• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
It's only 70 on Amazon, which is the same price PS5 games are charged. Never say Nintendo doesn't keep up with trends
Yes I know it's not Nintendo themselves

jZpZ1Hn.jpg
They forgot the censorship though.
It's all about dat Link's Awakening deal for me.
Fantastic game. Very whimsical. Get that no death ending.

Eevee86

Guys.
Switch has reignited my love for gaming which was lacking this gen.
I think it has to do with portability as I can’t get invested in other consoles, no matter how good games look due to not having proper gaming dedicated time.
But with this one, I turn it on while I put the kid to bed, do one quest in whatever rpg (w3, ds, ddogma, skyrim) or knock a few races in bp or nfs and call it a wrap. Have some spare time at night, finish a few MK11 fights and it’s super rewarding.
It also reignited my inner child playing Botw or the Nes online catalogue.
The variety of games on this console is amazing and it seems to feature my favourite ones with a few exceptions.

I’m now on my 2nd playthrough of Bayo 2 and I am amazed at discovering new stuff. Can’t wait for the hard modes, but my joycons do not.

Speaking of joycons, I love the gimmick but am super aware/anxious everytime I play that they might fail on me so.. thanks internet.
Also can’t seem to agree that the dpad sucks as I pull off specials and combos much easier in Mk and Samsho with these. I also have mk on ps4 and always seem to whif moves there.
Endrant, carry on
Pro Controller is entirely worth its price. Typically can be found for $60.

I have no idea what I’m doing in Fire Emblem. The game is dense.

My wife, who has never played video games before, and we are a bit older than some of you on here, has been playing Fire Emblem: Three Houses for the past couple of weeks. She's already at the end of the 2nd House, and loving every bit of it. After four decades, I finally was able to get her into gaming, and it's all thanks to the Nintendo Switch and Fire Emblem: Three Houses!

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You're wrong though

IMG_20171205_082142.jpg

What you don't know is that originally this Blade had a cupsize large enough for Galactus himself to have a motorboat session but they reduced it significantly for Western sensitivities.
Ears too small. She got little to no fanart even though she was a bunny. Then again many XC characters got little to no love outside the main cast.
Sort of, with a six inch claw coming out the back of them looking like high heels, haha.
nek1i52pumk11.jpg
Whatever gets you off Eeeveee.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
The original means a lot to me, I got a quote from it tattooed in my left arm.

DSC-0467.jpg

I'm yet to play XC2, but it looks good to me!!
People always talk about Majora's Mask being very melancholy but Link's Awakening did it first and did it better. Don't get me wrong Majora's Mask is great but Link's Awakening is just an incredible experience end to end.

Ears too small. She got little to no fanart even though she was a bunny. Then again many XC characters got little to no love outside the main cast.

Whatever gets you off Eeeveee.

To be fair though, the entire collection of blades in the game is really stupidly large. It makes sense that a lot of focus went to the characters everyone playing the game gets to see. I hope they do this again though, I had a lot of fun getting em all, trying them and doing their quests.

People always talk about Majora's Mask being very melancholy but Link's Awakening did it first and did it better. Don't get me wrong Majora's Mask is great but Link's Awakening is just an incredible experience end to end.

Absolutely, Majora's Mask is more overwhelmingly desolate, but LA has so many yearning undertones. It nails that feeling of missing something in a not outright sad way. It's a masterpiece, the only reason I haven't bought it yet is that I finished the original multiple times so it got pushed back a bit on my priorities list.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Xenoblade 2 is one of my favorite games on the Switch. I didn’t expect anything, and it blew me away. I can’t wait for Monolithsoft’s next game.
Agree. It was phenomenal. I have a few complaints about some of the RNG blade unlocks and the ability grind on the blades themselves but they are minor blemishes on what is arguably one of Nintendo's top three games this gen and a fantastic JRPG in general.

Absolutely, Majora's Mask is more overwhelmingly desolate, but LA has so many yearning undertones. It nails that feeling of missing something in a not outright sad way. It's a masterpiece, the only reason I haven't bought it yet is that I finished the original multiple times so it got pushed back a bit on my priorities list.
Exactly. You'll really enjoy the remake then. It doesn't have the DX photographer which is a shame but overall it is a fantastic remake.

Link's Awakening was always a simple childlike adventure with nostalgic undertones. Nostalgia is painful; a yearning to go to a place or time that no longer exists. The toy aesthetic adds another level of nostalgia. Nostalgia for childhood time spent playing with toys, the creativity and unfettered imagination of youth that allows a cardboard box to be a spaceship or a set of blocks to become a skyscraper, and for those who played the game when they were younger it offers nostalgia for the experience of playing a simple game on GameBoy. The game also serves as a reminder that our childhood, our lives, the stories we tell, and the experiences we have are all temporary, fleeting. It conveys the ache of not being able return to to those childhood times and the realization that we lack the self-awareness to realize what "the good old days" are. We are always looking to the future, to what's next but not often mindful of where we are. When we finally take a step forward we are stuck in the same loop, looking forward with anticipation while simultaneously looking backward aching to go to a place that we can no longer go. For these reasons the remake actually adds another layer of nostalgia upon the original. A marvelous effort on Nintendo's part. Everyone should play it.

Last edited:
Man, I'm still on the edge with regards to Hyrule Warriors: AoC. On one hand, the demo was entertaining and I love Zelda, especially Breath of the Wild... but on the other hand, Musou games aren't my thing.
I understand your trepidation. I'm not a huge musou fan either, but I do want to play more in the Breath of the Wild universe. I'm looking forward to jumping in this weekend.
e136f1d9ef42ee900e830bfaa20ea485a5ff9b8e.gifv

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You won't catch me talking about Fortnite.
I just think that, if you can get straight to point or rather if you can just point out what, you of course want to point your point across you should be able to do so as quickly as you possibly can. Rather than not stating your point or per se opinion in a small sentence that gets to the as I would say; pardon my french the fucking point. As my great grandfather would say why apply three coats of paint when you only need to apply one in a new wooden shack? Speaking of shacks have you guys noticed the lack of shacks in Nintendo games?

tenor.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
I just think that, if you can get straight to point or rather if you can just point out what, you of course want to point your point across you should be able to do so as quickly as you possibly can. Rather than not stating your point or per se opinion in a small sentence that gets to the as I would say; pardon my french the fucking point. As my great grandfather would say why apply three coats of paint when you only need to apply one in a new wooden shack? Speaking of shacks have you guys noticed the lack of shacks in Nintendo games?

tenor.gif
TL;DR?

Also, I have an Eva avatar and you want me to be more concise? Do you know how much that is asking of me?

Last edited:

Mr Branding

While it's great that the Switch has brought joy back to your gaming (it's done the same for me) - please don't do that. Be present. Parenting is the most important thing you'll ever do, so focus on getting it right.

You misunderstood methinks. I am present. I let him watch me play a bit of rayman or botw before him going to sleep. We spend plenty of quality time, no worries

Last edited:

That's fantastic! Sometimes I wish I had done my in color, but at the time I was scared of allergies and shit lol.

Why en ingles?

They didn't translate these games to massive donged BR runes. Fun fact, I actually learned how to speak english playing Zelda. My dad helped me somewhat when I was playing OoT, but he was a shit translator. I still remember one of those gossip stones that say princess Zelda was a bit of a tomboy and my dad translated that as if it meant she was a boy. I was very confused.

When we finally take a step forward we are stuck in the same loop, looking forward with anticipation while simultaneously looking backward aching to go to a place that we can no longer go.

Damn that got way too close to how I feel most of my life. Maybe that's why Zelda resonates with people so much, a lot of games in the series involves the passage of time in an almost Ozymandias kind of way. We tend to get attached to the places in the past while knowing it's gone. It's bittersweet, but comforting.

Cutty Flam

Banned
It's possible for the next year to top it with BOTW2 and MH Rise. I even expect Rise to sell more than MH World's 16 millions in its lifetime with higher attach rate of its expansion compared to World's 6 millions.

BOTW2 is a no brainer with a new Switch model coming. It's gonna be a repeat of Switch launch numbers again.
I think it would be overly optimistic to expect BOTW2 to release 2021. I think 2022 is the year, for several reasons

1) Trend of releases for 3D TLOZ games has been 2 years, 3 years, 3 years, 5 years, 6 years w/ OoT—MM—TWW—TP—SS—BOTW so it’s likely going to be around a 5-6 year project in the works

2) Might be a difficult year to release such a game. Let’s say BOTW2 is ready to release at some point in 2021, would it be competing with major news headlines that the entire world will be focusing on w/ anything revolving around the pandemic and the newly discovered virus and disease? They might hold off until 2022 because everyone is so scatterbrained and focused on health survival. Idk too much about marketing but the timing probably has to be immaculate since this will be the follow up to arguably the most successful and ambitious game for the Nintendo Switch. Might have to wait until the pandemic gets under control is my best guess, before Nintendo decides to claim it’s release date

3) Director of the game is Hidemaro Fujibayashi who now has the most TLoZ titles completed with him as director but it took him 5 years to make SS and then 6 years to create BOTW so I’m thinking tje next installment comes out 2022 at its earliest chance

If I had to guess when: November 19th, 2022

MagnesG

Banned
I think it would be overly optimistic to expect BOTW2 to release 2021. I think 2022 is the year, for several reasons

1) Trend of releases for 3D TLOZ games has been 2 years, 3 years, 3 years, 5 years, 6 years w/ OoT—MM—TWW—TP—SS—BOTW so it’s likely going to be around a 5-6 year project in the works

2) Might be a difficult year to release such a game. Let’s say BOTW2 is ready to release at some point in 2021, would it be competing with major news headlines that the entire world will be focusing on w/ anything revolving around the pandemic and the newly discovered virus and disease? They might hold off until 2022 because everyone is so scatterbrained and focused on health survival. Idk too much about marketing but the timing probably has to be immaculate since this will be the follow up to arguably the most successful and ambitious game for the Nintendo Switch. Might have to wait until the pandemic gets under control is my best guess, before Nintendo decides to claim it’s release date

3) Director of the game is Hidemaro Fujibayashi who now has the most TLoZ titles completed with him as director but it took him 5 years to make SS and then 6 years to create BOTW so I’m thinking tje next installment comes out 2022 at its earliest chance

If I had to guess when: November 19th, 2022
Majora's Mask only took 2 years to make though following Ocarina of Time's 1998. BOTW2 is the sequel using same engine as BOTW, similar to MM/OoT. I think 4 years of development (2021 launch) is ample enough.

Then again they could be holding off the launch like they always do, so 2022 is possible too.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Majora's Mask only took 2 years to make though following Ocarina of Time's 1998. BOTW2 is the sequel using same engine as BOTW, similar to MM/OoT. I think 4 years of development (2021 launch) is ample enough.

Then again they could be holding off the launch like they always do, so 2022 is possible too.
Majora's Mask is an anomaly. No other game could possibly be that good with only two years time dedicated towards its development. I don't even want it to release 2021, Fujibayashi can take as long as he likes or needs; ever since Skyward Sword I've been a bit concerned with his work even though he balanced it all out with BOTW. I'd rather wait an extra year and have a better game and experience

Plus, even if they use the same engine, they're likely going to reintroduce mini-dungeons, dungeons, temples, maybe something else a different concept. The same engine being used should make the process a lot more fluid but if they expect to top BOTW it's probably going to take 5-6 years. It's something Zelda fans should probably expect. And another thing; Fujibayashi still hasn't proven to us he knows how to create meaningful sidequests yet. SS he bombed in that respect, and BOTW's sidequests are a bit better but they are still much too lacking in comparison to OOT, MM, WW. His goal is actually to make the greatest Zelda game, so I think he knows what he must do and in all likelihood it's not going to be four years. It would be shocking to see them make that much progress that quickly. I'm telling you, this guy Fujibayashi takes his time. I'm willing to bet it releases 2022, I'm that confident

MagnesG

Banned
Majora's Mask is an anomaly. No other game could possibly be that good with only two years time dedicated towards its development. I don't even want it to release 2021, Fujibayashi can take as long as he likes or needs; ever since Skyward Sword I've been a bit concerned with his work even though he balanced it all out with BOTW. I'd rather wait an extra year and have a better game and experience

Plus, even if they use the same engine, they're likely going to reintroduce mini-dungeons, dungeons, temples, maybe something else a different concept. The same engine being used should make the process a lot more fluid but if they expect to top BOTW it's probably going to take 5-6 years. It's something Zelda fans should probably expect. And another thing; Fujibayashi still hasn't proven to us he knows how to create meaningful sidequests yet. SS he bombed in that respect, and BOTW's sidequests are a bit better but they are still much too lacking in comparison to OOT, MM, WW. His goal is actually to make the greatest Zelda game, so I think he knows what he must do and in all likelihood it's not going to be four years. It would be shocking to see them make that much progress that quickly. I'm telling you, this guy Fujibayashi takes his time. I'm willing to bet it releases 2022, I'm that confident
We'll see, I just thought that 4 years are more than enough for a same engine sequel regardless of the anecdotes.

It's possible that the launch wil be tied with the next Switch too and I'm more on them releasing both in 2021.

Top Bottom