• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaikai Streaming Service: Either Sony or Microsoft Will Bow out of the console race

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
It definitely isn't SONY IMO, not this gen, they have invested too much in first party studios, and their big teams are very silent about their next projects, so that probably means PS4 games. It's true that there isn't a big incentive for Sony to continue on the market, PS1 had CDs, PS2 DVDs and PS3 Blu Rays, PS4 has nothing, unless they want to sell you 3D helmets, but they have invested too much to get out right now.

About MSFT, it's true they've got rid of most of their first party force, so it may make more sense for them to go in another direction, let's remember that MSFT has lost a lot money with both their consoles, and it has been a really bad business for them overall; also they really don't have much reason to be in this business anyway.

I vote complete bullshit, but if I had to choose which one pulls out from the market, I would say that it's MSFT (if the only choices are those, because I don't expect neither to do that).

Sadist

your_opinion.jpg

Dragon

Banned
If it is Sony then it just shows how much damage one bad console launch can do to your company.

It's more than one bad console launch. It's a console launch and a handheld launch.

It's their TV business being utter shit for years upon years upon years as well :)

Takao

Banned
If Sony keeps its 10-year plan, we might as well call its next home console gen-after-next.

10 year plan doesn't mean the hardware doesn't see a successor in ten years, but rather the platform is designed so that it can be supported for 10 years. Both PS2, and PS1 followed that philosophy, though PS3 and PSP (especially in the west) struggle with that.

[Nintex]

IBM and Digital Foundries(AMD) just set up another SOI production line for what seems to be a deal for a next-gen console:

http://www.hpcwire.com/hpcwire/2012..._to_share_semiconductor_fabs_in_new_york.html
The chips are based on IBM's 32nm, Silicon-on-Insulator (SOI) technology, which was jointly developed with GLOBALFOUNDRIES and other members of IBM's Process Development Alliance with early research at the University at Albany's College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering. The technology vastly improves microprocessor performance in multi-core designs and speeds the movement of graphics in gaming, networking, and other image intensive, multi-media applications. The SOI process was used to build the microprocessor that powered IBM Watson, the question-answering computer that won the Jeopardy! quiz show in early 2011.

The Wii U CPU is to be made at the Fishkill factory at 45nm so unless this is an upgraded Wii U design it can only be the next PlayStation chip, Xbox 720 chip or a line set-up to produce both. Because the only IBM/AMD partnership products that I know of are the consoles that they engineer very well(Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox 360 Slim).

About MSFT, it's true they've got rid of most of their first party force, so it may make more sense for them to go in another direction, let's remember that MSFT has lost a lot money with both their consoles, and it has been a really bad business for them overall; also they really don't have much reason to be in this business anyway.

Yes, 66,000,000 Xbox 360s and 18,000,000 Kinects... what a WOEFUL performance.

JWong

Banned
It's possible that Microsoft will do the Same thing to Sony that Sony did to sega with dreamcast. Company is financially in trouble everywhere and with vita not doing well along with more money needed for a ps4.

Ummm Sega was purely a game company. Sony is a Movie/Music/Electronic powerhouse.

If anything, this analogy works better with Nintendo.

Davidion

I think this might be a misnomer; while one of them may "bow" out of the hardware race, they may be moving towards a multi-hardware or even a cloud-based solution which bypasses the typical console hardware archetype.

Why do you say that?

How often to you get to see a black hole form?

gcubed

in other news, premiere fried chicken provider Popeye's says that one of the main burger chains will be going out of business

Consider this possibility:

Sony rides the PS3 into the sunset, subsisting on WiiU crossports for years until it's time for the Vita's revision, which will be as powerful as the next next generation and compete with the XBox 1080. Also it will connect to Sony brand TVs and be both a portable and console in one.

Marco1

It definitely isn't SONY IMO, not this gen, they have invested too much in first party studios, and their big teams are very silent about their next projects, so that probably means PS4 games. It's true that there isn't a big incentive for Sony to continue on the market, PS1 had CDs, PS2 DVDs and PS3 Blu Rays, PS4 has nothing, unless they want to sell you 3D helmets, but they have invested too much to get out right now.

I vote complete bullshit, but if I had to choose which one pulls out from the market, I would say that it's MSFT (if the only choices are those, because I don't expect neither to do that).

MS, seriously? The xbox turned MS back into a household brand.

goldenpp72

Is the XBOX division within Microsoft profitable overall? Is it even possible to determine that?

Consider the home and entertainment division has been massively profitable in recent years despite every non xbox venture flopping, probably.

Grecco

The fact that Sony has "invested heavily" in first party doesnt mean a whole lot of anything. Those "first parties" can easily transition into Xbox or Wii U development. Some of the companies who have released "first party software" already moved on to multiplataform development

FreeMufasa

Hmmm. With the next Wii and Xbox likely being underpowered, I can see Sony skipping next gen, riding the PSV/PS3 wave. And then they'll have the next installment ready after next gen.

Mindlog

I see Sony's very large studio base as incentive to leave the hardware market. They put out a lot of great expensive games that would do well with a wider audience. I would liken it to Sony's movie content not being limited to certain Sony centric system setups.

but really i don't give this rumor much credence
and i like gakai

Zimbardo

i would love to see Sony ditch the console and turn into a publisher like Sega.

bring Uncharted, God of War, etc. to Steam please!

mephixto

Banned
MS bows out of the console making business. PS4 to run on XBL Gold. I called it.

If you think about it a little it could be possible, Microsoft needs a storage disc for their next console and the only tech avaible is Blu-ray discs and Sony is not going giving that for free and in the other hand you have Sony with a poor implemented online service incapable of compete against Xbox live.

Sony build the hardware and Microsoft provide the service, only possible in Wonderland. lol

[Nintex]

To be fair despite IBM and AMD crying because no one will buy their chips there's evidence for both companies to go this route...

1. Microsoft:
No Xbox 720 at CES, it was heavily rumored, maybe pulled?

Don Coyner replaced by the Xbox Live lady:
Don Coyner, Microsoft’s General Manager of Design and Planning, will be leaving his position as head of the Xbox design and experience group. Instead, that job will go to Emma Williams, the General Manager of Xbox Experiences, whose most recent project was last week's Xbox Live revamp. The group she will be heading is a combined hardware / user experience team charged with providing a complete design vision for the platform.

Opening multiple new studios for software development, with a focus on Kinect and intending to release Xbox Live Games on iOS and other devices. Windows 8 and Metro will have these functions as well and run on a variety of tablets, laptops and other devices. Rumor has it that 360 games will run on Windows 8 as well.

2. Sony
Credit outlook is 'negative', PS Vita didn't launch so well, Sony doesn't seem to be in a position to launch a PS4 anytime soon.

No more Kutaragi to lead the charge :(

Partnerships with Capcom, Square Enix and others undermined by Nintendo.

Sony BigBig and Cambridge closed. Cambridge was mostly a technology outlet I believe.

No new media format after Blu-Ray to pimp.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
LOL if anybody believes this. Look at gofreaks thread. Look at Microsofts latest numbers. Now think.

what? MS sell a lot of xboxes so they wouldn't do this? They want the living room, they always have. If they can own the living room with a cheaper bit of silicon via streaming, its feasible they'd try. With their online infrastructure they're perhaps better placed to give it a go. Plus with a streaming box under the TV its well placed for TV/movie/music streaming as well as games.

And the success of kinect might just persuade them that core dollars are nice, but there are a lot more casual users out there so why bother going hardcore?

Acosta

Second time in a row I hear Microsoft next console is not exactly a console. Interesting.

It´s not going to be Sony, that's for sure, that would imply closing SCE, would sink billions as there is no way they can become third party and they have no replacement for that business, they will stick with it.

But MS is in position to be more radical about this, their natural enviroment is service more that selling hardware. They have Kinect, they have Windows, they could try a more profitable business than selling consoles. Big revenues, less expenses.

Not that I think it will happen, but I could see some radical shift.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Yes, 66,000,000 Xbox 360s and 18,000,000 Kinects... what a WOEFUL performance.
What does that have to do with winning money? MSFT has lost money during the Xbox 360 generation (mainly because of extended warranty and shitty hardware), and let's not even talk about the Xbox generation.

They wanted to win money with the 360, but they have expended more than they earned, bad business for them. I said I don't expect either to pull out, but I can see why MSFT would be less interested than Sony.

It's true that the Xbox helped MSFT to have a much better image (I remember those pre-Xbox days just too well), but that already happened, MSFT has the good will of people, Windows 7 is a good OS, as good as it gets, the Xboxs are functioning now, but what reason do they have to continue on a market that has costed them billions of dollars? A new console means bleeding money you don't know you'll gain... Unless you want them to basically make a new Wii...
The fact that Sony has "invested heavily" in first party doesnt mean a whole lot of anything. Those "first parties" can easily transition into Xbox or Wii U development. Some of the companies who have released "first party software" already moved on to multiplataform development
LOL, just see how the SEGA first party teams are doing now. If you buy them, who'll buy them back? I'm sorry, but Sony has invested a lot of money, to me that means they will definitely continue making consoles.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
If you think about it a little it could be possible, Microsoft needs a storage disc for their next console and the only tech avaible is Blu-ray discs and Sony is not going giving that for free and in the other hand you have Sony with a poor implemented online service incapable of compete against Xbox live.

Sony build the hardware and Microsoft provide the service, only possible in Wonderland. lol

Sony isn't the only "owner" of blu-ray.

mephixto

Banned
[Nintex];34193865 said:
To be fair despite IBM and AMD crying because no one will buy their chips there's evidence for both companies to go this route...

1. Microsoft:
No Xbox 720 at CES, it was heavily rumored, maybe pulled?

Don Coyner replaced by the Xbox Live lady:

Opening multiple new studios for software development, with a focus on Kinect and intending to release Xbox Live Games on iOS and other devices. Windows 8 and Metro will have these functions as well and run on a variety of tablets, laptops and other devices. Rumor has it that 360 games will run on Windows 8 as well.

2. Sony
Credit outlook is 'negative', PS Vita didn't launch so well, Sony doesn't seem to be in a position to launch a PS4 anytime soon.

No more Kutaragi to lead the charge :(

Partnerships with Capcom, Square Enix and others undermined by Nintendo.

Sony BigBig and Cambridge closed. Cambridge was mostly a technology outlet I believe.

No new media format after Blu-Ray to pimp.

I'm pretty sure that Sony will stick with the Cell next gen maybe and improved version with more cores.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Let's clarify something: if MS, Sony, or Nintendo could economically and effectively deliver games to you from the cloud, they would love to do it. There are big and obvious advantages there in terms of controlling piracy etc. And it could be very efficient vs manufacturing lots of 'heavy' client boxes.

It wouldn't be about 'giving up' on the console race, or going third party. The console race would just turn into the service race. They'd all still want to be gatekeepers, platform holders - as gakai and onlive are trying to be with cloud streaming today. You'd probably even still have (tiny) little boxes with controllers and a Nintendo or MS or Sony logo emblazoned on it.

But I think it's pretty certain that none of the three console manufacturers think it's going to be time to switch to a cloud-based model any time very soon, as a core of their business. They haven't even gone exclusively digital, and there are much more difficult barriers to going exclusively cloud. I think you'll see them all, sooner or later, use cloud streaming for different applications (instant demos seems obvious), and maybe even start offering their libraries streamed over the air as an option (Sony even recently suggested that might do it with some legacy titles), but a box that can locally do all the work won't start disappearing next gen.

Sorry but I'm having a brainfart here.
Explain?

Today gofreak posted a thread with Sonys Chief Tech Architect detailing there plans for there future console and beyond. MS just released a presser detailing there insane numbers.

what? MS sell a lot of xboxes so they wouldn't do this? They want the living room, they always have. If they can own the living room with a cheaper bit of silicon via streaming, its feasible they'd try. With their online infrastructure they're perhaps better placed to give it a go. Plus with a streaming box under the TV its well placed for TV/movie/music streaming as well as games.

And the success of kinect might just persuade them that core dollars are nice, but there are a lot more casual users out there so why bother going hardcore?
Your talking about Microsoft investing in a Cloud Gaming service and in the same breathe say there targeting casual people?

Marco1

Haven't Epic stated they have a certain next-gen specs to work on?
Personally I think MS are the company to try and get Epic on hand again and most likely the company to have provided them with the specs.
Also Epic have no plans to work with vita so their relationship with Sony is surely tainted.

inky

This is the kind of post I come to GAF for:

Thanks guys, never change!

Top Bottom