• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaikai Streaming Service: Either Sony or Microsoft Will Bow out of the console race

guek

Banned
Sony was quick to shoot down rumors that a PS4 would be announced at this year's E3, but things just got a lot more interesting all of a sudden, as cloud gaming service Gaikai has commented that one of the current console manufacturers actually won't be creating another console for the next generation. Speaking during CES, Nanea Reeves, chief product officer for Gaikai, predicted, "Not all of the current console makers will have one more generation. That will be the big news at E3."

If true, wow. With Wii U guaranteed to launch in 2012, that means it's either going to be Microsoft or Sony. Our take is that it's probably Sony because financially the company would have a tougher time with the huge R&D and manufacturing for yet another new console.

Beyond that, it's easy to speculate that perhaps Sony is working on some major cloud gaming partnership with Gaikai instead of devoting resources to another piece of hardware. We'll bring you more as we hear it!

source: industrygamers.com

Probably BS but thought there should be a topic on it. I'm not sure who this guy/girl is. If there's already a thread on this, please delete this one

edit: WHOOPS, I put PS4 in the title instead of PS3 *facepalm*

eqANA.jpg

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Speaking during CES, Nanea Reeves, chief product officer for Gaikai, predicted, "Not all of the current console makers will have one more generation. That will be the big news at E3."

0382_s7tr.gif

Sony clearly bought all those studios to make a mega 3rd party.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
"Sony was quick to shoot down rumors that a PS4 would be announced at this year's E3, but things just got a lot more interesting all of a sudden, as cloud gaming service Gaikai has commented that one of the current console manufacturers actually won't be creating another console for the next generation. Speaking during CES, Nanea Reeves, chief product officer for Gaikai, predicted, "Not all of the current console makers will have one more generation. That will be the big news at E3."

If true, wow. With Wii U guaranteed to launch in 2012, that means it's either going to be Microsoft or Sony. Our take is that it's probably Sony because financially the company would have a tougher time with the huge R&D and manufacturing for yet another new console.

Beyond that, it's easy to speculate that perhaps Sony is working on some major cloud gaming partnership with Gaikai instead of devoting resources to another piece of hardware. We'll bring you more as we hear it!"

Key point is bolded. Any talk of any hardware manufacturer not making another system after NEXT gen is just ridiculous at this point, and serves no purpose.

Somehow I think it's likely to be Xbox, in terms of its features being spread out across different Microsoft devices instead.

That would be a happier outcome than Sony simply dropping out.

That is making the rather huge assumption that this isn't total bollocks.

W1SSY

Obviously it is Nintendo because they are just releasing a console for the PS3 and 360 area.
just kidding

Wasn't Sony losing a lot of money and the reason given was they they were doing a lot of R&D? I could be wrong but I thought I read something on here about it.

It's possible that Microsoft will do the Same thing to Sony that Sony did to sega with dreamcast. Company is financially in trouble everywhere and with vita not doing well along with more money needed for a ps4.

krae_man

I think Sony or Microsoft could come out with a new console with slightly better specs that are only for non gaming applications so they can really become the all in one box under the TV they want.

Foffy

Banned
Could it be a platform as a streaming service? Or by not having a successor there's a belief that neither Sony or Microsoft will continue with games?

I would not buy a cloud serviced platform, sorry. My internet is spastic, and you have the whole issue that many of these companies would have with an online service that one idealizes they could have.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
In the case that this is true, it could clearly be a matter of semantics. Not dropping out of the industry, but rather continuing in a way that bucks the "next generation console" formula.

Mudkips

Banned
It's Nintendo because th Wii U is a current gen device using next gen duct tape.

And Slowtaku is always gets me.

a tablet and phone can now do ps3 quality games. Those tegra grpahic cards are the future. That's what nvidia said in its conference. The advances made on these are to fast for consoles to keep up. Now you can stream anything that a tablet does onto the TV. Cloud gaming and services are the future. Consoles will die inevitably

Eric C

Next Xbox to not be a game's console was a rumor no?

So the next XBOX is going to be a tablet and Sony said they aren't showing a console at this E3... So that means no Sony console at all according to this threads rumor.

Wii-U the only videogame console next generation.

mclaren777

I was thought this was a fairly well-established prediction by now.

I certainly don't think they will have successors in the traditional sense.

Rat Salad

Banned
If there's no next gen gaming console for Sony this place is gonna have a shitload of bitter fanboys. Too many Sony fans here wouldn't be able to handle something like this.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Lady is just overtalking her product.

Sony's commented on cloud streaming very recently wrt next-gen. It's not going to be on the cards in a central way.

House said Sony is interested in exploring all business models for future console abilities such as streaming, but, for now, “quality high-definition console gaming” is where the market is as “there are still some significant barriers” to streaming solutions.

“Whether it’s in mobile or cloud-based services, there are opportunities there for more casual content and in our case potentially for legacy content, which we would definitely like to explore,” he said. “But I think we are a way away from being able to deliver the full-on top-end experience like that.

Hirai at CES, when asked about cloud stuff:

"It's very important that we continue to have a dedicated home-based console.
"Relying solely on networks to deliver content is unfortunately just not possible. "

Tsuruta (SCE CTO) in December, talking about future systems:

“We don’t want to limit what people do on the console and we will have to do more on the server side, account for some aspects of thin client computing. Many people like the ability to play simultaneously, and when the networks are available we would like to open the platform up to more complex content through them… But we will have to wait for a while because current networks have limitations in bandwidth. A typical PlayStation console game is 50GByte – transferring those kinds of size over most of today’s [public IP] networks won’t work. But more important is the experience. The [public IP] networks cannot yet deliver it.”

So while there will be some features that aim to make the cloud-based gaming experience more immersive – “and, this is key, more secure”, Tsuruta adds – the focus remains local.

McLovin

Most likely not true, but I'd rather have one high end console anyways. Its a huge drain on resources to make a game multi-platform. I'd be happy if either one of them turned into a game dev like sega(minus the drastic drop in quality of games).

Marco1

If it is Sony then it just shows how much damage one bad console launch can do to your company.
Although I still believe we will see PS4 and nextbox.
I live in the UK and streaming the next uncharted would still be shitty were I live.

Top Bottom