• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

mcjmetroid

I have no idea what I’m doing in Fire Emblem. The game is dense.
It's a good game for multiple playthroughs.

It's really not that complicated but it'll take a little while for everything to click.

Good thing too because a second playthrough will be a different experience with a different house.

It's a great game. Shame about the graphics though but my gawd that music is amazing.

Mr Hyde

Starting to get somewhat bored by CrossCode. At its core, it's a great game, beautiful pixelart, charming characters and a good, fun story. The thing that drains my interest is the overabundance of puzzles in the temples. I don't mind a couple of them now and then, but it's in every goddamn room.

And they are difficult too. It takes a while to solve it, and when you finally do and feel smart about yourself, you're immediately thrown into the next. And the next. And the next. In the end, I just pull up a walkthrough because I want to get on with the story, but I don't wanna play that way. I don't like looking at guides. But the puzzles are tedious and take a lot of the fun away. And to add insult to injury, the temples are soooooo long and arduous.

I really like this game, but I don't see myself completing it. Unless there is a drastic change in gameplay following the next temples.

mcjmetroid

Starting to get somewhat bored by CrossCode. At its core, it's a great game, beautiful pixelart, charming characters and a good, fun story. The thing that drains my interest is the overabundance of puzzles in the temples. I don't mind a couple of them now and then, but it's in every goddamn room.

And they are difficult too. It takes a while to solve it, and when you finally do and feel smart about yourself, you're immediately thrown into the next. And the next. And the next. In the end, I just pull up a walkthrough because I want to get on with the story, but I don't wanna play that way. I don't like looking at guides. But the puzzles are tedious and take a lot of the fun away. And to add insult to injury, the temples are soooooo long and arduous.

I really like this game, but I don't see myself completing it. Unless there is a drastic change in gameplay following the next temples.
I didn't get on with this one at all. Didn't understand the fuss.

I've played much better Indies games than this.

Talk to me. How far are you in? Give us some details.
Should I be buying things to equip right away? Do I have to worry about classes and party composition early on? Does answering incorrectly do anything negative later on in the game? Is it bad no one wants to join my house? I’m only a few missions in, but the amount of time spent wandering around the academy is astounding.

Eevee86

Should I be buying things to equip right away? Do I have to worry about classes and party composition early on? Does answering incorrectly do anything negative later on in the game? Is it bad no one wants to join my house? I’m only a few missions in, but the amount of time spent wandering around the academy is astounding.
Items are pretty easy to come by. You don't have to worry about it, but you should probably decide what you want them to be by the end of the game so you can focus on those class strengths. Answering correctly just gives you a boost I think. You'll be lucky to get more than a few characters in your house on the first run, it depends on your main characters skills if they like you enough to join.

Items are pretty easy to come by. You don't have to worry about it, but you should probably decide what you want them to be by the end of the game so you can focus on those class strengths. Answering correctly just gives you a boost I think. You'll be lucky to get more than a few characters in your house on the first run, it depends on your main characters skills if they like you enough to join.
Is there a New Game +, or is it just not possible to get all the optional characters?

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Basically the monastery is for a few things:
-Raising your stats: sword, bow, magic etc
-Raising supports w/ students: supports add story events and open paralogue missions up.
-Buying items and managing battalions

I didn’t spend too much money on items at beginning personally. I found that I got more mileage out of the store in mid to late game.

For party comp I would lean into characters natural proficiencies. You can attempt to recruit outside help if you’re weak in an area.

Students can ask join your house if your stats are high enough in a field they are interested in or if you’ve built up enough support with them they’ll ask to join you.

Answers directly impact your support levels. Correct answers will rank up supports faster. Can supplement with gifts to raise support as well. Everyone will have preferences so some gifts will rank up support faster than others.

Monastery was a lot of fun for me. I really liked being able to choose which characters’ stories I could experience(one of the reasons I find Persona so compelling as well). The game is also pretty good about making sure it doesn’t get too monotonous. Note that certain story beats will end The current month prematurely so pay attention to those warnings. If you’re like me you’ll want to get every last day out of each month.

Which house did you choose?

Is there a New Game +, or is it just not possible to get all the optional characters?
In theory you probably good recruit all of them. I think I did about 90% on one run but it comes at the expense of skills and other activities so there are trade offs. It’s certainly not possible to experience all of the side stories via support in a single play through. I wouldn’t recommend recruiting all of them though I find it more compelling if each house has characters that you know in it vs all of them in your class.

Last edited:
Which house did you choose?
Black Eagles

latest

Where's the Female Byleth wearing assassin armor placed on this?

Would place very high, but you can't dick her, only let one of the students do it and I'm not going to do that.

I thought it was close? I know the Wii and 3DS sold the best but isn’t Switch going to sell more in like a year or two?

The reasoning is that the metric to properly gauge the Switch success is COMBINING the sales of the Wii and the DS. It's bollocks.

Woopah

It's possible for the next year to top it with BOTW2 and MH Rise. I even expect Rise to sell more than MH World's 16 millions in its lifetime with higher attach rate of its expansion compared to World's 6 millions.

BOTW2 is a no brainer with a new Switc a repeat of Switch launch numbers again.
I think MHR can hit 10 million but 16 million is too much for me. It's on 1 platform when MHW was on 3. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does though!

I think FY22 will have greater profits as well. Hardware sales might be lower than FY21 but software sales should be higher due to bigger install base, stronger first party lineup and improved third party support.

MagnesG

Banned
I think MHR can hit 10 million but 16 million is too much for me. It's on 1 platform when MHW was on 3. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does though!

I think FY22 will have greater profits as well. Hardware sales might be lower than FY21 but software sales should be higher due to bigger install base, stronger first party lineup and improved third party support.
Yeah, tbh 16 millions is me being optimistic, I just think World's popularity would only facilitate the game sales. If anything World only proves that handheld/local mp MH cravings are real.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Nobody wants to join your house because you don't MEAT their requirements. It is that simple. After a few hours you'll be spending less time fucking around at school.

Black Eagles

latest
lmao girl hitler

Hey at least you'll finish the game sooner.
8cf9fb270addb9eb586b6a4fbbfd673c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaqazooloo

physical? Please!
Would be nice. Either way this is absolutely made for the Switch.

RetroMania Wrestling has secured a final release date. The game will launch on February 26, 2021, Retrosoft Studios announced today.

RetroMania Wrestling will initially be sold as a digital-only release. However, it’s confirmed that Limited Run Games will be producing a physical version at a later date.

JimiNutz

Banned
$30 games at Walmart for Black Friday
  • Luigi's Mansion 3
  • Yoshi's Crafted World
  • Splatoon 2
  • Super Mario Maker 2
  • Super Mario Bros U Deluxe
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  • Zelda: Link's Awakening
  • Mario Tennis Aces
Emyzc3_VgAERFZ6

I was in the US last Black Friday (UK resident) and took full advantage of the sales.

Between Black Friday and GameStop used games last year I bought in Florida for under $40:

AMRS
Splatoon 2
Mario x Rabbits
Mario Tennis Aces

God bless America.

Eevee86

I've been thinking about the partner showcases we got this year, and I think if there was an e3, partner showcases would not exist.
Regular Directs would probably still be a thing if everything was on schedule, so they would have been rolled in with first party announcements. Partner showcases are surprising since they told them earlier in the year that they could show stuff whenever they wanted, but it seems they preferred to have Nintendo get all eyes on them with smaller showcases.

Jump Force is $19.99 on Switch. I know it’s not very good, but I want to play as Kenshin Himura so I bought it.

I’ll probably pick up NSMBUD too. I debated Sakura Wars and 13 Sentinels for PS4 at $30 each on PS4 but passed.

Last edited:

Mr Branding

Guys.
Switch has reignited my love for gaming which was lacking this gen.
I think it has to do with portability as I can’t get invested in other consoles, no matter how good games look due to not having proper gaming dedicated time.
But with this one, I turn it on while I put the kid to bed, do one quest in whatever rpg (w3, ds, ddogma, skyrim) or knock a few races in bp or nfs and call it a wrap. Have some spare time at night, finish a few MK11 fights and it’s super rewarding.
It also reignited my inner child playing Botw or the Nes online catalogue.
The variety of games on this console is amazing and it seems to feature my favourite ones with a few exceptions.

I’m now on my 2nd playthrough of Bayo 2 and I am amazed at discovering new stuff. Can’t wait for the hard modes, but my joycons do not.

Speaking of joycons, I love the gimmick but am super aware/anxious everytime I play that they might fail on me so.. thanks internet.
Also can’t seem to agree that the dpad sucks as I pull off specials and combos much easier in Mk and Samsho with these. I also have mk on ps4 and always seem to whif moves there.
Endrant, carry on

Last edited:

Roufianos

Random question. Do Nintendo have anything set in Ancient Greece announced? I know Kid Icarus is set there, anything else?

Just stumbled upon some info at work that suggests they're planning something set there.

Hmm what's the chance that Zelda BOTW or Xenoblade 2 receive some kind budget reedition any time soon ?

I really want to add them to my collection but they are old so it would suck to pay Nintendo prices only to see them cheaper in few months

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Hmm what's the chance that Zelda BOTW or Xenoblade 2 receive some kind budget reedition any time soon ?

I really want to add them to my collection but they are old so it would suck to pay Nintendo prices only to see them cheaper in few months

No chance IMO.

BOTW still sells crazy well and isn't likely to see a budget edition until the end of the console life cycle.

Xenoblade games just don't get budget line releases and more often than not just disappear when stock sells out.

They're both well worth full price though. I've put in easily 150+ hours into each and intend to replay them again

Guys.
Switch has reignited my love for gaming which was lacking this gen.
I think it has to do with portability as I can’t get invested in other consoles, no matter how good games look due to not having proper gaming dedicated time.
But with this one, I turn it on while I put the kid to bed, do one quest in whatever rpg (w3, ds, ddogma, skyrim) or knock a few races in bp or nfs and call it a wrap. Have some spare time at night, finish a few MK11 fights and it’s super rewarding.
It also reignited my inner child playing Botw or the Nes online catalogue.
The variety of games on this console is amazing and it seems to feature my favourite ones with a few exceptions.

I’m now on my 2nd playthrough of Bayo 2 and I am amazed at discovering new stuff. Can’t wait for the hard modes, but my joycons do not.

Speaking of joycons, I love the gimmick but am super aware/anxious everytime I play that they might fail on me so.. thanks internet.
Also can’t seem to agree that the dpad sucks as I pull off specials and combos much easier in Mk and Samsho with these. I also have mk on ps4 and always seem to whif moves there.
Endrant, carry on

You are not alone in feeling this way. Gaming had become stale to me this past generation. Some of it was that I drained days of playing time in multiplayer FPS, but most of it was that I got married and had kids. I no longer could spend hours a day playing or filling up my weekends with binge sessions. It felt like a chore to play games because I had to put them down for weeks at a time due to lack of convenience. The Switch has reversed that for me and provided a huge variety of games that I can easily pick up and play. It’s getting close to the SNES, my favorite console, due to that variety. I get to play arcade games and other games I never had a chance to play while also getting some great new experiences, including indies. This is the most excited I’ve been playing video games since probably the PS2/GCN/Xbox era.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

The good thing is that you won't see them cheaper in a few months. It means no buyers remorse. Also the games hold their second hand value better than most. Buy physical, play to the finish, sell, it'll likely only cost you a fiver especially if you use something like dekudeals to find a cheap copy.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is actually out of print.

Edit: I should add that doesn't mean they won't print more but it is hard to find right now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom