's actually challenging, with tons of new moves and new puzzle styles. Easily the most difficult Zelda ever made. Just getting through some of the bosses was intense. Amazing OST too.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I think I’ve done enough super-long posts about Zeldas I love, so I’ll just say that I really loved the setting, themes, and that Link and Zelda were equal parts heartwarming and absolutely hilarious on a quest together. It’s nothing like PH and it’s complete lack of soul.

-Arcadia-

Banned
A remake of Oracle of Ages/Seasons done like Link's Awakening, who says no?

I’d be shocked if it didn’t happen. Once again, like with Majora 3D, a bunch of the work is already done.

I’d really enjoy that. I still love the GBC version of LA as well, but the Switch version was wonderful.

Oracle of Ages is also an incredibly underrated Zelda.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
It was my favorite out of the two, though I always wonder if that's because it's the one I owned growing up. It makes too much sense. If they can't be arsed to do two games at the same time, there's always Minish Cap.

I really liked it thematically. It had the coolest time travel in the Zelda series, and it felt like it carried on well with the darker/more epic stuff the N64 games were doing. With all the awesome puzzles and dungeons as well, I think it honestly feels like the ‘real’ Zelda of the two, although OOS is fun.

I really liked it thematically. It had the coolest time travel in the Zelda series, and it felt like it carried on well with the darker/more epic stuff the N64 games were doing. With all the awesome puzzles and dungeons as well, I think it honestly feels like the ‘real’ Zelda of the two, although OOS is fun.

The puzzles were really good in the duology, but the slightly bigger focus on combat that OOS went for didn't really make all that much sense with the engine. OOS is also excellent though, really fantastic dungeons especially in the back half. Ancient Ruins and Explorer's Crypt are badass.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Man, BotW is addictive. My dog is getting annoyed with me for spending so much time on it. My dog resents videogames. Two hands on a controller = none petting him. Plus, I don't think he understands the fascination with me staring at a screen. He's like, "Hey, it's a beautiful day outside, let's go chase squirrels or something!" I'm like, "No, I have to collect crickets so this creepy stable guy can impress some girl at the motel."

Btw, that didn't work. I collected 10 crickets, and a dialog option didn't open up on either character. I think that quest got glitched somehow. Oh well. Lanny is on his own.

Picked up Xenoblade Chronicles DE and Super Mario Odyssey for $40 each at amazon. Thanks to whoever suggested Deku Deals, @hariseldon I think -- it's a nice little service.

Go play with your dog - the Switch is there forever and won’t mind if you neglect it but a dog is your best friend for 10 years. Don’t waste them.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Hey it's a better game than either Skyward Sword or Spirit Tracks at least

tenor.gif
I've never played Spirit Tracks, but have always been looking forward to. I have not played Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks so I have yet to see what Daiki Iwamoto is capable of when at the helm. It's interesting to hear how many didn't enjoy PH but then there seems to be a lot more that were at least content with ST. This is what I have gathered over the years just seeing random comments. I'm not sure about either games besides what I have heard. I just know that there is something about the central dungeon, I think it's called Temple of the Ocean King, that gets under people's skin, bad design maybe

I've never played Spirit Tracks, but have always been looking forward to. I have not played Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks so I have yet to see what Daiki Iwamoto is capable of when at the helm. It's interesting to hear how many didn't enjoy PH but then there seems to be a lot more that were at least content with ST. This is what I have gathered over the years just seeing random comments. I'm not sure about either games besides what I have heard. I just know that there is something about the central dungeon, I think it's called Temple of the Ocean King, that gets under people's skin, bad design maybe

I actually wasn't that offended by Phantom Hourglass. Wasn't anything special either though but it kept my interest long enough for me to see the end. Spirit Tracks though....it starts out cute but it's so boring and tedious and the shit that chases you if you mind your own business for two seconds gets really grating. It's all from that Wii/DS era where they really tripled down on Zelda conventions before finally trying to break away from them with ALBW.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Oracle of Ages is also an incredibly underrated Zelda.

The Oracle games are THE most underrated Zelda games, always will be. Imagine Link's Awakening (rightfully) being one of your favourite Zelda games, and then in 2001 Nintendo says, here's two more full length games AT ONCE in the same format, oh and if you play them in different orders, you get different unique events.

I'll always replay them anyway, but I'd dump money into an LA style remake of either.

Cutty Flam

Banned
The Oracle games are THE most underrated Zelda games, always will be. Imagine Link's Awakening (rightfully) being one of your favourite Zelda games, and then in 2001 Nintendo says, here's two more full length games AT ONCE in the same format, oh and if you play them in different orders, you get different unique events.

I'll always replay them anyway, but I'd dump money into an LA style remake of either.
Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons were a one of a kind experience. In their time of release, pretty much the perfect handheld Zelda games. Probably still the best to date, but I haven't played a handheld Zelda game since The Minish Cap. I love how they honored the exploration of the original The Legend of Zelda for the NES in those two games

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
... but I haven't played a handheld Zelda game since The Minish Cap.

Skip the DS games, honestly, but if you can play A Link Between Worlds you should, it's really good even if it's on the LTTP map. The LA remake is also great but it's a straight remake with cute graphics.

Hard agree about the exploration aspect of Oracles, I remember being a kid and hand-drawing out a map for each game of where there was stuff I needed to go back and re-explore, digging for treasure and finding those 200 rupee coins, finding the rare rings... man, they're such gems.

I wouldn't mind an Oracles remake, but I'm not sure I'd want to play them again. They'd at least need to reduce/remove the RNG in obtaining some Pieces of Hearts; getting good at a shitty mini-game (probably my main gripe about SS actually) is one thing, but repeatedly bumping into Mapple hoping she drops that one thing (and grabbing it before her), or planting tree after tree after tree hoping it gives you the right random object, is not my kind of fun.

Top Bottom